» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: You're doing a heck of job on our currency valuation Bushie...

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/14/07 at 1:24 pm

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?from=USD&to=CAD&amt=1&t=5y

no, it's not just the housing market this summer that caused that drop, since this is a five year chart. 

Guess I'll think twice about Canadian coins in my change, they make me richer now.

Subject: Re: You're doing a heck of job on our currency valuation Bushie...

Written By: Henk on 09/14/07 at 1:37 pm

Well, you already knew this but seeing it in a chart makes it even worse:

USD to EUR

Of course, you're all invited to join us. ::)

Written By: Paul on 09/14/07 at 1:47 pm

Give it time and we'll be frogmarched in!  ::)

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/14/07 at 1:52 pm

Well, you already knew this but seeing it in a chart makes it even worse:

USD to EUR

as long we leave the nutjobs who caused it behind right?

that's a 25%-30% drop.  The Canadian one is more like a 40% drop.

Written By: Henk on 09/14/07 at 1:58 pm

Give it time and we'll be frogmarched in!  ::)

There doesn't seem to be a reason for you to join...GBP to EUR

as long we leave the nutjobs who caused it behind right?

We've got enough nutjobs of ourselves thankyouverymuch.

that's a 25%-30% drop.  The Canadian one is more like a 40% drop.

We're planning on invading Canada. Don't tell anyone. ;)

Written By: Paul on 09/14/07 at 2:24 pm

There doesn't seem to be a reason for you to join...GBP to EUR

Don't let the ECB hear you say that!  ;)

(In any case, there probably wasn't much reason for you to join...the Guilder could hold its own...)

But Hey-Ho! We'll get it eventually...no matter how much the 'Little Englanders' scream and shout!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/14/07 at 8:49 pm

I'll take the rubber cement out of my ears if somebody will please tell my why George W. Bush is a great president?

I mean, I watch FOX News all day and as near as I can tell the only bad thing Bush ever did was let too many Mexicans in!
:D

Written By: Red Ant on 09/14/07 at 10:39 pm

Ten years ago a US dollar was worth 1.37 Canadian.

At this rate, vending machines here won't reject Canadian quarters, they'll reject ours!

(on a side note, does this mean a BK Double Whopper Meal in Canada costs ~$10 US now?)

Ant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/15/07 at 10:02 pm

Ten years ago a US dollar was worth 1.37 Canadian.

At this rate, vending machines here won't reject Canadian quarters, they'll reject ours!

(on a side note, does this mean a BK Double Whopper Meal in Canada costs ~$10 US now?)

Ant

$4.00 from each BK Double Whopper meal goes to the National Health to pay for your future heart bypass surgeries and hypolipidemic agents.
:-\\

Written By: Red Ant on 09/15/07 at 10:58 pm

$4.00 from each BK Double Whopper meal goes to the National Health to pay for your future heart bypass surgeries and hypolipidemic agents.
:-\\

You're probably not far off: I remember Canada having a 14% sales tax when I was there last. I believe 7% was local and 7% federal was how it broke down.

Ant

Written By: limblifter on 09/16/07 at 10:37 am

You're probably not far off: I remember Canada having a 14% sales tax when I was there last. I believe 7% was local and 7% federal was how it broke down.

Ant

Here in Quebec the provincial sales tax (7.5%) is piggybacked onto the federal sales tax (6%). Yup, paying tax on tax baby! Every province is different though.

Written By: Red Ant on 09/16/07 at 12:37 pm

Here in Quebec the provincial sales tax (7.5%) is piggybacked onto the federal sales tax (6%). Yup, paying tax on tax baby! Every province is different though.

I was in Montreal. There were places that didn't like Americans, and offered even money, which at the time was a horrific deal on our end.

Ant

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/16/07 at 8:04 pm

"Whenever destroyers appear among men, they start by destroying money, for money is men's protection and the base of a moral existence. Destroyers seize gold and leave to its owners a counterfeit pile of paper. This kills all objective standards and delivers men into the arbitrary power of an arbitrary setter of values. Gold was an objective value, an equivalent of wealth produced. Paper is a mortgage on wealth that does not exist, backed by a gun aimed at those who are expected to produce it. Paper is a check drawn by legal looters upon an account which is not theirs: upon the virtue of the victims. Watch for the day when it becomes, marked: 'Account overdrawn.'"

"In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation. There is no safe store of value. If there were, the government would have to make its holding illegal, as was done in the case of gold. If everyone decided, for example, to convert all his bank deposits to silver or copper or any other good, and thereafter declined to accept checks as payment for goods, bank deposits would lose their purchasing power and government-created bank credit would be worthless as a claim on goods. The financial policy of the welfare state requires that there be no way for the owners of wealth to protect themselves.

This is the shabby secret of the welfare statists' tirades against gold. Deficit spending is simply a scheme for the confiscation of wealth. Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights. If one grasps this, one has no difficulty in understanding the statists' antagonism toward the gold standard."

One of these quotes is from Ayn Rand, whackjob in desperate need of an editor.  The other is from a guy named Alan Greenspan, who used to hang out with Rand.  You might have heard of Greenspan.  He went on to bigger and better things.

I don't personally support a return to the gold standard.  And yet, I remember $USD 28/barrel oil and $USD 250/oz gold.  And here we sit at $USD 80/barrel oil and $USD 700/oz gold.  Coincidence.  Gotta be coincidence.

Check for new replies or respond here...