» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: speech by the salt lake city mayor

Written By: Tia on 12/11/07 at 2:23 pm

it's really great.

http://www.slcgov.com/mayor/speeches/2007%20Speeches/102507octoberdemonstration.pdf

We raise our voices in unison to say to President Bush, to Vice President Cheney, to other members of the Bush Administration (past and present), to a majority of Congress, including Utah's entire congressional delegation, and to much of the mainstream media: "You have failed us miserably and we won't take it anymore."

While we had every reason to expect far more of you, you have been pompous, greedy, cruel, and incompetent as you have led this great nation to a moral, military, and national security abyss. You have breached trust with the American people in the most egregious ways. You have utterly failed in the performance of your jobs. You have undermined our Constitution, permitted the violation of the most fundamental treaty obligations, and betrayed the rule of law.

You have engaged in, or permitted, heinous human rights abuses of the sort never before countenanced in our nation's history as a matter of official policy. You have sent American men and women to kill and be killed on the basis of lies, on the basis of shifting justifications, without competent leadership, and without even a coherent plan for this monumental blunder. . .

I have drawn my line as a matter of simple personal morality: I cannot, and will not, support any candidate who has voted to fund the atrocities in Iraq. I cannot, and will not, support any candidate who will not commit to remove all US troops, as soon as possible, from Iraq. I cannot, and will not, support any candidate who has supported legislation that takes us one step closer to attacking Iran. I cannot, and will not, support any candidate who has not fought to stop the kidnapping, disappearances, and torture being carried on in our name.

Subject: Re: speech by the salt lake city mayor

Written By: La Roche on 12/11/07 at 2:27 pm

All the best people are called Rocky.

No exceptions here.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/11/07 at 6:17 pm

Where do I send my fan letter?  That was great!!! :)

Written By: McDonald on 12/11/07 at 6:41 pm

Wow. Two points for that guy. Ballsy.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/11/07 at 7:38 pm

Can he run instead of any one else on the Republican side?  or most of the Democrat side as well...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/11/07 at 8:21 pm

OK, so Massachusetts got the right-wing Republican Momon and Utah got the Bush-hating liberal Democrat.

It's an exchange program!
:D

Written By: Tia on 12/11/07 at 8:26 pm

salt lake city is a bastion of liberalism apparently.  :o

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j_6MZ2Kqaz4

keith olbermann and rocky! i'm filled with nonsexual manlove. i might wanna move to salt lake, i bet real estate is very affordable there.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/11/07 at 8:29 pm

keith olbermann and rocky! i'm filled with nonsexual manlove. i might wanna move to salt lake, i bet real estate is very affordable there.

I'm watching Keitho right now!  It makes my night when he calls Billo THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORRRRRLD!!!

Written By: Tia on 12/11/07 at 8:50 pm

i really like this dude. i seriously wish he WOULD run.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ePyuBH60wOg

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/11/07 at 9:26 pm

i really like this dude. i seriously wish he WOULD run.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ePyuBH60wOg

Fan mail heck, I wanna give that man a hug!!! 

Written By: Tia on 12/11/07 at 10:55 pm

Fan mail heck, I wanna give that man a hug!!! 
so i'm sayin'...

just buy the rights to this song

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EADM_Ak3GTg

and get a corndog slogan like "takin' back freedom!!!!!!!!"

and coast to victory on an anti-war message. dude, conservative america just wants their nascar and their buttrock, and who can blame em? i want that too. if you can take a liberal and wrap him up in cheesy pro-american imagery, dude, they will flock.

rocky vs. paul 2008! for christ's sake, make it interesting for once, people!

*sob*
\

Written By: Tia on 12/11/07 at 11:03 pm

DUDE!

i know my dream election lineup. ron paul and rocky both win the repub and dem nominations, repectively, and they both decide that they have to soften their image with their vice prez nominations. so ron paul takes on dennis kucinich as his vice presidential running mate, and rocky takes on john mccain as his.

i mean, come on. that would be a sweet race for everybody. i have NO idea who i'd vote for with a ticket like that, because it would all look so good!

but you and i both know we'll be forced to pick between hilary clinton and giuliani, ganster-dee and ganster-dum.  honestly it's a wonder half this nation hasn't been burned to the ground, these elections are such a warmed-over fraud.  ::)

jesus, i would LOVE to be friggin' represented. once. just once. for... a year. a month. something. i dont need a touchdown. gimme a field goal, a touchback, an extra point, a first down... something! the dolphins are having a better season than democracy is this season.

Written By: La Roche on 12/11/07 at 11:34 pm

DUDE!

i know my dream election lineup. ron paul and rocky both win the repub and dem nominations, repectively, and they both decide that they have to soften their image with their vice prez nominations. so ron paul takes on dennis kucinich as his vice presidential running mate, and rocky takes on john mccain as his.

i mean, come on. that would be a sweet race for everybody. i have NO idea who i'd vote for with a ticket like that, because it would all look so good!

but you and i both know we'll be forced to pick between hilary clinton and giuliani, ganster-dee and ganster-dum.  honestly it's a wonder half this nation hasn't been burned to the ground, these elections are such a warmed-over fraud.  ::)

jesus, i would LOVE to be friggin' represented. once. just once. for... a year. a month. something. i dont need a touchdown. gimme a field goal, a touchback, an extra point, a first down... something! the dolphins are having a better season than democracy is this season.

Call Harpers, you just got column inches dude!

Written By: Tia on 12/12/07 at 1:05 am

if you love this, you love america. it really is that simple.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=27J2N1TCzcY&feature=related

i feel bugs would vote dem. unless it was hillary.

WWBD?!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/12/07 at 11:57 pm

It's funny here, because most of the state HATES Rocky.  Salt Lake City proper, who elected him, is pretty liberal, but the rest of the state is die hard Republican, and they detest the man.  I think he rocks.

You can always camp out at my house!

Written By: Tia on 12/12/07 at 11:59 pm

It's funny here, because most of the state HATES Rocky.  Salt Lake City proper, who elected him, is pretty liberal, but the rest of the state is die hard Republican, and they detest the man.  I think he rocks.
kucinich i think is similar in ohio. he's mayor of cleveland? or cincinnati? anyway, his city is pretty liberal but the state is rather conservative and he's generally not the favored son in ohio.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/13/07 at 5:00 pm

kucinich i think is similar in ohio. he's mayor of cleveland? or cincinnati? anyway, his city is pretty liberal but the state is rather conservative and he's generally not the favored son in ohio.

U.S. State Rep from Ohio's 10th district, Cleveland and vicinity. 
He's the short, funny-looking dude with the hot wife half his age.  Maybe someday that's how they'll describe me too!
;)

BTW, Dennis Miller, the Joseph Goebbels of comedy, resents sharing the same first name, so he named his dog "Kucinich."  Maybe Kucinich would name his dog "Miller" if:
a. He watched Bill O'Reilly.
b. Gave a hell what Dennis Miller says.

Written By: Tia on 12/13/07 at 5:07 pm

U.S. State Rep from Ohio's 10th district, Cleveland and vicinity. 
He's the short, funny-looking dude with the hot wife half his age.  Maybe someday that's how they'll describe me too!
;)

BTW, Dennis Miller, the Joseph Goebbels of comedy, resents sharing the same first name, so he named his dog "Kucinich."  Maybe Kucinich would name his dog "Miller" if:
a. He watched Bill O'Reilly.
b. Gave a hell what Dennis Miller says.

dennis miller got microchipped. I saw a great clip of him in the 80s on his talk show hosting bill hicks, a great progressive comedian. He also used to slam Reagan a lot on SNL. Now he’s an insufferable, knuckle-dragging moron. Oh, well.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/15/07 at 5:30 pm

dennis miller got microchipped. I saw a great clip of him in the 80s on his talk show hosting bill hicks, a great progressive comedian. He also used to slam Reagan a lot on SNL. Now he’s an insufferable, knuckle-dragging moron. Oh, well.

Hannity and O'Reilly are knuckle-dragging morons.  Miller's just got AWGS (Angry White Guy Syndrome).  He always was an ass**le.  Now he's just a right-wing ass**le.  He also knows which side the bread is buttered on.  His schtick is still the same as it was 1987, the year he maxed out his comedic talents.  He could never compete for the same audience Jon Stewart or Bill Mahar has, so he hangs out at FOX and on right-wing radio where they think dopes like Rush Limbaugh make good jokes!
:D

Written By: saver on 12/18/07 at 9:20 pm

it's really great.

http://www.slcgov.com/mayor/speeches/2007%20Speeches/102507octoberdemonstration.pdf

We raise our voices in unison to say to President Bush, to Vice President Cheney, to other members of the Bush Administration (past and present), to a majority of Congress, including Utah's entire congressional delegation, and to much of the mainstream media: "You have failed us miserably and we won't take it anymore."

While we had every reason to expect far more of you, you have been pompous, greedy, cruel, and incompetent as you have led this great nation to a moral, military, and national security abyss. You have breached trust with the American people in the most egregious ways. You have utterly failed in the performance of your jobs. You have undermined our Constitution, permitted the violation of the most fundamental treaty obligations, and betrayed the rule of law.

You have engaged in, or permitted, heinous human rights abuses of the sort never before countenanced in our nation's history as a matter of official policy. You have sent American men and women to kill and be killed on the basis of lies, on the basis of shifting justifications, without competent leadership, and without even a coherent plan for this monumental blunder. . .

I have drawn my line as a matter of simple personal morality: I cannot, and will not, support any candidate who has voted to fund the atrocities in Iraq. I cannot, and will not, support any candidate who will not commit to remove all US troops, as soon as possible, from Iraq. I cannot, and will not, support any candidate who has supported legislation that takes us one step closer to attacking Iran. I cannot, and will not, support any candidate who has not fought to stop the kidnapping, disappearances, and torture being carried on in our name.

Sounds like a wimp who will wait until we get attacked first..then scream NOW lets' get 'em!

We have to consider, wait until? or Blow out the fire before it spreads...then again, who decides when the fire is too hot? 

Written By: La Roche on 12/18/07 at 9:33 pm

Sounds like a wimp who will wait until we get attacked first..then scream NOW lets' get 'em!

We have to consider, wait until? or Blow out the fire before it spreads...then again, who decides when the fire is too hot? 

Who decides where the fire is? How does one determine it exists? Why is it like that?

Written By: saver on 12/18/07 at 9:47 pm

Who decides where the fire is? How does one determine it exists? Why is it like that?

History of the ABOMB maybe?

Or other wars that were lost because someone didn't see the signs...

But then where will we find the 'intelligent' people to make the call?
(Isn't the world being ruled by 7 mega-rich guys calling the shots and elections etc)

Written By: La Roche on 12/18/07 at 9:56 pm

History of the ABOMB maybe?

Or other wars that were lost because someone didn't see the signs...

But then where will we find the 'intelligent' people to make the call?
(Isn't the world being ruled by 7 mega-rich guys calling the shots and elections etc)

Could you maybe translate that for me?

Wiseman committe? I buy it.

Written By: saver on 12/19/07 at 1:43 am

I'm talking about attack before the others have a chance to lift a finger.

Written By: Tia on 12/19/07 at 3:15 pm

what happens when you "blow" on a raging fire? it surges up. which is pretty much what's going on in the middle east right now.

ever hear of the expression "work smarter not harder"? i mean, thinking at this point that the war in iraq is making us safer is a complete joke. it's an excuse for conservatives to engage in revenge killing of arab muslims for 911 and it's obvious. it actually makes america a lot less safe but i just dont think they care, they're so blinded with lust for revenge.

Written By: La Roche on 12/19/07 at 4:01 pm

I'm talking about attack before the others have a chance to lift a finger.

So, you prevent war by engaging in it?

Written By: saver on 12/19/07 at 4:52 pm

So, you prevent war by engaging in it?

If you see a river running smoothly, you stand on the side and enjoy what it does naturally, then a little starts to creep up to the edge of the bank and you kind of give it a more critical look as it may climb over the bank and spoil your whole town, BUT THEN it creeps over the brim and what are you gonna do? Wait for it to flood the whole place before you start taking active measures of protection...

I'd be cheering for the ones who began to taking active measures against this possible future terror..thus 'preventative action' stopping a potential life threatening situation...

or would you sit and watch it keep rising saying..'it didn't do nothin yet, didn't do nothin yet, HOLY ****we're gonna drown!!!!!!!!!!!!DO SOMETHIN'...Uh..too late. :\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/19/07 at 8:43 pm

^Crummy analogy. You can't reason with the forces of nature.

Written By: saver on 12/20/07 at 2:30 am

^Crummy analogy. You can't reason with the forces of nature.

Ahhh, but I feel the forces of nature are equal to the forces of ones who believe they are the sole absolute religion in the world and will do anything(as those of that religion we speak of), will only be happy/settled when they ELIMINATE America...as stated in one particular war we are involved in, and we cannot..no matter which way you present it to them,change their course...ie...when they kill themselves while trying to impress their beliefs on us, they will be greeted by virgins etc..

force of nature/force of beliefs at least we can change,(redirect) the force of nature...as we harness water,electricity, to work in OUR favor for the good of our society and not have to keep one eye open while we sleep.

to throw out another view..:kill or be killed which would you prefer...you know darn well, something will happen to this country..it's not if but when. 

Written By: Tia on 12/20/07 at 6:34 am

probably something will happen in this country, as just about every western country has had to learn to deal with some degree of domestic terrorism. but in, say, the UK they dont take this apocalyptic perspective on it. i mean, just barely submerged in the rhetoric of the neocons is this idea that the muslims are actually going to take over the united states. i'm still not clear exactly how this is supposed to happen. so please, saver, or anyone who supports the war ... please propose an actual practical scenario through which islamic extremists -- who have to hijack planes or strap bombs to donkeys because they have virtually no industrial base whatsoever with which to project conventional military force -- are actually going to conquer america? i have no idea how such a thing would be done and fear it not at all. i have no fear of an islamic conquest of america, i think the idea is prespammersite.

although if the terrorists manage to fire off a nuclear weapon in an american city -- which also is much harder to do than the neocons would have us believe -- that might lead to the destruction of the planet as i imagine the reprisal attack would probably involve the complete nuclear annihilation of the middle east and one thing would lead to another, cold war-style. although the joke would be on us in that case, if we allowed some apocalyptic religious cult (which is basically what islamic fundamentalism is, ditto christian fundamentalism) lead to the annihilation of the western world.

Written By: SemperYoda on 01/03/08 at 12:20 am

I actually applaud Rocky Anderson.  His goals for the city where achieved and it is doing well.  Since when is a person a whimp when they are trying to make a difference inside our country, rather than abroad?

I think a war on terrorism is doing more harm to us than it is helping.  In Vietnam, we were fighting a war in which say in a day 10 U.S. soldiers died and 100 of the VC died.  From that aspect it looks like we were winning, but we really didn't gain any advantage from it.  The same kind of thing with this war.  How much money are we going to spend abroad killing a whole bunch of terrorists.  They are not worried with blowing themselves up.  We kill them and they also blow themselves up.  I dont think they are going to run out of martyrs anytime soon.  So, they kill a few of our soldiers here, a few there.  And we gain nothing from it.   

We might have had a chance to help our efforts alot in Afghanistan, but we blew the opportunity so we could go to Iraq and feel big and bad again.  There are still people who think that Saddam needed to be taken out cause he was an immediate threat and that our major motivation was to liberate Iraqi's?  So, instead of fighting the war on terror we thought we were fighting, we created a whole new fiasco to add to the dish.  If we succeed in Iraq, will that just give them more excuse to continue what they are doing?  I just dont think they looked at the whole picture, including how to coordinate the war effort and reconstruction in the first place. 

Are we really being whimps when we decide to put more emphasis on making America safe?  Why does it have to be taking the fight to them that makes people feel secure?   

Check for new replies or respond here...