» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Ron Paul and November 5th

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/27/07 at 5:38 pm

http://thisnovember5th.com/

This has been getting a lot of media attention recently.  I doubt they'll reach their goal, but it's interesting to watch.

Subject: Re: Ron Paul and November 5th

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/27/07 at 5:40 pm

if I had the extra money, I would do it. :)

Written By: Macphisto on 10/27/07 at 7:11 pm

I love it...  Great concept.  I don't think they'll reach it either, but I think I might contribute....

Written By: danootaandme on 10/27/07 at 8:10 pm

None of the people running for prez this time around is getting any of my money.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/27/07 at 8:21 pm

None of the people running for prez this time around is getting any of my money.

I'd give money to Kucinich, but good vibes is not a satisfactory investment return.
:D

Written By: philbo on 10/29/07 at 4:57 am

I don't think I've said this on this messageboard (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), but am I the only one who hears a Scooby-Doo kind of voice saying "Rorge Ringo" whenever he sees "Ron Paul" written?

Written By: annonymouse on 10/29/07 at 9:58 pm

i really wish you guys would donate the money. i would if i could. the point of this whole thing isn't to give ron paul a bunch of money. it's to involve him in the biggest donation EVER. if thid succedes (won't) ron paul will get HUGE attention from mainstreem media,

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/29/07 at 11:07 pm

Unfortunately for those of us living in America and who have taxable income, one of the people running for President is going to be getting a lot of our money.

What a remarkable coincidence that April 15 is about as far away from Election Day as it's possible to get.

Remember, remember, the Fifth of November,
Congress, corruption and rot.
I see no reason, in election season,
Why taxation should be forgot.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/30/07 at 7:23 pm

Unfortunately for those of us living in America and who have taxable income, one of the people running for President is going to be getting a lot of our money.

What a remarkable coincidence that April 15 is about as far away from Election Day as it's possible to get.

Remember, remember, the Fifth of November,
Congress, corruption and rot.
I see no reason, in election season,
Why taxation should be forgot.

I don't think it's forgotten, not at all.  I live in a very socially liberal area where even the Republicans can't stand the social agenda of the mainstream Republican party.  The reason people around here who vote Republican vote Republican comes down to taxes.  I think that's true of Republicans in general who pay lip service to the religious right's agenda, but in the end it's about taxes.
::)

Written By: Macphisto on 10/30/07 at 7:55 pm

Sadly, the Republicans down here are more in line with the social agenda than the economics.  Granted, I do live in the Bible Belt.  Being atheist here is almost as looked down upon as being gay.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/30/07 at 8:29 pm

Sadly, the Republicans down here are more in line with the social agenda than the economics.  Granted, I do live in the Bible Belt.  Being atheist here is almost as looked down upon as being gay.

It is the same.  Hell is hell and if you're going you're going!

I can't say there are NO evangelical right-wingers in this area; there certainly are.  There are also gay vegan atheists in Montgomery, they just keep it, you know, low key!
:P

In general, Massachusetts Republicans tend to lean more toward the "libertarian" thing, former governor Bill Weld is probably the best example.  They're not going to get in a twist about abortion or gay rights, or even if you want to smoke a joint, just as long as you're not trying to sell it to their kids.  Other than tax cuts, privitization is big, and leave me alone is big.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/01/07 at 9:20 pm

"Every election is a sort of advance auction sale of stolen goods."

--H.L. Mencken

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/01/07 at 9:57 pm

"Every election is a sort of advance auction sale of stolen goods."

--H.L. Mencken

OK, I'm going to have to give you Karma for quoting Mencken.  I don't agree with some of the things he says, but I always love the way he says them!  If he came back to life as a pundit for the upcoming election season, eveybody would hate his guts.  Can you imagine what he'd be saying about Romney?  Hillary?  Giuliani? Huckabee?  Edwards?  Thompson?  Kucinich?  Oh, and if you think he'd leave Ron Paul unscathed, don't be so sure!

Here's one of my favorite Menckens:

“The average newspaper, especially of the better sort, has the intelligence of a hillbilly evangelist, the courage of a rat, the fairness of a prohibitionist boob-jumper, the information of a high-school janitor, the taste of a designer of celluloid valentines, and the honor of a police-station lawyer.â€
-H.L. Mencken

Liberals can use that quote about the Washington Times, conservatives can use that quote about New York Times!
One thing's for sure, if you're fed up, Mencken's your man!
;)

Written By: Macphisto on 11/02/07 at 7:26 pm

Mencken is indeed the man...  A true misanthrope to the core, but so funny...  :D

Here's a zinger that I still use occasionally: "Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/02/07 at 8:37 pm

Mencken is indeed the man...  A true misanthrope to the core, but so funny...  :D

Here's a zinger that I still use occasionally: "Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence."

I can't speak for anybody else, but that's how it was for me!

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/02/07 at 11:10 pm

"A strange game.  The only winning move is not to play."
  - WOPR, War Games, 1980.

Love?  Nuclear war?  Same thing, really.  The one who falls out of love first, wins, by being able to dump the other without getting hurt.  Love is to interpersonal relationships, as mutual assured destruction is to international diplomacy.

OK, I promise I'm off my cold war kick this week.  That one was over the top, even for me. :)

I'll go back to the original Mencken quote.  It's even more savage when quoted in full.

"The government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they can't get and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time is made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods."

My soul (umm, vote) is already cast for Cthulhu/Hastur '08 ("Why vote for the lesser of two evils?"), but failing Them, I'll settle for Mencken/O'Rourke '08, under the slogan "the last honest men".

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/05/07 at 5:46 pm

So far Ron Paul has raised about three million today, shattering the single-day amount raised online record and close to passing Romney's 3.1 million he raised on January 8th, which is the most raised in one day this election cycle.

http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Ron Paul has a big graph on his website to show where he is at in his ambitious 12 million goal for this quarter.  At the start of the day at midnight, eastern time, it read: $2,773,017.02

Now it reads: $5,760,934.63

There are still over six hours left in the day too.  Very impressive.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/05/07 at 10:54 pm

Now it reads: $5,760,934.63

Now it's over 6.8 million. 

Paul's four million raised so far today is the most in one day by any republican candidate ever and is getting close to John Kerry's record of 5.8 million in one day set in 2004 the day after he won the nomination, and that was with the full weight of the democratic party behind Kerry.

Currently at: $6,841,010.50

http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/06/07 at 12:02 am

I think I'll ron away!
:o

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/06/07 at 10:41 pm

I just signed up to volunteer for Bill Richardson's campaign.  They wanted me to donate, told them I'm broke.

Kucinich won the Democracy Now election poll.  That's got to count for something.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/06/07 at 10:44 pm

I just signed up to volunteer for Bill Richardson's campaign.  They wanted me to donate, told them I'm broke.

Kucinich won the Democracy Now election poll.  That's got to count for something.

Congrats, Dennis.  You've got the angry, paranoid leftie vote sewn up!

(Mind you, there's much to be angry and paranoid about nowadays.)
:-\\

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/06/07 at 10:47 pm

Congrats, Dennis.  You've got the angry, paranoid leftie vote sewn up!

(Mind you, there's much to be angry and paranoid about nowadays.)
:-\\

I believe they prefer to be called Progressives.  Now if he could only get the vote of people who believe in political reality.  He's got till November.

Written By: Macphisto on 11/06/07 at 10:50 pm

Man...  It would appear that what Ron lacks in popularity, he more than makes up for in loyal supporters and fundraising skills.

I hope he manages to tear Mitt Romney a new one in the next debate.  Realistically, I know he's not going to top Guiliani's support, but Romney seems like an easy target who has spent most of his time posturing to appeal to the social conservatives.  Maybe some more of the Republicans will wake up and throw their support to Ron.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/06/07 at 11:38 pm

I believe they prefer to be called Progressives.  Now if he could only get the vote of people who believe in political reality.  He's got till November.

I'm a fan of Amy Goodman (my station carries the program and I've got a Democracy Now! t-shirt), it's jus that she and her ilk lack a sense of humor.  Fighting for truth, justic, and the American way is noble and necessary, but without sense of humor, levity, irony and what have you, folks burn out.  Democracy Now! needs to stir a little Jon Stewart into the mix.

If I had to choose a label for myself it would be "liberal," but the word "liberal" has been so perverted by both its detractors and its adherents, that it doesn't mean much anymore.  I'm what a liberal was 50 years ago!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/06/07 at 11:43 pm

I'm a fan of Amy Goodman (my station carries the program and I've got a Democracy Now! t-shirt), it's jus that she and her ilk lack a sense of humor.  Fighting for truth, justic, and the American way is noble and necessary, but without sense of humor, levity, irony and what have you, folks burn out.  Democracy Now! needs to stir a little Jon Stewart into the mix.

If I had to choose a label for myself it would be "liberal," but the word "liberal" has been so perverted by both its detractors and its adherents, that it doesn't mean much anymore.  I'm what a liberal was 50 years ago!

I listen to Randy Rhodes on Air America, now she has a sense of humor.  I fall just short of being a Progressive.  I'm afraid I'm not radical enough. :-[

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/07/07 at 12:01 am

I listen to Randy Rhodes on Air America, now she has a sense of humor.  I fall just short of being a Progressive.  I'm afraid I'm not radical enough. :-[

I love Randi!  Haven't heard her in a while, though.  Progressives used to be progressive, not radical.  On the other hand, conservatives used to be conservative, not fascists...so what are you gonna do?

I'm truly disgusted to see anybody condoning torture.  That's what "waterboarding" is and the Washington Times ran an editorial, "Hooray for Waterboarding!"  They'd burn people at the stake if they could!
8-P

Written By: philbo on 11/07/07 at 4:30 am

I'm truly disgusted to see anybody condoning torture.  That's what "waterboarding" is and the Washington Times ran an editorial, "Hooray for Waterboarding!"  They'd burn people at the stake if they could!
8-P

And here's me thinking that waterboarding was like snowboarding, only warmer...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/07/07 at 6:35 pm

Why stick with water?  How about maple syrup-boarding?

How about beer-boarding, we did that in college!

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/08/07 at 1:31 am

You're closer to the truth than you know.

1) Try waterskiing for the first time.
2) Hold onto the rope, and fail to get up on the skis.
3) When the boat drags you underwater, that's as close as most civilians will get to the real thing.

Homework:  Find a .torrent for a Babylon 5 episode called "Intersections In Real Time". 

The dumbest part about waterboarding is that it's a crude method of torture. It might work against low-value targets, but it's ineffective against high-value targets. In other words, we're so far down the rabbit hole that we can't even do torture competently.  Or we have tons of low-value targets, but no high-value targets.  Either way, not terribly encouraging for our side.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/08/07 at 11:42 pm

You're closer to the truth than you know.

1) Try waterskiing for the first time.
2) Hold onto the rope, and fail to get up on the skis.
3) When the boat drags you underwater, that's as close as most civilians will get to the real thing.

Homework:  Find a .torrent for a Babylon 5 episode called "Intersections In Real Time". 

The dumbest part about waterboarding is that it's a crude method of torture. It might work against low-value targets, but it's ineffective against high-value targets. In other words, we're so far down the rabbit hole that we can't even do torture competently.  Or we have tons of low-value targets, but no high-value targets.  Either way, not terribly encouraging for our side.

I'd force 'em to listen to that Toad The Wet Sprocket song for 36 hours straight! 
Oh, so you still won't talk, eh?
All I want is to feel this way, to be this close, to feel the same....
Make it stop, make it stop!  I tell you anything!

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/13/07 at 1:56 am

I'd force 'em to listen to that Toad The Wet Sprocket song for 36 hours straight! 

And by this, we see that our colleague MaxwellSmart is soft on terror.  Strap him in and play the Celine Dion.  And IIIIIIiiiiiiIiiiiiiiIiiiiIIIiiiiIIIIIIII*censored*

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/13/07 at 1:10 pm

And by this, we see that our colleague MaxwellSmart is soft on terror.  Strap him in and play the Celine Dion.  And IIIIIIiiiiiiIiiiiiiiIiiiiIIIiiiiIIIIIIII*censored*

Actually they do use American music in that sort of way.  They bombarded Noriega with heavy metal during Operation Just Cause.

Toad The Wet Sprocket would be torture but Celine Dion would kill anyone outright.  I prefer to torture with the Proclaimer song 5000 miles.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/13/07 at 7:44 pm

Actually they do use American music in that sort of way.  They bombarded Noriega with heavy metal during Operation Just Cause.

Manuel didn't care, ask him any Metallica trivia question, including ones about Dave Mustane and Megadeth, and he'll hit it right on! 

Toad The Wet Sprocket would be torture but Celine Dion would kill anyone outright.  I prefer to torture with the Proclaimer song 5000 miles.

And I would pay 500 dollars not to hear these annoying Scots gits anymore....

The quickest way to get to me would be Backstreet Boys, "I Want it That Way."  I'd sell out all my buddies on the third time through!
8-P

Written By: philbo on 11/14/07 at 5:15 am

IIRC they played the Barney theme to suspected Islamist terrorists.  The bastards.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/14/07 at 12:02 pm

Manuel didn't care, ask him any Metallica trivia question, including ones about Dave Mustane and Megadeth, and he'll hit it right on! 

And I would pay 500 dollars not to hear these annoying Scots gits anymore....

The quickest way to get to me would be Backstreet Boys, "I Want it That Way."  I'd sell out all my buddies on the third time through!
8-P

He was a little miffed when they played "I Fought The Law" about 30 times.

Backstreet Boys, perhaps New Kids On The Block would be more potent. 8-P

Check for new replies or respond here...