» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Barrack Obama Poll

Written By: snozberries on 11/07/07 at 6:48 pm

I've been thinking about all of the exposure Barrack has been getting lately. He, like Hillary, has been making the talk show rounds but he has been getting press because

Oprah is a big supporter
He danced with Ellen
He played himself in an SNL Halloween skit (and threw a couple of barbs at Hillary while doing so...)

I don't think its any worse than Bill Clinton playing the sax with Arsenio's band... what do you think?

Subject: Re: Barrack Obama Poll

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/07/07 at 7:03 pm

In danger of overexposure.

And so what? I think Obama has a golden future in politics.  He doesn't need the presidency.  The race itself has lifted him to stardom.  He can write his own ticket henceforth.

Written By: snozberries on 11/07/07 at 7:39 pm

In danger of overexposure.

And so what? I think Obama has a golden future in politics.  He doesn't need the presidency.  The race itself has lifted him to stardom.  He can write his own ticket henceforth.

Its true... the first time I heard of him- I'm not really into politics... was on Oprah- this was long before he through his hat in the ring. He had either just been elected in Illinois or was promoting his first book... I don't recall but I remember after watching the interview liking him a lot.

Written By: Macphisto on 11/07/07 at 9:36 pm

I would much prefer Obama over Hillary, but let's face it....  A good portion of America would never vote for a black man as president (or a woman for that matter).

Written By: snozberries on 11/07/07 at 9:39 pm

I would much prefer Obama over Hillary, but let's face it....  A good portion of America would never vote for a black man as president (or a woman for that matter).

You may be right but I don't know they have a better shot at it now than ever before...

I was just interested in what people thougt because some shows are making a big deal about the Ellen and SNL appearance...  Hillary's  been on all kinds of talk shows the last couple of weeks but no one really commented on it... after the SNL performance all I heard about was that opening skit and its always linked to his appearances on Oprah and him dancing with Ellen....

Written By: Macphisto on 11/07/07 at 9:45 pm

True, the main good thing that will come out of the Democrats running Obama (if he somehow gets the nomination) is that it will set a precedent.  I'm no fan of Jesse Jackson, but he almost became the first black man to run for president (in the general election) in 1984.

Written By: snozberries on 11/07/07 at 10:19 pm

True, the main good thing that will come out of the Democrats running Obama (if he somehow gets the nomination) is that it will set a precedent.  I'm no fan of Jesse Jackson, but he almost became the first black man to run for president (in the general election) in 1984.

Jesse Jackson as President is very scary to me... I for one am sooo glad that never happened.

Written By: Jessica on 11/07/07 at 11:58 pm

I've said that before to my friends. There is no way they would vote for Obama, simply because of his skin color. In the same vein, I know a lot of Black people who have said they won't vote for him because he's not Black enough. WTF kind of crap is that?

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/08/07 at 12:25 am

If he's smart, he'll take whatever role he's offered under Clinton II, whether it's VP (unlikely, but possible; too much bad blood between the two right now, and no common interests between their respective financial backers) or just continuing as a Senator who gets a series of important committee chairmanships during Clinton II's reign.  With good performance in 2008-2016, he'll be a free agent in 2016, and will be in a much better position to decide which path to take.

If he's dumb, he'll burn his bridges by trying too hard to get the nomination, and be shuffled to the back bench, and find himself the Colin Powell or the John McCain of the Clinton II administration.

I've got mixed opinions on his policies; some I like, some I don't.  Overall, he seems like a smart guy.  I clicked (smart enough to be) "Just having fun."

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Written By: Macphisto on 11/08/07 at 12:26 am

I've said that before to my friends. There is no way they would vote for Obama, simply because of his skin color. In the same vein, I know a lot of Black people who have said they won't vote for him because he's not Black enough. WTF kind of crap is that?

Yep... a lot of the black community has a bad habit of not sticking up for itself.  Strangely, the black community also seems to accept gays less readily than the general public.  You would think minorities would stand up for each other, but more often than not, they don't.  I suppose that's part of why they remain minorities.

Granted, plenty of black people do stand up for each other and even other minorities.

Written By: Macphisto on 11/08/07 at 12:28 am

If he's smart, he'll take whatever role he's offered under Clinton II, whether it's VP (unlikely, but possible; too much bad blood between the two right now, and no common interests between their respective financial backers) or just continuing as a Senator who gets a series of important committee chairmanships during Clinton II's reign.  With good performance in 2008-2016, he'll be a free agent in 2016, and will be in a much better position to decide which path to take.

If he's dumb, he'll burn his bridges by trying too hard to get the nomination, and be shuffled to the back bench, and find himself the Colin Powell or the John McCain of the Clinton II administration.

I've got mixed opinions on his policies; some I like, some I don't.  Overall, he seems like a smart guy.  I clicked (smart enough to be) "Just having fun."

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

It seems like Richardson is the most likely running mate for Hillary.  He already has a history with Bill's administration.

Written By: snozberries on 11/08/07 at 8:48 pm

Yep... a lot of the black community has a bad habit of not sticking up for itself.  Strangely, the black community also seems to accept gays less readily than the general public.  You would think minorities would stand up for each other, but more often than not, they don't.  I suppose that's part of why they remain minorities.

Granted, plenty of black people do stand up for each other and even other minorities.

Sadly it dates back to slavery- the division between the house slaves and the field slaves.  Lighter skinned blacks who were regulated to house slave status seemed to be more privledged.... however its carried over in history- light skinned blacks denouncing their race to pass as white during the Jim Crow era. 

Darker-skinned blacks used to throw paper bag parties- meaning you had to be at least as dark as a brown paper bag to get into the party.

Even for me- growing up in the 70s and 80s I was just dark enough for people to recognize that I had some racial lines in my heritage but not light enough to pass for white... hence I was often approached with the question "What are you...."

This internalized racism is ridiculous. I think in a lot of ways its worse than external racism. Just last month I watched a documentary on Little Rock and Central High- I thought it was going to be a doc about what happened to the Little Rock 9 (nine black students had to enter segregated Central High with National Guards because the whites in Little Rock did not want desegregation).

Alas it wasn't about what became of the nine but how very little had changed at Central High... in fact- one could argue that black students are in a worse state than they were 50 years because the 9 fought for their education but now Central High, which is predominately black,  the majority of the white students are in AP classes and go on to Ivy League colleges but approx. only 3 black students are in AP classes. This was in 2006  :o

Then I watched Bill Cosby on Oprah- he didn't articulate it as well as I would have liked him to but he brought up this concept of the black community to stop hating itself, stop expecting to get handed stuff and take responsiblity for the children....

In a lot of ways we have come a long way but in some ways we are worse off than we've ever been... its shameful  :-[

Written By: Zoso on 11/08/07 at 10:04 pm

Jesse Jackson as President is very scary to me... I for one am sooo glad that never happened.
I actually really like Jesse Jackson. I'm not American so it doesn't concern me that he never did become President. But I would never have thought having him as the US president would be such a bad thing.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/08/07 at 10:59 pm

Is it scarier than George W. Bush?
???

Written By: snozberries on 11/08/07 at 11:58 pm

???

Um by a slight margin but yes...

Written By: Macphisto on 11/09/07 at 8:08 am

???

I'll have to agree with Maxwell on this one.  As much as I hate Jackson, I still don't hate him as much as I hate Bush.

Bush is more dangerous because he can actually get many of his bad ideas through Congress.  Jackson is radical enough that most of his bad ideas wouldn't make it through Congress, even with a Democratic majority in both houses.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/09/07 at 8:07 pm

I'll have to agree with Maxwell on this one.  As much as I hate Jackson, I still don't hate him as much as I hate Bush.

Bush is more dangerous because he can actually get many of his bad ideas through Congress.  Jackson is radical enough that most of his bad ideas wouldn't make it through Congress, even with a Democratic majority in both houses.

Jesse J. can be bought off.  He's no saint.  If he ever got close to the nomination, he'd be Mister Moderate on the double-quick!
::)

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/10/07 at 12:59 pm

I've been thinking about all of the exposure Barrack has been getting lately. He, like Hillary, has been making the talk show rounds but he has been getting press because

Oprah is a big supporter
He danced with Ellen
He played himself in an SNL Halloween skit (and threw a couple of barbs at Hillary while doing so...)

I don't think its any worse than Bill Clinton playing the sax with Arsenio's band... what do you think?

I think he's the key voter for many young voters. One of the reasons why Clinton won was because he  talked to the young people. Bush and his father really didn't, they talked more for the middle-class which became smaller.

Obama will get many young voters. Hilary will get voters who are woman and minorities.

But Hilary is too uptight. More so than Bush.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/10/07 at 4:16 pm

I think he's the key voter for many young voters. One of the reasons why Clinton won was because he  talked to the young people. Bush and his father really didn't, they talked more for the middle-class which became smaller.

Obama will get many young voters. Hilary will get voters who are woman and minorities.

Anybody in who thinks the Bushes speak to or for the middle class is a dupe.

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/10/07 at 5:41 pm

Anybody in who thinks the Bushes speak to or for the middle class is a dupe.

Well, after Reganomics, The Middle-Class who became Richer leaned toward the Right because things were going well. The Others thought life sucks so they lean toward the Left because they think he would get their ass out of poverty.

So I didn't mean it that way, what I meant to say is...the Politicians will always be for themselves.

Written By: Jessica on 11/10/07 at 7:30 pm

Don't think so. She'll get my vote when hell freezes over.

Written By: Macphisto on 11/12/07 at 6:13 pm

Jesse J. can be bought off.  He's no saint.  If he ever got close to the nomination, he'd be Mister Moderate on the double-quick!

You say that like it's a bad thing...

Written By: Macphisto on 11/12/07 at 6:15 pm

Clinton won the first time because of Perot, not because of any demographic.

Written By: Macphisto on 11/12/07 at 6:17 pm

Well, after Reganomics, The Middle-Class who became Richer leaned toward the Right because things were going well. The Others thought life sucks so they lean toward the Left because they think he would get their ass out of poverty.

So I didn't mean it that way, what I meant to say is...the Politicians will always be for themselves.

A large part of the middle class is part of the Religious Right.  That's a lot of the reason why it often votes Republican.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/12/07 at 7:31 pm

You say that like it's a bad thing...

Yes and no.  Nobody really likes it, but that's the way the mop flops.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/12/07 at 7:40 pm

I've heard many Republican say that they like Obama.  I haven't quite figured out why.  I think Obama would make a decent President.  Talk about Hillary winning the minority vote, Obama is minority, so is Richardson.  Like Jessica, Hillary will not be getting my vote.

Check for new replies or respond here...