» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Don't be so quick to speak for our Soldiers

Written By: Tam on 01/05/08 at 12:25 am

I was forwarded this from a friend.

http://www.youtube.com/v/5uk-T46soz8&rel=1&border=1

It will fill your screen.....

Thoughts?

Subject: Re: Don't be so quick to speak for our Soldiers

Written By: Dagwood on 01/05/08 at 12:36 am

Very well spoken.  It's nice to hear a soldiers point of view, all we do hear are politicians takes on what may be the opinions of those actually fighting.

Written By: Tam on 01/05/08 at 12:39 am

Very well spoken.  It's nice to hear a soldiers point of view, all we do hear are politicians takes on what may be the opinions of those actually fighting.

I agree with you. No matter who a person favors for the elections, you can't deny that this soldier has got it right. (IMO)

Written By: Davester on 01/05/08 at 12:55 am

Bravo soldier.  I wonder to what extent that sentiment is shared among our armed forces...

As for myself, the primary reason for supporting Paul, above all other things, was to bring our boys and girls home without delay...

Honor?  This soldier is right.  Honor is integrity in the face of loss...

Written By: Tia on 01/05/08 at 6:47 am

wow, i so agree with this guy. (well, except for one thing -- he says the people the US military is fighting in iraq are soldiers fighting justifiably for their country, and a lot of them are, but a lot of them also actually do seem to be monsters. as do some on the US side, it's a mix of both on both sides...)

i'm very encouraged if it's true the military is coming over to ron paul. if the neocons and the evangelists and war profiteers lose the support of the enlisted guys in iraq they've pretty much got nothing left.

Written By: Tam on 01/05/08 at 11:50 am

i'm very encouraged if it's true the military is coming over to ron paul. if the neocons and the evangelists and war profiteers lose the support of the enlisted guys in iraq they've pretty much got nothing left.

That is of course if while they are over there, they are in fact able to vote.
What? You ask?

Voting by proxy works - if the soldiers get their proxy cards on time.... last election, most of them got their cards in December or January.... too late!

Written By: Tia on 01/05/08 at 11:55 am

That is of course if while they are over there, they are in fact able to vote.
What? You ask?

Voting by proxy works - if the soldiers get their proxy cards on time.... last election, most of them got their cards in December or January.... too late!
true, but even beyond their literal vote the perceived opinion of the troops carries a lot of weight in the general public as well.

Written By: SemperYoda on 01/05/08 at 2:04 pm

The soldier in this video brought up a question that I have always asked from the start.  Why is the Iraqi people's freedom so important, when we care nothing about the genocide and fighting in Africa or other parts of the world?  Sure it would be nice to see the Iraqi people govern themselves and be free.  However, this is not the reason we went into Iraq anyway.   

Blackwater is the enemy over there.  Mercs dont work because they dont fight for a cause, they fight for money in their own pocket.  The whole reason we haven't had a draft is not cause the President cares, but because of the hired mercs.  I definitely am tired of this neocon propaganda speaking for the troops. 

Was it on this site where I saw a link to a youtube video with O'Reilly talking to an ex soldier?  I dont know where I got it from.  Anway, he basically started interupting and badmouthing the soldier cause he was speaking out against the war and in a way, favors the choice of the Seattle school to try to get rid of military recruiters on school grounds.  They wave the flag and support the troops, but when there are those that actually go against what they believe, they are sh!t on.  Of course, im sure there are many who are gung ho and think we are doing the right thing.  The thing is, we hardly ever get to hear their side.  It is always a politician or media member who comes back to let us know how they think.  Oh ya, most the troops I spoke to are proud of us being over there.  They think we are doing the right thing.  Something along those lines anyway.  Now they are blaming all of us who are against the war that we refuse to accept that the "Surge" is working.  So it may, who cares?  It's still iffy if the grand plan will work.  Is it alright for more troops to die for this cause?  And what arrogance we have to turn their world upside down, then to badmouth them because they can't get a Democracy to work.  We have a hard time of that ourselves sometimes. 

The GOP candidates all gang up on Ron Paul, but in reality, pretty much the majority of what he is saying about our foreign policy is spot on I think.  For this nation to admit it is wrong is just too hard on them.  A strong nation is one that will admit its mistakes and move forward.  Its kind of like the Japanese in WWII.  Honor over Surrender.  We chose honor over leaving because we want to save face, but at what cost?     

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/05/08 at 5:34 pm

I tried to watch it-get half way through it and then it just stopped.  :-\\  I will try again tomorrow and see what happens.

Cat

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/06/08 at 12:36 am

I think he ran out of time at the end or else he would have said more stuff.  I like this guy.

Written By: Tam on 01/07/08 at 1:18 am

He did run out of time! And just when he was really starting to get riled up!

I will readd the link in a few days - just making sure it wasn't my link that jacked up the site ;)

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/07/08 at 10:26 am

I never got to see it. :(

In my state, they are sending a lot of troops to Iraq. I wish them well, but I wish that they come back home safely.

Written By: Tam on 01/07/08 at 10:50 am

I never got to see it. :(

In my state, they are sending a lot of troops to Iraq. I wish them well, but I wish that they come back home safely.

The link has been added again!!!
Enjoy

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/07/08 at 1:26 pm

It is saying that the video is no longer available.

Written By: Tam on 01/07/08 at 3:08 pm

Hmm... I just clicked the link and it worked fine.... ???

Maybe try refreshing the page? I dunno :-[

Written By: Henk on 01/07/08 at 3:24 pm

Hmm... I just clicked the link and it worked fine.... ???

Maybe try refreshing the page? I dunno :-[

The link works alright, but I can't get the video running either.

Written By: Tam on 01/07/08 at 4:38 pm

I see what you guys mean now.
Sorry - I will see if I can find it somewhere else for y'all!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/07/08 at 4:47 pm

I see what you guys mean now.
Sorry - I will see if I can find it somewhere else for y'all!

I hope you can. For the last two days, I have been trying to download it. It will get about half way or so and then it would  just stop. The second day got further than the first but still didn't go all the way. Now, like everyone else, it says no longer available. I would LOVE to hear what this guy has to say.

Cat

Written By: Tam on 01/07/08 at 4:55 pm

Well, how's this for censorship?

I searched everywhere in youtube and cannot find this video. It has conveniently been removed.

I will contact the friend who sent it to me and see if together we can come up with it.

I apologize for this.

I am sure peeps who have seen it can repat for the most part what this soldier was trying to say!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/07/08 at 8:13 pm

Well, how's this for censorship?

I searched everywhere in youtube and cannot find this video. It has conveniently been removed.

I will contact the friend who sent it to me and see if together we can come up with it.

Lame!  He was cool too.  Hope he posts it again.

I apologize for this.

I am sure peeps who have seen it can repat for the most part what this soldier was trying to say!

Politicians suck, but Ron Paul is cool :)

Well, he said more than that, but I simplified it.

Written By: Tam on 01/07/08 at 9:09 pm

The debate was about Honor and the soldiers leaving Iraq with Honor - this soldier got so pissed that he went off about how it isn't honorable to go into a country and take over with contracts and having the soldiers there to help bring in more money for the contracts and filling the pockets of 'some' politicans and their friends family etc. He blew a gasket! Loved every part of it.

Written By: Tia on 01/08/08 at 10:57 am

that's weird the video was removed. do you think he might have still been active duty and so isn't allowed to criticize policy?

Written By: Tam on 01/08/08 at 11:37 am

Who knows?

It's a shame though because no matter who anyone supports in the political race - everyone seemed to be agreeing with this Soldier 100%

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/08/08 at 1:41 pm

Who knows?

It's a shame though because no matter who anyone supports in the political race - everyone seemed to be agreeing with this Soldier 100%

Expect some of the candidates.  ::)  That shows that some of the those people don't have a clue.

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/15/08 at 9:14 am

that's weird the video was removed. do you think he might have still been active duty and so isn't allowed to criticize policy?

Three Words...V of Doom.

Written By: Tia on 01/24/08 at 3:12 pm

thought you might get a kick out of this, tam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3sxop1-PkI&feature=related

playing soccer with iraqi kids. i dunno why i like it so much.

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/24/08 at 3:32 pm

I know that Bush will not be liked for awhile, but some things such as stabilization in Iraq is there. But there's still many who don't want that to happen.

And I'll admit...I don't like this war much anymore.

Written By: Tam on 01/24/08 at 11:20 pm

Love it!!
It is so rare to find anything positive anymore!
Of course, news wouldnt be news if it was all warm fuzzy things now would it be? ;)

Written By: Tia on 01/24/08 at 11:45 pm

Love it!!
It is so rare to find anything positive anymore!
Of course, news wouldnt be news if it was all warm fuzzy things now would it be? ;)
notice they have a different style, the kids is more quick and around the feet, the soldier's is more up in the knees and "globetrotter"-y, he does all these tricks around the back and whatnot.

they're talking to each other through soccer, it's so cool.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/29/08 at 12:18 am

I have never been for the war, however I am for the soldiers.  I've talked to my cousin who is about ready to do her third tour of Iraq.  She feels the democrats have abandon the military.  Funny thing about that video of the soccer games, she tells the story of how she became quite fond of a few Iraqi citizen and hated to leave them.

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/29/08 at 3:03 pm

I have never been for the war, however I am for the soldiers.  I've talked to my cousin who is about ready to do her third tour of Iraq.  She feels the democrats have abandon the military.  Funny thing about that video of the soccer games, she tells the story of how she became quite fond of a few Iraqi citizen and hated to leave them.

In 2003, I felt like this with the war. ;)

Five years later, It's more like this.  8-P

I was never really 100% gung-ho for this war. And I hope Iraq and the U.S. could get our heads out of our asses and start resolving something.

Written By: Tia on 01/29/08 at 3:12 pm

In 2003, I felt like this with the war. ;)

Five years later, It's more like this.  8-P

I was never really 100% gung-ho for this war. And I hope Iraq and the U.S. could get our heads out of our asses and start resolving something.
at this juncture, it looks like Iraq’s job is to try and stay intact as a country. And the USA’s problem is something similar, the war’s placed the integrity of both countries at great risk. But I’m not aware of any quarrel the US had with Iraq prior to the war, other than that they’re sitting on lots of crude. But if the quarrel was with Hussein – well, he’s gone now, isn’t he?

Now, as for whether Iraqis now have a quarrel against the US, that’s a different story entirely. The most charitable explanation for why the administration went to war against Iraq is that they needed a staging area to fight against what it’s calling “al qaeda.” And Iraq was there and easy, so the administration just decided to up and invade it so they could look like they were fighting the terrorists somewhere. As far as explanations for the war, that’s about the most charitable one that’s in any way plausible. They get worse from there. I wouldn’t blame Iraqis for detesting America for generations to come, and they probably will. If I were in their shoes there would be no limit to my anger.

Written By: Paul on 01/29/08 at 3:15 pm

The debate was about Honor and the soldiers leaving Iraq with Honor - this soldier got so pissed that he went off about how it isn't honorable to go into a country and take over with contracts and having the soldiers there to help bring in more money for the contracts and filling the pockets of 'some' politicans and their friends family etc. He blew a gasket! Loved every part of it.

How to end a war rather sharpish...

Round up the friends and family of said politicians and post 'em to the front line...

Conflict over within minutes!

Check for new replies or respond here...