» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Woman who attempted killing Gerald Ford released...is that fair?

Written By: saver on 12/31/07 at 7:48 pm

Todays news was how they released this person...guess no one minds huh?

The woman was allowed to start appeals for released after serving 10 years..she claimed she was 'BLINDED' by her radical influences/tendencies feeling there was a war against the left!

Hmmm...when is the 'death penalty' to be carried out? Only if you kill someone? Or try to? Or injure someone while trying?
This needs a good addressing.

How many times have we heard attempted murderers who were caught or did the deed say: I WAS NOT IN MY RIGHT MIND, I WAS BLINDED BY(FILL IN THE BLANK-LOVE, RAGE,ETC..)

If you were blind by(?) many sane people were always around to lead you away from the feelings, so you had a chance at least...

What dies the messageboard crowd think?   

Subject: Re: Woman who attempted killing Gerald Ford released...is that fair?

Written By: Macphisto on 12/31/07 at 7:50 pm

My answer is...  let's see if they are in their right mind when a bullet goes through it....  If we're going to have the death penalty, it should be the Chinese method.

Written By: Red Ant on 12/31/07 at 8:21 pm

If we're going to have the death penalty, it should be the Chinese method.

Drowning their unwanted babies in the Ganges? Oh, the other method... shoot the convicted in the head and mail the cost of the ammo to his family.  ;)

~~

Attempted murder is not a capital or life-long offense (usually), and seeing that Gerald Ford is now dead, maybe that's one of the reasons they released her.

I found the article:

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7009583543

Why does the cynic in me think that the state decided to release her because of her age and that it would cost a ton of money to keep her in prison?

"Ah, she might still be dangerous, but she's old and, hell, Ford's dead... let someone else take care of her until she dies".

saver, death penalty cases, in states that allow it, are pretty clear cut:

~premeditated murder
~death in the comission of armed robbery
~death in the comission of kidnapping
~murder of a police officer
~murder for hire
~listening to Soulja Boy

From Wikipedia:

"There is currently only one death row inmate convicted of any crime other than murder — Patrick O. Kennedy in Louisiana, who was sentenced to death for the aggravated rape of his then eight year old stepdaughter."

Attempted murder to me means you are still at heart a murderer, only a sucky, failed one. There should be a additional penalty for incompetency.

Ant

Written By: Davester on 12/31/07 at 8:55 pm

I still need to read up on the story, but if she was released according to the law then I'd say it was fair...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/31/07 at 8:57 pm

It could be worse they could have released Squeaky.  That was done over 20 years ago, and he was not harmed.  I've been to some political events were some people threaten to beat up or kill a politician.  This doesn't excuse her actions any in the least.  Coincidentally if you want the death penalty for her better make it the same for Hinkley.  (Although she has some remorse, Hinkley's too much of an egomaniac to have remorse.)

Written By: Davester on 12/31/07 at 8:58 pm

~listening to Soulja Boy

Ant

Heh, you said listening to Soulja Boy... ;D

Written By: Macphisto on 12/31/07 at 9:34 pm

Drowning their unwanted babies in the Ganges?

No, that would be Bangladesh, but drowning them in the Yellow River would be the Chinese method...  lol  ;)

Written By: Red Ant on 12/31/07 at 9:49 pm

No, that would be Bangladesh, but drowning them in the Yellow River would be the Chinese method...  lol  ;)

Oops! I so suck at geography.

Heh, you said listening to Soulja Boy... ;D

I must have subconciously slipped that in. NOT!

Ant

Written By: danootaandme on 12/31/07 at 11:09 pm

Let's be serious.  The reason she was let out is that she is in her 70s and they don't want to be saddled with the geriatric bills.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/01/08 at 12:34 am

Let's be serious.  The reason she was let out is that she is in her 70s and they don't want to be saddled with the geriatric bills.

I guess they don't have nursing homes for geriatric inmates, do they?

Written By: McDonald on 01/01/08 at 4:38 am

Dude, she's a 77 year old woman. What's she going to do? Let her free and leave her alone.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/01/08 at 6:47 am

www.nurseweek.com/features/99-7/prison.html

nurseweek.com  

By Chris Schreiber
July 19, 1999

The prison population is growing at a record pace—over 7 percent annually—but for the first time, it’s graying even faster. The Department of Justice estimates that by the end of next year the U.S. prison population will exceed 2 million. And like society at large, prisoners are getting older, sicker, and more costly to care for.

“We are seeing more and more elderly prisoners, and it’s going to extend out for the foreseeable future,” said Rebecca Craig, MPA, RN, past president of the American Correctional Health Services Association. “We are going to see entire prisons getting licensed as acute care settings.”

Still, many experts say U.S. prisons aren’t ready to handle large numbers of elderly prisoners. “There is a crisis in the making. The national prison population is graying at an unprecedented rate, and the prison system is simply not prepared to deal with gerontological disease and geriatric care,” said Jonathan Turley, a law professor at The George Washington University in Washington, D.C., and the founder of Project for Older Prisoners (POPS), an advocacy group for elderly inmates. “The geriatric prison population has very specialized needs that most facilities are very poorly suited to handle. The result is that most gerontological problems go untreated until they are chronic.”

Many problems

Elderly inmates pose a variety of problems for correctional facilities, not the least of which is the inflated cost of health care. The Texas Criminal Justice Policy Council found that the cost of medical care for the general prison population in 1997 was $5.23 per offender. For elderly inmates, the figure was $14.50, nearly three times as much.

That’s not all. Because age-related health problems usually occur earlier in life for prisoners, inmates are considered “elderly” at age 55, which is 10 years before they would receive that distinction outside prison.

“This is a population in general that comes in with a very high level of need, and it only increases as they get older,” said Allen Sapp, assistant director of Texas Correctional Managed Health Care, which handles health care for the state’s 150,000 prisoners at 110 prisons.

Written By: Macphisto on 01/01/08 at 9:40 am

This is why you gotta get rid of them before they get old.  Bullet + head = problem solved

Written By: Davester on 01/01/08 at 9:51 am

This is why you gotta get rid of them before they get old.  Bullet + head = problem solved

Is that any way to talk about your president? *tsk* *tsk* *tsk*...

Written By: Macphisto on 01/01/08 at 10:09 am

Is that any way to talk about your president? *tsk* *tsk* *tsk*...

LOL...  I like it...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/01/08 at 1:19 pm

Dude, she's a 77 year old woman. What's she going to do? Let her free and leave her alone.

Well, she could try to gum someone to death. How about hit them over the head with her cane or her walker.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 01/01/08 at 1:48 pm

She was a bit nutsy anyway, and if she had gone to trial instead of copping a plea she probably would have made out a bit better than she did.  At least she did her time, not like John Hinckley Jr, whose oil rich, supporters of Reagan, parents were able to wangle(pay for) a finding of insanity and now he even gets to go home on "visits". 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/01/08 at 5:14 pm

She was a bit nutsy anyway, and if she had gone to trial instead of copping a plea she probably would have made out a bit better than she did.  At least she did her time, not like John Hinckley Jr, whose oil rich, supporters of Reagan, parents were able to wangle(pay for) a finding of insanity and now he even gets to go home on "visits". 

I agree, she has done her time.  Not only that she is genuinely remorseful.  Hinckley is still the same way the day he shot Reagan.  I wonder how much an insanity plea is?  Coincidentally he's still obsessed with Jodi Foster.  Remember he shot Reagan and Brady to impress her.

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/01/08 at 7:10 pm

It could be worse they could have released Squeaky.  That was done over 20 years ago, and he was not harmed.  I've been to some political events were some people threaten to beat up or kill a politician.  This doesn't excuse her actions any in the least.  Coincidentally if you want the death penalty for her better make it the same for Hinkley.  (Although she has some remorse, Hinkley's too much of an egomaniac to have remorse.)

Bush was almost blown-up three years ago. (I'm not kidding.) And in a former Soviet country as well. http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/05/11/bush.georgia/

And don't forget...the Patriot Act is also a global protection. Germany had to have all their internet sites go down because of terrorist threats.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/01/08 at 9:01 pm

It could be worse they could have released Squeaky. 

Oh no, no, not Squeaky.  She's still loyal to Manson after nearly 40 years.  She actually did escape from prison in W. VA. in 1987 to go and be with Manson who was allegedly dying of cancer.  No such luck.  I mean, Charlie is still alive!  Squeaky was the kinda gal crafty enough to escape from prison, too scatterbrained to stay ahead of authorities.  She was busted in two days on Christmas day! Next time Squeaky gets out of state custody, she'll be in a pine overcoat!

I'm sure Sarah Jane Moore is now a harmless elderly woman chastened by 32 years in the joint.  However, on principle, she should remain in custody the rest of her natural life.  If you attempt to assassinate the presidenty, you shouldn't ever be let out.  Same goes for John Hinckley, the poor little rich boy.  What's this B.S. about furloughs for Hinckley?  (or hinckloughs for Furley?)  The crackhead in held upt the 7-11 and gunned down the clerks won't get considered for unsupervised back home to his family even if he's a model prisoner for 25 years!  Hinckley came within a centimeter of killing President Ronald Reagan!  Not that Hinckley's coming from a rich Texas oil family that contributed big bucks to George H.W. Bush's 1980 presidential compaign had anything to do with anything....
::)

Check for new replies or respond here...