» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: the cuss word filter...

Written By: Tia on 01/30/08 at 8:39 am

...which is in fact one of my favorite things about this, my favorite ever messageboard. i really mean that, as someone who cusses like a sailor i like being made to come up with alternatives to cuss words and coming up with different ways to express myself.

but...! one of my favorite things is teasing out some of the fun substitutions the mods put in for our favorite late-night terms. for instance, " (I_am_a_loser_who_has_no_respect_for_women) " happens to be one of the favored terms of one of the greatest classic writers of all time. see if you can place this particular bit of verse...

" And by this proverb shall you understand:
Since you've enough, why do you reck or care
How merrily all other folks may fare?
For certainly, old dotard, by your leave,
You shall have (I_am_a_loser_who_has_no_respect_for_women) all right enough at eve.
He is too much a niggard who's so tight
That from his lantern he'll give none a light.
For he'll have never the less light, by gad;
Since you've enough, you need not be so sad."

:o

omg, tia's blushing.

anyway, i see this as a fun thread to talk about the filters on inthe00s, the C-bomb, the F-bomb, the N-bomb, etc.

or it will be another thread i start that dies a quick but horrible death. either one. :P

anyway, keep it clean, y'all!

(and here's a tip to the mods: you could save a lot of work by just substituting "smurf" for every offensive term.)

Subject: Re: the cuss word filter...

Written By: karen on 01/30/08 at 8:59 am

I think 'they' changed one of my favourite swear word substitutions.  Apparently to allow it!

slut used to be changed to 'a very friendly person'

Also bitch was changed to 'a pregnant female dog' and then later became just witch.  Now it looks as though I can use this word as well.

Written By: Tia on 01/30/08 at 9:03 am

I think 'they' changed one of my favourite swear word substitutions.  Apparently to allow it!

Also bitch was changed to 'a pregnant female dog' and then later became just witch.  Now it looks as though I can use this word as well.

i prefer "very friendly person". that's awesome. they should change it back. even though yeah, "slut" is very PG.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/30/08 at 9:23 am

I like substituting smurf for all the cuss words. ;D

Written By: KKay on 01/30/08 at 10:29 am

i prefer "very friendly person". that's awesome. they should change it back. even though yeah, "slut" is very PG.

i not only enjoy how the words are automatically filtered and replaced, but how you yourself began using these or making your own.
You always type "shizzle" or ..shoot what's the other one you always use?...i'll have to go look at PMs. I like how you've adapted.

Written By: Tia on 01/30/08 at 10:40 am

i not only enjoy how the words are automatically filtered and replaced, but how you yourself began using these or making your own.
You always type "shizzle" or ..shoot what's the other one you always use?...i'll have to go look at PMs. I like how you've adapted.
sheesh. i like the word "sheeshy." it's just not a word you're gonna encounter much in nature. ;)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/30/08 at 11:07 am

Guess that makes you think twice about posting on the Smurf thread. :D

Written By: Tia on 01/30/08 at 11:27 am

Guess that makes you think twice about posting on the Smurf thread. :D
reminds me of that SNL skit they posted on that thread with slutty smurf on it. i mean smurfy smurf. i couldnt decide if that was hilarious or deeply misanthropic and horrifying.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/30/08 at 11:46 am

reminds me of that SNL skit they posted on that thread with slutty smurf on it. i mean smurfy smurf. i couldnt decide if that was hilarious or deeply misanthropic and horrifying.

The line when she tells Papa Smurf she has to mastu . . . I mean smurfurbate.  My vote is for horrifying in a hilarious way.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/30/08 at 12:09 pm

(and here's a tip to the mods: you could save a lot of work by just substituting "smurf" for every offensive term.)

The profanity filter is automatic - mods don't do all that editing by hand!

Love the idea, but unfortunately it's not quite that simple . The censor page can only change a word to one other word (example: "damn" to "smurf"). Damn isn't on the list, but for the ones that are I'd have to change all of the changed words (like "sheesh") to "smurf-something", essentially doubling the list. That's because if I remove what's there a good portion, if not all, of what was previously censored would no longer be.

We didn't do an April Fool's joke this year with the profanity filter because doing so in 2006 got a bit messy when trying to change "J-uvmber" back to "April".

Tia, I can't place your verse, but I see where the auto censor does ruin its meter.  ;D

Smurfin' A! That's a smurfin' idea.  8)

Ant

Written By: Tia on 01/30/08 at 12:11 pm

believe it or not, that's geoffrey chaucer. they teach that stuff at school!

Written By: karen on 01/30/08 at 12:25 pm

believe it or not, that's geoffrey chaucer. they teach that stuff at school!

Them damn Brits again!

Actually in times past the word was not considered swearing at all.  Allegedly there was a street in London called Grope(I_am_a_loser_who_has_no_respect_for_women) Lane

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/30/08 at 3:50 pm

Didn't Shakespeare drop the C-Bomb?

Written By: Tia on 01/30/08 at 3:53 pm

there's a (I_am_a_loser_who_has_no_respect_for_women)-country pun in "hamlet," i know.

Written By: snozberries on 01/31/08 at 1:45 am

Oddly enough I had shown enough restraint on these boards so I didn't know there was a filter until two days ago...or was it yesterday

I had a whole lot of fun figuring out which words were filtered and which (MF) were not...

might want to think about that last one Ant

you could change it to Smurfette Lover.  ;D 

Written By: Red Ant on 01/31/08 at 1:50 am

Oddly enough I had shown enough restraint on these boards so I didn't know there was a filter until two days ago...or was it yesterday

I had a whole lot of fun figuring out which words were filtered and which (MF) were not...

might want to think about that last one Ant

you could change it to Smurfette Lover.  ;D 

I could have sworn that one was already on the list... well, it is now. "Smurfette Lover" it is!

Ant

Written By: snozberries on 01/31/08 at 2:08 am

I could have sworn that one was already on the list... well, it is now. "Smurfette Lover" it is!

Ant

It depends on how you type it...

with a space (two words)
mother fudgeer

without the space (one word)
Smurfette lover

Written By: McDonald on 01/31/08 at 1:02 pm

Is it me, or does the censor seem a bit more permissive on this board? I guess the only way to find out is to do a bit of experimentation. Hope no one minds. Allow me to apologise in advance to anyone who cares.

Let's see which ones get changed...

damn
goddamn
damned

sheesh
sheeshty
sheeshe
sheeshhead

fudge
fudgeer
motherfudgeer
fudgeing
fudgehead

dick
butthead
dickface
cock
cocksucker
(I_am_a_loser_who_has_no_respect_for_women)
pussy
twat
queef
douche
douche bag

arse
ass
asshole
arsehole

jackass
tosser
tosspot
wanker
git

slut
whore
ho
tramp
trollop

***for these very offensive slurs that follow, I sincerely do apologise - this is just an experiment***

fag
queer
bugger
spick
wetback
kike
heeb
wog
chink
wop

Written By: Tia on 01/31/08 at 1:07 pm

smurfette lover?

Written By: McDonald on 01/31/08 at 1:11 pm

I don't like the replacement for the C-word. It's judgemental first off (just because you use the word, doesn't mean you're a loser with no respect for women), and it presumes that the poster is American and understands the word the way Americans do. Whereas elsewhere in the English-speaking word, a man can be called a C-word a lot more easily than a woman, and it's much less offensive.

I'm not saying the word should be allowed, just that there should be a better and more appropriate replacement programmed in.

The only slurs that were totally cut out were the N-word, and the longer form of the word fag.

And yeah, instead of MF-er, we get Smurfette lover.

Written By: Tia on 01/31/08 at 1:12 pm

boy have we ever had loads of fun with the filter for the C-word. ;D

Written By: karen on 01/31/08 at 1:16 pm

This thread needs to be linked with the other one in PPP.  Then some of this would make a bit more sense.  I'm fairly sure that the C was changed to that specifically because of one member.  Smurfette lover is also explained there.

Is it me, or does the censor seem a bit more permissive on this board?

It's got better.  When I first came here it was v strict.  Chucky had a thread a few years back listing some of the ones we thought could become acceptable.

and it presumes that the poster is American and understands the word the way Americans do.

Likewise Ashcroft.  I had no idea what this meant

Written By: snozberries on 01/31/08 at 4:52 pm

smurfette lover?

I guess Tia doesn't read my posts  :\'(

Written By: Tia on 01/31/08 at 4:55 pm

I guess Tia doesn't read my posts  :\'(

oops, heh heh.  :-[ i dont think i saw it cuz it's at the bottom of a page. a lot of times those can be easy to miss.

anyway, propz for creativity!  :D

Written By: snozberries on 01/31/08 at 4:58 pm

oops, heh heh.  :-[ i dont think i saw it cuz it's at the bottom of a page. a lot of times those can be easy to miss.

anyway, propz for creativity!  :D

Thanks!

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/31/08 at 11:40 pm

Ever try Dago or Polack?

Written By: Macphisto on 02/01/08 at 8:35 pm

This looks like fun...   Bush is a (I_am_a_loser_who_has_no_respect_for_women)

Let's see if it works...

EDIT:  Nice...  So, I wonder how long it will be before Canadian becomes a filtered word.

Written By: nally on 02/01/08 at 8:37 pm

This looks like fun...   Bush is a (I_am_a_loser_who_has_no_respect_for_women)

Let's see if it works...

Gee...I wonder which word was intended there?? :o ??? :-X

Edit: Before I typed this post, I tried typing in a certain word that might be objectionable and again it said "I_am_a_loser_who_has_no_respect_for_women"!

Does it censor ALL cuss words like that now?

Written By: karen on 02/02/08 at 4:01 pm

Edit: Before I typed this post, I tried typing in a certain word that might be objectionable and again it said "I_am_a_loser_who_has_no_respect_for_women"!

nally.  :o Didn't know you knew such words

Written By: Tam on 02/02/08 at 4:05 pm

There is only one word on the censor list that generates that quote! ;)

Now there is another one that might still be missed because it is looking for it to be spelled a certain way

fudgein

Gotta love it!!! 8) ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/02/08 at 11:02 pm

Now there is another one that might still be missed because it is looking for it to be spelled a certain way

(i_idiotically_tried_to_break_the_rules_by_using_profanity)

Gotta love it!!! 8) ;D

oh man what is that word?

Written By: nally on 02/03/08 at 1:07 am

(i_idiotically_tried_to_break_the_rules_by_using_profanity)

Gotta love it!!! 8) ;D

I think I know which one that is. :o

Written By: Red Ant on 02/03/08 at 1:42 am

I don't like the replacement for the C-word. It's judgemental first off (just because you use the word, doesn't mean you're a loser with no respect for women)

This is true, however, the person who used this word displayed an outstanding lack of judgement by using it toward a female member in a derrogatory manner, hence why it reads as it does.

"Bugger" is an odd one in that, here, it greatly depends on the part of speech it is as to whether or not it's offensive. The past tense of the verb form is something I self-censored when I included it in a parody.

oh man what is that word?

Rhymes with truckin'.

~~~

I know we're having fun with this topic, but please do not look for or invent any more variations of the f word that might pass the auto-censor.

Ant

Written By: snozberries on 02/03/08 at 3:33 am

~~~

I know we're having fun with this topic, but please do not look for or invent any more variations of the f word that might pass the auto-censor.

Ant

who me?  ::) I am an  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/angel2.gif

Written By: karen on 02/03/08 at 2:19 pm

Rhymes with truckin'.

cookin'
lookin'
suckin'

???
;D

"Bugger" is an odd one in that, here, it greatly depends on the part of speech it is as to whether or not it's offensive. The past tense of the verb form is something I self-censored when I included it in a parody.

Another one that I suspect is slightly more acceptable in the UK than here, when used as a generic swear word when something goes wrong.

Written By: Tam on 02/03/08 at 2:22 pm

who me?  ::) I am an  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/angel2.gif

Ya, and I can see the dented halo your little angel is wearing right there!!!!
;) ;D 8)

Written By: nally on 02/03/08 at 2:29 pm

We didn't do an April Fool's joke this year with the profanity filter because doing so in 2006 got a bit messy when trying to change "J-uvmber" back to "April".

Actually, I think that "Ju-Vember" thingy was done last year, 2007. The profanity filter was also messed with in April 2005 with "t-e-h" and Chucky's name being changed to Scmucky (I had to intentionally misspell it, otherwise it would have come out as Chuck). April Fools 2006 didn't involve the cussword filter at all; it was just Chuck resurrecting the Becks account.

Written By: snozberries on 02/04/08 at 12:35 pm

Ya, and I can see the dented halo your little angel is wearing right there!!!!
;) ;D 8)

no fudgein' way.....oops... you caught me  ;D

Written By: nally on 02/04/08 at 12:49 pm

no (i_idiotically_tried_to_break_the_rules_by_using_profanity)' way.....oops... you caught me  ;D

;D

What the (blank)? ;D

Written By: MrCleveland on 02/05/08 at 5:10 pm

That's how I feel about Hillary, she's a (I_am_a_loser_who_has_no_respect_for_women)!

Written By: nally on 02/05/08 at 5:13 pm

That's how I feel about Hillary, she's a (I_am_a_loser_who_has_no_respect_for_women)!

Again, I say, what the (blank)? ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/05/08 at 10:13 pm

Could be worse.  "Here, Mom, let me get your fanny pack" is probably not something you want to say in the UK.

As for that other word.  Roy "Chubby" Brown said it best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjufrmE7GY8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2yY92c5CGM

...and he also used the word "fanny" in context.  :)

Written By: Marian on 02/07/08 at 3:10 pm

Wow."pregnant female dog"actually sounds more insulting.!

Written By: nally on 11/02/09 at 1:27 pm

Sorry to bump up this thread again, but it seems we have some issues with the profanity filter again. I just tried typing the name "H-u-g-g-i-n-s" on another thread (without hyphens), and it replaced three of those letters with the string "chinesecrap"...what's that all about? ::)

Written By: Red Ant on 11/02/09 at 2:29 pm

Sorry to bump up this thread again, but it seems we have some issues with the profanity filter again. I just tried typing the name "H-u-g-g-i-n-s" on another thread (without hyphens), and it replaced three of those letters with the string "chinesecrap"...what's that all about? ::)

We got spammed this morning, and "U-G-G" is the trigger for "chinese crap". I'll see if I can adjust it so that it doesn't affect words with u-g-g in them.

Ant

Written By: nally on 11/02/09 at 2:30 pm

We got spammed this morning, and "U-G-G" is the trigger for "chinese crap". I'll see if I can adjust it so that it doesn't affect words with u-g-g in them.

Ant

Thanks! :)

Written By: Red Ant on 11/02/09 at 2:32 pm

It's fixed now.

Ant

Written By: karen on 11/02/09 at 2:34 pm

Is that so we can't mention a certain brand of boots?

Written By: Red Ant on 11/02/09 at 2:40 pm

Is that so we can't mention a certain brand of boots?

No, it is so that the craploads of links the Chinese spammers leave are all automatically broken. Members can discuss those brand of boots, and the normal rule about skirting the profanity filter with ascii, phonetics, etc does not apply to that word.

Ant

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/02/09 at 2:48 pm

No, it is so that the craploads of links the Chinese spammers leave are all automatically broken. Members can discuss those brand of boots, and the normal rule about skirting the profanity filter with ascii, phonetics, etc does not apply to that word.

Ant
Are there any other words still out there?

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/02/09 at 4:33 pm

Are there any other words still out there?

I thought I wrote something to list out all the banned words... but I couldn't find it anywhere, so I guess I didn't.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/02/09 at 4:37 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/images/censored.gif

here's the latest stuff in a screen grab... mostly spammers

Written By: Step-chan on 11/02/09 at 7:42 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/images/censored.gif

LOL at I'm emo. That's a good one. ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/02/09 at 8:02 pm

that's Red Ant for ya...

Written By: Red Ant on 11/02/09 at 11:03 pm

Thanks. I even wrote a poem for the Canadian Viagra spammer:

I'm emo when online and a
I am an emo in Canada
I'm emo so I nag ya
I'm emo without Viagra
I'm emo so I'm buying
Lots of pills I am trying
I'm emo by description
I'm emo without a prescription
I'm so emo that I got banned
Now it's down the road not across the hand

**stab, stab, bleed, bleed**

Ant

Written By: Step-chan on 11/02/09 at 11:22 pm

that's Red Ant for ya...

Yep.  :)

Also a good way to describe those sex-pill selling dudes.

Written By: nally on 11/02/09 at 11:45 pm

I thought I wrote something to list out all the banned words... but I couldn't find it anywhere, so I guess I didn't.

I seem to recall that there was a link to such a list some years ago, but it can't be found anymore.

yeah, that's quite a list. :o

Written By: snozberries on 11/03/09 at 6:28 pm

by viagra  ha ha I beat you!  :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/03/09 at 6:50 pm

Yeah, but you ain't him, now get your nasty ass over to detention hall!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/smash.gif

Written By: snozberries on 11/03/09 at 7:55 pm

Yeah, but you ain't him, now get your nasty ass over to detention hall!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/smash.gif

I hate when you make me give you karma  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...