» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Supreme Court appears likely to back voter ID law

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/10/08 at 8:17 am

Looking likely that Indiana, Georgia, Arizona and Michigan will get to keep their photo ID requirements to vote...and open the door for new states (like Missouri) to pass these needed laws.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/09/voter.id/

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A conservative majority of the Supreme Court appeared ready Wednesday to support an Indiana law requiring voters to show photo identification, despite concerns that it could deprive thousands of people of their right to vote.

At issue is whether state laws designed to stem voter fraud would disenfranchise large numbers of Americans who might lack proper identification -- many of them elderly, poor or minority voters.

"The real question is, does it disenfranchise anyone?" Todd Rokita, Indiana secretary of state told CNN. "After six elections in the state of Indiana, the answer has been no. ... That's why the opponents to this keep losing in court."

In oral arguments Wednesday, Paul Smith, attorney for a coalition of groups and voters, including the NAACP and the Democratic Party, told the high court the state law "directly burdens over our most fundamental rights, the right to vote."

Smith faced tough questions from most of the high court bench.

Justice Antonin Scalia wondered why the Democrats were the ones filing the lawsuit, saying it should have been filed by individual voters who may have been directly harmed by the law. His questioning suggested he thought the case had more to do with politics than the law.

Liberal activists claim voter ID laws help Republicans by keeping away many voters who might be inclined to vote Democratic. Supporters of the laws strongly deny it.

Justice Anthony Kennedy pressed Smith repeatedly to show that the law caused a real burden.

"You want us to invalidate the statute because of minimal inconvenience?" he asked.

Full Article

Subject: Re: Supreme Court appears likely to back voter ID law

Written By: Tia on 01/10/08 at 1:48 pm

you know, if conservatives made their policies A little more palatable to normal people, they wouldn’t have to keep trying to keep poor people from voting. As it is, this is just another step in creating a police state where we’ll have to carry papers around to do everything pertinent to our daily lives, sorta like in 30s and 40s germany.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/10/08 at 1:59 pm

As it is, this is just another step in creating a police state

Is having to prove you are who you say you are before voting is such a terrible thing?

Why can't the democrats, after all their searching, find anyone credible to say photo ID requirements truely effects them?

Written By: danootaandme on 01/10/08 at 2:59 pm

What happens when the person at the voting station decides that the picture doesn't look like me, but it is.  Are there options?

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/10/08 at 3:05 pm

Is having to prove you are who you say you are before voting is such a terrible thing?

Why can't the democrats, after all their searching, find anyone credible to say photo ID requirements truely effects them?

It has nothing to do with voting integrity.  If it did, the Republicans would be nowhere near it.

The majority of people in New York City take mass transit.  This law requires everyone in NYC to have a picture ID in order to vote, even if they didn't have a need for a license previously.  Same holds true for any area that has hgih density of people and car ownership is smaller.  I wonder how those areas tend to vote?

Is that enough reason?  Or do you want names of individuals impacted by this?  It's another poll tax, only now we're mandating a $40 (or more) ID on people who didn't need one before. 

Can you provide evidence of widespread voting fraud by people who would have been prevented if they were required to show ID?  Didn't think so.

How about putting an end to vote caging?  No support from the GOP on that subject. Easier to pretend there's widespread cases of people voting multiple times, when in fact the GOP brags about how they prevent people from voting at all.

http://www.bradblog.com/?p=5487

Written By: danootaandme on 01/10/08 at 3:38 pm

Perhaps Diebold has photo machines to produce the national identification cards that will be necessary to vote.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/10/08 at 3:50 pm

It has nothing to do with voting integrity.  If it did, the Republicans would be nowhere near it.

Or maybe the democrats are just worried they'll just lose all their double-votes and votes from illegal aliens?

Written By: gumbypiz on 01/10/08 at 3:55 pm

We already verify our identities when we registered to vote to begin with. So why need to do it again?

The voting laws make it a felony to try and vote under a false identity, and the lawyers presenting the case showed that neither state has EVER shown a case that voter fraud has ever occurred due to or for lack of presentation of valid ID. It would be insane for any individual to risk a severe jail term for voting with a false identity, the punishment is way too harsh considering the risk.

So why is a Voter ID law even needed? The average underprivileged person doesn't have a car, or bank account and doesn't have need or $$ for an ID or a drivers license.
Why should they pay a disproportionate amount of the little funds they have to vote when the large majority of Republican voters do not have this issue or problem?

I say, if you really want voter ID laws, then fine, then pony up a system for them to get the ID cards for free or reduced amount, so that everyone, no matter their financial status gets a chance to vote.

If you really believe we need this law and believe everyone should have the opportunity to vote than why don't I hear any Repubs clamoring to get the underprivileged to register to vote and get an ID?

Why? Because as usual, we have one group that wants to exclude another from taking part in a process that we should all have a basic right to, no other reason.
Why else would there be a push to have one group pay for something the other has no difficulty in paying for?

Voting should NEVER be based upon an individuals financial status or their ability to pay (for voter/poll tax or voter ID, its all the same). Any law that by default makes you pay to vote is unconstitutional and against what this country was about.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/10/08 at 3:58 pm

^ That thar would be the Poll Tax amendment you be talking about.  I will agree that if an ID is required, it should be free of charge.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/10/08 at 4:02 pm

Or maybe the democrats are just worried they'll just lose all their double-votes and votes from illegal aliens?

prove it, prove it, prove it, prove it... saying it doesn't make it reality.

You have almost no documented vote abuse cases for the past twenty years... why is this suddenly a cause for the Republicans?

There are however plenty of vote caging actions bragged about by the Republican leadership.  It's pretty easy to connect the voter ID push to the widespread vote caging push.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/10/08 at 4:04 pm

I will agree that if an ID is required, it should be free of charge.

It is free in Georgia.  I don't know about Indiana.

A survey released Wednesday by American University's Center for Democracy and Election Management found that more than two-thirds of registered voters in Indiana, Mississippi and Maryland would trust the election system more if voters had to show an ID. About 1.2 percent of those surveyed lacked a government-issued photo ID, which the center's co-director said shows the photo ID requirement is not a serious concern.

Source

Written By: Tia on 01/10/08 at 4:07 pm

It is free in Georgia.  I don't know about Indiana.

A survey released Wednesday by American University's Center for Democracy and Election Management found that more than two-thirds of registered voters in Indiana, Mississippi and Maryland would trust the election system more if voters had to show an ID. About 1.2 percent of those surveyed lacked a government-issued photo ID, which the center's co-director said shows the photo ID requirement is not a serious concern.

Source
1.2 percent of voters isn't a serious concern? the 2000 election was decided on a much thinner margin than that.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/10/08 at 4:08 pm

prove it, prove it, prove it, prove it... saying it doesn't make it reality.

You have almost no documented vote abuse cases for the past twenty years... why is this suddenly a cause for the Republicans?

The democratic party of Indiana is the one suing.  The burden of proof falls on them to show that requiring photo ID somehow disenfranchises minority voters, which they scream as if it's established fact.

Why can't they find anyone credible to come forward and say this law effects them and then prove it?  Same happened in Georgia, and that's why the judge here threw the lawsuit out a couple of months ago.  The democrats looked and looked but couldn't find even one single person in the state whose "right to vote" was hurt by having to show a photo ID.

Why is the democratic party of Indiana suing and not someone effected by the law?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/10/08 at 4:08 pm

1.2% of potential voters would translate to something like 3.6 million people across the nation, not taking into account the fact that a lot of those people may be resident aliens or undocumented and that other states would have a different survey range.  

Of course, you can't even register to vote unless you have buttloads of information to begin with when you go to apply for the motor-voter thing at the DMV, so I guess that's not such a big deal...those IDs you have to pay for, but it's like $10 in Illinois.  

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/10/08 at 6:02 pm

Why you're going to make it more difficult for anyone to vote when in the US abstention is so high already? The purpose should be EVERYONE who can should vote,no? Next thing you know you can only vote if your parking tickets are all payed for or something ::)

As for illegal immigrants..who's going to jeopardize their cover by voting?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/10/08 at 6:15 pm

Why you're going to make it more difficult for anyone to vote when in the US abstention is so high already? The purpose should be EVERYONE who can should vote,no? Next thing you know you can only vote if your parking tickets are all payed for or something ::)

As for illegal immigrants..who's going to jeopardize their cover by voting?

The abstaining voters are more a matter of choice than anything.  They either can't be bothered to go to the polls because they have something better to do, or the candidates are just so crappy that they feel like they're throwing their vote away.  It's sort of a defeatist attitude.

I personally am okay with showing my ID at polling places, and the funny thing is that I probably look like a billion other people on the planet (I'm Asian, go fig :D ).  I had to pay for mine, but it wasn't like it was expensive or anything...people pay more for the privilege of driving a car or for cable.  I think a voter-specific ID should be free, but even if it isn't, are the dissenting opinions suggesting that people are too cheap to pony up $40 for an ID when 200+ years worth of blood spilled to ensure that one has the right to vote? 

Just my opinion...but yeah, if an ID is mandated, it should be free.  I agree that charging a fee for such an ID is like a poll tax in disguise.

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/10/08 at 7:06 pm

The abstaining voters are more a matter of choice than anything.  They either can't be bothered to go to the polls because they have something better to do, or the candidates are just so crappy that they feel like they're throwing their vote away.  It's sort of a defeatist attitude.

I personally am okay with showing my ID at polling places, and the funny thing is that I probably look like a billion other people on the planet (I'm Asian, go fig :D ).  I had to pay for mine, but it wasn't like it was expensive or anything...people pay more for the privilege of driving a car or for cable.  I think a voter-specific ID should be free, but even if it isn't, are the dissenting opinions suggesting that people are too cheap to pony up $40 for an ID when 200+ years worth of blood spilled to ensure that one has the right to vote? 

Just my opinion...but yeah, if an ID is mandated, it should be free.  I agree that charging a fee for such an ID is like a poll tax in disguise.

*shallow moment* I wasn't 'cause my id photo was so awful,but now that i got robbed( >:() i can get new ones so i'm going to make sure i'll show mine around lots! *end of shallow moment*

I sort of agree with you,but people are lazy and cheap and some just can't be bothered so motivate em by making it easy and free,you know?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/10/08 at 7:12 pm

*shallow moment* I wasn't 'cause my id photo was so awful,but now that i got robbed( >:() i can get new ones so i'm going to make sure i'll show mine around lots! *end of shallow moment*

I sort of agree with you,but people are lazy and cheap and some just can't be bothered so motivate em by making it easy and free,you know?

I'm sure you looked hawt :D :D

Yeah, everyone's vote counts, but I wish they'd put more investment into it :P  And I sorta agree that you should know that the voter is who he/she claims to be but the process by which one determines identity is arguable...with the sheer volume of voters each election it's hard to keep track and 100% guarantee no fraud, see?

Written By: Tia on 01/10/08 at 7:17 pm

Yeah, everyone's vote counts, but I wish they'd put more investment into it :P 
a couple years ago i went to vote and i knew exactly who i wanted to vote for but then after i was done voting for the candidates the little touch-screen thing started hitting me up with my opinion on all these referendums i had no idea what they were!! it was like six screens of, "i authorize the government to create a bond in the amount of $250,000 to create an office for the disputation of such and such..." i had no idea what any of these things were but it sounded like a lot of money so i voted against them all, figuring, well, we'd probably be better off saving the money for later or whatever. then i talked to my friend jason a couple weeks later and he says, quite affably, "you know, when folks say things about how they wish certain people wouldn't vote, that's exactly the sort of thing they have in mind. you know that, right?"

http://www.inthe00s.com/avatars_custom/avatar_9375.png

"you need to see my license so i can vote? well, um... it's on the back of my car dude."

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/10/08 at 7:18 pm

I'm sure you looked hawt :D :D

Yeah, everyone's vote counts, but I wish they'd put more investment into it :P  And I sorta agree that you should know that the voter is who he/she claims to be but the process by which one determines identity is arguable...with the sheer volume of voters each election it's hard to keep track and 100% guarantee no fraud, see?

Believe me i didn't 8-P I was thinking if someone is using my passport right now it has to be the ugliest dog in the world or everytime he/she tries to use it they'll get stopped.

You guys should do what we do,make it mandatory: you're an american citizen? you vote!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/10/08 at 7:20 pm

My high school polisci teacher told us that the Founding Fathers drafted the system with the knowledge that the average voter would be ill-informed...I don't think I'm ill-informed, I'm just mostly apathetic :D

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/10/08 at 8:39 pm

The democratic party of Indiana is the one suing.  The burden of proof falls on them to show that requiring photo ID somehow disenfranchises minority voters, which they scream as if it's established fact.

Why can't they find anyone credible to come forward and say this law effects them and then prove it?  Same happened in Georgia, and that's why the judge here threw the lawsuit out a couple of months ago.  The democrats looked and looked but couldn't find even one single person in the state whose "right to vote" was hurt by having to show a photo ID.

Why is the democratic party of Indiana suing and not someone effected by the law?

Guess I missed the US changing over to a guilty until proven innocent law system.  As for a judge in a highly Republican state disagreeing with the Democratic party... um yeah, that's not really proof either.

1.2% is a huge amount of people.  As for a survey saying that people would "trust it more" that's hardly a smoking gun of past misdeeds.  It's proof of nothing really.  You can cook a survey to give any result you want.  If a survey is the only "proof" that the system is broken, you'll have to try harder.  Especially considering a neocon think-tank that sponsored it.

You want to encourage more trust in the system?  Remove touch-screen voting panels from the voting booths.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/10/08 at 8:49 pm

What happens when the person at the voting station decides that the picture doesn't look like me, but it is.  Are there options?

Karma +1 for Danoota.
Karma +1 for Chucky

Republicans have soooooome nerve raising a ruckus about integrity at the polls!!!
>:(

If all they wanted was a photo ID, I would find Rice's idea palatable--if you don't have a driver's license (and that's the photo ID 99 out of 100 people show) then the state should provide you with a voter ID card for free.  

But Danoota hints at the truth of the matter.  This sh*t's never gonna stop!  If they profile you as somebody who won't vote Republican, redneck poll workers will hassle you about the authenticity of the photo or deny you a ballot if your address doesn't match the one on the card, or declare your card a fake and demand back-up ID.  Next Republican legislators will send up bills to require applicants to take care of outstanding fines, warrants, liens, outstanding child support payments, outstanding student loan payments... and so on and so on and so on.  Perhaps they'll propose a poll tax to offset revenue losses from taxe cuts for the rich.

I said before and I'll say it again, the GOP would be tickled pink if they could return us to the day when only white males who owned property were enfranchised.  

I moved back to Amherst in June.  I registered to vote only last week.  The clerk at town hall did not require me to show ID.  I just filled out the little form and I was good to go.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/11/08 at 5:40 am

My high school polisci teacher told us that the Founding Fathers drafted the system with the knowledge that the average voter would be ill-informed...I don't think I'm ill-informed, I'm just mostly apathetic :D

They pretty much drafted it so that they would be the only ones able to vote.  White, Christian, property owning, males.  All those strict constructionist get misty at the thought. 

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/11/08 at 8:30 am

Guess I missed the US changing over to a guilty until proven innocent law system.  As for a judge in a highly Republican state disagreeing with the Democratic party... um yeah, that's not really proof either.

The ones filing the lawsuit are the ones who have to prove something.  That would be the democratic party of Indiana.  They need to prove there are a large group of "poor, elderly and minority" voters who now can't vote because of this law.

Also Michigan is another state that passed photo ID requirements and had it upheld.  Michigan isn't exactly a republican state.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/11/08 at 8:33 am

If all they wanted was a photo ID, I would find Rice's idea palatable--if you don't have a driver's license (and that's the photo ID 99 out of 100 people show) then the state should provide you with a voter ID card for free.

Voter ID law hits high court
Georgia hopeful as foes of Indiana photo IDs draw skeptical words from justices.
01/10/08

And if the Supreme Court rules against Indiana, Handel said her own state would not necessarily be affected because of key differences in Georgia's voting laws.

In fact, Associate Justice Stephen G. Breyer praised Georgia for offering free photo IDs to any registered voter who lacks one.

Georgia also permits any voter to use an absentee ballot, which does not require a photo ID.

Source

I moved back to Amherst in June.  I registered to vote only last week.  The clerk at town hall did not require me to show ID.  I just filled out the little form and I was good to go.

That really inspires a whole lot of confidence.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/11/08 at 10:00 am

The ones filing the lawsuit are the ones who have to prove something.  That would be the democratic party of Indiana.  They need to prove there are a large group of "poor, elderly and minority" voters who now can't vote because of this law.

Also Michigan is another state that passed photo ID requirements and had it upheld.  Michigan isn't exactly a republican state.

Now that the nonsensical law has been passed they have to find people willing to give up a large amount of time to help them win back their votes, which most people already assumed were being manipulated or not counted anyways.  Yeah, I can't understand why either.  ::)  A "large group" should be needed, why who determines what constitutes large?  A single person should be the requirement.  Elections are so close the past few years that many have been decided by a single or a dozen votes.

You still haven't provided a single piece of evidence to suggest the law is needed in the first place.  Sorry if the rest of us aren't willing to be led around by the conservative pundits on this one. The best you can do is a poll suggesting people who are conservative believe minorities are running around placing multiple votes, which is more a sign of the racist beliefs of the people polled than evidence of any voting irregularities.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/11/08 at 11:04 am

Georgia also permits any voter to use an absentee ballot, which does not require a photo ID.

Now that is odd wouldn't you say. An ID if you actually show up, but if you are at home being told who to vote for, or selling your vote it is ok.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/11/08 at 12:54 pm

I'm not too sure where I stand on this argument about showing a photo ID to vote. However, the problem I have is that a driver's license is the only form of ID that some people will accept. In Vermont, not all driver's licenses have photos (they are now phasing them in but many-including me have the old ones which do not have a photo). And not everyone has a driver's license. When someone ask to see a photo ID, I should them my military ID-that is a government issued ID. You wouldn't believe how many didn't want to see my government issued ID but wanted to see my state issued card that says I can drive a car. Before I got my driver's license, I was denied being able to write a check with my government issued ID card. I was also denied being able to open a bank account because I didn't have my driver's license with me-but I did have my government issued ID card.  It really pisses me off when a driver's license is used as an ID card but an ID card cannot be used as an ID card.

Ok, end of rant.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 01/11/08 at 1:07 pm

Passport trumps all.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/11/08 at 1:12 pm

Passport trumps all.

Passports also cost like $170 to apply for and get the photo etc. etc....mine expires in 2010.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/11/08 at 1:50 pm

Passports also cost like $170 to apply for and get the photo etc. etc....mine expires in 2010.

Mine expired a long time ago (besides it hasn't been updated with my new last name).

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 01/11/08 at 3:06 pm

I keep mine updated because you never know when you may wanna cross that border..for good and all.  ::)  It wouldn't be right to require a passport, but it does come in handy because it is the top tier ID.  I think the next step will be tattoos at birthto go along with the social security numbers.  I remember a few years ago a hospital was going to implement a mother/infant tattoo to avoid the switched at birth syndrome. Of course there is also the implanted GPS which will probably be standard within the next 25 years. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/11/08 at 3:22 pm

I keep mine updated because you never know when you may wanna cross that border..for good and all.  ::)  It wouldn't be right to require a passport, but it does come in handy because it is the top tier ID.  I think the next step will be tattoos at birthto go along with the social security numbers.  I remember a few years ago a hospital was going to implement a mother/infant tattoo to avoid the switched at birth syndrome. Of course there is also the implanted GPS which will probably be standard within the next 25 years. 

They are going to start (if they haven't already) tattoo barcodes on everyone.  ::)

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 01/11/08 at 3:39 pm

http://www.lmmfao.com/images/funny-pictures/Barcode-Tattoo_.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/11/08 at 4:08 pm

http://www.lmmfao.com/images/funny-pictures/Barcode-Tattoo_.jpg

I had this image of it being on a person's butt but that would work, too.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/11/08 at 10:00 pm

Voter ID law hits high court
Georgia hopeful as foes of Indiana photo IDs draw skeptical words from justices.
01/10/08

And if the Supreme Court rules against Indiana, Handel said her own state would not necessarily be affected because of key differences in Georgia's voting laws.

In fact, Associate Justice Stephen G. Breyer praised Georgia for offering free photo IDs to any registered voter who lacks one.

Uhhhh....you think I should agree with Stevie Breyer because he's a liberal? 
???

That really inspires a whole lot of confidence.

That goes to my point.  How dare a government have confidence in its citizens!

You assume people will certainly lie if they can get away with it, thus the state has to monitor everybody.  It's a vicious cycle.  The less the government trusts the people the less the people will trust the government, and the less trustworthy both shall become.  We are turning into a nation of surveillance at the expense of civics. 

Dennis Kucinich is demanding a recount in New Hampshire in the Democratic primary!  This is depressing.  As I see it, when the Bush camp stole the 2000 election they shattered the trust we Americans had in our electoral system.  Trust once  lost is hard to restore and if it is restored it will never again be complete trust. 

I don't agree with everything my town government does, but I respect my town offices because they respect me--they don't presume I am a liar until I prove I am not.  How would you feel if your family demanded a photo ID before you were allowed in the house?  Exactly.  If the clerk glared at me and demanded to see my driver's license, I would feel less welcome.  I would feel less like I owed the town any respect.    The way Amherst does it is more communitarian, which is a vital aspect of civics, which in turn is the underpinning of democracy.

The GOP everybody behind the walls of their gated communities with their copies of Atlas Shrugged and their double-barrel shotguns loaded.  Yeah, nice goddam country we got here!

Next November I'll drive over to the polling station for precinct 8, give my name and address to the nice old lady, cast my ballot and go home.  And that the way things ought to be.

On the other hand, the day the Republicans win Amherst....
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/uhoh2.gif

Written By: Macphisto on 01/12/08 at 4:26 pm

Agreed...  why is this an issue?

Written By: danootaandme on 01/12/08 at 5:13 pm

The issue is who will have the authority to deny people access to the vote when the deem that the ID "doesn't look like them".  And what good will an ID do with an absentee ballot?  An absentee ballot it can be sent in by anyone, the ballot can be bought, sold, or coerced.  So why all of the sudden voter ID for people who actually show up?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/12/08 at 8:25 pm

File under tactics of tyranny:

Make the attrition of democratic power sound like reasonable measures to protect and secure the population from wrong-doers.  In the process, cast suspicion upon all who object to such "reasonable" measures.

"What's wrong with having to prove who you are?" is  the wrong question. 

Do you trust Michael Chertoff?

Written By: Macphisto on 01/12/08 at 9:28 pm

File under tactics of tyranny:

Make the attrition of democratic power sound like reasonable measures to protect and secure the population from wrong-doers.  In the process, cast suspicion upon all who object to such "reasonable" measures.

"What's wrong with having to prove who you are?" is  the wrong question. 

Do you trust Michael Chertoff?

Currently, in many areas, it is possible to vote in our elections even if you are illegally in our country.  Also, votes have been cast under names of dead people.  I'd like to end these things, and a national ID card is about the only method I can see working here.  Having to prove your identity at a polling location is, indeed, "reasonable" in this day and age.

Written By: Tia on 01/12/08 at 10:01 pm

Currently, in many areas, it is possible to vote in our elections even if you are illegally in our country.  Also, votes have been cast under names of dead people.  I'd like to end these things, and a national ID card is about the only method I can see working here.  Having to prove your identity at a polling location is, indeed, "reasonable" in this day and age.
you might want to look into your sources on that. i believe that does happen, but nearly so often as certain pundits with a political axe to grind might have us believe.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/13/08 at 12:32 am

I surely would too.  It is a quesion of motivation.  The motivation of the Republican party in regards to voting are, charitibly speaking, crummy.
What we shall have is gradual disenfanchisement of Democrats and other undesirables under the guise of cleaning up corruption.  More tactics of tyranny.

Written By: Macphisto on 01/13/08 at 12:30 pm

I surely would too.  It is a quesion of motivation.  The motivation of the Republican party in regards to voting are, charitibly speaking, crummy.
What we shall have is gradual disenfanchisement of Democrats and other undesirables under the guise of cleaning up corruption.  More tactics of tyranny.

Well yeah... I mean, I'm not saying that I think the powers that be are doing this for virtuous reasons, but...  correct me if I'm wrong here, but don't Canada and most of Europe already have strict identity proof rules when it comes to voting?  If they can do it effectively, why can't we?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/13/08 at 1:33 pm

Well yeah... I mean, I'm not saying that I think the powers that be are doing this for virtuous reasons, but...  correct me if I'm wrong here, but don't Canada and most of Europe already have strict identity proof rules when it comes to voting?  If they can do it effectively, why can't we?

You don't let the fox fix the lock on the henhouse door!!!

Jeeezusaitchchrist!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/rolleyes.gif

Written By: Tia on 01/13/08 at 1:36 pm

it just seems foolish to give this government more power over the people when we've seen what a travesty it's made of the power it's gotten already. which i guess goes back to, do you trust michael chertoff? it just seems to me we need to hold off on any sweeping reforms of any kind till we get this current lot out of office because they dont seem to have gotten anything right up to now and i dont see any reason to think they'd handle this issue any differently.

Written By: La Roche on 01/13/08 at 1:38 pm

The majority of people in New York City take mass transit.  This law requires everyone in NYC to have a picture ID in order to vote, even if they didn't have a need for a license previously.  Same holds true for any area that has hgih density of people and car ownership is smaller.  I wonder how those areas tend to vote?

Is that enough reason?  Or do you want names of individuals impacted by this?  It's another poll tax, only now we're mandating a $40 (or more) ID on people who didn't need one before. 

Can you provide evidence of widespread voting fraud by people who would have been prevented if they were required to show ID?  Didn't think so.

How about putting an end to vote caging?  No support from the GOP on that subject. Easier to pretend there's widespread cases of people voting multiple times, when in fact the GOP brags about how they prevent people from voting at all.

http://www.bradblog.com/?p=5487

I actually agree with you here, but I'll make a point. I have 5 separate photo I.D's and I would imagine most people have at least 1, even if they use mass transit and don't have a drivers license.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/13/08 at 2:13 pm

I actually agree with you here, but I'll make a point. I have 5 separate photo I.D's and I would imagine most people have at least 1, even if they use mass transit and don't have a drivers license.

I have only had three government-issued photo IDs in my entire life.  I've never been in the armed forces or worked for the government.  I got my license at 20.  Before that I had a DMV-issued non-driver ID.  Then I got my driver's license.  Then a passport went I went abroad many years ago, which has since expired. 

The voter photo ID is not a bad idea per se, but as I said before, I don't trust the motives of the politicians backing the idea. 

I don't know about all other states, but Massachusetts driver's license are extremely hard to fake because of the hologram images and bar codes incorporated into them.  It's not impossible, just prohibitively expensive.  How would they make this voter photo ID harder to fake?
???

I hope the day doesn't come when I will have to show photo ID at the polls. 

Written By: danootaandme on 01/13/08 at 6:07 pm

Well this isn't Canada or most of Europe.  Some have compulsory voting with fines attached, how far do we want to compare.

* Argentina
    * Australia (compulsory enrollment and voting for both state* and national elections)
    * Belgium
    * Brazil (non-compulsory for 16 & 17 year olds and those over 70)
    * Chile
    * Cyprus
    * Ecuador
    * Fiji
    * Greece
    * Liechtenstein
    * Nauru
    * Peru
    * Singapore
    * Switzerland
    * Uruguay
    * Turkey

Written By: La Roche on 01/13/08 at 6:22 pm

Well this isn't Canada or most of Europe.  Some have compulsory voting with fines attached, how far do we want to compare.

* Argentina
    * Australia (compulsory enrollment and voting for both state* and national elections)
    * Belgium
    * Brazil (non-compulsory for 16 & 17 year olds and those over 70)
    * Chile
    * Cyprus
    * Ecuador
    * Fiji
    * Greece
    * Liechtenstein
    * Nauru
    * Peru
    * Singapore
    * Switzerland
    * Uruguay
    * Turkey

The thought of compulsive voting in America is a sobering concept.

For the most part, the ignorant morons stay away from the polls, I'd like to keep it that way. Well, what I'd actually like to do is encourage voter turnout in large metropolitan areas where chances are the citizens would be more informed and reduce voter turnout in backwards-azz rural areas.. but that's just me.

Written By: Macphisto on 01/13/08 at 6:27 pm

You don't let the fox fix the lock on the henhouse door!!!

Jeeezusaitchchrist!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/rolleyes.gif

You still didn't answer my question.  Is our government really that much more incompetent than those of Canada, the U.K., and several Western European nations?  If you really believe that to be true, then you really ought to move to a place like Canada.  I know I would if I thought that.

I think, with the right leadership and policies, tighter identity standards aren't such a bad thing -- especially when it comes to voting.

Written By: La Roche on 01/13/08 at 6:30 pm

You still didn't answer my question.  Is our government really that much more incompetent than those of Canada, the U.K., and several Western European nations?  If you really believe that to be true, then you really ought to move to a place like Canada.  I know I would if I thought that.

I think, with the right leadership and policies, tighter identity standards aren't such a bad thing -- especially when it comes to voting.

But the fact remains that by doing this, it opens the whole system up to abuse.

Somebody like you.. or I for instance would almost certainly have no issue here but there are millions that would.

Written By: Macphisto on 01/13/08 at 6:32 pm

But the fact remains that by doing this, it opens the whole system up to abuse.

Somebody like you.. or I for instance would almost certainly have no issue here but there are millions that would.

Elaborate.  Give some examples that would be relevant here.  I'm just curious.

Written By: Macphisto on 01/13/08 at 6:36 pm

it just seems foolish to give this government more power over the people when we've seen what a travesty it's made of the power it's gotten already. which i guess goes back to, do you trust michael chertoff? it just seems to me we need to hold off on any sweeping reforms of any kind till we get this current lot out of office because they dont seem to have gotten anything right up to now and i dont see any reason to think they'd handle this issue any differently.

Agreed, but...  Bush isn't in office that much longer, and unless the Democrats royally screw up this campaign (like nominating Hillary), they will likely win the White House.

Also, let's also consider the fact that apparently a large portion of the public trusts the government with their healthcare (by supporting socialized healthcare), so how is trusting them with an ID any more threatening?

Written By: La Roche on 01/13/08 at 6:37 pm

Elaborate.  Give some examples that would be relevant here.  I'm just curious.

Ever go to any rural county?

"All you black folks look the same, I need to some other I.D.... son."

Written By: Macphisto on 01/13/08 at 6:40 pm

I live in NC.  I'm surrounded by rural areas...  lol

Seriously, I know what you're saying, but that happens in some urban areas too, like in Florida during the 2000 election.

I think we can agree that this is a problem that will occasionally occur regardless of whether or not we have a national ID.  I think the good outweighs the bad here, because it will help us more readily identify the millions of illegal immigrants here.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/13/08 at 7:56 pm

Worries me.  You will read about it in the paper if they try to stop me, but thousands will have shotguns shoved in there mouths and will be told to just go home.

Written By: La Roche on 01/13/08 at 8:10 pm

I live in NC.  I'm surrounded by rural areas...  lol

Seriously, I know what you're saying, but that happens in some urban areas too, like in Florida during the 2000 election.

I think we can agree that this is a problem that will occasionally occur regardless of whether or not we have a national ID.  I think the good outweighs the bad here, because it will help us more readily identify the millions of illegal immigrants here.

One thing I think you're overlooking. Most illegals immigrants have no desire to vote... seriously. I've never ever heard about this being an issue, even if it was, I'd rather have Juan voting than Jim Bob.

Worries me.  You will read about it in the paper if they try to stop me, but thousands will have shotguns shoved in there mouths and will be told to just go home.

Exactly, why create more opportunities for this to happen.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/14/08 at 1:51 am

You still didn't answer my question.  Is our government really that much more incompetent than those of Canada, the U.K., and several Western European nations?

Yes.

If you really believe that to be true, then you really ought to move to a place like Canada.  I know I would if I thought that.
For one thing, you can't just pick up and move to a country of which you are not a citizen.  What's more, I'm an American.  My ancestors arrived at Plymouth Rock in 1620.*  I am angry at my government, but that doesn't mean I want to leave my country.  My brother and his old lady are talking about baling out and have extended the invitation to me; however, things will have to get much worse than they are now.

I am not sold.  I want a government that will watch over the people, not watch the people.

* Contrary to stereotype, most people with ancestors on the Mayflower don't lounge around at the Harvard Club and talk through their noses.  Most are average Joes like me.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/14/08 at 6:33 am

If you really believe that to be true, then you really ought to move to a place like Canada.  I know I would if I thought that.

This was a mantra of the right in the 60s.  American-Love it or Leave it.  Crap then and crap now.  The implication is that if you disagree with the power structure than you cannot possible love the country.  It isn't the country and its precepts we disagree with, it is specific practices by those in power.  This is America, and because it is, and because I am an American I can, and because I love it here, will stay and be the thorn in the side of people I believe are downgrading the democracy my ancestors died to give me.

Written By: Tia on 01/14/08 at 8:01 am

Agreed, but...  Bush isn't in office that much longer, and unless the Democrats royally screw up this campaign (like nominating Hillary), they will likely win the White House.

Also, let's also consider the fact that apparently a large portion of the public trusts the government with their healthcare (by supporting socialized healthcare), so how is trusting them with an ID any more threatening?
i dont think anyone is suggesting a "socialized" system. what they're proposing is a public system that exists as an alternative to a private system for those who cant afford it. i dont think anyone is saying the private companies should be eliminated, and even if someone were, the companies themselves wouldnt stand for it. so the comparison here really doesn't work.

i dont mean this in any kind of mean way but if you find yourself using fox-news-style catchphrases like "socialized healthcare" you should maybe take a minute and examine your own preconceptions before you post something. because usually use of phrases like that means someone hasn't thought the issue out adequately, IMO, and then people have to go back and correct sorta obvious stuff, like the difference between a "public" system and a "socialized" one. this isn't stuff we really need to go through again, the prespammersiteness of phrases like "socialized mhealthcare" in this context, you know?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/14/08 at 1:39 pm

I'm going to add my two cents to the "love it or leave it" argument. As a few people have already said, that argument is total bullcrap. I think you REALLY love your country when you want to make it better and this country can be so much better. I think that the so-called "radicals" who want to see universal health care, who want to see EVERYONE in this country have an equal shake, are more patriotic that those b*stards in Washington who are destroying this nation by eroding that one thing that holds us together-the Constitution.

Ok, end of rant.

Cat

Written By: Macphisto on 01/14/08 at 5:58 pm

One thing I think you're overlooking. Most illegals immigrants have no desire to vote... seriously. I've never ever heard about this being an issue, even if it was, I'd rather have Juan voting than Jim Bob.

You'd rather have someone illegally here vote than a legal citizen do it?... 

Written By: Macphisto on 01/14/08 at 6:00 pm

Yes.

For one thing, you can't just pick up and move to a country of which you are not a citizen.  What's more, I'm an American.  My ancestors arrived at Plymouth Rock in 1620.*  I am angry at my government, but that doesn't mean I want to leave my country.  My brother and his old lady are talking about baling out and have extended the invitation to me; however, things will have to get much worse than they are now. I am not sold.  I want a government that will watch over the people, not watch the people.

* Contrary to stereotype, most people with ancestors on the Mayflower don't lounge around at the Harvard Club and talk through their noses.  Most are average Joes like me.

I know what you're saying, but seriously.  If the government really is as bad as you say it is, then wouldn't being a Ron Paul supporter make the most sense?  If the government really is that incompetent, then miniimizing government should be your utmost goal.

Written By: La Roche on 01/14/08 at 6:08 pm

I know what you're saying, but seriously.  If the government really is as bad as you say it is, then wouldn't being a Ron Paul supporter make the most sense?  If the government really is that incompetent, then miniimizing government should be your utmost goal.

This is sort of backwards logic. I too am in favor of smaller government (for the most part) but that doesn't mean to say that larger government can't be improved.

Written By: Macphisto on 01/14/08 at 6:33 pm

This is sort of backwards logic. I too am in favor of smaller government (for the most part) but that doesn't mean to say that larger government can't be improved.

Eh...  I guess the best way to simplify my position is that I would prefer the government create a more secure form of identification than the ones we currently have, and biometrics would be a good avenue to explore.

Here is an example: http://www.tomshardware.com/site/flash_videos/fujitsu_palm_id_device.html

Written By: Macphisto on 01/14/08 at 6:44 pm

i dont think anyone is suggesting a "socialized" system. what they're proposing is a public system that exists as an alternative to a private system for those who cant afford it. i dont think anyone is saying the private companies should be eliminated, and even if someone were, the companies themselves wouldnt stand for it. so the comparison here really doesn't work.

i dont mean this in any kind of mean way but if you find yourself using fox-news-style catchphrases like "socialized healthcare" you should maybe take a minute and examine your own preconceptions before you post something. because usually use of phrases like that means someone hasn't thought the issue out adequately, IMO, and then people have to go back and correct sorta obvious stuff, like the difference between a "public" system and a "socialized" one. this isn't stuff we really need to go through again, the prespammersiteness of phrases like "socialized mhealthcare" in this context, you know?

But you're still dodging the fact that plenty of programs are supported by the Left that require quite a bit more faith in the government than something like a more secure form of ID.  I see it as degrees of trust rather than in terms of intentions, because I think we can at least agree that the morality of most politicians is lacking.

That being said, it's much easier for me to trust the government implementing this than to trust them with everyone's healthcare.  Granted, I too would like an alternative to our current system.  I'm just not sure exactly how much control I want to give the government on this.  If anything, we should just make HMO's more liable for coverage and make it harder for them to deny people that coverage.  We also need to regulate pharmaceutical companies more.

Written By: La Roche on 01/14/08 at 7:22 pm

Eh...  I guess the best way to simplify my position is that I would prefer the government create a more secure form of identification than the ones we currently have, and biometrics would be a good avenue to explore.

Here is an example: http://www.tomshardware.com/site/flash_videos/fujitsu_palm_id_device.html

Fair enough, but dude, I just got my new UK passport, it cost me nearly $300 because it's biometric. Compare that to the $69 I just paid to renew my US passport.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/14/08 at 9:02 pm

Turns out Ron Paul is a racist, but that's a topic for another thread. 

You are demonstrating how profoundly right-wing propaganda has affected you.  The lie the right-wing perpetuates is the portrayal of "government" as a superhuman malevolent force.  Politics is power, government is who's in charge.  That's all.  The right-wing knows this, that is why they seek to reduce the power of popular representative government as much as possible while stepping up the influence of corporations, banks, and trading houses.  Government does not get minimized, power merely shifts and public resources get grabbed by fewer and richer hands. 

Government is far more invasive and watchful to citizens today than it was before the right-wingers began their 30-year date rape of this country with the election of Ronald Reagan.  Remember, Bill Clinton was just a conservative with liberal talking points. 
::)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/14/08 at 10:09 pm

Turns out Ron Paul is a racist, but that's a topic for another thread. 

No, it turns out whoever wrote in Ron Paul's newsletter back in 1993-1994 (probably either Lew Rockwell or Gary North) was a racist.  And that Paul really should have paid more attention to what was going out with his name at the top.

Plus this issue died a long time ago.  The democrats and their nominee, Lefty Morris, beat Paul over the head with that newsletter during Paul's 1996 congressional race.  It was basically their only campaign issue.  And obviously it failed.

It's sad that people who swear they don't fear Paul and say he has no chance have to revive that stale smear.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/14/08 at 11:41 pm

No, it turns out whoever wrote in Ron Paul's newsletter back in 1993-1994 (probably either Lew Rockwell or Gary North) was a racist.  And that Paul really should have paid more attention to what was going out with his name at the top.

Plus this issue died a long time ago.  The democrats and their nominee, Lefty Morris, beat Paul over the head with that newsletter during Paul's 1996 congressional race.  It was basically their only campaign issue.  And obviously it failed.

It's sad that people who swear they don't fear Paul and say he has no chance have to revive that stale smear.

I don't believe that for a minute.  An editor knows what's in his newsletter, unless he's a damn fool, which Paul is not.  These were not subtle digs at African-Americans, this was out and out nasty.  He let Lew Rockwell contribute to his newsletteter?  I shudder to think of his cabinet appointments!
:D
Anyway, the question is moot.  Ron Paul is finished, but his name is kept alive on call-in shows just like Lyndon LaRouche and Howard Stern before him!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/15/08 at 10:05 am

I don't believe that for a minute.  An editor knows what's in his newsletter, unless he's a damn fool, which Paul is not.  He let Lew Rockwell contribute to his newsletteter?  I shudder to think of his cabinet appointments!
:D
Anyway, the question is moot.  Ron Paul is finished....

The point is Ron Paul did not write it.  And frankly, that's good enough for me.  Actions speak louder than words and Paul is promising to free the most people, including black people, since Lincoln.  How so?  His recent promise to pardon all non-violent drug users from prison.

Ron Paul's presidential campaign is done (it was done when he didn't place in the top three in Iowa), but that won't stop me from voting for him and supporting him as the best candidate.  And it won't stop Paul from hitting the issues (ending the Iraq war, securing the borders, having a sound monetary policy, etc.) in the remaining debates.  Ron Paul is not finished as a congressman though.  He'll still be up there in Washington fighting the left and the fraud neoconservatives for probably years after this.

Written By: Macphisto on 01/16/08 at 7:30 pm

You are demonstrating how profoundly right-wing propaganda has affected you.  The lie the right-wing perpetuates is the portrayal of "government" as a superhuman malevolent force.  Politics is power, government is who's in charge.  That's all.  The right-wing knows this, that is why they seek to reduce the power of popular representative government as much as possible while stepping up the influence of corporations, banks, and trading houses.  Government does not get minimized, power merely shifts and public resources get grabbed by fewer and richer hands. 

It sounds like you and I actually agree then.  I don't trust the government very much, but I do believe it has certain roles that it has to play to protect things like rights.  However, I brought up Ron Paul to show you what logically follows given the extreme distrust you have for the government when it comes to IDs and such.

Here's how I see it.  I believe that a universal healthcare system would require more competency and trust in the government than a national ID would.  An ID may affect people's lives, but a healthcare system literally has people's lives in the balance -- with the government running things.

So the question here is not one of being left wing or right wing but of how much trust you put in the government.  At the same time, I realize that the government is about the only balancing force in our society against corporations.  So, I think we can agree that the government has to be there to enforce things like antitrust laws and protect consumer rights.  What is more debatable is whether or not it should run our healthcare system.  In addition, this ID is, of course, up for debate.

Let me help explain where I'm coming from on this.  In the private sector, there are several developing trends in identification.  In the constant battle against identity theft, certain retailers across the First World have integrated facial biometrics to not only keep track of spending habits (to know when to send an associate with help in making a purchase) but also to curb theft.

If we implemented more biometrics in the criminal justice system, it would vastly decrease the odds of people being falsely accused (or framed).

So, overall, my question is: is it really that bad for the government to have better ways to identify us if the private sector has already begun to do this themselves?  While we can agree that government should only be trusted to a certain degree, it sounds like we also agree that corporations are not to be trusted much.  So, with the way things currently are, we trust the private sector more in America than we do the government.  In the EU, things are exactly the opposite.

Either way, in the modern world, we are forced to at least trust one or the other.  Privacy, for better or worse, is a rapidly depleting right throughout the First World.

Government is far more invasive and watchful to citizens today than it was before the right-wingers began their 30-year date rape of this country with the election of Ronald Reagan.  Remember, Bill Clinton was just a conservative with liberal talking points. 
::)

Perhaps, but as I think we will agree again, the private sector has done much more to injure the rights of the individual than the government has.  Besides, as bad as Reagan might have been, at least we're long past the days when the government looked the other way when strikes ended in mass murder.

As creepy and depressing as it sounds, I'd rather be watched by the government than murdered.  Imagine how the WGA strike would have ended if it had occurred in the early 1900s.  As corporate as the world might be right now, it's still much better than the days of the Gilded Age and the first half of the 20th Century.

Check for new replies or respond here...