» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Where can you get American(or other than China)made XMAS CARDS at good price?

Written By: saver on 12/04/07 at 3:54 pm

This holiday season I was convinced to protest 'China' by NOT purchasing ANYTHING made in...
when I went to TARGET, BIG LOTS, and a local grocery in LA, and KMART ALL I found were MADEINCHINA cards at that $6-$7 rate...

In case you are interested WHY to protest the China made goods(other than the lead factor) see pushback.com

This year the American fleet with family in Hong Kong wanted to dock and be reunited, and CHINA prohibited them from doing so! While families turned out thinking they'd be together...

OOOOOO how nice of them..forget it, they aren't getting money from me..

If there is an American card company that sells boxed cards this year(I may pay the higher price)..let me know..THere is American Greeting and some pet orgs. I think..I'll loook into that..

Join in if you will..STOP BUYING CHINA MADE GOODS...When they feel it in their pockets, they'll think better.

Subject: Re: Where can you get American(or other than China)made XMAS CARDS at good price?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/04/07 at 8:01 pm

Make your own damn xmas cards!
::)

Subject: Re: Where can you get American(or other than China)made XMAS CARDS at good price

Written By: McDonald on 12/04/07 at 11:21 pm

Why don't you support a local photographer, or photography studio by having him take a photograph of you and your family or whatever and then let him develop them.

Subject: Re: Where can you get American(or other than China)made XMAS CARDS at good price

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/05/07 at 12:37 pm

This holiday season I was convinced to protest 'China' by NOT purchasing ANYTHING made in...
when I went to TARGET, BIG LOTS, and a local grocery in LA, and KMART ALL I found were MADEINCHINA cards at that $6-$7 rate...

In case you are interested WHY to protest the China made goods(other than the lead factor) see pushback.com

This year the American fleet with family in Hong Kong wanted to dock and be reunited, and CHINA prohibited them from doing so! While families turned out thinking they'd be together...

OOOOOO how nice of them..forget it, they aren't getting money from me..

If there is an American card company that sells boxed cards this year(I may pay the higher price)..let me know..THere is American Greeting and some pet orgs. I think..I'll loook into that..

Join in if you will..STOP BUYING CHINA MADE GOODS...When they feel it in their pockets, they'll think better.

Thank you (and karma). I'm trying to convince people NOT to buy products made in China myself. I find it very difficult to find products that are not made in China. I did buy my Xmas cards but didn't look where they were made.  :-[  Maybe when I get around to filling them out, I will see where they are made and probably made in China.  :-\\ We are making sure that the toys we get for our grandkids are NOT made in China and hopefully all made locally.

Cat

Subject: Re: Where can you get American(or other than China)made XMAS CARDS at good price?

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/05/07 at 12:40 pm

My cards were photo cards that were printed in the USA but I have no idea where the paper came from. 

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/05/07 at 4:55 pm

Print yer own.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/05/07 at 9:07 pm

If the envelopes are also made in China, the lickable envelope adhesive probably has the date rape drug in it!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/drunken_smilie.gif

Written By: saver on 12/05/07 at 9:22 pm

Make your own damn xmas cards!
::)

And a MELLY CLISTMAS TOO YOO TOO :-* :-*

Written By: saver on 12/05/07 at 9:27 pm

If the envelopes are also made in China, the lickable envelope adhesive probably has the date rape drug in it!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/drunken_smilie.gif

I herd from my uncle Bubba the sparkles the Chinese made cards have on them, came frum da bodies of the 14 year old underage strippers dems got o'er there! :o :o 

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/05/07 at 9:31 pm

Print yer own.
Of course, what if the printer, ink, computer, software, paper, etc were all made in China?

Written By: Red Ant on 12/06/07 at 2:52 am

Of course, what if the printer, ink, computer, software, paper, etc were all made in China?

Just a guess...

Printer: Made in Taiwan
Computer: Made in Taiwan or China
Software: Made in USA
Paper: Made in USA or CAN
Etc: Made in ETC

;)

I'm not big on Christmas cards, but if I look for any this year I'll be sure to check to see if they are made in China.

Way off topic and timeframe, but I realized the horrifying the other day: I LOVE the 4th of July.... but how do many people celebrate Independence Day? By lighting off Chinese-made fireworks...

Maybe burning Chinese-made products isn't such a bad idea after all.

The sicker thought that crossed my mind is that all of the "Made in America" or "Made in the USA" stickers are made in China...

Ant

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/06/07 at 4:01 am

Just a guess...

Printer: Made in Taiwan
Computer: Made in Taiwan or China
Software: Made in USA
Paper: Made in USA or CAN
Etc: Made in ETC

;)

I'm not big on Christmas cards, but if I look for any this year I'll be sure to check to see if they are made in China.

Way off topic and timeframe, but I realized the horrifying the other day: I LOVE the 4th of July.... but how do many people celebrate Independence Day? By lighting off Chinese-made fireworks...

Maybe burning Chinese-made products isn't such a bad idea after all.

The sicker thought that crossed my mind is that all of the "Made in America" or "Made in the USA" stickers are made in China...

Ant

Crayons and paper.  Yes, it'll make for really crappy Christmas cards but . . . Crayola still has plants in the US and Mead paper is based in Ohio.  No, imports and no chance of a date rape drug.  If you're worried about the envelopes you can always make envelopes and seal them with bees wax. (Made by American bees)

Written By: karen on 12/06/07 at 8:54 am

My Christmas cards are by American Greetings.  Still Made in China

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/06/07 at 1:02 pm

I have checked my cards. I can't remember what brand but they are made in the U.S.A. YAY!!!!

Cat

Written By: saver on 12/07/07 at 11:40 pm

Success!!!!

Bought made in usa cards from Fantus Paper Products/Chicago...

at the 99Cent only store!
BAH!!Take that China!

Tried buying silverware as a gift from Target,Kmart and Bed Bath Beyond and yep China made:Target Essentials AND Martha Stewart!

Nice deal they must've worked out!

Written By: Dagwood on 12/08/07 at 12:13 am

I know most of you hate Wal-Mart, but that's where I got my cards and they were made in the USA.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/08/07 at 12:25 am

I don't know, I never looked to see where my greeting cards were made lol.  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 12/08/07 at 4:32 am

Bah  Humbug!

Seriously, I have been on the Made in USA bandwagon for decades, and it is increasingly more difficult.  I don't demonize the Chinese for it, it is our own fault for letting it happen. There is room for trade, but we have allowed our leaders to sell us out.  Let us not forget that bushie was the first Presidente to have the US Budget printed in China.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/07 at 5:45 pm

Use Correction Fluid on last year's card and send them out this year.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/08/07 at 5:46 pm

Bah  Humbug!

Seriously, I have been on the Made in USA bandwagon for decades, and it is increasingly more difficult.  I don't demonize the Chinese for it, it is our own fault for letting it happen. There is room for trade, but we have allowed our leaders to sell us out.  Let us not forget that bushie was the first Presidente to have the US Budget printed in China.

On a related topic: Chinese-made scout badges with lead paint!
http://www.masslive.com/news/topstories/index.ssf?/base/news-2/1197102123263930.xml&coll=1

Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/08/07 at 5:51 pm

Use Correction Fluid on last year's card and send them out this year.

Now that is chee-eeap!  I've hard of re-gifting, but you've gotta be a world-class skinflint to re-card!
:D

Scene from my New England Yankee family xmas past:

Aunt Carolyn:  Oh, you shouldn't have!
Aunt Edith: Well, it's the cheap model, and it was on sale.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/09/07 at 12:43 pm

Now that is chee-eeap!  I've hard of re-gifting, but you've gotta be a world-class skinflint to re-card!
:D

Scene from my New England Yankee family xmas past:

Aunt Carolyn:  Oh, you shouldn't have!
Aunt Edith: Well, it's the cheap model, and it was on sale.

Do we have the same relatives?  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/10/07 at 7:41 pm

^
Something like that.  The old Yankee thrift.  It's dying out, but it was especially heavy with that generation, the ones who remembered the Great Depression!  Evident around xmas:  My grandfather always got his tree xmas eve. He'd pick the scrawniest stalk on the lot and offer the guy a buck for it!  Family photos show Grandpa's spindley trees with crooked trunks over the years.  Then it used to take those guys forever opening gifts so as not to tear the paper for chrissakes!  My birthday's in April, but Nana used to give me presents wrapped in Santa Clauses!  "It's perfectly good, you should save it!"  That was the mantra.  Turkey?  My Nana would boil the last bit of marrow out of every bone and let no gristle go to waste.  She could dish up any leftovers no matter how nasty, and my Gramps would eat 'em with no sign of objection!  The Depression did funny things to people.  It's not like they lived in some Hooverville either.  When the Depression struck, Grandpa was in med school and Nana was a volunteer aide at the hospital where he was interning (her family could afford her "volunteering," you see!)  Nope.  The Yankees always pinched a nickel and when the panic set in, they pinched it even harder.  Over and over and over again Nana told the story of how she'd walk clear across Boston to save a nickel in carfare!  Frugality is a virtue, but their virtue got a bit haywire!
;D

Written By: statsqueen on 12/10/07 at 8:37 pm

Most of the ones I used this year were from the Elks Lodge.

I have some that I used a few years ago (from the Fantus company mentioned earlier).  The ones I bought last year (that are still in the plastic) are from Wal-Mart (2.50 for 18 cards & envelopes) and they say Made in the USA on the back.

Check for new replies or respond here...