» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Dobson endorses Huckabee.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/16/08 at 2:59 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080208/ap_on_el_pr/dobson_huckabee;_ylt=Ah_SUn5jqGNTtKrNmofdC3o7Xs8F

No surprise really, but it concerns me that these people will have control if Huckabee wins.  Any thoughts on this from the right, left, or middle?

Subject: Re: Dobson endorses Huckabee.

Written By: Red Ant on 02/16/08 at 3:26 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080208/ap_on_el_pr/dobson_huckabee;_ylt=Ah_SUn5jqGNTtKrNmofdC3o7Xs8F

No surprise really, but it concerns me that these people will have control if Huckabee wins.  Any thoughts on this from the right, left, or middle?

The only way Huckabee will win the nomination is if McPain dies. I don't think either of them stand a chance against either democratic candidate. And then there is Ron Paul...

Every four years, I try to figure out each candidate's position and merits. It's daunting work. This year I used Cliff Notes (wikipedia). The only point made here that I agree with is on the 2nd ammendment.

Ant

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/16/08 at 4:32 am

From the economically-right but socially dont-give-a-damn-how-many-women-die-in-back-alley-abortions-as-long-as-my-taxes-go-down, and as a supporter of the replacement of the income tax with a consumption tax (a policy which Huck supports), I'm gonna be brief and mellow abo---who am I kidding, I'm not gonna be brief or pull punches:  If Huck won the nomination, I'd support any opposing candidate including Hillary.  If he subsequently won the Presidency, within three days of the election I'd have a pile of securities from my broker, and on the fourth day, I'd be legally declaring them to the customs officials at the Canadian or Mexican border.  I'd file the requisite paperwork the the US authorities to tie up the loose ends, even though I know I'd never be coming back.  With the precedents set by Cheney, he's a deal-breaking liability even as a running mate.

Given McCain's polling numbers (and the fact that the remaining GOP base loathes McCain as much as I loathe Huckabee), we don't have to worry about the Huckster.  As fugly as this campaign's gonna get (and we're talking "two parties, one cup" levels of foulness), I thank whatever God may exist that Huck will win neither the nomination nor the Presidency.

That answer your question?  If not, I promise not to hold back next time :)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/16/08 at 5:03 am

From the economically-right but socially dont-give-a-damn-how-many-women-die-in-back-alley-abortions-as-long-as-my-taxes-go-down, and as a supporter of the replacement of the income tax with a consumption tax (a policy which Huck supports), I'm gonna be brief and mellow abo---who am I kidding, I'm not gonna be brief or pull punches:  If Huck won the nomination, I'd support any opposing candidate including Hillary.  If he subsequently won the Presidency, within three days of the election I'd have a pile of securities from my broker, and on the fourth day, I'd be legally declaring them to the customs officials at the Canadian or Mexican border.  I'd file the requisite paperwork the the US authorities to tie up the loose ends, even though I know I'd never be coming back.  With the precedents set by Cheney, he's a deal-breaking liability even as a running mate.

Given McCain's polling numbers (and the fact that the remaining GOP base loathes McCain as much as I loathe Huckabee), we don't have to worry about the Huckster.  As fugly as this campaign's gonna get (and we're talking "two parties, one cup" levels of foulness), I thank whatever God may exist that Huck will win neither the nomination nor the Presidency.

I fully agree with you.  Plus he knows nothing about foreign policy except for "most people in foreign lands ain't saved".

Written By: Macphisto on 02/16/08 at 4:52 pm

100% agreed...  +1 karma

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/16/08 at 8:17 pm

The sense I get is the Christian Right (with evil fugs like Dobson at the helm) don't want to admit they're not as popular as they thought.  They were crucial (no pun intended) in getting Reagan elected and getting Clinton impeached, so mainstream conservatives put up with them for a generation.  Now the GOP has been pushed so far to the right that Republicans such as Eisenhower, Nixon, and Goldwater (that's right Barry Goldwater) are looking like liberals by comparison.  I hear conservatives saying, "Sure, I believe in low taxes, small government, and Second Amendment rights, but I don't hate gays; I don't want my kids learning creationism in science class...enough is enough!"

BTW, if Tancredo or Brownback had a chance, Dobson would have endorsed one of those guys.  Huckabee is a little too Sermon-on-the-Mount for Dobson--too much talk about helping the poor, not enough hellfire and brimstone. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/16/08 at 8:34 pm

The sense I get is the Christian Right (with evil fugs like Dobson at the helm) don't want to admit they're not as popular as they thought.  They were crucial (no pun intended) in getting Reagan elected and getting Clinton impeached, so mainstream conservatives put up with them for a generation.  Now the GOP has been pushed so far to the right that Republicans such as Eisenhower, Nixon, and Goldwater (that's right Barry Goldwater) are looking like liberals by comparison.  I hear conservatives saying, "Sure, I believe in low taxes, small government, and Second Amendment rights, but I don't hate gays; I don't want my kids learning creationism in science class...enough is enough!"

BTW, if Tancredo or Brownback had a chance, Dobson would have endorsed one of those guys.  Huckabee is a little too Sermon-on-the-Mount for Dobson--too much talk about helping the poor, not enough hellfire and brimstone. 

There is conservatism and then there is evangelicalism.  Evangelicalism SHOULD NOT be a political platform.  It contradicts with democracy itself.  Dobson would not have endorse Brownback unless if he had no choice.  Dobson has some reservations about Catholics.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/16/08 at 8:36 pm

There is conservatism and then there is evangelicalism.  Evangelicalism SHOULD NOT be a political platform.  It contradicts with democracy itself.  Dobson would not have endorse Brownback unless if he had no choice.  Dobson has some reservations about Catholics.

Oh, that's right, that's right.  Brownback is a Catholic.  Papist heathen!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/16/08 at 8:39 pm

Oh, that's right, that's right.  Brownback is a Catholic.  Papist heathen!

Brownback's allegiance is not to God or the Republican party but the Pope.  ::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/18/08 at 10:34 pm

I hear conservatives saying, "Sure, I believe in low taxes, small government, and Second Amendment rights, but I don't hate gays; I don't want my kids learning creationism in science class...enough is enough!"

Yeah, it's actually kinda refreshing to see McCain polling well in the primaries.  For all the rage among the GOP party base (who, in their loathing of McCain and Giuliani's impiety, have lurched from supporting Hunter, to Thompson, to grudgingly accepting Romney, to this last-ditch symbolic effort with Huckabee), the numbers are pretty clear that the silent majority of sane 'pubbies were never completely purged from the Party, only silenced.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/08 at 9:57 pm

Yeah, it's actually kinda refreshing to see McCain polling well in the primaries.  For all the rage among the GOP party base (who, in their loathing of McCain and Giuliani's impiety, have lurched from supporting Hunter, to Thompson, to grudgingly accepting Romney, to this last-ditch symbolic effort with Huckabee), the numbers are pretty clear that the silent majority of sane 'pubbies were never completely purged from the Party, only silenced.

Before I focused, I thought that said they're supporting Hunter Thompson. 
:D

Too bad he offed himself, he would've made a great running mate for McCain.  With Hunter S. Thompson second in command, nobody would ever f**k with us again!
:o

Check for new replies or respond here...