» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: A poem

Written By: philbo on 10/23/07 at 5:34 am

I've just read my notes for a parody (one for which I have a subject, but haven't thought of a good OS), and realized that it works tolerably as a kind of poem - what do you reckon:

You say the theory of evolution
Is full of holes like a Swiss cheese

The cheese is still cheese
Each new discovery seems to fit and fill a hole

As an explanation, Creation has no holes
Because there's no substance there at all

Evolution is full of holes like a Swiss cheese
But nobody denies the cheese is there

When you eat Emmental, do you not taste the cheese
Because it's got holes in?

Subject: Re: A poem

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/23/07 at 9:29 am

I dig it.  It's sort of existential and reminds me of my favorite poem by Mark Strand:

Keeping Things Whole

In a field
I am the absence
of field.
This is
always the case.
Wherever I am
I am what is missing.

When I walk
I part the air
and always
the air moves in
to fill the spaces
where my body's been.

We all have reasons
for moving.
I move
to keep things whole.

Written By: philbo on 10/23/07 at 12:24 pm

I can see why it reminds you of that one - a consideration of what isn't there is always slightly mind-bending :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/23/07 at 5:36 pm

I really enjoyed both poems...very thought provoking.  Also, I love cheese.  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/23/07 at 6:40 pm

Ben Stein, former Nixon flunkie and part-time actor (most famous for "Bueller, Bueller, Bueller...") has made a documentary demonstrating how the "intelligent design" folks are persecuted all over the country. 

Intelligent design, he says, is an attempt to explain in the 21st century want biologists didn't know in the 19th century.  In the 19th century, he elaborates, we didn't know every cell is made up of 100 million parts all of which must function perfectly.  Ah, the complexity of it all!

If we don't understand it, if it boggles our minds, then it must be the Supreme Creator.  Tell me, Professor Stein, if this intelligent designer is so intelligent, who designed the intelligent designer?  Surely, random bits of cosmic dust whirling in circles 13.5 billion years ago could not have created an engineer so brilliant he could invent the Tse Tse Fly!  Who, oh who, is the intelligent designer of the intelligent designer?
:D

Perhaps the truth is the universe from the celestial to the mundane is an exceedingly simplistic creation and it is but our puny human minds that perceive this cosmic abortion with perpetual awe!

But what kind of scurrilous bafflegab do you expect from a guy who used to pen verbal diarrhea fo Tricky Dick?  I expect Michael Moore style anectdotes of how Dr. Wonderful got fired from UCLA for uttering the G word in the faculty lounge!
::)

If I heard correct, Stein's documentary will not debut on FOX News, but at a theater near you. 

Lead Balloon Productions presents...

Written By: philbo on 10/24/07 at 3:33 am

Ben Stein, former Nixon flunkie and part-time actor (most famous for "Bueller, Bueller, Bueller...") has made a documentary demonstrating how the "intelligent design" folks are persecuted all over the country. 

Persecuted?

Ridiculed would be more appropriate...

Thing is, ID tries to be scientific but has no science to back it up.  So naturally, anyone who has even a smattering of understanding of how science works can demolish any ID argument (well, there is only one ID argument: "Cars didn't design themselves, therefore neither did anything else") without having to think.  Thing is, if the proponents of ID were scientists, they'd have changed their minds by now - 'cause that's what scientists do when faced with overwhelming contradictory evidence (well, that's what scientists should do... there's been plenty of times in the past when people haven't believed what was in front of their eyes).  As somebody (can't quite remember who ;)) wrote - "There isn't any science in intelligent design"

Now I come to think of it, one common turn of phrase in ID is "designed itself" (or when it comes to matter ad nihilo and creation: "created itself") - phrased in such a way that they're creating a false dichotomy: either it was designed by a designer, or it designed itself; either the universe was created by God, or it created itself.  Since it's (fairly obviously) not possible for something not present to will itself into existence, therefore the *only* other option is God doing it... (and there's always the same lack of critique applied to how God got there in the first place). </rant>

Check for new replies or respond here...