» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Bush Derangement Syndrome

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/24/07 at 1:30 am

Anyone here have BDS?

Bush Derangement Syndrome (BDS) is a pejorative political term coined by the American conservative political columnist Charles Krauthammer in a 2003 column.

The term BDS refers to a purported tendency by some American liberals to blame President George W. Bush for virtually every ill in the world. It also purportedly refers to opposing a position advocated by the President just because he supports it, regardless of the position's merits. The term has been used in newspaper columns and editorials, on talk radio and in the conservative blogosphere.

Krauthammer, a former psychiatrist who earned his M.D. from Harvard Medical School, defined BDS as "the acute onset of paranoia in otherwise normal people in reaction to the policies, the presidency—nay—the very existence of George W. Bush". The term reflects a belief that some criticisms of President Bush—for example, a description of President Bush as the greatest current threat to American lives—are of emotional origins rather than based on facts or logic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_Derangement_Syndrome

Subject: Re: Bush Derangement Syndrome

Written By: philbo on 09/24/07 at 4:09 am

Anyone here have BDS?

Yep.  I use it every day (well, Borland Developer Studio, that is).

Though Bush Derangement Syndrome does sound like it could be taken more than one way (could you cure it by combing your pubes, for example), something similar did exist here during the latter part of Thatcher's reign - her changes were a decidedly mixed blessing, yet on the one hand you had people who thought she could do no wrong, and on the other those who thought she could do no right.

Written By: Tia on 09/24/07 at 9:38 am

maybe everyone hates bush because he actually really does suck? anyone wanna cite a rousing bush success that would indicate we SHOULDN'T revile him as among the worst presidents in american history? because the evidence of his incompetence really is quite overwhelming, sorry. :(

Written By: philbo on 09/24/07 at 9:46 am

True, he really does suck, and he has to be one of the worst presidents ever (if not *the* worst).  And evidence of competence does seem conspicuous by its absence.  However, that does not mean that *everything* he does is wrong/malicious/evil, etc.  To react as though that is the case is an irrational "derangement" (moore or less)

...and just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you...

Written By: Tia on 09/24/07 at 10:04 am

True, he really does suck, and he has to be one of the worst presidents ever (if not *the* worst).  And evidence of competence does seem conspicuous by its absence.  However, that does not mean that *everything* he does is wrong/malicious/evil, etc.  To react as though that is the case is an irrational "derangement" (moore or less)

...and just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you...
well, i think what we’re seeing in bush is a symptom of the collapse of a broader ideology. bush comes at the spearhead of a political movement, you know -- a confluence of free-marketeers, militarist conservatives who want “full spectrum dominance” (in other words, military domination over the entire planet), and christian fundamentalists. angry liberals who attribute all the horrors of the past 6 1/2 years to bush personally actually do the right wing a service. the failures of the bush presidency are the failure of conservative ideology in general, not the actions of a single lunatic president or anything like that.

i actually don’t think bush personally has much to do with his administration’s policies. he rather plainly doesn’t even understand what’s going on, i doubt he’s making many decisions.

Written By: Jessica on 09/24/07 at 10:05 am

I do. I blame him for our economy, for global warming, for Jesus being crucified, for the black plague, for the great London fire, for the Civil War, both World Wars, Korea, and Vietnam, and for letting the Backstreet Boys make a comeback album.

Written By: philbo on 09/24/07 at 11:58 am

I do. I blame him for our economy, for global warming, for Jesus being crucified, for the black plague, for the great London fire, for the Civil War, both World Wars, Korea, and Vietnam, and for letting the Backstreet Boys make a comeback album.

My favourite post of the day.  Hell, of the year so far :D.  In ascending order of importance, presumably?

angry liberals who attribute all the horrors of the past 6 1/2 years to bush personally actually do the right wing a service. the failures of the bush presidency are the failure of conservative ideology in general, not the actions of a single lunatic president or anything like that.

i actually don’t think bush personally has much to do with his administration’s policies. he rather plainly doesn’t even understand what’s going on, i doubt he’s making many decisions.

I'd agree with that, yes.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/24/07 at 12:15 pm

What? You don't blame him for Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, O.J. & Michael Jackson, too?

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 09/24/07 at 1:56 pm

maybe everyone hates bush because he actually really does suck? anyone wanna cite a rousing bush success that would indicate we SHOULDN'T revile him as among the worst presidents in american history? because the evidence of his incompetence really is quite overwhelming, sorry. :(

As it stands, only James Buchanen could be considered a worse President.. he essentially sat by and twiddled his thumbs whilst the Union fell apart around him. Bush hasn't yet ignored the country falling to pieces, but he's done a damn fine job in polarizing the population. Personally I think he's even worse than Harding, yes, Harding sat back and let his buddies plunder the treasury, Bush himself has plundered the treasury, creating a National Debt somewhere in the region of 5 times the debt accumulated in the previous 250 some years of the countries existence.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/24/07 at 3:55 pm

For Christ sake, even the Repug hopefulls are distancing themselves from Lil' Georgie.  At a conference over the weekend, the Repug biggies (I almost typed "piggies") spoke, and they ALL avoided reference to the little man.  They want him to stay in Washington, or maybe better, in Crawford.  And he is responsible for Brittny, O.J. and even Barry Manilow.

Written By: Tia on 09/24/07 at 5:04 pm

i've heard this BDS catchphrase before, a lot of it from c-span callers (i listen to c-span too much  :-[ ) and i have a funny feeling it might backfire... the worse things get, the more people are likely to embrace their BDS.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/24/07 at 5:23 pm

i've heard this BDS catchphrase before, a lot of it from c-span callers (i listen to c-span too much  :-such frikkin' morons!  Ever since they put them voice throwin' machines up holler, every moonshining, squirrel meat-eating Granny Clampett calls in to spew venom about the "dimmy-crates"!
::)

They don't even bother to use the 7-second delay:

Peter Slen: Let's go to Nowheresville, Ohio, on the Democrats line...
Caller: Uh, hullo...am I on the air?
Peter Slen: Yes, go ahead Ohio.
Caller: Do you have a big d*ck?
Peter Slen: Uh, OK, let's take a call from Dumptown, Oklahoma, on the Republicans line...
:D

Anyway, yes, there is such a thing as Bush Derangement Syndrome.  Bush and his administration are all deranged, it's a syndrome, and that's the end of the story.

Now, there most certainly Clinton Derangement Syndrome.  That's what fueled Rush Limbaugh and the rest of Rightie talk radio in the '90s.  Plus you had wingnuts like Randy "Duke" Cunningham and Bob Dornan on the House floor howling anti-Clinton philippics until two in the morning.

Written By: Tia on 09/24/07 at 5:46 pm

I'm just about to quit watching Washington Journal (oh, who am I kidding? That's like a junkie saying his gonna quit his dope).  The callers are such frikkin' morons!  Ever since they put them voice throwin' machines up holler, every moonshining, squirrel meat-eating Granny Clampett calls in to spew venom about the "dimmy-crates"!

They don't even bother to use the 7-second delay:

Peter Slen: Let's go to Nowheresville, Ohio, on the Democrats line...
Caller: Uh, hullo...am I on the air?
Peter Slen: Yes, go ahead Ohio.
Peter Slen: Uh, OK, let's take a call from Dumptown, Oklahoma, on the Republicans line...

Anyway, yes, there is such a thing as Bush Derangement Syndrome.  Bush and his administration are all deranged, it's a syndrome, and that's the end of the story.

Now, there most certainly Clinton Derangement Syndrome.  That's what fueled Rush Limbaugh and the rest of Rightie talk radio in the '90s.  Plus you had wingnuts like Randy "Duke" Cunningham and Bob Dornan on the House floor howling anti-Clinton philippics until two in the morning.
with my compliments, from my, ahem... PERSONAL collection.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YRWen6392yA

i'm sorry, that was really very unnecessary of me. :-[

Written By: La Roche on 09/24/07 at 6:26 pm

You're right, you should be sprayed down with my...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/24/07 at 9:08 pm

with my compliments, from my, ahem... PERSONAL collection.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YRWen6392yA

The only one who could have managed the "do you have a big d*ck" questions is Brian Lamb himself, I can just see it:

Brian Lamb:  Bigger than yours.  Call me next time your in Washington, we'll put it to a bet...Next Waterville, Maine, on the Independents line...

As for the YouTube montage, I actually saw the first clip (I can S my own C).  You can see what I mean in the second instance, that host so dense he couldn't pick up on the Apu accent, let alone the guy introduced himself as "Ballsack T. Bagger" from Pakistan.  Connie is terrible, the best caller that nailed her came on with a Southern drawl, and (IIRC), "I think it's great that let a woman host Washington Journal, and yer lookin' might purdy, now if you'd jest open up yer shirt..."(hits kill switch). When I used to do DJ training in college, I'd always emphasize, if you get a crank caller do not engage him in anyway (like Slen did with the robot guy), do not comment on his remarks, and do not remark on how crank callers are annoying, or anything like that.  When I'd get crank callers, I would just cut them off via the control board, that way they couldn't even hear a receiver click off.  Gave them no satisfaction whatsoever!

Let's see, I also was watching when the "f*ck" guy from Boston called.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/27/07 at 1:27 pm

This is nothing new.  8 years ago, a great many Republicans suffered from CDS.  Every ill in the world was placed on the shoulders of Bill Clinton.  In fact, a lot of my Conservative friends thought I had defected when I would defend such actions as Somalia and Yugoslavia.

I had issues with Mr. Bill, but I certainly did not attack everything he did, nor try to blame him for everything wrong (and ignore anything right he may have done).

This is why I tend to ignore partaisan politics.  It is nothing but coprolite and accomplishes nothing.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/27/07 at 1:58 pm

This is nothing new.  8 years ago, a great many Republicans suffered from CDS.  Every ill in the world was placed on the shoulders of Bill Clinton.  In fact, a lot of my Conservative friends thought I had defected when I would defend such actions as Somalia and Yugoslavia.

I had issues with Mr. Bill, but I certainly did not attack everything he did, nor try to blame him for everything wrong (and ignore anything right he may have done).

This is why I tend to ignore partaisan politics.  It is nothing but coprolite and accomplishes nothing.

Many of them still suffer from "CDS". You say, "Bush" and they answer "Clinton".

Cat

Written By: Tia on 09/27/07 at 2:21 pm

part of the reason i suffer from BDS is that i get all my news about bush from the onion. that's where i read stories such as these.

"Bush Makes Surprise Visit To Work
Bush Announces Iraq Exit Strategy: 'We'll Go Through Iran'
Bush Challenges America To Produce The Perfect Romantic Comedy By 2009
Heartbroken Bush Runs After Departing Rove's Car
Bill Of Rights Pared Down To A Manageable Six
Bush: Maybe U.S. Military 'Just Not Very Good'
Bush Vows To Eliminate U.S. Dependence On Oil By 4920
Bush Cuts Off Diplomatic Relations With Congress
Arizona Man Steals Bush's Identity, Vetoes Bill, Meets With Mexican President
Bush On Economy: 'Saddam Must Be Overthrown'
Bush: Vacation Ruined By 'Stupid Dead Soldier'
Bush Seeks U.N. Support For 'U.S. Does Whatever It Wants' Plan
Bush Vows To Wipe Out Prescription-Drug Addiction Among Seniors
Bush 'Refuses To Dignify' Mass-Murder Allegations
Bush Launches Preemptive Attack On Social Security
Bush Urges Expanded Drilling Of Alaskan Wildlife
Long-Awaited Beer With Bush Really Awkward, Voter Reports
Bush Regales Dinner Guests With Impromptu Oratory On Virgil's Minor Works
Bush Bravely Leads 3rd Infantry Into Battle"

>:(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/27/07 at 2:42 pm

part of the reason i suffer from BDS is that i get all my news about bush from the onion. that's where i read stories such as these.

"Bush Makes Surprise Visit To Work
Bush Announces Iraq Exit Strategy: 'We'll Go Through Iran'

Bush Challenges America To Produce The Perfect Romantic Comedy By 2009
Heartbroken Bush Runs After Departing Rove's Car
Bill Of Rights Pared Down To A Manageable Six
Bush: Maybe U.S. Military 'Just Not Very Good'
Bush Vows To Eliminate U.S. Dependence On Oil By 4920
Bush Cuts Off Diplomatic Relations With Congress

Arizona Man Steals Bush's Identity, Vetoes Bill, Meets With Mexican President
Bush On Economy: 'Saddam Must Be Overthrown'
Bush: Vacation Ruined By 'Stupid Dead Soldier'
Bush Seeks U.N. Support For 'U.S. Does Whatever It Wants' Plan

Bush Vows To Wipe Out Prescription-Drug Addiction Among Seniors
Bush 'Refuses To Dignify' Mass-Murder Allegations
Bush Launches Preemptive Attack On Social Security
Bush Urges Expanded Drilling Of Alaskan Wildlife
Long-Awaited Beer With Bush Really Awkward, Voter Reports
Bush Regales Dinner Guests With Impromptu Oratory On Virgil's Minor Works
Bush Bravely Leads 3rd Infantry Into Battle"

>:(

It may be funnier if they weren't true-I highlighted the ones that are.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/27/07 at 9:01 pm

This assumes the partisans want to accomplish something.  I'm not always too sure about that!

Check for new replies or respond here...