» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Yin and Yang in Venezuela

Written By: tokjct on 10/25/07 at 2:06 am

YIN AND YANG IN VENEZUELA
Published on venezuelanalysis.com (http://www.venezuelanalysis.com)

By Charlie Hardy
Created Oct 17 2007

Often when I am with foreign visitors driving down one of the highways in Caracas I ask them to count all the dark-skinned people they see on the billboards.  A three-year old could count as far. 

Many people say there was no distinction between different groups before Chávez came to power.  I guess they feel that if the black and white of Yin and Yang could fit together in harmony, next to each other but clearly distinguished from one another, the same represented perfect harmony among human beings of different color. 

Venezuela still has a long way to go to eliminate racial prejudice—doesn’t the whole world? 

Open your mouth; open your eyes 

A few nights ago I had a dream that I was in a building when two high school acquaintances walked in.  The first seemed to be very nervous and concerned. The second was carrying an object hidden beneath his arm, wrapped in a cloth.  I was worried about what was about to happen. 

Having read in recent days about another shooting in a U.S. high school, I was expecting the worse.  Then the two men confronted one another and the one pulled out from under the cloth—an electric drill.  His friend had a toothache and had asked him to see if he could eliminate the cavity. 

With that I awoke and began reflecting on the millions of U.S. citizens who do not have hospitalization coverage and even more who do not have dental benefits.  If the man had been in Venezuela, he could have gone to a free dental clinic.  Shouldn’t the same be possible in the U.S.? 

Recently there was an African film festival in Venezuela.  I attended some showings and, after one, a woman mentioned that she couldn’t attend the next day because she was going to have an eye operation for myopia.  I said that I suffer the same problem.  She replied that I should go to the Perez Careno hospital and sign up for a free operation.  That is what she had done. 

In spite of my eye problems, every day I see more clearly why what is happening in Venezuela is a threat to the government of the United States, which has plenty of money for war efforts but not enough for the health care of its citizens. 

Fidel and Hugo 

To the chagrin of ex-Cubans in Florida, on Sunday, October 15, Fidel Castro appeared on television with President Chávez in a taped presentation.  Then the two carried on an hour-long conversation by telephone. 

The interchange was interesting, but I got a little tired before the end of it and telephoned one of my sisters in the United States.  I told her about a book that I had been reading.  She said she had been reading a book also and shared a story from it. 

One day a man was about to commit suicide by jumping off a high bridge into a river below.  A policeman came along and was able to talk to the man.  The man shared his problems with the policeman, who listened attentively.  When the man finally finished, the policeman jumped off the bridge with him. 

Afterwards I was reflecting again on the anguish of the ex-Cubans in Miami.  What if Fidel Castro lives to be one hundred—or even to one hundred and ten?  It must be horrible for them as they suffer in Coral Gables or Palm Beach.  I was also reflecting on the ex-Venezuelans who listen to the ex-Cubans. 

I don’t know Miami well. Are there many bridges there? 

If today were your last 

Joan Manuel Serrat is a Spanish singer with a great number of fans in Venezuela.  I have the words of one of his songs on my refrigerator.  It starts out something like this (the translation into English is my own):  “Today can be a great day./ Decide to make it such/ Whether you take advantage of it or whether it simply passes by/ depends a lot on you.” 

I find the words motivating whenever I read them, but today I was reflecting on the lines:  “Today can be a great day/ where everything is waiting to be discovered/ if you look at is as if it were the last day of your life.” 

I’ve heard that idea many times: live today as if it were the last day of your life.  It sounds nice, but thinking about it I came to realize that I wouldn’t do any of the things that I normally do.  For example, I certainly wouldn’t be in front of the computer writing this right now. 

And, if you were living today as if it were the last day of your life, I am sure you wouldn’t be spending your time reading this either. 

I still like the song—and I will look at the beautiful blue Caribbean sky a little longer today.  And yes, I did see the iguana as it dashed across the parking lot a bit ago—and I did greet it as it passed by. 

(Charles Hardy is author of ­Cowboy in Caracas:  A North American’s Memoir of Venezuela’s Democratic Revolution,  published by Curbstone Press, www.curbstone.org   Other essays by Hardy can be found on his personal blog www.cowboyincaracas.com .  You may write him at cowboyincaracas@yahoo.com .)

Trackback URL for this post:
http://www.venezuelanalysis.com/trackback/2738
Source URL: http://www.venezuelanalysis.com/blog/charlie/2738

Links:
http://www.curbstone.org/
http://www.cowboyincaracas.com/
mailto:cowboyincaracas@yahoo.com

Subject: Re: Yin and Yang in Venezuela

Written By: Macphisto on 10/25/07 at 7:49 pm

I'm completely with you, this columnist, and many others in wanting to see us stop spending so much on the military and war in general.

I also support the implementation of universal medicine, but only after we've dealt with illegals first.

While Venezuela may have better access to medicine for its people, America has burdens that it currently shoulders that Venezuela does not.  We've foolishly taken on the role of the world's policeman, and that means we are in a position where we have to spend more on the military in order to maintain this style of policy.

It doesn't excuse the abuse of power that the military industrial complex wields on our system, but it does explain our odd and somewhat embarassing situation.

Nevertheless, the standard of living in Venezuela is far lower than ours, which, in my mind, means we must be performing better than they are.  Despite all our problems, I like the fact that Bush doesn't have as much power over us as Chavez has over his people.

Pursuing freedom and prosperity requires a route of less government, not more of it....

Subject: Re: Yin and Yang in Venezuela

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/25/07 at 8:19 pm

Great column, Lee.  Thanks for posting it. 

I've already stated my opinions on the issue on the other thread.

Check for new replies or respond here...