» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Racially Motivated Attack At Lititz PA High School.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/11/07 at 1:56 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071011/ap_on_re_us/high_school_racism;_ylt=ApGjoRQ_d7RVBWh8Cf7HSUKs0NUE

Lititz is a pretty messed up place, trust me I've been there.  The kids are raised with a false superiority complex.

Subject: Re: Racially Motivated Attack At Lititz PA High School.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/11/07 at 1:59 pm

such a shame. :(  And by looking/visiting that town, one would never think that this kind of stuff breeds there. :-\\

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/11/07 at 4:29 pm

such a shame. :(  And by looking/visiting that town, one would never think that this kind of stuff breeds there. :-\\

Looks can be deceiving.  Lititz is the least diverse town in Lancaster County.  I does have that perfect small town look doesn't it?

Written By: danootaandme on 10/11/07 at 4:52 pm

The fact that there were kids walking around with stars and bars who dubbed their little piece of heaven redneck row should have set alarms ringing.  I don't think suspension from school does any good for, some would see it as just a couple of days off.  They should be made to apologize. Then what they should be made to do is take a course in what that tells about the way different groups, from Jews to Irish to Catholic to Germans to Asian to Hispanic to Africans to Poor, ad infinatum, have been targets of hate, and why.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/11/07 at 5:23 pm

The fact that there were kids walking around with stars and bars who dubbed their little piece of heaven redneck row should have set alarms ringing.  I don't think suspension from school does any good for, some would see it as just a couple of days off.  They should be made to apologize. Then what they should be made to do is take a course in what that tells about the way different groups, from Jews to Irish to Catholic to Germans to Asian to Hispanic to Africans to Poor, ad infinatum, have been targets of hate, and why.

6 have been arrested and charged with harassment.  We shall see what happens.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/11/07 at 7:06 pm

No fair, they get to live in a town called "LITITZ"!
:D

Remember, the stars and bars is not the Confederate flag, it's the Confederate battle flag; the flag of TREASON.  Why should I tolerate that standard any more than the Swastika?

If the kids want a cool looking banner for their hick-up trucks, let 'em fly the Jolly Roger!

Written By: Macphisto on 10/11/07 at 7:11 pm

Unfortunately, the ignorant confuse heritage with hate.  I have some Confederate pride, but I also realize that too many people hide behind its flag to support racism.

Granted, these kids are ignorant by 2 degrees.  First, they're racists.  Second, they live in freakin' Pennsylvania.  They are not Southern by any stretch of the imagination.

...such idiots....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/11/07 at 7:37 pm

Unfortunately, the ignorant confuse heritage with hate.  I have some Confederate pride, but I also realize that too many people hide behind its flag to support racism.

Granted, these kids are ignorant by 2 degrees.  First, they're racists.  Second, they live in freakin' Pennsylvania.  They are not Southern by any stretch of the imagination.

...such idiots....

Heck, it ain't really even a Southern thing anymore.  You can find rednecks with the stars and bars on their pick-ups right here in commie Massachusetts!  Maybe not as many as in the South, but they're out there.  You can also find yourself a stock car race and buy grits at Denny's.  Yeee-haw!

Written By: Red Ant on 10/11/07 at 8:48 pm

Not that this attack wasn't bad, but at least no one came in firing like what happened in Cleveland today or was planning in Plymouth, PA.

Ant

Written By: Macphisto on 10/11/07 at 8:56 pm

Heck, it ain't really even a Southern thing anymore.  You can find rednecks with the stars and bars on their pick-ups right here in commie Massachusetts!  Maybe not as many as in the South, but they're out there.  You can also find yourself a stock car race and buy grits at Denny's.  Yeee-haw!

I'm not sure what to say here...  If they actually know anything about the history of the Confederacy and support the principle behind it (not submitting to a corporate government), then that's great.

Somehow, I doubt that.  I'm guessing these people are either latent racists or just typical rednecks.  I just didn't realize they would reach that far up North.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/11/07 at 11:02 pm

I'm not sure what to say here...  If they actually know anything about the history of the Confederacy and support the principle behind it (not submitting to a corporate government), then that's great.

Somehow, I doubt that.  I'm guessing these people are either latent racists or just typical rednecks.  I just didn't realize they would reach that far up North.

It's the redneck that makes the accessories not the accessories that make the redneck.  Most rednecks in New England certainly do not fly the stars and bars.  The ones who do, if they're not northbound transplants, they're trying to make some lame statement about how they hate PC, Ted Kennedy, and so forth.

AM 680 WRKO talk station from Boston is the best place to hear this, the "Howie Carr Show" from 3:00--7:00, he's the regional Rush!

Written By: danootaandme on 10/12/07 at 4:34 am

oooh, yes.  It is just as prevalent here as anywhere.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/12/07 at 8:02 am

Looks can be deceiving.  Lititz is the least diverse town in Lancaster County.  I does have that perfect small town look doesn't it?

yes it does...and yes, looks can definitely be deceiving. :(

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/12/07 at 11:24 am

...such idiots....

Actually Lancaster County has this weird Southern culture of sort.  The southern part of the county is fairly close to the Mason Dixon line.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/12/07 at 11:30 am

No fair, they get to live in a town called "LITITZ"!
:D

Remember, the stars and bars is not the Confederate flag, it's the Confederate battle flag; the flag of TREASON.  Why should I tolerate that standard any more than the Swastika?

If the kids want a cool looking banner for their hick-up trucks, let 'em fly the Jolly Roger!

Why don't you ask Quirk what some of the more interesting town names are.

Wasn't the swastika originally an Native American symbol?

Written By: Macphisto on 10/12/07 at 11:34 am

The swastika was originally a Buddhist symbol, but it differs from the Nazi one in that the ends pointed towards the left instead of to the right.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/12/07 at 11:36 am

The swastika was originally a Buddhist symbol, but it differs from the Nazi one in that the ends pointed towards the left instead of to the right.

Oh, those Nazi have to swipe everything. >:(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/12/07 at 11:42 am

Why don't you ask Quirk what some of the more interesting town names are.

Wasn't the swastika originally an Native American symbol?

my favorites tend to be: Intercourse and Blue Ball :D

Written By: Macphisto on 10/12/07 at 11:43 am

We have Climax, Hornytown, and Love Valley down here in NC.  :D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/12/07 at 11:43 am

my favorites tend to be: Intercourse and Blue Ball :D

Right on cue. ;D

Written By: La Roche on 10/12/07 at 12:47 pm

Oh, those Nazi have to swipe everything. >:(

We prefer to refer to it as liberation of symbolic material from inferiors.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/12/07 at 12:49 pm

We prefer to refer to it as liberation of symbolic material from inferiors.

or too stupid to come up with something original.

Written By: McDonald on 10/12/07 at 4:00 pm

I've seen a few here in Canada, and even in QUEBEC! Mouth gaping, I almost fell over with laughter.

But honestly, how can you expect to NOT see racist gangs popping up with such a far-right culture being propagated in the media these days, and racial tensions seeming to come to a head again and again. You can count on seeing much more of this sort of thing, I'm sure.

Written By: La Roche on 10/12/07 at 4:44 pm

I've seen a few here in Canada, and even in QUEBEC! Mouth gaping, I almost fell over with laughter.

But honestly, how can you expect to NOT see racist gangs popping up with such a far-right culture being propagated in the media these days, and racial tensions seeming to come to a head again and again. You can count on seeing much more of this sort of thing, I'm sure.

.. In Quebec!  ;D ;D ;D

That's f**kin classic!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/12/07 at 7:37 pm

We have Climax, Hornytown, and Love Valley down here in NC.  :D

Gay Head, Martha's Vineyard.  They changed the name to Aquinnah in 1998 to honor, they said, the original Wampanoag name.  Riiiiight!
No it's because the town was called Gay Head and 40 years of juvenile wisecracks was as much as anyone could stand! The nearby clay cliffs beach is one of a few public nude beaches in the country--"Visit the nude beach at Gay Head!"  Catch the ferry from Wood's Hole to Gay Head.  Register at the B&B as Dick Hertz from Gay Head!  Take a photo of the sign with you and your buddy pointing and laughing for the folks back home.  Can you really blame the town for spending all that money to change the name?  And yet...they kept the names Gay Head Cliffs and Gay Head Light.  Ask any Baystater and they'll say, "Aquinnah?  You mean Gay Head! Huh huh huh!"
:P

Check for new replies or respond here...