» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: So What's Romney Up To?

Written By: philbo on 10/26/07 at 10:23 am

This has even made the news over here: Mitt Romney seems to think that Barack Obama is speaking for Al Qaeda...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/10/24/wromney124.xml

Does anybody on these boards believe this was a simple "slip of the tongue", given that he repeated Obama's name when talking about a recent bin Laden call for insurgents in Iraq to unite?  If it was, then would America really want another tongue-tied moron as president?

I find it hard to believe that this wasn't an intentional smear by association... what you you guys think?

Subject: Re: So What's Romney Up To?

Written By: Dagwood on 10/26/07 at 1:42 pm

I think it was just a slip of the tongue.  A very unfortunate slip of the tongue.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/26/07 at 4:10 pm

Being from Massachusetts and being familiar with Romney I would say that it is calculated.  Everything he does is calculated.  This is not a slip.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/26/07 at 7:11 pm

Edward Kennedy made the exact same mistake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APx2YJ-_jos

Written By: Macphisto on 10/26/07 at 7:25 pm

Yeah...  I just watched the Ted Kennedy one and the Romney one.  I think you'll notice that Romney mentioned not just Obama, he said Barack Obama.  Now, one of two things is true here....

1) Romney intentionally mentioned Barack Obama in full to confuse people.  Mixing up Obama with Osama is not hard.  If he had said, "Obama Bin Laden", that would make it more believable.  Barack doesn't even sound like Bin Laden.

2) Romney really is that clueless.

Neither of these possibilities is pleasant.  The good news is, despite his high funds, Romney doesn't have a chance in hell at winning the GOP nomination.  There's no way they'd nominate a Mormon.  That move alone would cause the Religious Right to leave the GOP.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/26/07 at 7:45 pm

Romney did it on purpose.  Teddy is just old and booze-confused.  Futhermore, Teddy is not running for Big Chief.
:P

Mitt is despicable and reptilian.  I've thought so for 13 years.
::)

Written By: philbo on 10/27/07 at 3:39 am

And would you want either as president?  Kennedy comes across as confused, IMO - I don't think you'd find any argument as to intentional use there.

But Romney, while obviously talking about Al Q, goes "Osama... Obama.. Barack Obama" (and repeats Obama's name in full) while talking about jihad.  It's a stunt (by someone who rhymes with that, methinks)

Written By: danootaandme on 10/27/07 at 6:42 am

And would you want either as president?  Kennedy comes across as confused, IMO - I don't think you'd find any argument as to intentional use there.

But Romney, while obviously talking about Al Q, goes "Osama... Obama.. Barack Obama" (and repeats Obama's name in full) while talking about jihad.  It's a stunt (by someone who rhymes with that, methinks)

Kennedy isn't running,  Romney is, and yes, as Max and I well know, being from Massachusetts and seeing firsthand how Romney plays, this was intentional.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/27/07 at 2:16 pm

Kennedy isn't running,  Romney is, and yes, as Max and I well know, being from Massachusetts and seeing firsthand how Romney plays, this was intentional.

What it comes down to is, when it comes to Massachusetts, all you have to do is point at Ted Kennedy, and the other person's argument falls to the ground.  As weak as this one was, it's still got more punch than most Teddy retorts because Kennedy actually confused Obama and Osama.  It's ususually:  "Oh yeah, well....well...Chappaquiddick!  A-ha! Gotcha there!" 
"Uh, we're talking about the price of rice in China.  I'm confused."
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

It's even more pathatic when the right-wing pundits call him Barak "Hu--sein" Obama!

A. Hussein is an Arabic name derived from "Hasan," meaning "Handsome" or "Beautiful."
B. Obama's mom and pop called him Barak Hussein in 1961, eighteen years before the world would ever hear of Saddam Hussein!

Written By: danootaandme on 10/27/07 at 3:12 pm

A. Hussein is an Arabic name derived from "Hasan," meaning "Handsome" or "Beautiful."
B. Obama's mom and pop called him Barak Hussein in 1961, eighteen years before the world would ever hear of Saddam Hussein!

People have been calling the bushies a$$h@les long before that, and too many didn't pay any attention at all.

Written By: McDonald on 10/27/07 at 8:11 pm

Speaks French like a Spanish cow. Every 'R' sounds like a symptom of some terrible lung disease, but at least he tries. I respect that. But no way would he ever be a a decent president.

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=xyP2M0DTch8

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/27/07 at 8:15 pm

People have been calling the bushies a$$h@les long before that, and too many didn't pay any attention at all.

Huh? Did I miss something here?

Speaks French like a Spanish cow. Every 'R' sounds like a symptom of some terrible lung disease, but at least he tries. I respect that. But no way would he ever be a a decent president.

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=xyP2M0DTch8

You don't have to speak French to be President of the U.S., heck Dubya shows us you barely have to speak English!

Written By: McDonald on 10/27/07 at 8:25 pm

You don't have to speak French to be President of the U.S., heck Dubya shows us you barely have to speak English!

True enough. But you just know that if he were president, he would want to show off his crumby French every chance he got, making a fool of himself on the American dime (which incidentally, is also not doing so well at the moment).

Written By: Red Ant on 10/27/07 at 8:46 pm

If it was, then would America really want another tongue-tied moron as president?

You misspelled "Mormon". . .

Ant

Written By: philbo on 10/28/07 at 7:30 am

You misspelled "Mormon". . .

The "m" is silent?

Written By: Jessica on 10/28/07 at 8:47 am

Speaks French like a Spanish cow.

I'm not sure why, but this made me crack up. :D

Written By: philbo on 10/28/07 at 10:09 am

I'm not sure why, but this made me crack up. :D

It's a literal translation of the French colloquialism "comme une vache Espagnol" (meaning to speak it badly... very, very badly)

Written By: McDonald on 10/28/07 at 11:51 am

It's a literal translation of the French colloquialism "comme une vache Espagnol" (meaning to speak it badly... very, very badly)

Spot on! I tried to think of an decent English equivalent, but nothing gets it just right as the French expression. So you've obviously studied French. Do you go to France or Belgium often?

Written By: philbo on 10/28/07 at 6:16 pm

Spot on! I tried to think of an decent English equivalent, but nothing gets it just right as the French expression. So you've obviously studied French. Do you go to France or Belgium often?

I've only been to France the once since leaving school 25 years ago (a work trip to Cannes)... I guess I could speak French fairly well back then, but have forgotten nearly all the vocab in the intervening years.

Check for new replies or respond here...