» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Bill O'Reilly claims there's no homeless vets

Written By: Tia on 01/17/08 at 1:29 pm

billo just claimed that the homeless veteran phenomenon is some kind of hoax. this has got to be the stupidest man on televisiion.

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/01/16/oreilly-to-schultz-if-you-know-where%e2%80%99s-a-veteran-sleeping-under-a-bridge-you-call-me-immediately-and-we-will-make-sure-that-man-does-not-do-it/

Subject: Re: Bill O'Reilly claims there's no homeless vets

Written By: McDonald on 01/17/08 at 2:27 pm

I used to listen to Ed Shulz all the time on Sirius Left. A good show, but I never imagined he'd look like that.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/17/08 at 3:19 pm

The sad part is the vets that are at home listening to him, boosting his ratings, and agreeing with him

Written By: Jessica on 01/17/08 at 5:16 pm

Give me Billy Boy's number. I can show him all the homeless vets that live around here and under the Skyway connection. F**ker. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/17/08 at 7:05 pm

This is why Stephen Colbert is redundant. 

Right-wing protocol for addressing human suffering:

a. Blame the victim.
b. Blame the Democrats.

If neither a. nor b. is politically expedient

c. Pretend it doesn't ext.
:D

Written By: Davester on 01/17/08 at 7:45 pm

Nothing that passes BO's lips should be taken seriously.  Reactionary bunk.  He's a madman...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/17/08 at 7:49 pm

Nothing that passes BO's lips should be taken seriously.  Reactionary bunk.  He's a madman...

"Madman" is too romantic a term.  The guy's just another loud mouth a-hole.  He's got a TV show for his loony ranting, not just a dive bar.
::)

Written By: Davester on 01/17/08 at 7:54 pm

"Madman" is too romantic a term.  The guy's just another loud mouth a-hole.  He's got a TV show for his loony ranting, not just a dive bar.

Hiya Max...

He's actually fun to watch.  I used to watch the "No Spin Zone" every day, on time and without fail.  Very entertaining.  I was never convinced that he actually believes in most of what he says...

Reactionary and inflammatory blather from those thin lips...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/17/08 at 8:06 pm

Hiya Max...

He's actually fun to watch.  I used to watch the "No Spin Zone" every day, on time and without fail.  Very entertaining.  I was never convinced that he actually believes in most of what he says...

Reactionary and inflammatory blather from those thin lips...

Yeah, I watch him too.  Our Billy is a tireless crusader...for the rich and powerful!

(Tonight he said America's poor have it pretty good because they all have color TVs!)

You know who his sponsor was tonight?  A company called "Waste Management," I sh*t you not!
;D

Written By: Davester on 01/17/08 at 8:18 pm

Yeah, I watch him too.  Our Billy is a tireless crusader...for the rich and powerful!

(Tonight he said America's poor have it pretty good because they all have color TVs!)

You know who his sponsor was tonight?  A company called "Waste Management," I sh*t you not!
;D

Heh, you said waste management...

Funny you mention that.  Lots of old, decrepit houses around town.  Falling apart, peeling paint, dry rot, but I'll be damned if all of them don't have a big, shiny dish on the roof..!

"Cruisin' in my bubbleback Pacer, windows rolled down so it looks like a racer..!" :D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/17/08 at 9:18 pm

Bill O'Reilly is a twit.  He can never really back up his claims and his favorite words are "just shut up."  Anyhow my brother is a Gulf War vet and he was homeless for years until the V.A. declared him 100% disabled.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/18/08 at 12:28 am

Bill O'Reilly is a twit.  He can never really back up his claims and his favorite words are "just shut up."  Anyhow my brother is a Gulf War vet and he was homeless for years until the V.A. declared him 100% disabled.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother.  Sounds like he pulled through.  What p#ssed me off about Bill Orally was when others challenged him, he basically said, "OK, there are a lot of homeless veterans, but most of them have substance abuse problems or mental health issues."
Oh fuh-Q, Bill!  As if...as if...struggling with a drug problem or a psychiatric illness makes a homeless veteran more dismissable.  Bill-O was trying to attack John Edwards' assertion that economic issues is a cause for homelessness among vets.  Maybe....juuuuust maybe...the two are related.  It's hard to hold down any job when you've got PTSD from watching children burn to death!  Maybe after you get back home you hit the bottle trying to drown out terrifying memories.  Maybe the addiction to painkillers for your injuries skyrockets out of control.  One thing you can't do if you're homeless: Get better. 

It is only a fraction of homeless people--veterans or otherwise--who are literally "on the street."  You got a cot at the Salvation Army, you're still homeless.  Maybe you're sleeping on the couch at your sister's place and she doesn't really want you there, but you're family (I was once in that very predicament) and, yeah, you're homeless.  You're homeless because you have no legal standing to stay under that roof. 

BTW, after others in the media talked about him telling people to "shut up," Bill Orally looked straight into the camera and said, "I never told anyone to 'shut up' on this program." So the producers on Olbermann's show compiled a two-minute montage of Bill-O telling guest to "shut up" and variations thereof....
:P

Written By: Davester on 01/18/08 at 1:02 am

Shut up from YourTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrNl6-j9x5w

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/18/08 at 12:46 pm

We turn on Bill O'Reilly from time to time. I find myself getting angry listening to him and I think what really makes me angry is because:

1. He is spewing hate and lies.
2. People believe him-and they in turn hate.

It really pisses me off when he makes a reference about drinking kool aid. Every time he says something to the effect, in my mind it congers the image of Jonestown. Yeah, he thinks he is so witty and cleaver for using that phrase but in my mind, he is being so low it is unreal.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/18/08 at 7:12 pm

Shut up from YourTube...

The sad thing is, I saw most of those as they happened!
:-[

Billy-boy is a weak man with a sissy ego.  I thought he was going to lunge at Franken that time on BookTV.  Putting BillO and Franken on the same panel?  What were they thinking?  Franken could make the Dalai Lama wanna slam him!  If Franken tells you you're wrong, he's all "nyah-nya-na-nyah-nyah" about it.  BillO is still the big dumb kid in the schoolyard.

The mistake Jeremy Glick made was leaving the FOX building when the producers told him to.  They said they were afraid BillO was going to beat him up.  He should have let BillO belt him a few times, then hold a press conference with his fresh shiner and say, "I went on O'Reilly's show and look what he did to me...and my dad died on 9/11!  This guy's got a hate complex!"

We're about to see Homeless Veterans for Truth.  If the "Get BillO" faction plays it right, this could be the worst thing for BillO in 11 years!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/18/08 at 7:16 pm

Shut up from YourTube...

Thanks, now I'm going to have nightmares for weeks. :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/18/08 at 7:22 pm

Thanks, now I'm going to have nightmares for weeks. :P

Hey, nobody asked you, so shut up!

http://www.ideagrove.com/blog/uploaded_images/oreillyface-727911.jpg

And kudos to whoever got the low-down on Sean.  I always thought so!

http://www.offensivestuff.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/hannity.jpg

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/18/08 at 7:26 pm

Hey, nobody asked you, so shut up!

http://www.ideagrove.com/blog/uploaded_images/oreillyface-727911.jpg

Bill looks like he's gonna cry in that picture.  As for Sean, he needs lessons on crossdressing and make-up.

Written By: Davester on 01/18/08 at 7:26 pm

*hatin'hatin'hatin' grumblegrumblegrumble...* >:( >:( >:(

Watched Hannity & Combs, too.  "Can I disagree with you once in awhile your majesty..?"  

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/18/08 at 7:37 pm

*hatin'hatin'hatin' grumblegrumblegrumble...* >:( >:( >:(

Watched Hannity & Combs, too.  "Can I disagree with you once in awhile your majesty..?"  

Alan Colmes is the Steppin Fetchit of liberalism.

As for Sean, why doesn't somebody tell Roger Ailes it's not nice to exploit the mentally handicapped!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/18/08 at 7:41 pm

Alan Colmes is the Steppin Fetchin of liberalism.

Colmes is Fox's token "Liberal".  Pitiful really.

Written By: Tia on 01/21/08 at 12:49 pm

Alan Colmes is the Steppin Fetchit of liberalism.

As for Sean, why doesn't somebody tell Roger Ailes it's not nice to exploit the mentally handicapped!
case in point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ_2foaEax4

mr. hannity appears to have a very tenuous hold on reality.

Written By: Davester on 01/21/08 at 5:14 pm

case in point.

Trade the eerie music for a laugh track and the piece takes on a whole new meaning...

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/21/08 at 6:55 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your brother.  Sounds like he pulled through.  What p#ssed me off about Bill Orally was when others challenged him, he basically said, "OK, there are a lot of homeless veterans, but most of them have substance abuse problems or mental health issues."
Oh fuh-Q, Bill!  As if...as if...struggling with a drug problem or a psychiatric illness makes a homeless veteran more dismissable.  Bill-O was trying to attack John Edwards' assertion that economic issues is a cause for homelessness among vets.  Maybe....juuuuust maybe...the two are related.  It's hard to hold down any job when you've got PTSD from watching children burn to death!  Maybe after you get back home you hit the bottle trying to drown out terrifying memories.  Maybe the addiction to painkillers for your injuries skyrockets out of control.  One thing you can't do if you're homeless: Get better. 

It is only a fraction of homeless people--veterans or otherwise--who are literally "on the street."  You got a cot at the Salvation Army, you're still homeless.  Maybe you're sleeping on the couch at your sister's place and she doesn't really want you there, but you're family (I was once in that very predicament) and, yeah, you're homeless.  You're homeless because you have no legal standing to stay under that roof. 

But..but... are you saying...there are homeless people in America??? There are poor people in the greatest nation in the world???

You're all kidding me 'cause you don't want any more immigrants to run to you,right?

Written By: saver on 01/21/08 at 10:20 pm

I guess he just doesn't explain himself well or else that was a wave of backpeddaling...I know with the average street beggar I come across in LA many are druggies and mentally ill, thanks to Ronald Reagn letting them to roam the streets...but there is no reason a person cannot have food -when they ask for money these days..I tell them frankly, there are at least 13 food banks in this city GIVING FREE food away, then the beggar says they just want money to buy something from the store nearby..you do a better service directing those panhandlers to the nearest foodbank that will help them more than a handout.

Here's irony, I saw a panhandler the other day wearing a watch...what's that about? They have to be somewhere on time?  :o   

Written By: danootaandme on 01/22/08 at 6:20 am

I guess he just doesn't explain himself well or else that was a wave of backpeddaling...I know with the average street beggar I come across in LA many are druggies and mentally ill, thanks to Ronald Reagn letting them to roam the streets...but there is no reason a person cannot have food -when they ask for money these days..I tell them frankly, there are at least 13 food banks in this city GIVING FREE food away, then the beggar says they just want money to buy something from the store nearby..you do a better service directing those panhandlers to the nearest foodbank that will help them more than a handout.

Here's irony, I saw a panhandler the other day wearing a watch...what's that about? They have to be somewhere on time?  :o   

Do they have veterans shelters where you live? That is where the homeless veterans tend to congregate. The mentally ill tend to be suspicious of food banks, they are afraid they are there to poison them...they are mentally ill. Rational answers to the most basic questions are beyond them.  And about the watch...I hope it was meant to be tongue in cheek, if not it just demonstrates a crippling lack of knowledge of the homeless, who they are and why they are there.

Written By: saver on 01/22/08 at 8:23 pm

Do they have veterans shelters where you live? That is where the homeless veterans tend to congregate. The mentally ill tend to be suspicious of food banks, they are afraid they are there to poison them...they are mentally ill. Rational answers to the most basic questions are beyond them.  And about the watch...I hope it was meant to be tongue in cheek, if not it just demonstrates a crippling lack of knowledge of the homeless, who they are and why they are there.

I did not look into specifics..I guess all shelters are for everyone-then there are the 'homeless kids' shelters, that wouldn't mix older people with them..
I recall near the Vet. Admin. building you would see many from time to time begging on the off ramps with 'homeless Vet' signs...some later were found to make up whatever war they 'could have' been in.. and these days..who couldn't do that with all the mini wars in the world, so it waters down whether vets are  any different..there is a sector of homeless we sometimes don't hear about and that is the ones who CHOSE to be homeless..I too, have run into a couple of them , as they refused to pay income tax, so they live in the green mountains, come down and beg and go back up...another popular story that went around was a guy who walked the streets for years and was contacted as his brother died and left him $100,000. He wouldn't take it because he knew the streets and didn't care to get tied into the system...

But talk has been renewed to get the homeless  off the streets but in LA there are about 80,000...if you offer to send some to Colorado,they refuse as they want to remain in their familiar upbringing...now that's picky!   

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/22/08 at 8:54 pm

case in point.

Think about what got people in trouble in the Bible:
Greed, envy, vanity, lust, vindictiveness, hypcrisy, materialism, misappropriation and misuse of Holy Words, lack of compassion, lack of hospitality....
I mean, this is stuff you see on Sean Hannity's show night in night out.  Sean loves to talk about his Roman Catholic faith, but the Catholics don't go for any predestination mumbo-jumbo.  It's not enough to accept Christ as your Lord and Savior.  Jesus wants you to, you know, follow His plan, at least try!  Remember Matthew 19:24?  I dunno, maybe Sean met Jesus in the sandals section at Barney's and Jesus gave him a get-out-hell-free card!

Regarding the mentally ill and homelessness, there are no easy answers.  I can tell you this much, if the stock market went up a point for every homeless person who became securely sheltered, well fed, and gainfully employed THERE WOULD BE NOOOOO HOMELESS AMERICANS!!!!!

Written By: danootaandme on 01/23/08 at 5:54 am

I did not look into specifics..I guess all shelters are for everyone-then there are the 'homeless kids' shelters, that wouldn't mix older people with them..
I recall near the Vet. Admin. building you would see many from time to time begging on the off ramps with 'homeless Vet' signs...some later were found to make up whatever war they 'could have' been in.. and these days..who couldn't do that with all the mini wars in the world, so it waters down whether vets are  any different..there is a sector of homeless we sometimes don't hear about and that is the ones who CHOSE to be homeless..I too, have run into a couple of them , as they refused to pay income tax, so they live in the green mountains, come down and beg and go back up...another popular story that went around was a guy who walked the streets for years and was contacted as his brother died and left him $100,000. He wouldn't take it because he knew the streets and didn't care to get tied into the system...

But talk has been renewed to get the homeless  off the streets but in LA there are about 80,000...if you offer to send some to Colorado,they refuse as they want to remain in their familiar upbringing...now that's picky!   

You can "one guy" this and "one guy" that any story.  That is not the truth of the majority.  Yes, they do have facilitiles for runaway teens specifically.

Let me see, you are in LA, you are homeless, it is 70-80 degrees in December.  In Colorado you can freeze to death.  Maybe, just maybe they have something there.

Check for new replies or respond here...