» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Gender bias on the politics board

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/04/07 at 10:29 pm

A female board member told me her posts on the Politics & Religion board are routinely ignored while posts here by male members generate more discussion. 

I do notice fewer women choose to post on P&R than men; however, I don't consider gender in my replies unless it is pertinent to the topic.  I cannot speak for anyone else.

I hope this board is equally welcoming to all, but perhaps there is some unintended male chauvinsim here.

Any thoughts?

???

Subject: Re: Gender bias on the politics board

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/04/07 at 11:05 pm

No, I don't think so.  I usually get responses from those who's opinion I value.

Written By: Mushroom on 12/04/07 at 11:08 pm

To me, the gender of a person means nothing.  It never has, and never will.

In fact, it sometimes surprises me when I actually take the time to look at a user's gender, and find out that they are not what I expected from reading things they have posted.  I think I responded to things Quirt had said for quite a while, before I even bothered to look and see her sex.  And there are a few who I thought were female, and ended up to be male.

To me, I respond to posts for several reasons.  Most often, it is either to dissagree based on my own experience, or to try and elaborate on something they have said, giving more detail or facts.

About the only types of posts I generally ignore is those that say little more then "I am right, so there".  There really is very little there to work with, so I rarely bother.  I also generally ignore those that genarally fall along the lines of "Everybody knows that such-and-such is true", since that type of statement is generally not worth even responding to.  They see everything as black-and-white, and ignore all the grey in the middle.

Written By: McDonald on 12/04/07 at 11:18 pm

I moved this post from the other board to this one, since it's just more pertinent here.

There are people on this board whose genders I still don't know, and I've been posting here for over 3 years. Sometimes I've been shocked because my mind has assigned a gender to a poster's online persona which is not at all their actual gender. Tia would be an example. I thought for the longest time he was a woman, simply because he always had pictures of that actress on his sig lines and as his personal photo. And all the time, I always paid attention to his posts, because I found them informative and with good perspective.

Written By: Davester on 12/05/07 at 12:40 am

Nope...

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/05/07 at 2:12 am

A female board member told me her posts on the Politics & Religion board are routinely ignored while posts here by male members generate more discussion. 

"Relax, we're all just ones and zeroes here!"

A modest proposal -- drop the "Gender: " from beneath the user's information as displayed in the message boards.

The only time I look at the field is when I'm about to post something completely tasteless... and even then, I usually ask myself "If that field wasn't there, and I didn't know its value, would I still post this off-color one-liner?  Of course I would!", and I click "Submit".

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/05/07 at 2:55 am

Of course, the correct term is "sex," not gender, but sex is such a loaded word I went with gender.
::)

I hadn't noticed bias myself, but I didn't want to deny outright what the poster said.  That's why I asked. 

Written By: danootaandme on 12/05/07 at 5:51 am

I clicked sometimes.  It is only a feeling I have sometimes.  I would also say that I have sometimes mistaken posters genders, but think it is ok to leave the qualification.  If you don't want people to know you don't  have to put it in.

Written By: philbo on 12/05/07 at 9:53 am

It wasn't until this thread made me think about it, but ISTM the times when I check the http://www.inthe00s.com/Themes/babylon/images/Female.gif/http://www.inthe00s.com/Themes/babylon/images/Male.gif logos have only been after I've typed a response and just before posting: it if I think that what I've typed may make a difference depending on the sex of the recipient.. just to make sure I'm not saying something I shouldn't.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/05/07 at 12:47 pm

I said no. I think here more any other place gender bias does not exist. What we see are words & pics, we don't the person behind the words & pics. I think if we were sitting in the same room with people, it would be different because gender really jumps out at you-whether you are paying attention or not. I never have nor will ever check the http://www.inthe00s.com/Themes/babylon/images/Female.gif/http://www.inthe00s.com/Themes/babylon/images/Male.gif  Why? Because I want my words to be heard as me-not my gender. Also if people can't figure out my gender by my username-they have some serious problems.  ;) :D ;D

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 12/05/07 at 1:30 pm

Also if people can't figure out my gender by my username-they have some serious problems.  ;) :D ;D

Cat

and...Every picture tells a story  ;) ;D

Written By: Midas on 12/05/07 at 2:52 pm

I voted no.  I rarely post in here but from what I've read in posts in this forum I haven't seen any evidence that someone's post or opinion carries more weight than another because of their gender or sex.  It's what's said in the content of the post(s) that establishes credibility and merit.

Written By: nally on 12/05/07 at 4:42 pm

I don't think so...everyone's certainly entitled to their opinions, and I respect it totally.

Written By: thereshegoes on 12/05/07 at 7:10 pm

I do notice fewer women choose to post on P&R than men; however, I don't consider gender in my replies unless it is pertinent to the topic.  I cannot speak for anyone else.

I hope this board is equally welcoming to all, but perhaps there is some unintended male chauvinsim here.

Any thoughts?

???

No way!
You can say on P&R posts by the "usual suspects" generate more discussion,if you're a newbie(female or male) and you post something not shocking it will take a while to be noticed,that's every message board hidden rule.

That said i do find it extremely chauvinist a thread like "Babelicious Political Babes"! Where are the boys,dammit? >:(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/05/07 at 7:29 pm

No way!
You can say on P&R posts by the "usual suspects" generate more discussion,if you're a newbie(female or male) and you post something not shocking it will take a while to be noticed,that's every message board hidden rule.

That said i do find it extremely chauvinist a thread like "Babelicious Political Babes"! Where are the boys,dammit? >:(

Here ya go.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=24187.0

BTW, I found this thread down on page 22.  :\'(

Cat

Written By: thereshegoes on 12/05/07 at 7:33 pm

Here ya go.

Cat

Wow,Cat! Nice!
I'm gonna bring that back,i'm crushin' on a few sexy politicians. Hell George Clooney is all political nowdays :-*

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/05/07 at 8:59 pm

No way!

As Cat points out, that was balanced by the "Political Beefcake" thread, or something like that.  I started neither, but I posted on both. 

I'll bet women are less likely to include the gener symbol in their profiles.  Pink and blue for those symbols might be a bit sexist in itself.

Written By: Red Ant on 12/05/07 at 10:13 pm

Of course men's views carry more weight than the women's. We are heavier by weight... and can be bigger a-holes.  :D

I voted no.  I think Midas nailed it.

Ant

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/06/07 at 3:53 am

Here ya go.

Cat

Now that brings back memories. :)

Written By: Tia on 12/06/07 at 7:49 am

I moved this post from the other board to this one, since it's just more pertinent here.

There are people on this board whose genders I still don't know, and I've been posting here for over 3 years. Sometimes I've been shocked because my mind has assigned a gender to a poster's online persona which is not at all their actual gender. Tia would be an example. I thought for the longest time he was a woman, simply because he always had pictures of that actress on his sig lines and as his personal photo. And all the time, I always paid attention to his posts, because I found them informative and with good perspective.
well, thanks, mcd! i appreciate that.

i kinda stopped doing the avatar thing but it was always funny to argue with people as a teenage girl because i actually think it helped keep things from getting out of hand. there's only so agitated someone could get when they're bickering about the Iraq War with someone who looks like this... http://kimrichards.net/Kim/vidcaps/RFWM/thumbs/TN_gc-ReturnFromWitchMountain-165.jpg

Written By: danootaandme on 12/06/07 at 7:50 am

well, thanks, mcd! i appreciate that.

i kinda stopped doing the avatar thing but it was always funny to argue with people as a teenage girl because i actually think it helped keep things from getting out of hand. there's only so agitated someone could get when they're bickering about the Iraq War with someone who looks like this... http://kimrichards.net/Kim/vidcaps/RFWM/thumbs/TN_gc-ReturnFromWitchMountain-165.jpg

I loved that avatar, and its incarnations  ;D

Written By: Tia on 12/06/07 at 9:01 am

I loved that avatar, and its incarnations  ;D
yeah, i thought it was pretty hilarious. but i milked it for two years or something and plus some folks didn't seem to get that the KR fixation was a bit of a gag on my part. and that made me a bit nervous.

but there's a goofy KR expression for every mood, it's quite amazing.

http://kimrichards.net/Kim/vidcaps/RFWM/gc-ReturnFromWitchMountain-163.jpg

"i miss my civil liberties." :(

Written By: Macphisto on 12/06/07 at 6:47 pm

Any thoughts?

???

It may be a case of interest differences.  I only post in threads I find interesting, so if a woman posts something that I have no interest in, I just pass it over.  It's not directly because she's a woman though.

There are just some topics that mostly men find interesting and others that mostly women do.  So, if we can assume that more men than women already frequent this subforum, that puts female-oriented interests at a disadvantage when it comes to participation.

I make the assumption that more men come to this particular subforum since most women I know really don't care about politics.  The religion part of this forum is probably of more interest to them, but there don't seem to be a lot of threads about religion here.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/07/07 at 5:49 am

I make the assumption that more men come to this particular subforum since most women I know really don't care about politics.  The religion part of this forum is probably of more interest to them, but there don't seem to be a lot of threads about religion here.

hmmmmmm

Written By: philbo on 12/07/07 at 7:17 am

hmmmmmm

Don't be too sceptical: ISTM it's a reasonable extrapolation from personal experience.  I have quite the opposite experience (both my mother and sister were/are extremely active politically), so I wouldn't make the same assumption; however, it may just be that the women *he knows* are uncharacteristically apolitical. If you see what I mean.

Written By: Tia on 12/07/07 at 7:29 am

true, although it's also pretty easy to see how such a comment might come out of preconception and that the perception is a bias arising out of the preconception.

wait. did that make sense? perhaps he started off thinking women are less political and now simply sees the world that way. is what i meant.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/07/07 at 7:34 am

Don't be too sceptical: ISTM it's a reasonable extrapolation from personal experience.  I have quite the opposite experience (both my mother and sister were/are extremely active politically), so I wouldn't make the same assumption; however, it may just be that the women *he knows* are uncharacteristically apolitical. If you see what I mean.

Yes, wouldn't making an assumption from what seems to be a subjective personal experience, as opposed to objective education, bias?

Written By: philbo on 12/07/07 at 12:35 pm

Yes, wouldn't making an assumption from what seems to be a subjective personal experience, as opposed to objective education, bias?

Yes, it is the sort of natural bias that we all have: we assume (usually subconsciously) that our sort of experiences are "normal".. At least Macphisto showed his working out (so to speak), in that he said "most of the women I know aren't interested in politics, therefore..." - he may well be 100% accurate about his experience, yet the extrapolation may (or may not be).

It would be possible, in theory, to do a breakdown of male/female posting for the whole board, and then again for just this section, and see whether he's right.  But I think that would be asking a bit much of Chucky, don't you think?

Written By: danootaandme on 12/07/07 at 12:36 pm

Yes, it is the sort of natural bias that we all have: we assume (usually subconsciously) that our sort of experiences are "normal".. At least Macphisto showed his working out (so to speak), in that he said "most of the women I know aren't interested in politics, therefore..." - he may well be 100% accurate about his experience, yet the extrapolation may (or may not be).

It would be possible, in theory, to do a breakdown of male/female posting for the whole board, and then again for just this section, and see whether he's right.  But I think that would be asking a bit much of Chucky, don't you think?

Way to much.  :)

Written By: Macphisto on 12/07/07 at 6:27 pm

Well yes...  I wasn't asserting that I am the last authority on this topic, I was just relating what I've experienced.

Believe me, I wish I knew more political women, but I can only expect so much from being in the middle of the Bible Belt.  Much of the female population over here is rather...  domesticated.  Women seem more interested in raising kids here than anything else.  I personally prefer intellectual women, but aside from the colleges, they're not easy to find among the general population here.

It's not that women are lacking in the ability to be intellectual, it's just that serious topics like politics tend to be a gentleman's club down here.  Certain areas of the country have a culture that discourages women from seeking out intellectual topics or careers.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/08/07 at 4:37 am

Well yes...  I wasn't asserting that I am the last authority on this topic, I was just relating what I've experienced.

Believe me, I wish I knew more political women, but I can only expect so much from being in the middle of the Bible Belt.  Much of the female population over here is rather...  domesticated.  Women seem more interested in raising kids here than anything else.  I personally prefer intellectual women, but aside from the colleges, they're not easy to find among the general population here.

It's not that women are lacking in the ability to be intellectual, it's just that serious topics like politics tend to be a gentleman's club down here.  Certain areas of the country have a culture that discourages women from seeking out intellectual topics or careers.

Granted, and I shudder at the thought.

Check for new replies or respond here...