» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Comedic song on Political-sattire show stirs up controversy in Australia

Written By: Zoso on 10/26/07 at 8:44 am

This song was sung on an episode of "The Chaser's War on Everything", and Australian politcal-sattire show. Do you think they took the joke way too far? Some of it's offensive. But I get the joke. I even think it's true (the point of the song, not what is said about the people mentioned in the song). The thing is I got the joke at the start of the song, they didn't need to keep going and get more and more offensive. The Prime Minister even had something to say about it. This is the video and lyrics...

THE EULOGY SONG

video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=dXHleozgQ18 (warning: some coarse language, content might offend some viewers)

Lyrics:

My great grand father died this week
I couldn’t stand him actually nobody could
But as soon as he passed away everybody went around saying what a top bloke he was
So I’d like to dedicate this song to you, Gramps

He was very hard of hearing
He was dull and domineering
Mysogenist cantankerous and vain

He hit the bottle every night
He hit my grandma out of spite
And those stories about his bunyons were a pain

But all that’s now forgotten
Once he took his final breath
Yes, even pricks turn into top blokes after death

You don’t believe me?
Allow me to furnish you with a few examples...

Steve Irwin lived in khaki
A cartoon kamikaze
Who taunted crocs and tots so frequently

And Brocky (Peter Brock) was some rev-head
Who pumped the air with pure lead
So anti-green he drove into a tree

But all that was forgotten
Once they took their final breath
Yes, even tools turn into top blokes after death

John Lennon chose the hippy life
He chose some nutbag for a wife
His songs were never quite as good as Paul’s

Jeff Buckley fooled all lovers
Just one album, mostly covers
With more wailing than Japan does off our shores

Yes, even wankers turn into top blokes after death

Princess Di was just a slut for sex
When they looked in the car wreck
Her dress was wet with Arab semen stain

Stan Zemanek was a racist
A Fatso xenophobic c*ck
Whose views were more malignant than his brain

Once he took his final breath,
Yes, even a***holes turn into top blokes after death

It’s not how they lived that counts
But how we re-write the book
When it comes to truth it’s best to use restraint
It pays to throw away the facts
And have a rose coloured look
When he dies, Martin Bryant will look a saint

Don Bradman was a total farce
A grumpy, greedy tired-arse
Who couldn’t even score one run last time he played

Kerry Packer was a brothel chief
A tax cheat and a kidney thief
And procreating Jamie was the worst mistake he made

Yes, even **** turn into top blokes after death

Belinda Emmett was a…  (stopped by cast)

Remember all will be forgotten
Once we take our final breath...

Yes, even pervert motherf**kers,
even rampant child-abusers
even local Baghdad looters
even baby bunny rooters
even reckless drunken drivers
even rodent sperm imbibers
even violent p**fter bashers
even public penis flashers
even rotting corpse molesters
even human piss ingesters
even tiny kitten kickers
even anal finger lickers
even Anna ‘bloody’ Coren
Yes, even she will be a top bloke after death

Subject: Re: Comedic song on Political-sattire show stirs up controversy in Australia

Written By: danootaandme on 10/26/07 at 9:20 am

I think they were trying to very hard to be trendy and it came out as sophomoronic foolishness.

Subject: Re: Comedic song on Political-satire show stirs up controversy in Australia

Written By: philbo on 10/26/07 at 9:47 am

It's a bit OTT, but there's some great lines.. IMO it would have been more hard-hitting if they'd left out the more gratuitously untrue bits (I mean... really.. what kind of musical illiterate would suggest that Lennon's songs weren't as good as McCartney's?)

With all this controversy it's stirring.. if the band members were to die in a plane crash, what do you think they'd like people to say about them? ;)

Subject: Re: Comedic song on Political-sattire show stirs up controversy in Australia

Written By: McDonald on 10/26/07 at 6:31 pm

I liked it. I think it's pretty funny and that people should just dislodge whatever's stuck up their arse. It's just humour.

Written By: Macphisto on 10/26/07 at 7:37 pm

John Lennon was an excellent songwriter, but he was also a pompous a**wipe.

Jeff Buckley is definitely overrated too.

I mostly liked the song, but the singer was nowhere near as funny as the man he's stealing his schtick from: Eric Idle.

Written By: Zoso on 10/26/07 at 10:36 pm

It's a bit OTT, but there's some great lines.. IMO it would have been more hard-hitting if they'd left out the more gratuitously untrue bits (I mean... really.. what kind of musical illiterate would suggest that Lennon's songs weren't as good as McCartney's?)

With all this controversy it's stirring.. if the band members were to die in a plane crash, what do you think they'd like people to say about them? ;)

I was just thinking that actually. Politicians, reporters, religious groups and conservatives hate the Chasers. But if they were to die tomorrow I bet everyone would herald them as the greatest comedy group since Monty Python or something.

Also, I think the line about Lennon's song not being as good as McCartney's was just a line they made up to fill in the verse. It was the only think they could think of. Although, if they couldn't think of anything to fill up the verse I wonder why they didn't say something about his drug use. Whatever the case, I find it hard to believe anyone legitimately thinks Paul's songs were better than John's.

I'm surprised no one's commented on...

Princess Di was just a slut for sex
When they looked in the car wreck
Her dress was wet with Arab semen stain

I thought that was the most controversial/innappropriate verse of them all.

Written By: Macphisto on 10/27/07 at 9:29 am

I always thought that Princess Di was an attention whore.  Mother Teresa died in the same week as her, and SHE should have been the one people mourned for.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/27/07 at 10:54 am

I always thought that Princess Di was an attention whore.  Mother Teresa died in the same week as her, and SHE should have been the one people mourned for.

Yeah, but that quote doesn't address that aspect.  It denigrates her for her sexuality and suggests a problem with the fact that she was sleeping with an Arab. 

Written By: Macphisto on 10/27/07 at 12:22 pm

Admittedly, the Arab part was definitely uncalled for.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/27/07 at 3:13 pm

Admittedly, the Arab part was definitely uncalled for.

along with slut for sex.

Written By: Macphisto on 10/27/07 at 4:04 pm

*shrugs* Eh...  I'm a bit callous about Di, because her death was televised to death back when it happened.  You would've thought she was the Princess of Hollywood given all the coverage it got.

It also showed us how many people in this country worship not only celebrities, but also people born into and married into privilege.  Paris Hilton's popularity is a good indication of this.

To me, Di's death was as insignificant as a random person dying from gang violence, which obviously happens every day.

Written By: La Roche on 10/27/07 at 4:14 pm

I think it's funny.

To quote the great Lemmy Kilmister -

“F**k this "Don't speak ill of the dead" s**t! People don't become better when they are dead; you just talk about them as if they are. But it's not true! People are still a**holes, they're just dead a**holes.”

Written By: danootaandme on 10/27/07 at 8:08 pm

The way I see it, there is a difference between comedy, biting satire, and cheap shots.  I think a lot of what passes for humor is cheap shot and people laugh at it just so they don't appear to be above it all, not with it, or uncool.  That little ditty is just tired cheap shot.

Written By: Red Ant on 10/27/07 at 8:40 pm

Erm, what did Belinda Emmett do to deserve mention?

I suppose the song would have been funnier had I recognized more than half the names...

*shrugs* Eh...  I'm a bit callous about Di, because her death was televised to death back when it happened.  You would've thought she was the Princess of Hollywood given all the coverage it got.

I wouldn't doubt that, the week of her death, Princess Die got more media attention than any other dead person in history ever did, including JFK.

Ant

Written By: Zoso on 10/28/07 at 6:07 am

Erm, what did Belinda Emmett do to deserve mention?

Nothing. That's the whole point. She's famous for being dead.

Written By: McDonald on 10/28/07 at 11:57 am

I must say the Di part was tasteless. But tastelessness isn't cause for outrage or anything.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/28/07 at 4:40 pm

I must say the Di part was tasteless. But tastelessness isn't cause for outrage or anything.

No, but not so funny comedians should be made to sell umbrellas in the rain   ;)  Ever notice that a guy usually calls a woman a slut because he wants to sleep with her and the feeling isn't in any way reciprocated.?

Written By: Macphisto on 10/28/07 at 5:18 pm

I don't want to get too off-color here, but here's how a friend of mine once comedically put it...

A slut is a woman who will sleep with anyone but you.

The perfect girl is a woman who will only sleep with you.

You could basically make a male equivalent of this joke as well...  lol

Written By: McDonald on 10/28/07 at 7:05 pm

Ever notice that a guy usually calls a woman a slut because he wants to sleep with her and the feeling isn't in any way reciprocated.?

This is true, but not universally so. I'm sure you know that men aren't the only ones guilty of using the s-word.

Written By: philbo on 10/29/07 at 4:48 am

This is true, but not universally so. I'm sure you know that men aren't the only ones guilty of using the s-word.

Yeah, a woman calls another woman a slut when she's sleeping with a guy that woman A) wants to sleep with ;)

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/29/07 at 11:27 pm

To me, Di's death was as insignificant as a random person dying from gang violence, which obviously happens every day.

Wait a minute.  Random people typically don't do anything to deserve catching the stray bullet from some gangsta.

Di?  Di voluntarily got into a car being driven by a drunk driver. 

There is one crime, its name is stupidity, and its penalty is the same for pauper as it is for princess.  With a mighty *tweet* of his lifeguard's whistle, Darwin pronounces sentence:  "YOU!  The blone chick!  In the tiara!  Outa the gene pool!"

Written By: philbo on 10/30/07 at 7:38 am

Di?  Di voluntarily got into a car being driven by a drunk driver. 

Don't forget "... and didn't put on a seat belt" - after all, the one person in the car who did, survived.

There is one crime, its name is stupidity, and its penalty is the same for pauper as it is for princess.  With a mighty *tweet* of his lifeguard's whistle, Darwin pronounces sentence:  "YOU!  The blone chick!  In the tiara!  Outa the gene pool!"

Too late - she's already passed on her genes.

Written By: La Roche on 10/30/07 at 7:41 am

Ah ha, so it was her with the penchant for coke, I was figuring Charles passed that gene along, what with his massive honker!

Written By: Paul on 10/30/07 at 7:54 am

John Lennon was an excellent songwriter, but he was also a pompous a**wipe.

Possibly, but he did leave a memorable quote which kind-of ties in with the subject...

'Everyone loves you when you're six foot under...'

Written By: danootaandme on 10/30/07 at 8:56 am

Possibly, but he did leave a memorable quote which kind-of ties in with the subject...

'Everyone loves you when you're six foot under...'

and he did do many things to be pompous about.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/31/07 at 12:33 am

We're talking the British Royal Family here.  Give the Father time.  Look at the work he's done on our closest equivalent - namely the Kennedys.  After a near miss with a drunk driver on a dark road, he made up for it with the clever use of a fast-moving attack tree (gotta watch those trees, they just jump right out in front of ya!) against a skier, with an untrained pilot flying into a fog bank as a close second.  Only way to top that would be to have a minivan full of 'em race a speeding freight train to a level crossing.

Written By: Zoso on 10/31/07 at 8:56 am

Don't judge the comic talent of The Chasers based on this song. They are funny. Expecially when the go to the US and ask average citizens questions and get typical American responses - http://youtube.com/watch?v=LvtFaPslA_o

And they have to have balls to do this - http://youtube.com/watch?v=MLkLLN97fV4 (the second one is a set up but the first one is fair dinkum).

Or if you want to have a laugh watch this - http://youtube.com/watch?v=vn5aSgv4Hp8

Written By: philbo on 10/31/07 at 10:01 am

Looking at the first one, it seems that Mitt Romney's getting his "Barack Obama" message across.  I do wonder with their US vox pops, how many sensible people they get through before they've got the half-dozen idiots they use in the show?

Written By: Zoso on 11/01/07 at 12:11 am

I think the fact that they did find people stupid enough to say stuff like that is bad enough. They could've interviewed a hundred sensible people before they got to a stupid one, but it wouldn't matter because that stupid person would make up for a lot of lost ground.

Written By: philbo on 11/01/07 at 4:52 am

True, but the overwhelming effect is of an overwhelmingly dumb America - if they were to show the 99 who laughed or remarked on how stupid the questions are, you'd end up with a very different view of the general US public.

But, yes, it is kind of scary that they find anyone who (for example) seems to think that Barack Obama is a terrorist... am I right in thinking these are the same people who went around with a world map with "France" where Australia is (amongst other geographical inaccuracies), asking Americans who they thought should be invaded next?

Written By: Zoso on 11/04/07 at 1:53 am

The went around with a map of the world but the country names were placed on the wrong country. So you had people pointing to France and saying "we should invade Iran next". The same guy also pretending to be from a tourist organisation promoting Australia as a tourist destination and he tried to convince people that the eiffel tower, the great wall of China and Mt Rushmore were in Australia, (not) suprisingly a lot people believed him. He also pretended to be John Howard (the Australian PM, for now anyway) and alot of Americans believed him.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/04/07 at 6:55 am

The went around with a map of the world but the country names were placed on the wrong country. So you had people pointing to France and saying "we should invade Iran next". The same guy also pretending to be from a tourist organisation promoting Australia as a tourist destination and he tried to convince people that the eiffel tower, the great wall of China and Mt Rushmore were in Australia, (not) suprisingly a lot people believed him. He also pretended to be John Howard (the Australian PM, for now anyway) and alot of Americans believed him.

Not surprised there.  You would be surprised how many from the US can't find Canada on a map. I am serious.  During that whole Panama scuffle you would not believe how many thought Panama was a state, so they figured it wasn't really in invasion since it was part of the US.  Would be funny if it wasn't so downright shameful. 

Written By: Macphisto on 11/04/07 at 11:04 am

It's good to know that our tax money is well spent in public American schools.... 

/sarcasm

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/08/07 at 1:32 am

It's good to know that our tax money is well spent in public American schools.... 

/sarcasm

No Lobbyist Left Behind.

Check for new replies or respond here...