» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Tampa conservative or liberal

Written By: Brendan McClelland on 11/28/07 at 9:38 pm

Is Tampa a conservative or liberal city?

Subject: Re: Tampa conservative or liberal

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/28/07 at 9:56 pm

I don't know.  I suppose it depends on what part of town you live in.

Written By: Macphisto on 11/28/07 at 10:30 pm

According to Wikipedia, Tampa used to be a Democratic stronghold among the labor groups.  Nowadays, it's about half and half.  The impression I get from what I've read is that Tampa has always been socially conservative, but they tend to be economically populist or moderate -- hence the influence of unions.

Written By: Mushroom on 12/04/07 at 6:15 pm

According to Wikipedia, Tampa used to be a Democratic stronghold among the labor groups.  Nowadays, it's about half and half.  The impression I get from what I've read is that Tampa has always been socially conservative, but they tend to be economically populist or moderate -- hence the influence of unions.

That is pretty accurate for most of Florida.

Florida is a rather unique mix of differing groups.  The Hispanic community tends to be Liberal when it comes to Social Aid, but very conservative when it comes to Religion and Family.  The Jewish community tends to be very much the same way.

And there are about equal numbers of "New York" types that migrated with Liberal viewpoints, and home-grown self-sufficient Conservatives (who have lived there for generations).

That is probably why it has become such a key "Swing State" in recent ellections.  And while the main part of the state can go either way, the Panhandle is much more Conservative (being more rural, and the major population centers being centered around military bases).  This is probably why it tends to swing most often towards the more moderate candidate in an ellection.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/04/07 at 6:20 pm

^ Hey, it's Mushroom...shore leave?  :)

Written By: Mushroom on 12/04/07 at 6:40 pm

^ Hey, it's Mushroom...shore leave?  :)

Am actually back in 'Bama for 3 weeks leave.  I finished my training last Thursday, and am here taking care of a few things (like picking up my stuff and moving it all to Texas).

Training is all done, and I am going to be spending the next 3 years in El Paso. 

Written By: McDonald on 12/04/07 at 11:24 pm

I lived in Sarasota, just south of Tampa, for six years. I would say it really depends. The city of Sarasota always seemed very liberal to me, but it always seemed to vote conservative. I guess those votes came from the regions outside of the actual city, or there was a silent majority of Republicans out there somewhere.

Written By: Macphisto on 12/06/07 at 8:30 pm

That is pretty accurate for most of Florida.

Florida is a rather unique mix of differing groups.  The Hispanic community tends to be Liberal when it comes to Social Aid, but very conservative when it comes to Religion and Family.  The Jewish community tends to be very much the same way.

And there are about equal numbers of "New York" types that migrated with Liberal viewpoints, and home-grown self-sufficient Conservatives (who have lived there for generations).

That is probably why it has become such a key "Swing State" in recent ellections.  And while the main part of the state can go either way, the Panhandle is much more Conservative (being more rural, and the major population centers being centered around military bases).  This is probably why it tends to swing most often towards the more moderate candidate in an ellection.

Both Florida and Ohio intrigue me.  They both really seem to represent the diversity of opinions in America very well.

Written By: McDonald on 12/06/07 at 10:59 pm

Both Florida and Ohio intrigue me.  They both really seem to represent the diversity of opinions in America very well.

In the case of Florida, the further south you go, the less people you will meet that are actually from Florida originally. People from all over flock to south Florida for the sunshine and stuff. They didn't think so much about the hurricanes and tropical storms.

Written By: Mushroom on 12/08/07 at 3:19 pm

In many ways, it is the modern Incarnation of California.

Until the late 1980's, California was a critical "Swing State".  Because at that time, there was a ballance between the more liberal "Big Cities", and the much larger rural areas.  But by the end of the 1980's, that came to an end.  Now instead of moving back and forth during major elections it is firmly entrenched in the "Blue State" category.  And with the population of the megacities like LA, that is not likely to ever change.

Florida is still in balance, but who knows how long it will remain that way.  As the population of South Florida increases, it stands more and more likely that it will eventually swing either one way or the other.

And there are a lot of other such "Swing States" in the country, like Idaho.  But the population there is so small, that nobody really cares.  And even the Democrats in that state are so conservative that they often vote Republican because the national candidates for their party are often "to far in left field" for their taste.

Written By: Macphisto on 12/08/07 at 7:51 pm

Um...  Statistics would not support Idaho as a swing state.  Idaho is even more conservative than Utah.

Now, Colorado could be considered a swing state.

Granted, I agree with the rest of your post.

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/09/07 at 12:17 am

I would also not doubt that Texas is going to be a swing state. Yes, they love their Bush, but some areas they can't stand him and said that he overcame his stay in the White House.

I live in a Blue Region where Liberal Ideas are accepted.

Written By: Macphisto on 12/09/07 at 1:14 pm

I would also not doubt that Texas is going to be a swing state. Yes, they love their Bush, but some areas they can't stand him and said that he overcame his stay in the White House.

I live in a Blue Region where Liberal Ideas are accepted.

I really doubt that Texas or California will be swing states anytime soon.  I think there's a much greater chance that Colorado, Nevada, and Georgia will become swing states.

Check for new replies or respond here...