» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: The Divine Comedy

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/05/07 at 7:18 pm

Do you think that hell will be seperated by 9 rings and what the sinner's sin was that's where he stays? I think so, because in the Bible, Jesus said that there will be a lot of tortures that you could ever imagine. I think Jim Jones is in the 8th Circle because of his false teachings, Mao Zedong is in the 7th Circle because of his violence, and Hitler is frozen in the 9th Circle because he did betray Germany (Staying in a bunker with a woman isn't helping out.)

Subject: Re: The Divine Comedy

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/05/07 at 7:46 pm

Well, only because you asked, I do not believe any of that at all.

Written By: Macphisto on 10/05/07 at 7:52 pm

I think Hell is a very effective way to scare people into believing in religion.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/07 at 12:13 pm

Dante is great literature, but taken literally it's a bunch of post-medieval hogwash.

Written By: philbo on 10/08/07 at 5:57 am

Dante is great literature, but taken literally it's a bunch of post-medieval hogwash.

Aren't you worried you might have understated things a trifle?

Do you think that hell will be seperated by 9 rings and what the sinner's sin was that's where he stays?

So which ring does the sodomite get?

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/08/07 at 12:43 pm

So which ring does the sodomite get?

7th Ring. So Freddie Mercury would be in this area. He's a great musican, don't get me wrong, but he was gay.

Written By: philbo on 10/08/07 at 2:43 pm

<bites tongue>

...first rule of comedy: if you have to explain the joke, it ain't funny

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/08/07 at 6:46 pm

7th Ring. So Freddie Mercury would be in this area. He's a great musican, don't get me wrong, but he was gay.
Oh, boy  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/07 at 7:04 pm

Freddie was not gay.  He liked to strut around in leather pants and have sex with other men, but that does not mean he was gay!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/ylsuper.gif

Written By: thereshegoes on 10/08/07 at 7:05 pm

Freddie was not gay.  He liked to strut around in leather pants and have sex with other men, but that does not mean he was gay!

Max,nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Written By: Jessica on 10/08/07 at 10:08 pm

Yeah, you're only gay if you try to pick up men in the public restrooms.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/07 at 11:29 pm

Max,nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Oh, sorry.
:-[

Here's our friend Fred doing a little song called "Crazy Little Thing Called Love."
It's sorta like "West Side Story" meets "Rocky Horror Picture Show."

(was there something Fonzie wasn't telling us?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrelPOP518g

Wait a minute, How did we get from Dante to Freddie?

Written By: philbo on 10/09/07 at 5:25 am

Wait a minute, How did we get from Dante to Freddie?

Because somebody didn't get the (admittedly rather off-colour) joke about which ring a sodomite gets.  But I've put that behind me now.

Written By: Tia on 10/09/07 at 5:41 am

i like paradiso, out of the trilogy that's the most underrated. it's trippy! but i'd like to reread the entire trilogy again, i read it ten years ago at a time when i was in search of wisdom and now i feel that way again.

as for taking it literally, yeah, my thought on inferno is a lot like george carlin (someone else to turn to when you're in search of wisdom)...

"Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!
    But He loves you."

Written By: Jessica on 10/09/07 at 9:40 am

Because somebody didn't get the (admittedly rather off-colour) joke about which ring a sodomite gets.  But I've put that behind me now.

:D

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/09/07 at 1:18 pm

;D + Karma

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/09/07 at 9:42 pm

He just smiled and gave me a sodomite sandwich...

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/09/07 at 11:18 pm

A sandwich, you say?  Who was the other participant? :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/09/07 at 11:26 pm

A sandwich, you say?  Who was the other participant? :D

Why, Freddie Mercury of course!

(I figger you get a sandwich if you put yer meat between two buns~)

Written By: philbo on 10/10/07 at 1:09 am

"So you come from a land down under"???

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/10/07 at 8:17 am

Why, Freddie Mercury of course!

(I figger you get a sandwich if you put yer meat between two buns~)
Alrighty, I was figgering if you were making a sandwich there would be 3 participants, but it'll work your way too!  ;D

Written By: Jessica on 10/10/07 at 10:11 am

I think I just hurt myself from laughing at the last few posts in here. ;D

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/10/07 at 3:09 pm

I think I just hurt myself from laughing at the last few posts in here. ;D
Laughed your butt off, did you?  ;D

Written By: Davester on 10/16/07 at 11:36 pm

Do you think that hell will be seperated by 9 rings and what the sinner's sin was that's where he stays? I think so, because in the Bible, Jesus said that there will be a lot of tortures that you could ever imagine. I think Jim Jones is in the 8th Circle because of his false teachings, Mao Zedong is in the 7th Circle because of his violence, and Hitler is frozen in the 9th Circle because he did betray Germany (Staying in a bunker with a woman isn't helping out.)

The whole thing about the "betrayers of benefactors" Dante writes about is interesting.  He has Judas Iscariot (the betrayer of Jesus) and Brutus and Cassius (the betrayers of Caesar) among those being punished the hardest in...I think it's the 9th Circle... a man whose Christian inclination is obvious...

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/17/07 at 2:42 pm

Som now not only the Bible but Dante should be taken literally?  You must be kidding.

Written By: Davester on 10/17/07 at 7:20 pm

Okay, I get it.  I didn't read all the replies...

It is pretty bizarre...

Written By: Powerslave on 10/17/07 at 9:09 pm

Geez, I go away for a little while and when I come back I find this? No one the world's in a mess. The Divine Comedy is an allegory of a man's journey to spiritual redemption isn't it? Dante himself certainly didn't expect it to be taken literally. I suppose next you'll be proposing that it was a true story. Dear me.

Written By: Tia on 10/19/07 at 5:17 am

Som now not only the Bible but Dante should be taken literally?  You must be kidding.
i've decided to take the witch mountain cycle literally. for one thing, there's an awful lot less to have to remember.

Check for new replies or respond here...