» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Man kills and cooks girlfriend in the name of Atheism.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/08/08 at 7:03 pm

Nah, not really it was in the name of God.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/01/08/texas.slaying.ap/index.html?iref=werecommend

stole the headline idea from http://reddit.com

Subject: Re: Man kills and cooks girlfriend in the name of Atheism.

Written By: McDonald on 01/08/08 at 7:46 pm

I busted a gut laughing at the way you posted that.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/08/08 at 8:09 pm

I busted a gut laughing at the way you posted that.

it's such shameless troll baiting on my part, I feel bad doing it...

but not that bad

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/08/08 at 8:10 pm

Nah, not really it was in the name of God.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/01/08/texas.slaying.ap/index.html?iref=werecommend

stole the headline idea from http://reddit.com

Which part of the Bible is this now?

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/08/08 at 8:14 pm

Which part of the Bible is this now?

the same part that condemns the gays I think

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/08/08 at 8:15 pm

Ah yes, Bullcrap 3:39..."...and ye shall eat thy girlfriend's thighs whilst thou denounce thy gay neighbors..."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/08/08 at 8:25 pm

OMG!  Frikkin' horrible!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/smhair1.gif

I know, I'll say the devil made me do it!  Nah, too unoriginal...

Described him as "unflappibly happy," eh?

They're coming to take me away ha ha ho ho hee hee to the funny farm....

My guess is an insanity plea isn't going to cut any ice and, I hate to phrase it as such, but he's black and he's in Texas, so you can count on him going down for the hot shot!

Written By: Macphisto on 01/09/08 at 12:02 am

He very thoroughly misinterpreted God telling him to "serve his fellow humans."

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/09/08 at 2:13 am

He very thoroughly misinterpreted God telling him to "serve his fellow humans."

...the Bible... was a cookbook?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/09/08 at 3:05 am

You stole my comeback, Twilight Zone boy!

Written By: saver on 01/09/08 at 5:09 pm

rumor has it while eating he sang:'Yummy,Yummy,Yummy,I've got love in my tummy...' 8-P

Written By: snozberries on 01/09/08 at 9:08 pm

karma....as soon as I stop laughing!  ;D

There's some gross joke about misunderstanding the concept of eating one's girlfriend but I will pass and ask....why does God use the craziest people to spread His word the loudest???  :-\\

Written By: Red Ant on 01/09/08 at 10:45 pm

why does God use the craziest people to spread His word the loudest???  :-\\

There's a joke about that as well, but I'll pass...

Ant

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/10/08 at 2:26 pm

Yep, Just because he was a Christian- THAT's why he was insane. Because I'll bet there aren't ANY insane atheists roaming this earth.. ::).

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/10/08 at 2:41 pm

Yep, Just because he was a Christian- THAT's why he was insane. Because I'll bet there aren't ANY insane atheists roaming this earth.. ::).

when one is sick enough to make the news, feel free to let us know

Written By: Tia on 01/10/08 at 2:52 pm

Someone, I believe it’s the ever-amusing Christopher hitchens, has an ongoing challenge for anyone to cite an instance in which someone has committed any violent crime in the interest of atheism. I haven’t seen one yet, although I’m sure there’s something out there. But yeah, the point’s a good one – people do screwed up things in the name of religion.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/10/08 at 8:47 pm

when one is sick enough to make the news, feel free to let us know

He IS the only person to ever be on the news for doing something sick, I forgot. You're COMPLETELY right!  ::)

Written By: Tia on 01/10/08 at 8:57 pm

He IS the only person to ever be on the news for doing something sick, I forgot. You're COMPLETELY right!  ::)
i think he meant, when has an atheist ever gone on a killing spree for his or her belief in atheism? people commit violent acts in the name of religion pretty often, but violent crusaders are tough to find in the secular world.

i'd hasten to add, though, that most people of faith are perfectly generous, peaceful individuals. i think the question of religion's connection to violence does sincerely need to be looked at, but this needs to be balanced with the observation that martin luther king, ghandi and the quakers are also deeply religious people. yanno?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/10/08 at 9:00 pm

Awww isn't anyone going to use Kierkegaard's "Leap of Faith" argument?  The guy wasn't crazy . . . (trails off mumbling something about how it would never hold up in court)

Written By: Tia on 01/10/08 at 9:03 pm

Awww isn't anyone going to use Kierkegaard's "Leap of Faith" argument?  The guy wasn't crazy . . . (trails off mumbling something about how it would never hold up in court)
dammit, now i have to go back to wikipedia again.  :P i was just looking up the magna carta and the norman invasion of 1066.

i remember someone talking about kierkegaard's whatsit thing once, i think it was my dad, he's a big philosophy nerd. it was... um, something about staring into a pit or something, yeah?

Written By: Red Ant on 01/10/08 at 9:09 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=30410.msg1501460#msg1501460

Uh, nobody said he was a Christian and afaik more than just Christians refer to God as "God".

It really doesn't matter if this guy was Captain Christian or Awesome Atheist or somewhere in between, nor if he's sane or insane - it's completely irrelevant. His actions speak for themselves.

It does make me wonder though why people try to pull the "God told me so" card only when they do things truly effed up. Why doesn't God tell someone "Hey, Beth might like some flowers today: why don't you send her some?"

Of course, I might just be the insane atheist who occasionally plays Devil's Advocate while pondering why something that should be as grand as God is so often used as an excuse to do the most horrible things to our fellow men (and women).

Ant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/10/08 at 9:10 pm

Yeah, they're the ones who kill people because rational humanism told them to do it.
:-\\

Who said he's insane because he's a Christian?  He's insane because he hacked up his girlfriend and boiled her flesh.  Granted, if a loony reads the Bible too much, he might get the idea that God orders man to do ultraviolence....

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/10/08 at 9:36 pm

Who said he's insane because he's a Christian?  He's insane because he hacked up his girlfriend and boiled her flesh.  Granted, if a loony reads the Bible too much, he might get the idea that God orders man to do ultraviolence....

The title actually gave me that impression. It was in a "Haha! Just kidding, it wasn't an atheist, of course, it was just one of those cu-razy Christians again..!" kind of deliverance. Or am I wrong?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/10/08 at 9:43 pm

The title actually gave me that impression. It was in a "Haha! Just kidding, it wasn't an atheist, of course, it was just one of those cu-razy Christians again..!" kind of deliverance. Or am I wrong?

Maybe you're right.  I dunno.  You'll have to ask the man who started the thread.

I'm trying to think of some killer atheists to list here....

Written By: Tia on 01/10/08 at 9:48 pm

I'm trying to think of some killer atheists to list here....
well, that's sorta the point, yeah? kinda not a lot of murderous atheists out there, i mean historically? they mostly seem to putter about on college campuses and such.

whereas, from my point of view as a decided spiritual on-the-fencer, religion-wise? just about everybody who professes to a specific one of the three major faiths seems to have something to answer to, violence-wise, just in terms of the objective history of the last two thousand years. um, sorry, but it's there. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/bdayfrown.gif

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/10/08 at 10:05 pm

It wouldn't have been a concern if the story was presented in a way that didn't make it seem like he did it because not only was he sick in the head, but he also believed in God (Or something of the sort. Judging by the incident, It's pretty clear he doesn't know what the heck he believes in.), so that must play a prominent part in the act. Whether he be Atheist, Christian, Buddhist, or bow down to metal spatulas, it's all pretty irrelevant. Mentally insane people conjure all sorts of things into their existence, so I really wouldn't classify him with a particular religious group. He pretty much just belongs in the mental congregation.

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/10/08 at 10:07 pm

Or, yanno, he could be an atheist trying to bring a bad name to Christians with this facade?

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/10/08 at 10:14 pm

Or, yanno, he could be an atheist trying to bring a bad name to Christians with this facade?

Or just crazy!

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/10/08 at 10:36 pm

I wonder if he had a side dish of fava beans and a nice chianti? ???

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/10/08 at 10:40 pm

Or maybe the woman just deserved it. Perhaps she was really the crazy one, and wouldn't let him eat. So.. he showed her.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/10/08 at 11:27 pm

slightly... dig at all religions... since most of the single god ones have people who do things because GOD told them to... be them sane or not

Muslims will say Allah, Jews will say Yahweh... Christians God... they all mean the same thing was translated into english..

What's the similarity between a Muslim suicide bomber and a Christian Planned Parenthood bomber?  When you have strong faith in an afterlife, you have strong faith you'll get rewarded when you die, especially if you think you're doing God's work for him.

Written By: Tia on 01/11/08 at 5:40 am

look. y'all eat babies. just accept it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/11/08 at 10:15 pm

look. y'all eat babies. just accept it.

This idiot tried to boil an adult.  Takes forever to soften 'em up!  I say get them before their first birthday, preferably on the Sabbath night closest to the full moon.  They're much more savory then, don't know why.
:P

Written By: Jessica on 01/11/08 at 10:18 pm

You guys just reminded me of the Placenta Recipes website. :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/11/08 at 10:18 pm

slightly... dig at all religions... since most of the single god ones have people who do things because GOD told them to... be them sane or not

Muslims will say Allah, Jews will say Yahweh... Christians God... they all mean the same thing was translated into english..

What's the similarity between a Muslim suicide bomber and a Christian Planned Parenthood bomber?  When you have strong faith in an afterlife, you have strong faith you'll get rewarded when you die, especially if you think you're doing God's work for him.

On the other hand, playing devil's advocate here...
;)

It's harder to prove a negative.  How many people didn't kill because God told them not to do it?

I wonder if he had a side dish of fava beans and a nice chianti? ???

Bud Light and Pringles more likely!
:D

Written By: Red Ant on 01/11/08 at 10:44 pm

You guys just reminded me of the Placenta Recipes website. :P

I'm glad I had spaghetti last night.  8-P

Placenta Cocktail? I couldn't get drunk enough to down one of those!

Ant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/11/08 at 11:58 pm

Ant

They say it's very rich in protein...but so are a lot of things, and I for one ain't gonna...
:-X

Written By: Dude111 on 01/12/08 at 12:01 am

Very sad.............

Written By: Macphisto on 01/12/08 at 4:06 pm

I'm an atheist myself, but even I know of the crazy ones.  Communism was an atheist movement throughout the world, and Chairman Mao and Stalin were both about the craziest atheists out there.

In more recent times, a man who had once been a Christian and had just converted to atheism decided to kill some Christians at two different Christian schools in Colorado.  Remember this guy: http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/12/11/colorado.shootings/index.html

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/12/08 at 5:31 pm

Ant

I... uh..

... Placenta?

As in... a placenta placenta? Or is it just a very bad idea of a "cute name?"

Written By: Jessica on 01/12/08 at 6:04 pm

I... uh..

... Placenta?

As in... a placenta placenta? Or is it just a very bad idea of a "cute name?"

Oh no, it's THE placenta. Check out the website, unless you've just eaten.

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/08 at 6:21 pm

Oh no, it's THE placenta. Check out the website, unless you've just eaten.

freshman yr of high school (catholic high school) a mother of one of the girls came to give a talk about pregnancy to the class.
now that I think of it I guess it was more of an anti-abortion talk.... :-\\

anyway, she brought jars containing fetuses (feti?) in various stages of development.  Then she brought out this crinkled aluminum foil package.  she unwrapped the package and pulled out a gross slimey, bloody thing...yep it was a placenta.  She passed the damn thing around so we could all see it in all its wonder and glory up close.  unfortunately for me this class was the one right before lunch.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/12/08 at 8:17 pm

I'm an atheist myself, but even I know of the crazy ones.  Communism was an atheist movement throughout the world, and Chairman Mao and Stalin were both about the craziest atheists out there.

Annointing yourself a God surrogate does not qualify as atheism in my book.  Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, and the like declare their leadership unchallengable and their words infallible.  They don't want God involved because they don't want competition. 

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/12/08 at 8:52 pm

freshman yr of high school (catholic high school) a mother of one of the girls came to give a talk about pregnancy to the class.
now that I think of it I guess it was more of an anti-abortion talk.... :-\\

anyway, she brought jars containing fetuses (feti?) in various stages of development.  Then she brought out this crinkled aluminum foil package.  she unwrapped the package and pulled out a gross slimey, bloody thing...yep it was a placenta.  She passed the damn thing around so we could all see it in all its wonder and glory up close.  unfortunately for me this class was the one right before lunch.

:P Better than after lunch.

Written By: snozberries on 01/13/08 at 12:28 am

:P Better than after lunch.

;D good point

Written By: philbo on 01/15/08 at 5:53 pm

This idiot tried to boil an adult.  Takes forever to soften 'em up!  I say get them before their first birthday, preferably on the Sabbath night closest to the full moon.  They're much more savory then, don't know why.
:P

I was wondering whether it was a case of foreplay gone wrong...

Check for new replies or respond here...