» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Canadian is the new code word for racists to use instead of the N-word

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/27/08 at 11:20 am

http://www.nationalpost.com/most_popular/story.html?id=261254

gee how clever...

Subject: Re: Canadian is the new code word for racists to use instead of the N-word

Written By: whistledog on 01/27/08 at 11:29 am

Man, that's the dumbest thing I ever heard.  I hope it doesn't catch on further

Subject: Re: Canadian is the new code word for racists to use instead of the N-word

Written By: danootaandme on 01/27/08 at 11:35 am

(Harris County District Attorney)Mr. Trent told Fox News ..... "It would not be impossible or unusual for people from other countries to be on our juries," he said. "That's what I was told, and I took it as the literal meaning."    ::)  Who the expletive deleted is he expletive deleted.  >:(

Written By: McDonald on 01/27/08 at 11:40 am

That's the most bizarre thing I have heard all week.

Written By: Macphisto on 01/27/08 at 3:04 pm

Canadians, they're everywhere!  Dear lord, they're moving into our neighborhoods and impregnating our daughters.  They drive down our property values and sell drugs on the corner.  We've got to secure the Canadian border!

Frankly, I find this rather funny...  I mean, despite its implications, I have to give them credit for being creative.  Still, this should prove quite clearly that it's not a word like ni**er or Canadian that should be so offensive to people -- it's the use of the word that should matter.

Hell, Mexican is now considered a slur by some.  It just goes to show that censoring certain words isn't going to change anything.  Ni**er is no more powerful and offensive than Canadian, if you use the latter in the same way.  Michael Richards could have yelled, "Look! There's a Canadian!", and if people understood the implications at the time, it would have been equally as much of a big deal.

Of course, if Louis Farrakhan calls white people "devils", then it's A-OK to Al Sharpton.  Sharpton himself even slurs Jews when given the chance.

So maybe Marilyn Manson was right when he said, "Everybody's someone else's ni**er."  Every group seems to have someone to blame their problems on, with their own set of slurs to match.  Canadian just happens to be the latest slur.

That being said, I like Canadians, and maybe we'll have a Canadian president soon, with any luck.  I know I'll be voting for him.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/27/08 at 4:22 pm

It just goes to show that censoring certain words isn't going to change anything.  Ni**er is no more powerful and offensive than Canadian, if you use the latter in the same way.

No

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/27/08 at 6:51 pm

They've been watching too much South Park.

Parker and Stone have used Canada as a code for scapegoat a few times. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/27/08 at 6:56 pm

Oh for Pete sake that is so lame.  It's also a double offense. :P

Check for new replies or respond here...