» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Young Dutch woman willingly joined FARC rebels

Written By: Henk on 09/10/07 at 5:05 pm

BOGOTA, Colombia: A young Dutch woman, wearing combat fatigues and trekking through the jungle, has appeared in a video broadcast on local television pleading with family members to forgive her for joining Colombia's largest rebel group.

The undated video of the self-declared rebel "Eillen" is the latest chapter in a saga that for the past week has captivated Colombians unaccustomed to seeing foreigners take up arms in its bloody, half-century civil conflict.

"Mother will explain why I wasn't able to communicate with you all," Eillen, speaking to relatives in Dutch, said in the video first broadcast Friday night on RCN television. "I know for mom and dad this was a very difficult period."

RCN provided a translation of the video into Spanish.

Eillen's existence was revealed this week when El Tiempo newspaper printed what it said were excerpts from the Dutch woman's handwritten diary, which was captured by the army in a recent raid on a guerrilla camp.

Read full article here.

Subject: Re: Young Dutch woman willingly joined FARC rebels

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/10/07 at 5:17 pm

You might have heard of a gal named Patricia Hearst!
::)

Written By: Henk on 09/11/07 at 12:12 am

You might have heard of a gal named Patricia Hearst!
::)

Yes I have, and I can see the similarities.

Still...wasn't Hearst kidnapped before she joined? This young woman here joined voluntarily...

Written By: philbo on 09/11/07 at 5:09 am

Is it just me that thinks she's out of her FARCing mind?

Written By: Henk on 09/11/07 at 12:48 pm

Is it just me that thinks she's out of her FARCing mind?

FARCing mad, I say... ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/11/07 at 5:36 pm

Yes I have, and I can see the similarities.

Still...wasn't Hearst kidnapped before she joined? This young woman here joined voluntarily...

Is there evidence she joined before the release of the video?  She might very well have, but under duress people say and do all kinds of surprising things.

Written By: Henk on 09/12/07 at 12:10 am

Is there evidence she joined before the release of the video?  She might very well have, but under duress people say and do all kinds of surprising things.

According to the newspaper article, she already joined in 2002...Her mother travelled to Colombia in 2005, to try and persuade her daughter to come back. The video is undated. There are 2006 entries to be found there, though.

My concern is: does the involvement of one foreigner make this an international conflict, instead of an internal affair?

Check for new replies or respond here...