» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Person of the Year 2007: Vladimir Putin...

Written By: Davester on 12/31/07 at 12:38 am

Time's man of the year has always been quirky even before quirky was fashionable.  The resurgence of the Russians is welcome given what the US has done with its autocracy...

And to think that we all welcomed the end of the Cold War.  How foolish and optimistic we were to think that it would bring in an era of co-operation and peace...

Person of the Year

Catwoman will be pleased to know that J.K. Rowling was a runner-up... :)

saver will be pleased to know that his buddy Albert Arnold Jr. was a runner-up...

Subject: Re: Person of the Year 2007: Vladimir Putin...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/31/07 at 12:59 am

Dumb choice.  I dunno who it should be.  I just know it shouldn't be Putin.
::)

Written By: Davester on 12/31/07 at 1:14 am

Dumb choice.  I dunno who it should be.  I just know it shouldn't be Putin.
::)

Give 'em enough of the green stuff, it could be my mug gracing the cover... ;D

Written By: McDonald on 12/31/07 at 1:24 am

Dude, Putin is a KGB old boy, and he runs his cabinet and country as such. He's also creepy if you ask me.

http://www.informationliberation.com/files/putin_nikita.jpg

Weirdo...

Written By: Davester on 12/31/07 at 12:45 pm

Dude, Putin is a KGB old boy, and he runs his cabinet and country as such. He's also creepy if you ask me.

http://www.illuminati-news.com/graphics/06-07/070806/c/PutinPedophile.bmp

Weirdo...

I wonder what's up with that...  ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/31/07 at 12:54 pm

I wonder what's up with that...  ???

I hate when that happens!

Written By: Davester on 12/31/07 at 1:00 pm

I hate when that happens!

Yeah.  It happens to me all the time... :-[

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/31/07 at 1:07 pm

Gore should've been person of the year!

He had 'An Inconvient Truth' in his hands and he has as much money as the other guys runing Washington! Maybe more.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/31/07 at 1:14 pm

I was watching the Bill O show with Laura Ingram hosting (since Bill is on vacation). She was talking to someone-can't remember who-saying that they thought it should have been Gen. Petraeus.  They don't seem to GET Time's Person of the Year. They also have to remember that Hitler even made Person of the Year once. Personally, I think it should have gone to Al Gore.

As for JK Rowling-well at least one of her characters got it.  :D ;D ;D ;D

http://belomor.pisem.net/pic/putin&dobby.jpg

Cat

Written By: Davester on 12/31/07 at 1:16 pm

As for JK Rowling-well at least one of her characters got it.  :D ;D ;D ;D

http://belomor.pisem.net/pic/putin&dobby.jpg

Cat

That's so uncanny it had to be intentional...

Written By: Macphisto on 12/31/07 at 7:35 pm

http://www.informationliberation.com/files/putin_nikita.jpg

Weirdo...

He's impersonating Mark Foley.  Nah seriously, the story behind this is that Putin was out doing some PR thing, when a kid who apparently really admired him started talking to him about his admiration for Putin.  From what I can tell, this kissing the belly thing is a Russian custom, so even though it looks really pervy to us, it's apparently normal over there.

I'm guessing it might be our equivalent of giving someone a noogie.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/31/07 at 7:37 pm

I'll agree with Al Gore.

Written By: Davester on 12/31/07 at 8:56 pm

He's impersonating Mark Foley.  Nah seriously, the story behind this is that Putin was out doing some PR thing, when a kid who apparently really admired him started talking to him about his admiration for Putin.  From what I can tell, this kissing the belly thing is a Russian custom, so even though it looks really pervy to us, it's apparently normal over there.

Okay, I might have figured it was a Russian custom...

Written By: McDonald on 01/01/08 at 1:46 pm

Well that makes it even more confusing, because he took a lot of flak about this in Russia. I think he even had to explain himself after that.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/02/08 at 3:37 am

I was watching the Bill O show with Laura Ingram hosting (since Bill is on vacation). She was talking to someone-can't remember who-saying that they thought it should have been Gen. Petraeus.  They don't seem to GET Time's Person of the Year. They also have to remember that Hitler even made Person of the Year once. Personally, I think it should have gone to Al Gore.

Karma for getting the idea of POTY.  It's not an endorsement.  Like it or not, Adolf earned it.  And I'll respectfully disagree with you on Gore -- when the Dems take the Presidency, he can get POTY whenever they implement some sort of green agenda.  Putin earned it in 2007.  The KGB's back in charge again, and judging from the changes in the USA post-9/11, has arguably won the Cold War.

Written By: Davester on 01/02/08 at 5:59 am

Karma for getting the idea of POTY.  It's not an endorsement.  Like it or not, Adolf earned it.  And I'll respectfully disagree with you on Gore -- when the Dems take the Presidency, he can get POTY whenever they implement some sort of green agenda.  Putin earned it in 2007.  The KGB's back in charge again, and judging from the changes in the USA post-9/11, has arguably won the Cold War.

Good times are returning, I say...

Elections are abolished and the air is free and full with freedom and meteors.  There is magic and this particular thread makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.  How I've longed for a return to Cold War paranoia, duck and cover and the possibility of alien invasions...

Makes a person wonder how many believe Russia is a poor dying country or realize exactly what Putin is capable of...

In Soviet Russia, Person of Year chooses you..!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/02/08 at 2:53 pm

I'm not saying Putin is a BAD choice, I think Gore would have been just a bit of a better choice, because he has been in the news A LOT in 2007-especially because of his Nobel Prize. Putin has also been in the news a lot, too. 

BTW, right back at ya with the karma.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...