» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Hyphenated Justice

Written By: danootaandme on 01/11/08 at 6:48 pm

So this guy,he was 23 but the news continually refers to him as a student or kid to make him sound younger, was walking on a Cambridge street.  He was drunk, it was cold out and a couple of guys in a parked car laughed at him because he was obviously drunk and he was in flip flops on a cold night in early spring.  He turned and got into a verbal altercation, he went over and opened the car door and started a fight.  When he started losing the fight he pulled a knife and stabbed an 18 year old Michael Colono, from the housing project, who died.  He left the scene, called a friend and arranged an alibi.  When they started to get on his trial he turned himself in.

His name is Alexander Pring-Wilson, a Harvard student, his mother a former prosecutor or something like that.  Connections up the wazoo.  The first trial he was guilty, out on appeal, granted a second trial, hung jury, and now has pleaded guilty.  Got 2 years. Now the question we must ask is, if Michael Colono had been 23 and stabbed an 18 year old Alexander Pring-Wilson to death how long do you think he would be serving?

Subject: Re: Hyphenated Justice

Written By: snozberries on 01/11/08 at 7:11 pm

good point... that who justice is blind thing always seems to backfire when the scales are unevenly balanced.

this goes for celebs, children of the wealthy and/or well connected and then those who are the wealthy and/or well connected.

The problems lies in two arenas.... one the well connected are taking care of each other so they make deals to keep their clients on the streets...

the other side of it is the wealthy can afford much better defense attorneys. Those deep pockets can keep the prosecutor's office tied up for years. Plus the attorneys are better educated and have plenty of minions looking for loopholes

It's definitely a  system that needs a swift kick in the rear.

The one that always got me was the Orange County (CA) Sheriff who's son was arrested for rape.  261 of the California Penal Code defines rape as forcible sex on someone against their will or on a party who is incapable of giving consent. ie the person is developmentally disabled, inebriated or incapacitated in some way...

in this case the girl was drunk and passed out.  the kid (or his friend) recorded the act on video. The sheriff excused his son's actions saying that the girl was drunk.  Well guess what Mr. Sheriff... according to the laws you dutifully swore to uphold to serve the state of CA your son is guilty by definition.

Written By: saver on 01/11/08 at 8:29 pm

At times, it isn't always the 'priveleged' getting a break. I've got a relative I hope will get justice in Virginia in which, due to the county/township rules, they get the same judge to determine the penalty in an ongoing divorce case. Numerous times the judge ordered the husband to pay a certain amount, he didn't was brought up before the 'same' judge who has to handle the case autoimatically,(maybe later she can collect court fees), but  until it's resolved, he still didn't pay. The judge tells him he needs to pay or face penalties, he didn't make a dent in what was owed, the wife has to pay each time he is taken to court and is strapped for cash. They know where he works but is paid under the table or to another named person. The only way to get a better hearing is take it to a higher court or campaign to get the judge thrown off the bench...but he isn't doing that for everyone, everyone has their own situation with him and just waits for theirs to settle.

If I knew anyone in the law in VA to reveal this guy I would have helped try to bring it to the publics attention...now can only talk of it..unless the newspaper can do an expos`e.

BOO VIRGINIA!!!    8-P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/11/08 at 9:05 pm

So this guy,he was 23 but the news continually refers to him as a student or kid to make him sound younger, was walking on a Cambridge street.  He was drunk, it was cold out and a couple of guys in a parked car laughed at him because he was obviously drunk and he was in flip flops on a cold night in early spring.  He turned and got into a verbal altercation, he went over and opened the car door and started a fight.  When he started losing the fight he pulled a knife and stabbed an 18 year old Michael Colono, from the housing project, who died.  He left the scene, called a friend and arranged an alibi.  When they started to get on his trial he turned himself in.

His name is Alexander Pring-Wilson, a Harvard student, his mother a former prosecutor or something like that.  Connections up the wazoo.  The first trial he was guilty, out on appeal, granted a second trial, hung jury, and now has pleaded guilty.  Got 2 years. Now the question we must ask is, if Michael Colono had been 23 and stabbed an 18 year old Alexander Pring-Wilson to death how long do you think he would be serving?

25 to life for second degree.
::)

Remember a guy named Michael Skakel?  How about Robert Chambers? Violent troublemakers hob-nobbing among the privileged.  Mr. Pring-Wilson will be out in 18 months (I doubt he'll serve even the full two years) and he'll only be 20.  He just might off somebody else in an alcholic rage, then not even his WASPy peerage will save him from going to the clink for a long, long time! 

Used to be kids in the projects killed other kids in the projects and kids at Harvard killed other kids at Harvard, I don't kow about this kinda homicidal busing scheme!
;)

Written By: danootaandme on 01/12/08 at 5:41 am

Remember a guy named Michael Skakel?  How about Robert Chambers? Violent troublemakers hob-nobbing among the privileged.  Mr. Pring-Wilson will be out in 18 months (I doubt he'll serve even the full two years) and he'll only be 20. 

minor correction, he will be 29.  He was 23 when he committed the crime, it has been 4 years since the crime,  the victim was 19.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/12/08 at 5:45 am

At times, it isn't always the 'priveleged' getting a break. I've got a relative I hope will get justice in Virginia in which, due to the county/township rules, they get the same judge to determine the penalty in an ongoing divorce case. Numerous times the judge ordered the husband to pay a certain amount, he didn't was brought up before the 'same' judge who has to handle the case autoimatically,(maybe later she can collect court fees), but  until it's resolved, he still didn't pay. The judge tells him he needs to pay or face penalties, he didn't make a dent in what was owed, the wife has to pay each time he is taken to court and is strapped for cash. They know where he works but is paid under the table or to another named person. The only way to get a better hearing is take it to a higher court or campaign to get the judge thrown off the bench...but he isn't doing that for everyone, everyone has their own situation with him and just waits for theirs to settle.

If I knew anyone in the law in VA to reveal this guy I would have helped try to bring it to the publics attention...now can only talk of it..unless the newspaper can do an expos`e.

BOO VIRGINIA!!!    8-P

This is pretty SOP when it comes to divorce.  I think divorce/custody are probably the only times when you see skewed justice cut across all income barriers. 

Written By: Macphisto on 01/12/08 at 3:47 pm

Sometimes, you can enact real justice with a sniper rifle, but you didn't hear that from me....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/12/08 at 8:26 pm

Sometimes, you can enact real justice with a sniper rifle, but you didn't hear that from me....

I most emphatically disagree.

Check for new replies or respond here...