» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Imus in the Morning

Written By: danootaandme on 12/03/07 at 8:25 am

Well he is back, as we all knew he would be, and he has redesigned his show to include a couple of nappy-headed co-hosts instead of that ignorant race-baiter bernard whom he admitted that was hired to tell n****r jokes.  I admit I used to tune him in, then tune him out.  I am curious how the added diversity will change the show, will it make it worth my while to actually listen more than the 3 or 4 minutes that I used to give it before getting tired.  Are the two additions just a couple of Robin Quivers, or will they add dimension to the show?  I may tune in to find out.

Subject: Re: Imus in the Morning

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/03/07 at 9:28 am

The only thing I ever liked about Imus were the song parodies. In fact, I still have one taped off the radio from 1996ish, called "That Old Guy Robert Dole" (a parody of Bob Seger's "Old Time Rock and Roll") which was about the presidential run Bob Dole was making at the time.

He was a VH1 veejay too, but that was before I even watched it.

Written By: La Roche on 12/03/07 at 10:12 am

I always found Imus funny.. what made him funny was that he'd say whatever he wanted to, if this is going to be a toned down 'racially sensitive' Imus then I'm not interested.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/03/07 at 10:45 am

I always found Imus funny.. what made him funny was that he'd say whatever he wanted to, if this is going to be a toned down 'racially sensitive' Imus then I'm not interested.

There is a difference between being "racially sensitive" and being an idiot.  Let us not forget, he was very specific in hiring bernard to do n*****r jokes.  So I guess if the only reason you are listening is just to hear n***r jokes,  then I guess you may as well look elsewhere.

Written By: saver on 12/03/07 at 5:22 pm

Didn't get word from news stories..'Who/What show did they bootout to make way for him?'

In LA Clear Channel gave 10 personalities the pink slip...maybe a better New Year ahead for listeners??

Written By: La Roche on 12/03/07 at 6:43 pm

There is a difference between being "racially sensitive" and being an idiot.  Let us not forget, he was very specific in hiring bernard to do n*****r jokes.  So I guess if the only reason you are listening is just to hear n***r jokes,  then I guess you may as well look elsewhere.

I don't think Robert Byrd has a radio show does he?  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 12/03/07 at 7:04 pm

Didn't get word from news stories..'Who/What show did they bootout to make way for him?'

In LA Clear Channel gave 10 personalities the pink slip...maybe a better New Year ahead for listeners??

In the Boston area they had some lame local joker filling in, (well not really local, they imported him from one of those Carolinas), Michael Graham.  The guy talks like a miniature French Poodle...yip yip yip yip yip, goes right through you, and tries way to hard to one of the big kids but comes across as the tag-a-long little brother who doesn't have any friends of his own. They juggled the schedules cut hours here and there to fit everyone in.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/03/07 at 7:49 pm

There is a difference between being "racially sensitive" and being an idiot.  Let us not forget, he was very specific in hiring bernard to do n*****r jokes.   So I guess if the only reason you are listening is just to hear n***r jokes,  then I guess you may as well look elsewhere.

I thought Imus was a creep from the get-go; never mind "nappy-headed hoes."  His wisecracks were cutting, but not witty--which falls into the insult category rather than the satirical category.  The guy's got all the charm of a bathroom tile.  His political song parodies were lame...but I think most political song parodies are.  They just don't do it for me.  Whenever Ed Schultz or Thom Hartmann plays one, I switch to my CD player!  It takes a gifted songwriter to make a decent parody out of another song, and most parody writers are anything but gifted. 

Getting back to topic...

"Nappy-headed hoes" was crass, but it said nothing about the target and everything about the source.  Furthermore, it was less bigoted and less mean-spirited than the verbal sewage Rush Limbaugh spews daily from the Excrement In Broadcasting network. 

I think the return of Imus contributes nothing to the good of humanity, but it will not increase the number a-holes in the talk radio-listening demographic either.  When I heard Imus was getting another radio show, it was like seeing a big pile of dogcrap on the sidewalk:  Repulsive yes, but nothing I have to worry about; I'll be just fine so long as I don't step in it!
:P

Now that's a show I'd tune in to hear!  Just put the old timer in front of the mike and let him intone his stream of consciousness.  When the Byrd hits one of his senior moments on the senate floor, it's like a cross between William Faulkner and Jim from "Taxi."
:D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/03/07 at 11:29 pm

He's neither well spoken or funny.  He can't get a radio show with being a racist alone.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/04/07 at 6:56 am

I pretty much agree with Maxwell Smart. Even before his infamous comments, I never thought he was very likable as a person anyway.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/04/07 at 7:09 am

He spends most of the time talking about his ranch, the trophy wife, and the son.  He has a couple of daughters he walked out on, never mentions them. Maybe if he had paid more attention to his family he wouldn't have been so quick to call other peoples daughters "ho's"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/04/07 at 1:26 pm

He spends most of the time talking about his ranch, the trophy wife, and the son.  He has a couple of daughters he walked out on, never mentions them. Maybe if he had paid more attention to his family he wouldn't have been so quick to call other peoples daughters "ho's"

I knew one of Howie Carr's daughters.  She was estranged from him.  I didn't know her well enough to ask her why, but I suppose once she became a woman, she also became disgusted with her father's disrespect for women. 

They tried to break Howie nationwide about eight years ago.  They tested him out on a few AM affiliates outside the Boston region, but he didn't catch on.
::)

Written By: danootaandme on 12/04/07 at 6:38 pm

I knew one of Howie Carr's daughters.  She was estranged from him.  I didn't know her well enough to ask her why, but I suppose once she became a woman, she also became disgusted with her father's disrespect for women. 

They tried to break Howie nationwide about eight years ago.  They tested him out on a few AM affiliates outside the Boston region, but he didn't catch on.

I heard he had a nasty divorce.  The first time I remember hearing of him was when he called Liz Walker all kinds of names for having a child "without a name".  What? Walker not good enough?  Kevin Weeks said he and Whitey were gonna do him in, but when they went he was with his daughter and they changed their minds, don't know if the story is true, but it would have been their only redeeming act.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/04/07 at 8:00 pm

I heard he had a nasty divorce.  The first time I remember hearing of him was when he called Liz Walker all kinds of names for having a child "without a name".  What? Walker not good enough?  Kevin Weeks said he and Whitey were gonna do him in, but when they went he was with his daughter and they changed their minds, don't know if the story is true, but it would have been their only redeeming act.

It's probably BS.  Whitey is one of the most vile thugs ever to walk the streets of Boston.  His only code was "me first," which happens to be the attitude Howie promotes every afternoon.  Anyway, if Whitey wanted to whack Howie he would have done it or had it done even if it meant murdering his daughter in the process.  Just about the only thing I agree with Howie on is the Brothers Bulger.  Don't tell me Billy doesn't know where Whitey is!
>:(

I thought Howie was married the same woman since college or something, maybe she got sick of him too.  If he got divorced, it was nasty because everything about that man is nasty.  Howie is also a blatant racist, like Jay Severin, and he uses issues such as welfare and out-of-wedlock childbirth to justify it.  He calls the children "bastards."  He probably muzzled himself when it came to Liz Walker because she could fight back, and bullies fear people their own size, so to speak.

Written By: Macphisto on 12/06/07 at 8:33 pm

Well he is back, as we all knew he would be, and he has redesigned his show to include a couple of nappy-headed co-hosts instead of that ignorant race-baiter bernard whom he admitted that was hired to tell n****r jokes.  I admit I used to tune him in, then tune him out.  I am curious how the added diversity will change the show, will it make it worth my while to actually listen more than the 3 or 4 minutes that I used to give it before getting tired.  Are the two additions just a couple of Robin Quivers, or will they add dimension to the show?  I may tune in to find out.

My feelings are that, if it's ok for Marlon Wayans to confirm Imus's observation about the Rutgers team, then it should also be ok for Imus to have made the same joke.

Written By: snozberries on 12/06/07 at 8:49 pm

My feelings are that, if it's ok for Marlon Wayans to confirm Imus's observation about the Rutgers team, then it should also be ok for Imus to have made the same joke.

The difference is Marlon's a comedian Imus is not... "you should not practice magic you do not understand!" (The Indian in the Cupboard)

Written By: Macphisto on 12/06/07 at 9:34 pm

The difference is Marlon's a comedian Imus is not... "you should not practice magic you do not understand!" (The Indian in the Cupboard)

I've never taken Imus seriously.  I don't see why an offhand remark about a basketball team should be, coming from a talk radio host.  He seems pretty comedic to me, but admittedly, I find a lot of his humor tasteless.

Written By: snozberries on 12/06/07 at 10:10 pm

I've never taken Imus seriously.  I don't see why an offhand remark about a basketball team should be, coming from a talk radio host.  He seems pretty comedic to me, but admittedly, I find a lot of his humor tasteless.

It's like the Michael Richards thing... MR was an actor trying out stand up... its a very specific craft you have it or you don't neither Don nor Mike have it so they should just leave it to the professionals... I don't listen to Imus but I was offended when I heard about the comment... so I wish he'd been kept off the air a little longer.

Written By: Macphisto on 12/06/07 at 10:42 pm

Well, to be fair, what Richards said was a LOT more offensive.  I really don't see much of a comparison there.

Written By: snozberries on 12/07/07 at 1:17 am

Well, to be fair, what Richards said was a LOT more offensive.  I really don't see much of a comparison there.

they were both offensive... Richards was more blatant but as a black woman being called a ho is also very offensive my hair is currently nappy but I have NEVER been a ho!

Written By: danootaandme on 12/07/07 at 5:45 am

Richards was a lot more offensive, but why should that let Imus off the hook.  What Imus said was seriously offensive, and his buddy Bernard is worse.  And, Bernard, who was party to this and called them jig*b**s, is  the person Imus hired specifically to tell n****r jokes(are you listening?should I repeat?) the person Imus hired specifically to tell n*****r jokes  How offensive is that?  Oh before you dispute that, Imus admitted to that, on 60 Minutes no less.

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/07/07 at 11:42 am

I"m curious as to why the likes of Sharpton and Jackson, who seem to be so taken back and offended by the Imus comment haven't gone after guys like 50 cent who has been quoted as saying "'I ain't into ******s'' , and has had some of his music banned in some UK cities with a large gay population??

I smell racism at it's finest in their silence.....

Written By: Tia on 12/07/07 at 12:01 pm

i dont know about sharpton and jackson specifically -- although i've always found it a bit suspect that whenever the right talks about civil rights it always just seems to be about those two guys -- but i know that violence, misogyny and bigotry in rap music has been an issue among the socially conscious for decades.

the other thing is, musical artists have a different set of rules than broadcast people because you have to go out and buy their albums. people are less protected from comments like imus' because they go out on the public airwaves. i mean, why don't sharpton and jackson get worked up about marilyn manson pretending to worship satan? well, because a. it's kinda just not relevant, and b. he's a shock music artist and that's their job, to bite the head off bats and say shocking things. i in no way endorse 50 cent's abhorrent comment, just saying it's happening in a completely different context.

plus, 50 cent is a black artist but he's insulting gay people there. so i'd more expect a gay group rather than an african american group to speak out against him. and if he dropped the F bomb i'm sure someone has. it's a little hard to tease out where the "racism at its finest" is here.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/07/07 at 12:35 pm

I"m curious as to why the likes of Sharpton and Jackson, who seem to be so taken back and offended by the Imus comment haven't gone after guys like 50 cent who has been quoted as saying "'I ain't into ******s'' , and has had some of his music banned in some UK cities with a large gay population??

They have, and they are.  You really should try to be more informed.

Written By: Macphisto on 12/07/07 at 6:40 pm

Richards was a lot more offensive, but why should that let Imus off the hook.  What Imus said was seriously offensive, and his buddy Bernard is worse.  And, Bernard, who was party to this and called them jig*b**s, is  the person Imus hired specifically to tell n****r jokes(are you listening?should I repeat?) the person Imus hired specifically to tell n*****r jokes  How offensive is that?  Oh before you dispute that, Imus admitted to that, on 60 Minutes no less.

One thing I don't think I'll ever understand is how that word can be used in every line of lyrics in a rap song, but if a white guy says it, it's suddenly the end of his career.

I understand the history behind the word and everything, but seriously, do you even realize how much power the black community has given that word?  If it's so offensive that I can't even mention it here without using asterisks, that should imply very clearly what power it has.

Now, I understand why this word has the effect it does.  I totally understand why people got upset with what Richards said and what Imus said.  But someday, I hope we can get to the point where political correctness is more evenhanded in its approach.  Right now, it's simply ludicrous.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/07/07 at 9:59 pm

50 Cent is a clown who makes crummy rap records. Michael Richards is a has-been comic actor.

Don Imus was a nationally syndicated radio host penetrating almost every market and was on national television (MSNBC) every morning; he had for the asking the most powerful politicians as his guests.

There is no comparison.  If you can interview senators and presidential candidates on national TV, the responsibility you bear for what you say is deadly serious.  If you want to rub shoulders with the big boys, you should be held just as accountable as they.

Written By: snozberries on 12/08/07 at 12:29 am

my guess is since we're talking about sexuality here that they probably share the same views that's why they haven't come out defending it... but that's just a guess.

i dont know about sharpton and jackson specifically -- although i've always found it a bit suspect that whenever the right talks about civil rights it always just seems to be about those two guys -- but i know that violence, misogyny and bigotry in rap music has been an issue among the socially conscious for decades.

I cannot begin to tell you how much I HATE that Sharpton & Jackson think they are talking for me... first of all. If I had a choice these two clowns are not who I would put in front of the camera to speak for black America.  Sharpton speaks out of his ass and Jackson is so inarticulate its just embarrassing...  I'm gonna make some enemies by saying this cuz I know Jesse did some good things back in the day but I wish to God that bullet that hit King had been aimed just a little more to the right... I think this would be a different world if Jackson had been assassinated and King had lived.

One thing I don't think I'll ever understand is how that word can be used in every line of lyrics in a rap song, but if a white guy says it, it's suddenly the end of his career.

I hate that word no matter who uses it... I think we (blacks) do ourselves a great disservice when we use it as freely as we use brother or friend.  I can't do anything about it in the music... I know the NAACP tried to bury it a few months ago but its still out there.  Until we believe in all the things we want to achieve we will always be a step behind.  Richard Pryor got it...why can't the rappers and everyone else???

Written By: danootaandme on 12/08/07 at 4:26 am

Now, I understand why this word has the effect it does.  I totally understand why people got upset with what Richards said and what Imus said.  But someday, I hope we can get to the point where political correctness is more evenhanded in its approach.  Right now, it's simply ludicrous.

I don't think you get it. If you did you wouldn't wonder at all at the why, as odious as it is, it is much worse for a talk show host to hire someone to say it, than it is for thugs on the street to say it.  Do you think that in African American homes and neighborhoods people go around calling each other n* ?  It is much more unseemly(lucicrous), to me, to listen to the "but he can say it. why can't I?" whine. 

Written By: Macphisto on 12/08/07 at 11:02 am

I don't think you get it. If you did you wouldn't wonder at all at the why, as odious as it is, it is much worse for a talk show host to hire someone to say it, than it is for thugs on the street to say it.  Do you think that in African American homes and neighborhoods people go around calling each other n* ?  It is much more unseemly(lucicrous), to me, to listen to the "but he can say it. why can't I?" whine. 

You can blame me for "whining" when rappers stop using the word regularly in their music.  Until then, you're supporting hypocrisy.

Written By: Macphisto on 12/08/07 at 11:04 am

I hate that word no matter who uses it... I think we (blacks) do ourselves a great disservice when we use it as freely as we use brother or friend.  I can't do anything about it in the music... I know the NAACP tried to bury it a few months ago but its still out there.  Until we believe in all the things we want to achieve we will always be a step behind.  Richard Pryor got it...why can't the rappers and everyone else???

Agreed.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/08/07 at 4:38 pm

I wish everybody would stop using the word.

There is a double standard, but there's a clear reason for the double standard.  Historically, white people used the n-word in the context of violent, murderous repression of blacks.  That is why black people can get away with using the n-word and white people cannot. 

I have heard the rationalizations for why black kids use the n-word (and it's usually among males under 30), but it's still the most hurtful word in the English language and I don't think they do anybody any favors by using it, least of all themselves.

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/08/07 at 6:04 pm

I disagree.  A talk show host is probably being heard by a more mature listening audience..whereas rappers saying the N word constantly are hitting a younger less mature audience.  Which mind is being manipulated more??

Just a thought...if Imus were allowed to stay on the air, and every day made mention of "Nappy headed Ho's" without repercussion from his employers....and rappers who could(are) constantly bombarding anybody who will listen and buy their filth...who do you think would be publicized more by those speaking out against such actions??  The answer is pretty clear in my mind......

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/08/07 at 6:18 pm

I disagree.  A talk show host is probably being heard by a more mature listening audience..whereas rappers saying the N word constantly are hitting a younger less mature audience.  Which mind is being manipulated more??

Oh please. Howard Stern, Don Imus, Sean Hannity, and Glenn Beck are mature? Talk radio is anything but mature.  Rush Limbaugh is just Republican gangsta rap.

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/08/07 at 6:32 pm

Oh please. Howard Stern, Don Imus, Sean Hannity, and Glenn Beck are mature? Talk radio is anything but mature.  Rush Limbaugh is just Republican gangsta rap.

From wikepedia...an awful lot of "immature" people that wanted to be on his program....

>>Originally considered a shock jock, Imus turned his show more towards politics and news and gained public influence as a result. During the 1990s, Imus in the Morning became increasingly important as a useful, non-traditional platform for politicians to express their views and gain exposure. Former U.S. Sen. Al D'Amato (R-N.Y.) was one of the first officeholders to ingratiate himself with "The I-man", as Imus was frequently called by cast and guests. The show's many guests included prominent politicians such as Barack Obama, Joe Biden, Mitt Romney, John McCain, John Kerry, Vice President Dick Cheney, J.D. Hayworth and Harold Ford, Jr., as well as reporters and columnists from Newsweek, NBC, MSNBC,CNN, Fox News and other media outlets. Among the cream of the press who regularly appeared on the show were Tom Brokaw, Tim Russert, Dan Rather, Brian Williams, Andrea Mitchell, Cokie Roberts, Sam Donaldson, Howard Fineman, Mike Barnicle, Frank Rich, Jonathan Alter and Jeff Greenfield. In 1997, Imus was named as one of Time magazine's "25 most influential people in America"; he was also on the cover of Newsweek in 1999.

In 2005, Imus in the Morning was carried by about 90 radio stations across the United States, although at the time of its 2007 CBS Radio/MSNBC cancellation it was carried by 61 stations. Arbitron analysis put the program among the most listened to radio talk shows in the United States, with about 1.6 million radio listeners per week.

Sounds like a pretty immature group of people to me....

Written By: Macphisto on 12/08/07 at 7:48 pm

Exactly.  As tasteless as Imus can be, he's still more mature than 50 Cent.  He's also a lot less destructive in his message than 50 Cent.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/08/07 at 8:06 pm

Exactly.  As tasteless as Imus can be, he's still more mature than 50 Cent.  He's also a lot less destructive in his message than 50 Cent.

How destructive is the message that you can be a female who works hard to get into college, play sports, conduct yourself with personal and professional respect, but still be nothing but a 'ho?

Written By: Macphisto on 12/08/07 at 10:23 pm

How destructive is the message that you can be a female who works hard to get into college, play sports, conduct yourself with personal and professional respect, but still be nothing but a 'ho?

I guess that depends on how histrionic you want to be in reaction to it.

In short, consider the source.  I think Imus understandably should be expected to be more careful with his words, but at the same time, the players themselves seemed to handle Imus better than a lot of others did.

Written By: snozberries on 12/08/07 at 10:58 pm

I guess that depends on how histrionic you want to be in reaction to it.

In short, consider the source.  I think Imus understandably should be expected to be more careful with his words, but at the same time, the players themselves seemed to handle Imus better than a lot of others did.

it's the equivilent of calling the men's bball team thugs...

what if- I don't know- he called the hoosiers a bunch of hicks?

these kids work hard and should be seen for their efforts not lumped into some stereotype to be labeled...-

Written By: Macphisto on 12/08/07 at 11:36 pm

it's the equivilent of calling the men's bball team thugs...

what if- I don't know- he called the hoosiers a bunch of hicks?

these kids work hard and should be seen for their efforts not lumped into some stereotype to be labeled...-

I agree that they work hard to be on these teams, but I can assure you that if the Hoosiers were called hicks, honkies, crackers, or any other white slur, it wouldn't even make the news -- even if Imus was black and said it.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/09/07 at 3:31 pm

I can assure you that if the Hoosiers were called hicks, honkies, crackers, or any other white slur, it wouldn't even make the news -- even if Imus was black and said it.

Funny, he never seems to go there.

Written By: Macphisto on 12/09/07 at 3:47 pm

Funny, he never seems to go there.

Good point...  Maybe he feels that it would be a little too close to home to call them hicks.  He's rather... unpolished...  himself.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/09/07 at 3:58 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/headbang.gif
Yow! You said it!  And I sayeth when a man gets as much media power, per the above, as Imus he's going to get his ass in a sling if he keeps talking trash.  You know, can you picture Tim Russert saying "nappy-headed ho's"?  Of course not!  If you want to be in the bigtime, conduct yourself like the bigtime.  Otherwise, stick to Wayne's World.  And don't let your mouth write checks your ass can't cash!  Rush Limbaugh had the the bucks and the cache to absorb the revelation Rush is a junkie.  You couldn't weasle your way out of a single momentary indiscretion.  That should let you know where you stand in the marketplace!

Written By: Macphisto on 12/09/07 at 4:03 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/headbang.gif
Yow! You said it!  And I sayeth when a man gets as much media power, per the above, as Imus he's going to get his ass in a sling if he keeps talking trash.  You know, can you picture Tim Russert saying "nappy-headed ho's"?  Of course not!  If you want to be in the bigtime, conduct yourself like the bigtime.  Otherwise, stick to Wayne's World.  And don't let your mouth write checks your ass can't cash!  Rush Limbaugh had the the bucks and the cache to absorb the revelation Rush is a junkie.  You couldn't weasle your way out of a single momentary indiscretion.  That should let you know where you stand in the marketplace!

Good points...  We generally expect rappers to be drug addicts and criminals, and a large portion of them are.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/09/07 at 4:20 pm

Good points...  We generally expect rappers to be drug addicts and criminals, and a large portion of them are.

Well, it's the free market.  The criminals get to be rappers because it's a proven market success.  If clean living, up-with-people Jesus rappers sold in the first place, that's what would define rap.  People like to hear about other people being bad, that's why shows about cops sell and shows about accountants do not! That's why there would be no Hamlet if the prince went out on picnics with his doting parents.

P.S.  If you think there are no clean-lving, up-wth people Jesus rappers, I've seen otherwise, oh I have seen!
8-P

Anyway, in the bigtime from Walter Cronkite to Brian Williams media stars project an aura that says:  "I'm a decent person, I am rational person, I am a good person."  Now, Imus conducted himself like rowdy redneck who found Hooters was closed on Christmas.  Creepy and demented worked for Howard Stern because nobody expected to take him seriously.  Imus didn't commit to either side.  He kept himself respected enough to get on MSNBC, but nasty enough to throw foul insults at people.  After 35 years, his luck ran out.  I'd say he had a pretty goo run.

Check for new replies or respond here...