» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: We'll probably end up borrowing this $150 billion from the Chinese...

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/25/08 at 1:51 pm

"We'll probably end up borrowing this $150 billion from the Chinese, and when we get those rebate checks, most people are going to go out and buy stuff that's been imported from China"

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/01/25/civility_marks_republican_debate/

how sad is the Republican party, that this was the only sane voice of reason about Bush's tax rebate nonsense?

Subject: Re: We'll probably end up borrowing this $150 billion from the Chinese...

Written By: Tia on 01/25/08 at 1:54 pm

china's divided into provinces, right? maybe if we're nice to them they'll let us become a chinese province.

imagine my shock when i learned that the goverment was going to respond to this very real economic crisis with the cookie-cutter solution of... wait for it... tax cuts.  ::) why aren't we dragging these cats out from behind their desks and throwing them in paddywagons?

Subject: Re: We'll probably end up borrowing this $150 billion from the Chinese...

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/25/08 at 2:25 pm

"We'll probably end up borrowing this $150 billion from the Chinese, and when we get those rebate checks, most people are going to go out and buy stuff that's been imported from China"

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/01/25/civility_marks_republican_debate/

how sad is the Republican party, that this was the only sane voice of reason about Bush's tax rebate nonsense?

I'm putting this blame to 'Tricky-Dick' Nixon. He gave them trade to China and Bush is only adding fuel to the fire.

Even though Nixon may be dead, he still has tricks up his sleeve.

Written By: Macphisto on 01/25/08 at 9:08 pm

Oh wow...  Huckabee is actually the sensible one this time, although Ron Paul is more consistently sensible (except for that ridiculous creationism thing he's into and that racist newsletter he once had).

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/25/08 at 9:54 pm

Oh wow...  Huckabee is actually the sensible one this time, although Ron Paul is more consistently sensible (except for that ridiculous creationism thing he's into and that racist newsletter he once had).

yeah yeah, but the Ron-bots will quickly tell you he didn't write the racist stuff, he just let someone write it and put his name on it.  This is the same guy who thinks people should be required to read the bills they vote on right?  A good idea of course, but maybe he should have started a little closer to home first.

It's easy to shout no over and over again.  That's Ron Paul's appeal.

Written By: Tia on 01/26/08 at 3:56 am

yeah yeah, but the Ron-bots will quickly tell you he didn't write the racist stuff, he just let someone write it and put his name on it.  This is the same guy who thinks people should be required to read the bills they vote on right?  A good idea of course, but maybe he should have started a little closer to home first.

It's easy to shout no over and over again.  That's Ron Paul's appeal.
so just say no to ron paul, saying no? i dunno, if it came down to paul vs. hillary, i'd probably vote for ron paul. im so weary of the establishment status quo i could spit.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/26/08 at 11:27 pm

so just say no to ron paul, saying no? i dunno, if it came down to paul vs. hillary, i'd probably vote for ron paul. im so weary of the establishment status quo i could spit.

I'd rather die by cyanide (Paul) than arsenic (Hillary).  Arsenic takes a lot longer to t do the same job.

china's divided into provinces, right? maybe if we're nice to them they'll let us become a chinese province.

imagine my shock when i learned that the goverment was going to respond to this very real economic crisis with the cookie-cutter solution of... wait for it... tax cuts.  ::) why aren't we dragging these cats out from behind their desks and throwing them in paddywagons?

My sentiments exactly.  This $300 rebate is like an abusive parent bribing a battered child with a new toy.  People are frightened and hurting out there.  That's why Christian evangelism is such an easy sell.  The banks tell us we're irresponsible and television tells us we're ugly.  Along come the evangelicals.  I've seen their work.  They don't tell their marks they're full of sin and going to hell, not at first.  They say, "God made you special, God cares, Jesus loves you just the way you are," and they give the convert a shoulder to cry on.  After that it's all about abortion and end-times and George W. Bush is a man of God.  The convert forgets Bush pushes the entire economic agenda that ruined his career, his town, his marriage, sold him on a sham mortgage, and high-interest credit cards; he never learns the credit card companies were Bush's biggest contributors and the new bankruptcy legislation gives his creditors the right to harrass him 'till the day he dies.  Don't get me started on Iraq, Wal-Mart, and others. 

I said before the rebate feels to me like the arsonist who burned my house down giving me a new set of curtains. 

But don't worry, they'll find a way to screw the working class out of that $300 anyway.  Just watch....

Americans need debt relief and living-wage jobs.

Written By: Tia on 01/27/08 at 6:27 am

I'd rather die by cyanide (Paul) than arsenic (Hillary).  Arsenic takes a lot longer to t do the same job.

i've been watching a lot of ron paul's stuff and i have to admit, i'm about to drink the kool-aid. i don't agree with him on everything by any means but some of the things he says that seem scary on their face -- i'm thinking specifically of abolishing the dept of ed -- make a little more sense if you tease them out. i mean, obviously i'd more support reforming than abolishing the dept of ed but what you have to realize is that it all starts with education and a big part of the reason the neocons were able to deluge america with BS and have it work is that the educational system doesn't teach kids critical thinking or give them a well-rounded familiarization with the history of human thought and works. and if you believe the government is invested in managing, not nurturing, the people, you have to realize that controlling the educational system is the best way to do that. i don't know the best way to proceed in terms of changing the educational system so that it doesn't mass-produce sycophants but the first step when digging a hole is to stop digging, yah?

anyway, with kucinich out paul is the last true reformer in the race. i think paul should take on kucinich as running mate. :P

Written By: Macphisto on 01/27/08 at 3:18 pm

Tia, it shouldn't be surprising that you might like some of Paul's stances.  He's anti-corporate in a different way from liberals, but that still makes him quite different from the neocons as well.

I used to support Paul myself until I found out he's a creationist and when I slowly embraced the reality that many of his ideas are absurd.  I think Paul's got the right general idea -- smaller government and more states' rights.  I just don't necessarily agree with his method of attaining these things.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/27/08 at 7:23 pm

The way the Right goes about things, they'd get rid of the Department of Education but critical thinking skills would continue to deteriorate...unless Paul was willing to force class issues into the spotlight, which I don't see him doing.

This is part of class warfare.  Families like the Bushes want a society composed of a small, wealthy, upwardly mobile class, and a gigantic functionally illiterate proletariat deep in debt to the upper class.

Recommended documentary:

Maxed Out

http://www.maxedoutmovie.com/

Check for new replies or respond here...