» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: New Hampshire results

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/08/08 at 8:12 pm

http://www.politico.com/nhprimaries/nhmap-popup.html

updates live, via the AP news wires as the results come in.

John McCain and Mitt Romney in the early lead for the Republicans with Huckabee a distant third.

Barack and Hillary are practically tied, with John Edward in a distant third.

Subject: Re: New Hampshire results

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/08/08 at 8:17 pm

Clinton: 16,739
Obama: 14,829
Edwards: 6,993
Richardson: 1,817
Kucinich: 798
Gravel: 57

McCain: 9,660
Romney: 7,464
Huckabee: 3,130
Giuliani: 2,440
Paul: 2,172
Thompson: 376
Hunter: 153

13% of the vote in.

Fox and CNN project McCain wins on republican side.  Hillary Clinton still leading Obama.  If Clinton wins (doubt it though), it's over for Obama.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/08/08 at 8:21 pm

12% of the vote in.

Fox and CNN project McCain wins on republican side.  Hillary Clinton still leading Obama.  If Clinton wins (doubt it though), it's over for Obama.

gee, just yesterday Drudge said third place in Iowa meant Hillary was dropping out.  :D

Way too early for statements like that, especially after the pasting Clinton got in Iowa.

I could see Gravel and Richardson dropping out, and Giuliani and Hunter.  Doubt they have much to go on at this point.  Kucinich and Ron Paul are more of a protest vote, they'll stay in just to make noise.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/08/08 at 8:23 pm

also, can I say Barack is probably the classiest of the candidates after reading this:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/01/07/protestors-disrupt-obama-rally/

if this was a George W. Bush rally he'd have made a snide comment and the protesters would be in jail for a week or two.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/08/08 at 8:25 pm

Even if Clinton wins they're so close in NH that Obama will still get a bunch of delegates, right?  Then they're even going into the next state...it'd be nice if Obama won though.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/08/08 at 8:28 pm

Even if Clinton wins they're so close in NH that Obama will still get a bunch of delegates, right?

I guess.  New Hampshire isn't exactly a delegate-rich state.

I say what I said only because the media buried Clinton.  They spent all afternoon today talking about her just hoping not to lose tonight by double digit percentage points.  The momentum of her somehow winning would be amazing.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/08/08 at 8:29 pm

Even if Clinton wins they're so close in NH that Obama will still get a bunch of delegates, right?  Then they're even going into the next state...it'd be nice if Obama won though.

Indeed it would.  I hope McCain wins too!
;)

As for Matt Drudge, if I wanted a joke, I'd follow him into the john and watch him take a leak!
:D

Written By: Dagwood on 01/08/08 at 10:07 pm

If Clinton wins (doubt it though), it's over for Obama.

How is it over for Obama if Clinton wins?  He won one state and can win others easily.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/08/08 at 10:36 pm

The AP just called New Hampshire for Hillary Clinton.

How is it over for Obama if Clinton wins?

Momentum.  She was supposed to lose tonight by double digits.

Written By: saver on 01/08/08 at 10:39 pm

The AP just called New Hampshire for Hillary Clinton.

Momentum.  She was supposed to lose tonight by double digits.

She got the votes because people think she's the second coming after crying on camera yesterday and little ice cubes fell from her eyes :D :D

Written By: Davester on 01/08/08 at 10:41 pm

How is it over for Obama if Clinton wins?  He won one state and can win others easily.

Yep, we still have 300+ days 'till the general election.  Personally, I think the crying was a well calculated move on Hillary's part...

On to California.  This state idolizes Bill and longs for his return in the person of his wife...

Written By: Davester on 01/08/08 at 10:41 pm

She got the votes because people think she's the second coming after crying on camera yesterday and little ice cubes fell from her eyes :D :D

You beat me to it...

Written By: nally on 01/08/08 at 10:42 pm

Yep, we still have 300+ days 'till the general election.  Personally, I think the crying was a well calculated move on Hillary's part...

On to California.  This state idolizes Bill and longs for his return in the person of his wife...

301, to be exact. Yes, we Californians have our primary on February 5th...that's only a month away!! :o Which is different, because in the past, California's primary elections have been in March or June, but this time they changed it.

Written By: SemperYoda on 01/08/08 at 10:54 pm

Is it gearing up to be another depressing election?   

Written By: Davester on 01/08/08 at 10:54 pm

301, to be exact. Yes, we Californians have our primary on February 5th...that's only a month away!! :o Which is different, because in the past, California's primary elections have been in March or June, but this time they changed it.

Yup, this is true...

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/08/08 at 11:11 pm

I dunno, considering just a month ago Obama was down everywhere by double digits, and tonight he's staying within 2% of Clinton, I'd say we have a good one brewing.  Go Obama!

Written By: SemperYoda on 01/08/08 at 11:31 pm

Poor poor Americans, voting for Hillary based on their liking of Bill.  Its like voting for Bush because he is a good ole boy.  Personally, I dont think how people see her being able to bring unity to America.  The Republicans hated Bill, I dont imagine they have much love for her either. 

McCain winning is a surprise to me.  At least Huckabee didn't get a chance there.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/08/08 at 11:34 pm

Personally, I think the crying was a well calculated move on Hillary's part...

When was the last time anyone was on the verge of tears... and by sheer coincidence, mutter out things like (I'm upset because) "it's personal for me too!" (especially since saying it's personal worked well with Edwards' focus groups during the other night's debate) and (I'm upset because) "I'm ready" (and Obama isn't).  Nobody genuinely on the verge of tears in an unscripted environment stays on message like that.

Well-played, Hill.

Written By: Macphisto on 01/08/08 at 11:37 pm

Well, we know where to look for fascist voters...  

Written By: McDonald on 01/09/08 at 12:18 am

Poor poor Americans, voting for Hillary based on their liking of Bill.  Its like voting for Bush because he is a good ole boy.  Personally, I dont think how people see her being able to bring unity to America.  The Republicans hated Bill, I dont imagine they have much love for her either. 

Bush is a spoiled brat son of the biggest tosspot in US politics. He had everything handed to him on a silver platter since day one. Senator Clinton, at least, climbed her own way to the top. She married Bill (who is the only pres I can think of who was born to a single mother, and grew up poor in an abusive home: that's the real America) by choice, before he was governor of AK, and before he was president. She's not a silver spoon, and she certainly wasn't 'marrying up' the social ladder when she wed Bill.

I see a clear difference in the situation. Bush was born a prince, and never did a day's honest work in his life. Senator Clinton's parents were upper-middle class, but they could only dream of touching the millions (maybe even billions) of the Bush dynasty. Read even a small bio of hers, and you'll see all the things she has accomplished on her own, without Bill, and without funds from the BMD (the Bank of Mum and Dad).

So, while her marriage with the former (widely esteemed) president may increase someone's liking for her, her allure cannot be reduced to that connection alone.

Written By: sonikuu on 01/09/08 at 12:49 am

New Hampshire has disappointed me.  They have voted John McCain for the Republicans, a man who has said that US troops staying in Iraq for 100 years is just fine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf7HYoh9YMM&feature=related).

They also voted for Hillary Clinton solely because she displayed some fake, staged tears yesterday.  Hillary Clinton is the woman who couldn't guarantee that US troops would be out of Iraq by 2013.  She doesn't represent change for this country, she represents the presidency becoming a dynasty passing back and forth between select families (Bush and Clinton).  Osama Bin Laden once accused the US presidency of being dynastic, occupied only by those who are related or have connections with previous presidents.  Hillary Clinton being president would only prove him right, as we Americans will have apparently decided that 24 years of Bush and Clinton is desirable.

What a shame.  The American people demand change, yet they vote for the very people that will not bring it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/09/08 at 2:55 am

I don't think the tearful Clinton was contrived.

I don't think it mattered either.  There's a difference between a caucus and a primary.  The NH primary had the results I predicted.  Some of those pundits were calling it "the end of the Clinton era" when Obama bested Clinton in Iowa. 
Mind you, in order for such a claim to valid:
A. Hillary would have to lose her senate seat.
B. You have to call the current state of affairs "the Clinton Era" in the first place!
:D

A dumb remark backed by a dumber presumption.  These guys get paid six figures.  Sometimes seven. Chris Matthews, one of the most powerful commentators in the country (and one of the richest) repeated that "end of the Clinton Era" inanity as though some Ivy League political science wonk said it.  Pundits.  Christ, I could do their jobs!  But noooooo, I'm just a work-a-day slob!
;D

I predict Hillary will mop up on Super Tuesday.  Now, if I'm wrong, you might say, "See, Maxwell, you ain't all that, you couldn't be a TV pundit."  Well, let me tell you, I guarantee the bimbos predicting the "end of the Clinton Era" ain't worrying about job security tonight. 

And now, as I stay up long after I should have hit the hay, I'm watching Obama giving his concession rally.  "Change" is the buzz word.  Why is it the Dems always have to go on about "change"?  The entire Obama crowd was chanting:
"We want change! We want change! We want change! We want change! We want change! We want change!"

Change?  F**k that sh*t!  Gas is over three bucks a gallon.  I want folding money!
:P

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/09/08 at 7:41 am

Yep, we still have 300+ days 'till the general election.  Personally, I think the crying was a well calculated move on Hillary's part...

On to California.  This state idolizes Bill and longs for his return in the person of his wife...

I finally watched the video of that... still can't figure out what the fuss is about.  The press is desperate for something to talk about I guess.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/09/08 at 9:40 am

When was the last time anyone was on the verge of tears... and by sheer coincidence, mutter out things like (I'm upset because) "it's personal for me too!" (especially since saying it's personal worked well with Edwards' focus groups during the other night's debate) and (I'm upset because) "I'm ready" (and Obama isn't).  Nobody genuinely on the verge of tears in an unscripted environment stays on message like that.

Well-played, Hill.

How soon we forget

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYcNjxAoJbk&feature=related

Written By: danootaandme on 01/09/08 at 9:41 am

It can never be as depressing as the last two.  Jubilation at the end of the bush era will reign supreme.

Written By: SemperYoda on 01/09/08 at 7:44 pm

Bush is a spoiled brat son of the biggest tosspot in US politics. He had everything handed to him on a silver platter since day one. Senator Clinton, at least, climbed her own way to the top. She married Bill (who is the only pres I can think of who was born to a single mother, and grew up poor in an abusive home: that's the real America) by choice, before he was governor of AK, and before he was president. She's not a silver spoon, and she certainly wasn't 'marrying up' the social ladder when she wed Bill.

I see a clear difference in the situation. Bush was born a prince, and never did a day's honest work in his life. Senator Clinton's parents were upper-middle class, but they could only dream of touching the millions (maybe even billions) of the Bush dynasty. Read even a small bio of hers, and you'll see all the things she has accomplished on her own, without Bill, and without funds from the BMD (the Bank of Mum and Dad).

So, while her marriage with the former (widely esteemed) president may increase someone's liking for her, her allure cannot be reduced to that connection alone.

Ya, bush is a spoiled Brat.  I understand that Hillary is smart and has worked her way up.

However, I was not comparing the two of them.  I was comparing the way America votes for its leaders at times.  I had heard that she would get votes from states that liked Bill alot.  Voting for someone who is a good ole boy is stupid, as well as basing your vote off of familiarity.  I am sure they are voting for her because they like her and her issues, all I was doing was mainly in jest. 

Written By: Tia on 01/09/08 at 7:46 pm

How soon we forget

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYcNjxAoJbk&feature=related
what a girly man. arnold needs to pump him up.

Written By: Davester on 01/11/08 at 1:36 am

I can't believe Paul lost the "Live Free or Die" state... ???

I finally watched the video of that... still can't figure out what the fuss is about.  The press is desperate for something to talk about I guess.

Hillary's crocodile tears set feminism back fifty years...

Written By: McDonald on 01/11/08 at 1:46 am

Hillary's crocodile tears set feminism back fifty years...

Well, somebody had to do it.  :D

Just kidding, of course.

But honestly, why do people feel they have to badmouth Senator Clinton just because she's not their candidate of choice. I've said time and again that I'd be happy to see Barack Obama become president (he's a Democrat, and more importantly, he's not a Republican), but he just isn't my candidate of choice. I've given a couple of reasons why, but none of them were as personal or ridicuous or virulent as many of the anti-Hillary rhetoric coming from DEMOCRATS out there. I expect that sort of sh!t from Republicans, but you'd think the debate within the party over who will be the chosen candidate would be a little friendlier than the actual election itself usually is.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/11/08 at 5:32 am

I just don't see where this reaches the level of discussion that it does.  It isn't like she came close to breaking down.  And she didn't cry, it was a quaver at most and people are running around talking about it like there were tears streaming down her face.  Get over it. 

Written By: Tia on 01/11/08 at 5:34 am

i think a part of it might be that people are afraid the hillary thing might be a setup ... that she wins the primary and we learn her negatives are so bad with the general population, for good reasons OR bad, that she's unelectable and we wind up with mitt romney or giuliani in the white house. that would suck. and apparently, hillary's negatives are pretty significant, poll-wise.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/11/08 at 5:48 am

i think a part of it might be that people are afraid the hillary thing might be a setup ... that she wins the primary and we learn her negatives are so bad with the general population, for good reasons OR bad, that she's unelectable and we wind up with mitt romney or giuliani in the white house. that would suck. and apparently, hillary's negatives are pretty significant, poll-wise.

I don't think we really have much of a problem with guiliani, but I also think Hilary couldn't take the white house unless something happened again that  totally pissed off the republicans and irked the indies enough to drive them to her.  She may have a shot if she is coupled with Obama as VP, but I am not sure he would take 2nd spot.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/11/08 at 12:19 pm

Well, somebody had to do it.  :D

Just kidding, of course.

But honestly, why do people feel they have to badmouth Senator Clinton just because she's not their candidate of choice. I've said time and again that I'd be happy to see Barack Obama become president (he's a Democrat, and more importantly, he's not a Republican), but he just isn't my candidate of choice. I've given a couple of reasons why, but none of them were as personal or ridicuous or virulent as many of the anti-Hillary rhetoric coming from DEMOCRATS out there. I expect that sort of sh!t from Republicans, but you'd think the debate within the party over who will be the chosen candidate would be a little friendlier than the actual election itself usually is.

I hope you know that I haven't badmouth her personally-I spoke against her record in the Senate-which is why she is not my candidate of choice.

I will say something in her defense:  She is fighting an uphill battle-not because she is a Clinton but because she is a woman. Since this has been an "all-boys club" since the beginning, she is breaking new ground here, but people wonder can she do it-meaning is she "masculine" enough to do the job. But then, they ask is she "feminine" enough. And then they bitch because she acts "too masculine" or they bitch because she acts "too feminine". I don't think she is "TOO" either way. She is Hillary. And I do admire her for the fact that she is making history (so is Obama & Richardson for that matter) and I give her a lot of credit for coming as far as she has already and keeping up with the "big boys".

Cat

Written By: Macphisto on 01/12/08 at 4:31 pm

I just hope people don't vote for Clinton solely because she's a woman.  That would be very foolish -- as foolish as not voting for her because she's a woman.  I support Obama, but it's not because he's black -- it's because he's charismatic and a good leader.

Every candidate has their theatrics, but I really hope this tearful BS by her (and the staged "sexist" heckler) aren't the beginning of a trend.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/12/08 at 4:35 pm

I'd vote for a woman if it weren't Hillary Clinton :)

Check for new replies or respond here...