» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: The American dollar: R.I.P.

Written By: sonikuu on 11/11/07 at 6:14 pm

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w259/sonikuu/439.jpg

This is part of the reason why gas prices are so high, by the way.  In Europe, the rate of gas prices increasing is much lower than it is in the U.S.  Why?  Simple: an American dollar that is now worth about 93 cents Canadian.

Subject: Re: The American dollar: R.I.P.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/11/07 at 6:38 pm

You know the answer: Tax cuts for the rich, supply side economics, deregulation, get government out of the way; big government is the problem....

Wake up America!  You've been had, hoodwinked, bamboozled, hornswoggled!
::)

Written By: McDonald on 11/12/07 at 9:46 am

But on the bright side, my next stateside visit's going to be helluva a lot more comfortable!  :D I think I might even splurge on the good, (by which I mean 'imported') beer.

And you guys better be ready, 'cause Daddy wants his change back in LOONIES. None of this green Monopoly money! I got golddiggers to feed. LMAO!  ;D

http://www.rustydelux.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/ist2_85989_canadian_money_2.jpg

BOW DOWN!
We told you colourful money was the way to go, but you just didn't listen. And now look what your stuck with, a whole lot of green bath tissue.

I'm just joshin' you guys. If it's any consolation, things are still actually way cheaper down there than here. Prices haven't really gone down much here since parity, or since the CDN$ began dominating. We're getting screwed on both ends. Exports are suffering, and we don't even get cheaper imports as a consolation prize.

Written By: Davester on 11/12/07 at 10:03 am

Rather miraculous that America has stayed this strong so long, despite the weak currency, wouldn't you say?  Probably has to do with the fact that Israel is our best friend...

But seriously, it might be possible to stop total US economic collapse, if we start immediately, before the debt tops 70% of the GDP.  Would be pretty hard on Americans, though...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/12/07 at 1:47 pm

But the economy is doing good.  ::) ::)

I really don't understand what everyone is so upset about. They can just go down to their local Wal-Mart & buy cheap s**t from China-so who cares if the dollar isn't worth much. We might as well be using yuan.

Cat

Written By: McDonald on 11/12/07 at 2:52 pm

It might take a while, but things will probably return to normal within a few years. Of course, how long from now is almost entirely up to the willingness of the American government to govern responsibly, and up to the American people to vote responsibly.

Written By: whistledog on 11/12/07 at 5:24 pm

Last I heard, the CDN Dollar was up to $1.04 USD

As much as I like having a stronger dollar, I wish that it would be even

Written By: Macphisto on 11/12/07 at 6:03 pm

You know the answer: Tax cuts for the rich, supply side economics, deregulation, get government out of the way; big government is the problem....

Wake up America!  You've been had, hoodwinked, bamboozled, hornswoggled!

I agree with everything here except for the last 2.  We have bigger government, but it's mostly for a huge military.  If we decreased military spending, left Iraq, improved border security, moved towards alternative energy sources, and privatized Social Security, we'd have far less troubles involving our currency and its ties to oil.

Bigger government isn't the solution.  Smaller but well-designed government is.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/12/07 at 7:52 pm

I agree with everything here except for the last 2.  We have bigger government, but it's mostly for a huge military.  If we decreased military spending, left Iraq, improved border security, moved towards alternative energy sources, and privatized Social Security, we'd have far less troubles involving our currency and its ties to oil.

Bigger government isn't the solution.  Smaller but well-designed government is.

In spite of the vast expanse between social ideologies of the two men, I keep hearing callers to Washington Journal say the only candidates they like are Paul and Kucinich.

Never before have liberal Democrats and the John Birch Society been more in agreement with each other than either is with the political mainstream. 

Whether your chief concern is social justice or national sovereignty, the Bush Administration is your enemy.

Written By: Macphisto on 11/12/07 at 8:06 pm

In spite of the vast expanse between social ideologies of the two men, I keep hearing callers to Washington Journal say the only candidates they like are Paul and Kucinich.

Never before have liberal Democrats and the John Birch Society been more in agreement with each other than either is with the political mainstream. 

Whether your chief concern is social justice or national sovereignty, the Bush Administration is your enemy.

No doubt...  Paul and Kucinich are the kinds of people who should be leading us, but unfortunately, the corporate lackeys in the middle run the show now.

Written By: McDonald on 11/13/07 at 9:39 am

It might take a while, but things will probably return to normal within a few years. Of course, how long from now is almost entirely up to the willingness of the American government to govern responsibly, and up to the American people to vote responsibly.

In fact, I think it was last week it briefly hit $1.10 US.

Written By: Mushroom on 11/15/07 at 10:25 pm

But is it a question of the US Dollar being weak, or of the other currencies gaining strength?

Sure it is down against some currencies, but it is holding firm or even gaining against others.  The dollar currently gets you around 113 yen, the same amount that it bought the last time I was in Japan 17 years ago.  It is currently up YTD when compared to the Australian Dollar, the Swiss Franc, the Brittish Pound, the Japanese Yen, and many other currencies.

Most economists believe that the current situation is not due to loss of value of the Dollar, as much as an increase in value of both the Euro and the Canadian Dollar.

Written By: Macphisto on 11/16/07 at 11:11 pm

But is it a question of the US Dollar being weak, or of the other currencies gaining strength?

Sure it is down against some currencies, but it is holding firm or even gaining against others.  The dollar currently gets you around 113 yen, the same amount that it bought the last time I was in Japan 17 years ago.  It is currently up YTD when compared to the Australian Dollar, the Swiss Franc, the Brittish Pound, the Japanese Yen, and many other currencies.

Most economists believe that the current situation is not due to loss of value of the Dollar, as much as an increase in value of both the Euro and the Canadian Dollar.

Well, it is true that the Canadian dollar is even more tied to oil than our dollar is.  Currently, Alberta is experiencing a massive oil and gas boom.  As oil commodities rise in value, so does the Canadian dollar.

As for the Euro, most of its rise is due to smart debt management lately.

Check for new replies or respond here...