» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: It's The Economy, Stupid

Written By: danootaandme on 02/01/08 at 11:41 am

So the media is now reporting the fact that the economy is taking.  Well no kidding.  Funny,  a lot of us liberal chicken littles have been saying that for quite a while.  All those storefronts that have been emptying out, people walking the Mall without buying, looking for work where there isn't any. 

www.nytimes.com/2008/02/01/business/01cnd-econ.html?em&ex=1202014800&en=3dbc77aeceda1254&ei=5087%0A

Subject: Re: It's The Economy, Stupid

Written By: Tia on 02/01/08 at 12:07 pm

the budget for next year is going to slash entitlements and social programs and pour more money into defense and border security. and billo is denying that homeless vets exist. it's like even though the government's front teeth are rotted out they still cant seem to put down the meth pipe.

might be time to put a little money in gold.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/01/08 at 2:22 pm

More like "It's stupid economics." 

There is one problem with the economic philosophy we have been practicing since Reagan came in:  It doesn't work. 
Never has.  Never will.
::)

Mr. Bush said he was confident of the economy’s fundamental strength but that the employment report showed reasons for concern. “I think government can take decisive action to help us deal with this period of uncertainty,” he said.

You traitor!  You Big Government Liberal! 
:D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/01/08 at 3:10 pm

We know that the problem with the economy is because of all the illegal immigrants running around. It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that corporations are moving jobs to China or India, that banks are making sure that many people lose their homes, that the idiots in Washington let the market run things and not prevent abuses. Oh, and it not because of huge tax cuts for the wealthy and having to pay for an unless mistake of a war.

BLAME THE MEXICANS!!!!!

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/01/08 at 7:19 pm

We know that the problem with the economy is because of all the illegal immigrants running around. It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that corporations are moving jobs to China or India, that banks are making sure that many people lose their homes, that the idiots in Washington let the market run things and not prevent abuses. Oh, and it not because of huge tax cuts for the wealthy and having to pay for an unless mistake of a war.

BLAME THE MEXICANS!!!!!

Cat

It's like Bill Orally was saying last night, they ain't buildin' that border fence fast enough, what's takin' 'em?

Why don't they hire the Chinese to build the border fence?  I hear they got a pretty good one over there!

Written By: Macphisto on 02/01/08 at 8:30 pm

BLAME THE MEXICANS!!!!!

Cat

I blame Mexico, China, and good old fashioned American greed.  It's an unholy trinity of economic stupidity.  Just ask Lou Dobbs.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/02/08 at 5:58 am

I blame Mexico, China, and good old fashioned American greed.  It's an unholy trinity of economic stupidity.  Just ask Lou Dobbs

The only one to blame is ourselves.

Written By: Tia on 02/02/08 at 9:32 am

plus, why would i ask lou dobbs anything? ;D

Written By: tv on 02/02/08 at 1:49 pm

BLAME THE MEXICANS!!!!!

Cat
I hate to come to the defense of illegal immagrants but they do jobs that Americans don;t want to do. I agree the war was a mistake. I don;t know about the tax cut though having to do with the sliding ecomomy because everybody gets the tax cut not just the rich.

We are not in a recession yet so I wouldn't panic just yet though about the current ecomomy's state.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/02/08 at 2:36 pm

I hate to come to the defense of illegal immagrants but they do jobs that Americans don;t want to do. I agree the war was a mistake. I don;t know about the tax cut though having to do with the sliding ecomomy because everybody gets the tax cut not just the rich.

We are not in a recession yet so I wouldn't panic just yet though about the current ecomomy's state.

I probably should included in my above post: SARCASM!!!

This economy is in the toilet because corporations are sending jobs overseas where they only have to pay workers about 50 cents a day. As for illegal immigrants doing jobs that Americans won't do is totally b.s. Americans won't do it for the price that employers are willing to pay. I'm sure there would be many Americans willing to shovel s**t if they got paid a decent wage. But when employers do not pay even minimum wage-of course people don't want that job. But illegal immigrants are desperate and will take anything they can get-and employers are willing to take advantage of their desperation. And then you have people like Lou Dobbs and others who blame the victim so to speak. And why are there so many illegal immigrants in this country? Because of trade agreements like NAFTA which made it impossible for small farmers in Mexico to compete with big American farms-so they come to the U.S. to get jobs on those big farms. The whole situation is just a mess. And you have people in Washington and in the media who just want to put a band aid on the situation instead of FIXING the problem-that was caused by them in the first place.

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 02/02/08 at 3:12 pm

I probably should included in my above post: SARCASM!!!

This economy is in the toilet because corporations are sending jobs overseas where they only have to pay workers about 50 cents a day. As for illegal immigrants doing jobs that Americans won't do is totally b.s. Americans won't do it for the price that employers are willing to pay. I'm sure there would be many Americans willing to shovel s**t if they got paid a decent wage. But when employers do not pay even minimum wage-of course people don't want that job. But illegal immigrants are desperate and will take anything they can get-and employers are willing to take advantage of their desperation. And then you have people like Lou Dobbs and others who blame the victim so to speak. And why are there so many illegal immigrants in this country? Because of trade agreements like NAFTA which made it impossible for small farmers in Mexico to compete with big American farms-so they come to the U.S. to get jobs on those big farms. The whole situation is just a mess. And you have people in Washington and in the media who just want to put a band aid on the situation instead of FIXING the problem-that was caused by them in the first place.

Cat

I sometimes wish America isn't TOO Greedy. Everyone should get a piece of the pie, not a sliver like me.  :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/02/08 at 4:41 pm

I sometimes wish America isn't TOO Greedy. Everyone should get a piece of the pie, not a sliver like me.  :-\\

I wouldn't say that America is greedy-I would say that the ones who have the most are greedy because they just want more and more and more. I read in the paper today that Exxon/Moble once again have record profits while everyone here is paying more that $3 a gallon at the pump. Well, a duh-of course they are going to have record profits because they are gouging the American public. And the people in Washington who CAN do something about it, won't because the oil companies are the ones who put them in Washington in the first place and will keep them in Washington. I think that the average Joe is probably pretty generous.

Cat

Written By: Macphisto on 02/02/08 at 8:40 pm

The only one to blame is ourselves.

To a degree, yes.  To only blame ourselves is naive though.

Written By: Tia on 02/02/08 at 8:45 pm

To a degree, yes.  To only blame ourselves is naive though.
not least because a clear definition of the word "ourselves" in this context is hard to come by.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/02/08 at 9:03 pm

I wouldn't say that America is greedy-I would say that the ones who have the most are greedy because they just want more and more and more. I read in the paper today that Exxon/Moble once again have record profits while everyone here is paying more that $3 a gallon at the pump. Well, a duh-of course they are going to have record profits because they are gouging the American public. And the people in Washington who CAN do something about it, won't because the oil companies are the ones who put them in Washington in the first place and will keep them in Washington. I think that the average Joe is probably pretty generous.

Cat

Uh...yeah, that's the free market and we're not supposed to intervene in it.  Everytime government gets involed they just make the problem worse, dontcha know!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/03/08 at 2:07 pm

Uh...yeah, that's the free market and we're not supposed to intervene in it.  Everytime government gets involed they just make the problem worse, dontcha know!

Free market means that greedy people are free to run amok. I love the argument how the market is supposed to balance everything out when in fact it is equivalent to the foxes watching the hen house.  I love how the far right want government just small enough so it fits into our bedrooms.

Cat

Written By: Tia on 02/03/08 at 2:08 pm

I love how the far right want government just small enough so it fits into our bedrooms.

Cat
did you just make that up? that's a great line. 8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/03/08 at 2:14 pm

did you just make that up? that's a great line. 8)

Naw. I'm not THAT good. I actually stole the line from the show The West Wing.  :-[  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...