» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Open Primaries vs Closed Primaries-Discussion

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/04/08 at 3:21 pm

I'm not too sure what percentage of states have open or closed primaries and I'm too lazy to look it up. But, I'm wondering what people's opinion about them are. Which do you prefer and why?

As for me, I prefer open primaries-which Vermont does have. As an independent, I can choose which candidate from which party I wish to cast my vote for.

A few years ago, we had a very funny election for senator. There was this guy who came up from Mass. to challenge Pat Leahy. An old farmer named Fred Tuttle (who starred in the movie Man With a Plan-about an old farmer named Fred Tuttle who ran for Congress) decided to challenge this guy in the primary. Fred won-BY A LANDSLIDE. Then Fred supported Pat. Of course the flatlander started to cry about the open primaries. No one listened.

The debates were hysterical.  Fred ask this guy how many teats a cow had. Of course the flatlander didn't get it right. Then with the debates against Pat, Fred would respond, "Pat gave a good answer. I can't do any better than that.". The whole thing was just so funny.

What are your thoughts about primaries?

Cat

Subject: Re: Open Primaries vs Closed Primaries-Discussion

Written By: Brian06 on 02/04/08 at 3:34 pm

The system in Ohio is you choose a republican or democrat ballot, which ever you want, for each primary. Or you can choose a issues only ballot. There is no party declaration in Ohio, nobody is registered as a certain party like in a lot of other states apparently. I think it's a pretty good system. It's not exactly a totally open primary since you have to pick a party ballot if you want to vote for candiates, but it's not totally closed either since there is no party registration and you can choose whatever ballot you want.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/04/08 at 4:09 pm

In Utah you can vote on the Dem ballot if you are registered Dem or any other except Republican.  The only way you can vote for a Repub in the primary is if you are registered Repub.  I think it is dumb.  I like voting for the candidate you think would be the best for the job regardless of party.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/04/08 at 5:06 pm

Massachusetts is closed primary.  The one thing I like about an open primary is you can sabotage the other side.  Find the wingnut on the other side who can't win the general election and vote for him! 

My dad did that twice with Pat Buchanan in NH. 

:D

I remember Fred Tuttle's movie!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/04/08 at 9:54 pm

Southern states have a tradition of open primaries and run-off elections (meaning if there are more than two candidates and neither recieve a 50%+1 majority, the top two vote-getters hold another election in a couple of weeks to decide the winner).  My state allows anyone and everyone to pick which of the two major political party's primaries to vote in.

Personally I like the idea of closed primaries better.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/05/08 at 6:08 am

Massachusetts is closed primary.  The one thing I like about an open primary is you can sabotage the other side.  Find the wingnut on the other side who can't win the general election and vote for him! 

tsk tsk Max. Massachusetts is an open primary.  You have to declare yourself "unenrolled", it used to be Independent, but Independent is now a party.  If you declare yourself "unenrolled" you can  request any parties ballot.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/05/08 at 9:58 am

Yay!  I voted for Obama!

Written By: Dagwood on 02/05/08 at 12:10 pm

Yay!  I voted for Obama!

I'm going to vote Obama in about 3 hours.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/05/08 at 4:26 pm

Yay!  I voted for Obama!

OMG!!!  You did get to vote for the man.  I'm so happy for you.

President Obama does kind of have a nice ring to it. :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/05/08 at 4:27 pm

OMG!!!  You did get to vote for the man.  I'm so happy for you.

President Obama does kind of have a nice ring to it. :)

As long as it's not President Clinton or President Huckabee :D :D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/05/08 at 4:29 pm

As long as it's not President Clinton or President Huckabee :D :D

If that happens I'm moving to Canada.

Check for new replies or respond here...