» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Rain Man and The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Written By: Red Ant on 11/08/07 at 3:35 pm

I was reading the news and came across this article about the horrific drought in Georgia. I thought it was kinda silly... I mean, thinking that praying for rain is going to work.

"The only solution is rain, and the only place we get that is from a higher power" - yeah, it's called the sky and storms. If the higher power they are praying to could cure this drought, it's also plausible that higher power could have caused it. Maybe someone prayed for dry lake bed racing in Georgia first?

I decided to take the poll. This is the screenshot from it:

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/evil4.gif

Ant

Subject: Re: Rain Man and The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Written By: Macphisto on 11/08/07 at 6:49 pm

I think Sir Francis Walsingham (Geoffrey Rush) said it best from "Elizabeth" (the first one) -- "All men need something greater than themselves to look up to and worship. They must be able to touch the divine here on earth."

That being said, science is far more likely to save you than belief in an invisible higher power.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/08/07 at 8:27 pm

Depends on what form of higher power.  Are they specifically choosing a form?

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/08/07 at 10:01 pm

Hoffman the Rainmaker.  He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms.  During the rectification of the Vuldronaii, the Rainmaker came as a large and moving Torb!  Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants, they chose a new form for him - that of a giant Sloar!  Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, definitely many.

Depends on what form of higher power.  Are they specifically choosing a form?

*sigh* It's the Stay-Puft Marshmallow man. I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that I loved from my childhood. Something that would never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay-Puft.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/08/07 at 11:01 pm

When he clanged them together they played Stormy Weather....
:P

Written By: philbo on 11/09/07 at 5:16 am

I decided to take the poll. This is the screenshot from it:

OK, own up: how many times did you need to vote to get the number to 666?

So 3/4 of those voting think that prayer will do the trick?  How many people do they think need to pray to get that critical mass (so to speak) that'll make it start raining?

Written By: Red Ant on 11/09/07 at 5:37 am

OK, own up: how many times did you need to vote to get the number to 666?

Just once. No Photoshop either.

I spotted the "notes on poll results", which are quite funny, too:

"NOTE: Poll results are not scientific..."

No kidding. It seems to have a rather large margin of error...

So 3/4 of those voting think that prayer will do the trick?  How many people do they think need to pray to get that critical mass (so to speak) that'll make it start raining?

If the entire population of Georgia prayed, it would rain. I imagine all of that hot, moist air rising from the mouths of the people would be collected in the atmosphere, condense, and voila!: rain.

'course, that doesn't take into account that the people in Georgia are breathing 24/7 and it hasn't rained. Perhaps breathing upward in unison is the trick...

Ant

Written By: philbo on 11/09/07 at 7:00 am

Just once. No Photoshop either.

:)

I spotted the "notes on poll results", which are quite funny, too:

"NOTE: Poll results are not scientific..."

No kidding. It seems to have a rather large margin of error...

I don't know... it seems to me to be a statistically significant sample believes that prayer can cause rain.  You can draw scientific conclusions from that (though not about whether prayer actually does cause rain, more about the nature of belief in the face of contradictory evidence, or the people who choose to vote in on-line polls).

Written By: philbo on 11/09/07 at 7:01 am

...just had a thought: will post it in a new thread :)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/09/07 at 8:53 am

Hoffman the Rainmaker.  He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms.  During the rectification of the Vuldronaii, the Rainmaker came as a large and moving Torb!  Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants, they chose a new form for him - that of a giant Sloar!  Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, definitely many.

*sigh* It's the Stay-Puft Marshmallow man. I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that I loved from my childhood. Something that would never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay-Puft.

Now I don't feel so bad, I alway thought Papa Smurf was god material. :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/09/07 at 9:31 am

Georgia Democrats could start a parade and Zell Miller would rain on that!

Written By: Macphisto on 11/09/07 at 9:33 am

Zell Miller is actually very popular in Georgia.  That shows you how intelligent the average Georgian is.

I can't really talk though.  North Carolina really liked Jesse Helms.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/09/07 at 9:58 am

Zell Miller is actually very popular in Georgia.  That shows you how intelligent the average Georgian is.

I can't really talk though.  North Carolina really liked Jesse Helms.

There were charges of antisemitism one time when a black liberal Gerogia politician (I forgot which one, and I think their are only two!) said someone was a "Jew, a J-E-W Jew."  I said that's because most people in Georgia can't spell "Jew," oh pardon me!
:-X

It's funny about Jesse Helms, New England rednecks used to order Jesse bumper stickers for their pick-ups.  At the same time when y'all used to come up here from NC, you had bumper stickers that read: "I'm from North Carolina and I DON'T support Jesse Helms!"
:D

And when Dan Quayle was VP, Indianans used to drive around with "HEAD" bumper stickers, "Hoosiers Embarrassed About Dan."

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/12/07 at 12:54 pm

The drought here in Georgia is horrible.  All the big creeks I know of are gone, the river in the county forest Wildlife Management Area (WMA) where I go deer hunting sometimes is gone, the lake close to my house is nearly gone.

The governor of Alabama ain't helping either.

Electing a moderate democrat is somehow bad?  Not every state chooses to elect democrats of the Kennedy-Kerry-Boxer-Feingold-Schumer mold.

Written By: Macphisto on 11/12/07 at 6:08 pm

Electing a moderate democrat is somehow bad?  Not every state chooses to elect democrats of the Kennedy-Kerry-Boxer-Feingold-Schumer mold.

Correction...  Electing a Dixiecrat is bad.  Zell is like a less conservative version of Jesse Helms.  I'm no fan of Ted Kennedy either, but given the choice between those two, I'll take Ted.

Granted, I'd prefer a Libertarian, Libertarian-leaning Democrat, or Libertarian-leaning Republican over both of them.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/12/07 at 7:40 pm

Kennedy-Kerry-Boxer-Feingold-Schumer mold.

Feingold and Boxer have the stones to speak up when they think something is wrong and take a chance on p#ssing people off.  The other three are just pandering hacks.
::)

Check for new replies or respond here...