» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: John Edwards' remarks re: African American males

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/30/07 at 9:04 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,298526,00.html

This comment is outrageous.  A real slap in the face to young African American males.  What was he thinking?  >:(

Subject: Re: John Edwards' remarks re: African American males

Written By: La Roche on 09/30/07 at 9:10 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,298526,00.html

This comment is outrageous.  A real slap in the face to young African American males.  What was he thinking?  >:(

Not at all a slap in the face of young black men... who are often victims of a somewhat 'bent' judicial system that has become increasingly prejudiced in the past 7 years.

More like an indictment of the failed criminal policies of the current administration.

Written By: statsqueen on 09/30/07 at 9:22 pm

Not at all a slap in the face of young black men... who are often victims of a somewhat 'bent' judicial system that has become increasingly prejudiced in the past 7 years.

More like an indictment of the failed criminal policies of the current administration.

I agree.  I wish the video would have continued so I could hear what else he had to say about the educational system, which is seriously flawed and needs an overhaul.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 09/30/07 at 10:55 pm

Come on Andy, you haven't realized that every comment about African Americans made by white people smacks of racism ::)

Written By: Macphisto on 09/30/07 at 11:29 pm

The easiest way I can respond to this is...  consider the source.  Fox News?

What I've seen of Edwards's remarks are more indicative of what Davey said.  Statistics would lean in favor of what John said.  Granted, for Fox News to imply that he meant this would happen if he wasn't elected was more than a little bit slanderous on the part of Rupert's spin machine.

Written By: Red Ant on 09/30/07 at 11:37 pm

I think Edwards' comment was poorly phrased, but not of ill-intent.

I would also like to see the rest of that video, because he was cut off right after saying (paraphrased/translated from that clip): "First, we need to have an education system that's fair for people who live in the inner city, because right now we have two public school systems in America: one for affluent, suburban neighborhoods... and one for the inner city..."

Way to go Fox News! By quoting just a few words of his speech in a wholly incomplete article, and providing an edited video clip, you made Edwards look like a douche to both whites and blacks alike.

"We report. You decide": my ass. I decided long ago that anything I see on TV (or the internet) needs to be viewed with skepticism, because who's reporting the "news" often has an agenda of their own.

Not that I like JE at all (nor do I dislike him), but this seems taken so far out of context it's ridiculous.

Was JE about to acknowledge that racism and double standards exist in America? Who knows, but I would like to hear the rest of his speech.

Ant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/01/07 at 12:14 am

Bingo. that sums it up.  Couldn't be more succinct.

Every Presidential election since 1980 has become evermore about character assassination and less about the issues.  Both sides try just as hard at mud-slinging, the Republicans are just better at it.

This election is going to be the longest, meanest, stupidest election in U.S. history.  Look forward to a story like this John Edwards thing every week, maybe two or more per week, for the next 12 months.  It's gonna be a fun year.  Oh boy!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/puke.gif

Written By: philbo on 10/01/07 at 4:26 am

I'd argue with Jack's "poorly-phrased" - there's a certain amount of "politician's hyperbole", but it seems to me that he's trying to make a point rather than a prediction. 

I didn't take it that way at all: it wasn't a statement of despair about the fate of young African American men, simply the usual lower-the-expectations-before-saying-I-can-make-it-better political oratory.

I just hope that it wasn't overstated in an intentional, cynical perhaps, attempt to get the "black vote".. or am I the one being overly cynical here?

Written By: danootaandme on 10/01/07 at 6:58 am

The only big problem I have with the statement is that he didn't add that what is happening crossed economic lines.  Race continues to enter the equation to keep it from becoming and economic issue.  Once it becomes an economic issue, one that can become a rallying point to all those disenfrachised, then congress will have a movement on their hands that will force them to deal with the issue.

Written By: La Roche on 10/01/07 at 7:08 am

Come on Andy, you haven't realized that every comment about African Americans made by white people smacks of racism ::)

Oh I know. I'm amazed he was able to say black, after all, that's incorrect.. even though the term African American is retarded. I'd love to know how my cousin Johnathon is African American, his mother is from Kansas, his father is from Barbados.  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 10/01/07 at 7:10 am

Oh I know. I'm amazed he was able to say black, after all, that's incorrect.. even though the term African American is retarded. I'd love to know how my cousin Johnathon is African American, his mother is from Kansas, his father is from Barbados.  ;D

That is a question I shall put to the guys next time I am at the Irish American Club, or maybe when we go over to the Italian American Club, of course I may get over to the Jewish American Hall before that, or maybe on Saturday at......

Written By: La Roche on 10/01/07 at 7:30 am

That is a question I shall put to the guys next time I am at the Irish American Club, or maybe when we go over to the Italian American Club, of course I may get over to the Jewish American Hall before that, or maybe on Saturday at......

See, wires have become crossed here, this is a separate topic but I will make the point that although I consider it somewhat retarded to cling to a national identity they know nothing about, most 'Irish Americans' or 'Italian Americans' probably had their parents.. or grandparents or whatever come from said country, the whole concept of African American doesn't apply to nationality, but to race.. "Oh, he's black, he must be from Africa." I don't know about you but I'd find that more offensive. It's like, ah ha, so, you've never met me but you've already got me pegged simply by the color of my skin.. superb.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/01/07 at 8:16 am

See, wires have become crossed here, this is a separate topic but I will make the point that although I consider it somewhat retarded to cling to a national identity they know nothing about, most 'Irish Americans' or 'Italian Americans' probably had their parents.. or grandparents or whatever come from said country, the whole concept of African American doesn't apply to nationality, but to race.. "Oh, he's black, he must be from Africa." I don't know about you but I'd find that more offensive. It's like, ah ha, so, you've never met me but you've already got me pegged simply by the color of my skin.. superb.

Well it more springs from the generation that were raised to be ashamed of having African blood.  To be called African was considered offensive. My generation was basically taught to say you had anything but African blood.  The truth being if you have brown skin you do have African blood, and to admit to it does not bring shame with it.  I will admit that I was 37 years old before I said out loud that I am of African descent(along with the English, Norwegian, French, and Native American)

Written By: philbo on 10/01/07 at 8:41 am

... I am of African descent(along with the English, Norwegian, French, and Native American)

That's quite some mix :)

Can I be *really* non-PC and ask if you left out the Norwegian and French, would that make you black, white and red all over?
...sorry, just couldn't resist - it's not often you get the chance to make that gag

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/01/07 at 10:34 am

Well it more springs from the generation that were raised to be ashamed of having African blood.  To be called African was considered offensive. My generation was basically taught to say you had anything but African blood.  The truth being if you have brown skin you do have African blood, and to admit to it does not bring shame with it.  I will admit that I was 37 years old before I said out loud that I am of African descent(along with the English, Norwegian, French, and Native American)
If we're getting techical here, don't we ALL have African blood?  Unless my recall of biology is wrong, isn't it theorized that we all originated in Africa? ???

Written By: danootaandme on 10/01/07 at 10:59 am

If we're getting techical here, don't we ALL have African blood?  Unless my recall of biology is wrong, isn't it theorized that we all originated in Africa? ???

Yes, but just try to get some of the less obvious ones admit it  ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 10/01/07 at 11:06 am

That's quite some mix :)

Can I be *really* non-PC and ask if you left out the Norwegian and French, would that make you black, white and red all over?
...sorry, just couldn't resist - it's not often you get the chance to make that gag

;D  right, but put them all together and I am in the melting pot of the Red White and Blue

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/01/07 at 2:01 pm

I was going to say that but you beat me to it.

Yes, but just try to get some of the less obvious ones admit it  ;)

Personally, I think it is obvious in Carlos-especially at the end of the summer after being on the boat a lot (which we haven't this year  :\'( )

One year, he got back to school and was VERY dark. A female colleague made a comment about it. Carlos was standing next to a friend of ours who is black (or African-American-whatever you want to call his heritage), took his hand and said, "Yeah, but I wanted to get as dark as our friend here." Our friend just laughed and the person who made the comment seemed shocked (who is of Nordic decent-tall, blond, etc.)

Cat

Written By: Macphisto on 10/01/07 at 4:38 pm

The only big problem I have with the statement is that he didn't add that what is happening crossed economic lines.  Race continues to enter the equation to keep it from becoming and economic issue.  Once it becomes an economic issue, one that can become a rallying point to all those disenfrachised, then congress will have a movement on their hands that will force them to deal with the issue.

So true...  MLK switched his agenda from racial equality to class equality near the end of his life.  I think it's by more than a coincidence that he was assassinated at that point.

The one thing that scares the elite rich more than anything else is for all races to unite for the cause of economic equality....

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/01/07 at 7:26 pm

How is the President's criminal policies to blame for the continually-increasing population of blacks-whites-etc in STATE and COUNTY lockups?

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/01/07 at 7:31 pm

I would also like to see the rest of that video, because he was cut off right after saying (paraphrased/translated from that clip): "First, we need to have an education system that's fair for people who live in the inner city, because right now we have two public school systems in America: one for affluent, suburban neighborhoods... and one for the inner city..."Ant

I live in a white, affluent area, and the per-student spending in our school system is one of the LOWEST in the county.  next door is the "inner city" with the HIGHEST per-student school spending.

My school's test scores are amongst the best in the county (not exactly the best), but the "inner city" scores are the WORST.  But all is not lost.  They consistently place their football and basketball teams high in the playoffs.

The "two standards" issue is complete bullcr@p.  The only difference in standards is what the parents of those kids value.  If the parents value an education then the kids will value it.  If the parents value sports and carousing, so will the kids.  And no amount of money will fix that.

Written By: La Roche on 10/01/07 at 7:32 pm

How is the President's criminal policies to blame for the continually-increasing population of blacks-whites-etc in STATE and COUNTY lockups?

The continuation of the war on drugs.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/01/07 at 8:08 pm

The difference between your ancestors and my ancestors is your ancestors were forced here in chains.  My ancestors, the Puritans, had to sail to the New World because nobody in the Old World could stand them anymore!
:P

Written By: danootaandme on 10/02/07 at 6:05 am

I live in a white, affluent area, and the per-student spending in our school system is one of the LOWEST in the county.  next door is the "inner city" with the HIGHEST per-student school spending.

My school's test scores are amongst the best in the county (not exactly the best), but the "inner city" scores are the WORST.  But all is not lost.  They consistently place their football and basketball teams high in the playoffs.

The "two standards" issue is complete bullcr@p.  The only difference in standards is what the parents of those kids value.  If the parents value an education then the kids will value it.  If the parents value sports and carousing, so will the kids.  And no amount of money will fix that.

I live outside of Boston and the education system suffers because of the use of patronage to hire teachers.  Boston is a patronage laden city.  Qualifications don't mean as much as who you are related to, or whose campaign you worked on.  I had a cousin in the Boston public schools and I worked in a human resource department for a Boston company and the stories are downright bizarre.  It hasn't changed appreciably since Jonathan Kozol wrote "Death at an Early Age"  There are kids going through the public school system who think they are doing well, their parents go to the parent teacher nights and glow at what they here about their child, then the child goes to college and finds out that their A's from Boston Public would hardly rate a C- elsewhere.

Written By: Macphisto on 10/02/07 at 7:55 pm

The continuation of the war on drugs.

Pretty much, although much of the blame can be laid at the feet of Reagan and the Democratic Congress at the time.  Mandatory drug sentencing was one of the biggest domestic policy mistakes of the last several decades.

Written By: Macphisto on 10/02/07 at 7:57 pm

The only difference in standards is what the parents of those kids value.  If the parents value an education then the kids will value it.  If the parents value sports and carousing, so will the kids.  And no amount of money will fix that.

Very true...  Parenting is a large part of this....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/07 at 8:02 pm

My parents valued education and I valued education, but my grades in high school ranged from mediocre to atrocious.  The teachers could see I was one of the smartest kids in the school and gave me hell about "not trying."  What the hell did they know?  My dysfunctional family was a shambles, my deadbeat dad was in another state, and I had to work about 30 hours a week in a grocery store because my mother had no money.  I had no car, so I walked to  and from work in the rain and snow.  By the time I got home at 10:30, I was to bushed to study.  Stress, exhaustion, anxiety, depression, rage, frustration...I think I get why "inner city" kids don't do so great in school.  I had it easy compared to them.  
::)

Check for new replies or respond here...