» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Why the hell can't I find a job?

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/03/07 at 11:48 am

I've been looking for a job for over a year and now I'm about to give up because no one in my city won't hire me. Should I move out?

Subject: Re: Why the hell can't I find a job?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/03/07 at 12:07 pm

Have you taken the Civil Service test or postal exam?

Written By: danootaandme on 10/03/07 at 2:50 pm

I've been looking for a job for over a year and now I'm about to give up because no one in my city won't hire me. Should I move out?

Doing what?  Looking where? Did you really vote for bush? 

Written By: Tia on 10/03/07 at 2:55 pm

is this in cleveland? what is your area of expertise?

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/03/07 at 3:28 pm

Doing what?  Looking where? Did you really vote for bush? 

Retail or Dishwasher at restauraunts. In the Brooklyn-Parma region. And yes I did, so should I kick myself until my ass hurts? (Truthfully, I think Nixon was even worse.)

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/03/07 at 3:28 pm

is this in cleveland? what is your area of expertise?

Yes this is and I also like to be an actor. Where can I find an agent?

Written By: annonymouse on 10/03/07 at 3:33 pm

Yes this is and I also like to be an actor. Where can I find an agent?

LA

Written By: danootaandme on 10/03/07 at 4:17 pm

Retail or Dishwasher at restauraunts. In the Brooklyn-Parma region. And yes I did, so should I kick myself until my ass hurts? (Truthfully, I think Nixon was even worse.)

Yes, or slap your own face 50 times. Do they have job centers where you are.  Think you could expand that job search in other areas, or is there a reason why you only want the above stated professions?

Written By: Macphisto on 10/03/07 at 4:56 pm

Nixon was worse indeed...  But yeah, you might want to relocate to somewhere like Columbus.  I hear they're growing a lot faster down there.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/03/07 at 6:35 pm

McDonalds are always hiring new staff.  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/07 at 7:07 pm

McDonalds are always hiring new staff.  :D

I couldn't handle working at McDonald's.  It's a tough job for a pittance.  Besides, I got two speeds:  Slow and stop!
:D

Written By: danootaandme on 10/04/07 at 6:54 am

I here big American companies like Nike, Ralph Lauren, DKNY, always need people.  You may have to relocate, take a cut in pay, and pretend you under the age of 15.

Written By: Mushroom on 10/04/07 at 1:14 pm

Well, if you have a clean record, fairly good health, and a high school diploma you can always join the Army.  8)

I have had your same problem many times, and I was a computer engineer.  It is always rough if you have either very few job skills, or a very specialized job skill.  Because you are very much at the whim of the local economy.

Your current problem seems to be having no real job skills.  And a lot of the lowest paying jobs are actually hard to get for Americans.  This is because most employers know that at the first chance, most will jump for a new job, leaving them looking for a replacement with little (or no) notice.

I would suggest trying to expand your job skills.  There are always companies looking for entry level employees, it is just that those jobs rarely pay very much.  Fast food always hires, and there is a lot of advancement as long as you are willing to take on greater work loads and are a good worker.

If you want to try acting, LA is probably the best place to go.  I have done that off and on when I was between jobs, and the pay is decent ($65+ per day).  But in LA, that really is chicken-feed.  And unless you have a lot of money and experience, forget getting an agent.  Sure there are some that will take your money, but without experience don't expect them to ever get you any parts.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/07 at 7:38 pm

I here big American companies like Nike, Ralph Lauren, DKNY, always need people.  You may have to relocate, take a cut in pay, and pretend you under the age of 15.

He'll have to check the "Willing to relocate?" box on the application.  We got laws 'round here (until Congress rolls them back, which I assume they will when they abolish the 13th Amendment in a few years.  Gotta stay competitive, you know!)

Well, if you have a clean record, fairly good health, and a high school diploma you can always join the Army.   8)

They won't be so choosy anymore if we engage Iran in a land war!  Then they'll take sixth grade dropouts, heroin addicts, car theives, and that deaf dumb and blind kid.  You know, my neighborhood!
;D

If you want to try acting, LA is probably the best place to go.  I have done that off and on when I was between jobs, and the pay is decent ($65+ per day).  But in LA, that really is chicken-feed.  And unless you have a lot of money and experience, forget getting an agent.  Sure there are some that will take your money, but without experience don't expect them to ever get you any parts.

I dunno...how's yer package?
Tss-tss-tss-whacka-whakka-chikka-whakka-whakka....

Written By: Mushroom on 10/04/07 at 9:08 pm

They won't be so choosy anymore if we engage Iran in a land war!  Then they'll take sixth grade dropouts, heroin addicts, car theives, and that deaf dumb and blind kid.  You know, my neighborhood!

Actually, they will take a 6th grade drop-out.  But (s)he has to be able to get a GED.

And while they have loosened the requirements for waivers, heroin and car theft (over a simple "joy riding" charge) are still no-gos.  In fact, because of recent problems with gangs in the military, the so called "morality waivers" (waivers for criminal offenses) are largely on the way out.  And drugs have always been waiverable, as long as you have been clean for 1+ year (variable, depending on the drug).

But I can attest from first-hand experience, that the physical waivers are not going to go any lower.  It took me 3 years to get mine for a motorcycle accident in 1990.  I am in fairly good shape for my age, and even I had problems passing the PFT test (at 42, I have to do a 2 mile run in 18 minutes or less, at 3,600' elevation).

And you would probably be amazed at how many people the military rejects every year.  I have met kids that have taken the ASVAB 5+ times, and still not passed.  Others are not able to pass the height-weight requirements.  And even things like excessive acne can keep you out.

If there are 2 things the military has learned, it is that:

1.  An all-volunteer military is far superior to that of a conscription military.
2.  Lowering standards is a loose-loose situation.

This was proven under "Project 100,000", during the tenure of Robert Strange McNamara.  This was actually part of LBJ's "War On Poverty", and forced the military to accept over 240,000 recruits that they would normally have rejected.  Most of these were either in the lower IQ percentiles, little or no education, or had criminal records.  The idea was that they would get some kind of training that they could use in civilian life to improve themselves.

But the problem was that it simply did not work.  About the only jobs available at those low IQ levels are either Infantry or Truck Driver.  They quickly became known as "McNamara's Moron Corps", and had atrocious military records.  Where as in the era 92% of draftees and enlistees successfully completed a 4 year hitch, less then 85% of "McNamara's Moron Corps" were able to do the same.  And sadly, a great many of those came home in coffins because they were simply not able to adapt to the dangers of the Vietnam conflict.

Contrary to what a lot of people think, morons are not suited to the military, especially the infantry.  I was an Infantryman for over 9 years, and I am in the top 10-15% IQ range.  I have had to serve with "rocks", and one thing I do is try to keep as far away from them as possible.  Because those are the kinds of people that get themselves and others killed.  Infantry is a very demanding, high paced, high stress job, and people who are not very bright are normally left behind guarding the FOB, while the bright ones do the combat patrols.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/05/07 at 10:05 pm

How hard have you been looking?  I can't believe that there are no jobs available in those areas in a city your size.  Have you ever asked THEM why they won't hire you?  Have you tried expanding your search a little?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/05/07 at 10:20 pm

Who the f*ck wants a job?  Come on over to my pad.  My old lady's got some foodstamps and I just scored a brick of Panama Red...step into my time machine and let us journey back to the halcyon days of 1969!

:D

Written By: snozberries on 10/06/07 at 6:08 pm

How hard have you been looking?  I can't believe that there are no jobs available in those areas in a city your size.  Have you ever asked THEM why they won't hire you?  Have you tried expanding your search a little?

I was just about to say spend less time online complaining about not having a job and more time looking for one. 

Are you having problems finding any job or just finding one you want?

As for an agent I don't know how you go about finding on in Cleavland. But they are all over NY & LA.  Are you acting or do you just want to act. You have to put yourself out there. Community plays. Maybe check with your local cable company and see how they cast for local commercials. In the meantime, hone your craft. Call the local university film department and see if they are casting for any student films being cast.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/06/07 at 6:12 pm

Some times it "pays" to get a crappy job whilst looking for a good job you actually want. It looks better for potential employers and shows dedication on your behalf. Gaps in employment without reason doesn't look good.

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/06/07 at 6:35 pm

I dunno, every store, fast food joint and gas station in my area have "Help Wanted" signs. 

When I moved to from New York to Virginia many years ago I was having a difficult time finding a job, so I took a job at Sears (which I liked, but the pay wasn't great.), I worked there for a year until I found a better job (this job paid more but no benefits), I worked at the other job for a few more years until a position opened up at a bank.  I worked there for many years until I had my children.

Written By: MLB on 10/09/07 at 9:58 pm

what about going for 3 interviews and never getting a call back?  Not even a thanks for coming in but we hired someone else.  Isn't that bad business to not notify me, the applicant?  Why is it MY responsibility to call them??  I dislike the game, but it's got to be done for the job I want.  And eventually I will be the one most qualified, or at least the one they liked in the interviews.

Check for new replies or respond here...