» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: The Ron Paul Blimp

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/07/07 at 7:46 pm

http://www.ronpaulblimp.com/

http://www.ronpaulblimp.com/images/blimps/blimp01.jpg

A group of grassroots supporters, not associated whatsoever with the campaign, of republican presidential candidate Ron Paul are doing something that has never been done: a presidential blimp.

The group has raised more than the necessary 200,000 dollars needed to make the blimp fly.  The blimp is set to take flight on Monday, December 10, in Elizabeth City, North Carolina.  It will do a DC flyover on the same day.  Head up to New York and fly over Wallstreet, and then go to Boston by December 16th for the anniversary of the Boston tea party.  There will be a big Ron Paul rally on that date to coincide with the Tea Party"money-bomb", and the blimp with dump tea into Boston Harbor.  It will then spend the rest of the month in the first-in-the-nation-primary state of New Hampshire.

The blimp group, after being advised by it's lawyer, campaign finance foe and former FEC chairman Bradley Smith, is doing this all despite not having formed a PAC.  Smith found a loophole in McCain-Feingold: instead of accepting donations, it would set up a for-profit company and accept sponsorships.  Pretty clever.  The FEC will no-doubt look into if you can do that legally, but they're not going to do anything in time to stop the blimp from flying.

Politico: 'Ron Paul Blimp' is more than an ad campaign; it's a test of finance laws

Official Press Release via Reuters: Presidential Candidate Ron Paul Has a Blimp

Subject: Re: The Ron Paul Blimp

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/07/07 at 7:50 pm

:o  So much for the Goodyear Blimp.  As someone who has worked on campaigns I think that may be a bit much.  Or . . . maybe it's because Bill Richardson doesn't have one yet. ;D

Written By: Tia on 12/07/07 at 7:59 pm

talking about a "love revolution" may not be the best way to make inroads into the republican constituency. :o but i might be wrong. hats off to em, ron paul still scares me for some reasons but i like a lot of what he says as well.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/07/07 at 9:26 pm

talking about a "love revolution" may not be the best way to make inroads into the republican constituency. :o but i might be wrong. hats off to em, ron paul still scares me for some reasons but i like a lot of what he says as well.

I concur.

Things are so effed-up at this point, however, that I'm willing to give him a shot.  If this country is to survive at all, we must dismantle the military-industrial complex, reform our trade policies, get the hell out of Iraq, end the War on Drugs, and get the national debt under control.  Paul wants radically reduce the size of the federal government.  Well, our government is broken and the mainstream of both the Democratic and Republican parties is only offering more of the same.  Does Paul make me nervous?  Yes, but not nearly as nervous as clowns like Clinton and Huckabee. The idea of doing away with Social Security scares me, but proceeding the we are for another generation scares me a hell of a lot more.  Social Security will be meaningless if we don't have a country anymore.  Ron Paul is the only candidate with a voice who is saying this loud and clear. 

I think the border security issue is a haven for xenophobes and bigots, but by no means do I think it is meaningless.  Part of trade reform and reform of both domestic and foreign policy must include a sound border security policy, which we do not have. 

Written By: Red Ant on 12/07/07 at 9:45 pm

5k+ gets you 18 hours of ride time? Neato.

There's a lot of time left before the election. Ron Paul may yet pull it off.

Ant

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/07/07 at 10:03 pm

I concur.

Things are so effed-up at this point, however, that I'm willing to give him a shot.  If this country is to survive at all, we must dismantle the military-industrial complex, reform our trade policies, get the hell out of Iraq, end the War on Drugs, and get the national debt under control.  Paul wants radically reduce the size of the federal government.  Well, our government is broken and the mainstream of both the Democratic and Republican parties is only offering more of the same.  Does Paul make me nervous?  Yes, but not nearly as nervous as clowns like Clinton and Huckabee. The idea of doing away with Social Security scares me, but proceeding the we are for another generation scares me a hell of a lot more.  Social Security will be meaningless if we don't have a country anymore.  Ron Paul is the only candidate with a voice who is saying this loud and clear. 

I think the border security issue is a haven for xenophobes and bigots, but by no means do I think it is meaningless.  Part of trade reform and reform of both domestic and foreign policy must include a sound border security policy, which we do not have. 

Common ground, well mostly.

Why not go see the Ron Paul blimp and dump tea into Boston Harbor with the rest of the Paul supporters on December 16?  I wish I could be there.

Join us in Boston for a Ron Paul Tea Party!
http://www.teaparty07.com/images/dscf0162.jpg
Click here for details

http://www.teaparty07.com/images/ronpship_dees.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/07/07 at 10:22 pm

Looks like fun, but I've got prior obligations next Saturday Sunday.

I'm not an enthusiastic Ron Paul support; the fact that I support him at all testifies to how seriously our national deterioration has accelerated since Bush took office.  And I mean took office.

::)

Written By: Macphisto on 12/07/07 at 10:36 pm

This is so awesome...  I never expected so much of the Ron Paul support to come from my state of NC.  The blimp will be flying over Elizabeth City, and this company is based out of my old college town, Asheville.  ;D

Written By: Davester on 12/08/07 at 1:45 am

5k+ gets you 18 hours of ride time? Neato.

There's a lot of time left before the election. Ron Paul may yet pull it off.

Ant

It definately looks promising.  Ron Paul has a lot of support among disaffected voters...

His pledge to start recalling troops the moment he finishes taking the oath of office - something no other candidate will even discuss - will get him millions of votes... :)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/08/07 at 6:40 pm

Ron Paul is the frontrunner right now to win West Virginia.  West Virginia has a convention instead of a caucus or a primary.  The final delegate count heading into the state's convention:

Ron Paul

Mitt Romney

Fred Thompson

Mike Huckabee

Rudy Giuliani

John McCain

Duncan Hunter

Alan Keyes

Tom Tancredo

Uncommitted

SOURCE

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/10/07 at 2:17 am

Surprised to Romney ahead of Huckabee in WV.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/10/07 at 10:04 pm

Looks like fun, but I've got prior obligations next Saturday.

December 16 is a Sunday I believe.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/10/07 at 10:09 pm

Surprised to Romney ahead of Huckabee in WV.

Huckabee's surge came a little late.  He was really lagging behind Romney, Paul Thompson and Giuliani in the early delegate counts but he surged up late at the same time he started rising in the national polls.  He even passed Giuliani as one can see.  Huckabee likely won't win West Virginia, but there are 671 uncommitted delegates so who really knows?

Written By: Tia on 12/11/07 at 1:00 pm

just to play devil's advocate. personally i like biden. ron paul's still my favorite among the republicans but that aint sayin' much. i wish arlen specter or lincoln chafey was running :(

http://wwjv4.com/republicans/10-reasons-not-to-vote-for-ron-paul-159

SOME REASONS NOT TO VOTE FOR RON PAUL

SUMMER LUDWIG, WWJV4 - Ron Paul has sponsored legislation that would
repeal affirmative action, keep the IRS from investigating private
schools who may have used race as a factor in denying entrance, thus
losing their tax exempt status, would limit the scope of Brown versus
Board of Education, and would deny citizenship for those born in the
US if their parents are not citizens.

Ron Paul makes it very clear that one of his aims is to repeal Roe v.
Wade. He has also co sponsored 4 separate bills to "To provide that
human life shall be deemed to exist from conception."

He supports abolishing the Federal minimum wage, has twice introduced
legislation to repeal OSHA, or the Occupational Safety and Health Act
and would deal devastating blows to Social Security including
repealing the act that makes it mandatory for employees of
nonprofits, to make "coverage completely optional for both present
and future workers", and would "freeze benefit levels". He has also
twice sponsored legislation seeking to repeal the Davis-Bacon Act and
the Copeland Act which among other things provide that contractors
for the federal government must provide the prevailing wage and
prohibits corporate kick backs.

Written By: Macphisto on 12/13/07 at 12:11 am

I could probably come up with 1,000 reasons not to vote for Romney.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/13/07 at 9:20 am

just to play devil's advocate. personally i like biden. ron paul's still my favorite among the republicans but that aint sayin' much. i wish arlen specter or lincoln chafey was running :(

http://wwjv4.com/republicans/10-reasons-not-to-vote-for-ron-paul-159

SOME REASONS NOT TO VOTE FOR RON PAUL

SUMMER LUDWIG, WWJV4 - Ron Paul has sponsored legislation that would
repeal affirmative action, keep the IRS from investigating private
schools who may have used race as a factor in denying entrance, thus
losing their tax exempt status, would limit the scope of Brown versus
Board of Education, and would deny citizenship for those born in the
US if their parents are not citizens.

Ron Paul makes it very clear that one of his aims is to repeal Roe v.
Wade. He has also co sponsored 4 separate bills to "To provide that
human life shall be deemed to exist from conception."

He supports abolishing the Federal minimum wage, has twice introduced
legislation to repeal OSHA, or the Occupational Safety and Health Act
and would deal devastating blows to Social Security including
repealing the act that makes it mandatory for employees of
nonprofits, to make "coverage completely optional for both present
and future workers", and would "freeze benefit levels". He has also
twice sponsored legislation seeking to repeal the Davis-Bacon Act and
the Copeland Act which among other things provide that contractors
for the federal government must provide the prevailing wage and
prohibits corporate kick backs.

It smells like a regression to rigid paternalism.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/13/07 at 4:15 pm

Huckabee's surge came a little late. 

That's what Mrs. Huckabee said!
:D

Check for new replies or respond here...