» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Tom Scholz tells Huckabee to knock it off

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/16/08 at 9:57 pm

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jeEhdtLNWzxqbTQ04a0I_1LokarwD8UR7LG81

"By using my song, and my band's name Boston, you have taken something of mine and used it to promote ideas to which I am opposed. In other words, I think I've been ripped off, dude!"

As you might have heard, Mike Huckabee has been using Boston's "More than a Feeling" as an unofficial campaign theme song.  Tom Scholz, who wrote the song more than 30 years ago, doesn't like it.  Although a former member of Boston, Barry Goudreau, has appeared on stage with Huckabee, it's really Scholz's song...and Scholz is supporting Obama.

Huckabee didn't obtain permission, but I don't believe he has to, legally speaking.  Huckabee did acknowledge Scholz's displeasure by sending a Scholz a tape of Huck's own (sucky) band, Capitol Offense, performing the song.  I heard this version on the Rachel Maddow show.  I have heard garage rock bands play "More than a Feeling" over the years, and Huckabee's rendition is not the worst, but it's pretty bad!

As I see it, if you're going to play bass guitar in a dorky suit, you shouldn't choose a classic rock song, but a New Wave song.  Maybe Talking Heads' "Once in a Lifetime."  Not sure if David Byrne would just laugh or send his lawyers.
:D

(I meant to post this on the politics board, mods feel free to move it there.)

Subject: Re: Tom Scholz tells Huckabee to knock it off

Written By: Macphisto on 02/17/08 at 1:20 am

Well, they can play "Don't Look Back" when McCain wins the nomination.

Written By: limblifter on 02/17/08 at 9:45 am

He can let Obama use "Smokin".

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/17/08 at 4:00 pm

Huckabee's spokesperson said they've used Sweet Home Alabama, yet Lynard Skynard didn't endorse him.  Remember back in the 90's when Bill Clinton used Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow by Fleetwood Mac?  Not only did they endorse him but also played at the inauguration.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/17/08 at 7:49 pm

Huckabee's spokesperson said they've used Sweet Home Alabama, yet Lynard Skynard didn't endorse him.  Remember back in the 90's when Bill Clinton used Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow by Fleetwood Mac?  Not only did they endorse him but also played at the inauguration.

And after the inaguration the band played Souza's "Liberty Bell March"* for the procession to the White House.  Talk about poor choices.

If Scholz had not objected, there would be no story. 

Huckabee using a Boston song in 2008 is tantamount to a candidate using a Bing Crosby song in 1976. It's just part of the pop culture and so accepted it would seem to be politically neutral.  Baby Boomers grew up with rock 'n' roll.  It's their generation's music.  There is nothing inherently anti-establishment about rock anymore.  What's the theme to the Rush Limbaugh show?  The Pretenders' "My City Was Gone."  Rush didn't understand the song.  He thought it was "whatever happened to the good ole days?" Then when he found out the song was pointing the finger at Reaganomics, he tried to backpedal and say he was doing it to make fun of the liberals because Chrissie Hynde is an animal rights environmental whacko.  Hynde let him continue using the song on the condition that he donate the due royalties to PETA.  "My City Was Gone" is still the riff you hear in Rush's show.  Chrissie Hynde is a smart woman!

What these conservatives forget is most successful rock musicians are liberals.  Perhaps Huckabee could use a Ted Nugent song...just not sure which one.

Scholz should threaten an injunction unless Huckabee's campaign makes a donation to Planned Parenthood!
;D

This week I finally admitted to myself that I like "More than a Feeling."  It's exactly the kind of establishment arena rock I gave the finger to as a new waver, but I always was fond of the chord progressions.
:-[

* Familiar to all as the theme from Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/17/08 at 8:37 pm

And after the inauguration the band played Souza's "Liberty Bell March"* for the procession to the White House.  Talk about poor choices.

If Scholz had not objected, there would be no story. 

Huckabee using a Boston song in 2008 is tantamount to a candidate using a Bing Crosby song in 1976. It's just part of the pop culture and so accepted it would seem to be politically neutral.  Baby Boomers grew up with rock 'n' roll.  It's their generation's music.  There is nothing inherently anti-establishment about rock anymore.  What's the theme to the Rush Limbaugh show?  The Pretenders' "My City Was Gone."  Rush didn't understand the song.  He thought it was "whatever happened to the good ole days?" Then when he found out the song was pointing the finger at Reaganomics, he tried to backpedal and say he was doing it to make fun of the liberals because Chrissie Hynde is an animal rights environmental whacko.  Hynde let him continue using the song on the condition that he donate the due royalties to PETA.  "My City Was Gone" is still the riff you hear in Rush's show.  Chrissie Hynde is a smart woman!

What these conservatives forget is most successful rock musicians are liberals.  Perhaps Huckabee could use a Ted Nugent song...just not sure which one.

Scholz should threaten an injunction unless Huckabee's campaign makes a donation to Planned Parenthood!
;D

This week I finally admitted to myself that I like "More than a Feeling."  It's exactly the kind of establishment arena rock I gave the finger to as a new waver, but I always was fond of the chord progressions.
:-[

I remember the fight Chrissie Hynde had with Rush.  Didn't McCain just get yelled at for using one of John Mellencamp's songs.  I also remember back when the Young Republicans used the Beatles song Revolution as their anthem.  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/17/08 at 8:59 pm

I remember the fight Chrissie Hynde had with Rush.  Didn't McCain just get yelled at for using one of John Mellencamp's songs.  I also remember back when the Young Republicans used the Beatles song Revolution as their anthem.  ::)

Yes, Mellencamp (an Edwards supporter) asked McCain to stop playing "Our Country" and "Pink Houses" at his rallies.  It's a case of the GOP drinking its own Kool-Aid.  Ever since the "Reagan Democrats" the GOP has employed a faux populist conspiracy.  All the way back in 1984 Ronald Reagan's campaign was using "Born in the U.S.A." as a nationalist anthem.  Springsteen was similarly dismayed.  Did they even listen to the lyrics?  Springsteen and Mellencamp are patriotic populists, not jingoistic fascists.  The GOP does not know the difference.  They're tone deaf.  In 2006 Dan Quayle, a fellow Hoosier, stormed out of a John Mellencamp concert after Mellencamp criticized Dubya.  Uh, Dan, what gave you the idea Mellencamp was a Dubya fan?  OK, he sings about small towns, family, and the Heartland...but he's not a frikkn' Coors commercial or something!  Mellencamp actually loves small towns, families, and the Heartland and you, Mr. Vice President, you love money and hording more of it!

There just aren't a lot of great right-wing rock 'n' roll stars to choose from!

The Beatles' "Revolution" is anti-war and anti-violence, but only if you're a total moron can you hear it as pro-capitalist. 
::)

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/02/04/mellencamp-asks-mccain-to-stop-using-tunes/

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/17/08 at 9:08 pm

Yes, Mellencamp (an Edwards supporter) asked McCain to stop playing "Our Country" and "Pink Houses" at his rallies.  It's a case of the GOP drinking its own Kool-Aid.  Ever since the "Reagan Democrats" the GOP has employed a faux populist conspiracy.  All the way back in 1984 Ronald Reagan's campaign was using "Born in the U.S.A." as a nationalist anthem.  Springsteen was similarly dismayed.  Did they even listen to the lyrics?  Springsteen and Mellencamp are patriotic populists, not jingoistic fascists.  The GOP does not know the difference.  They're tone deaf.  In 2006 Dan Quayle, a fellow Hoosier, stormed out of a John Mellencamp concert after Mellencamp criticized Dubya.  Uh, Dan, what gave you the idea Mellencamp was a Dubya fan?  OK, he sings about small towns, family, and the Heartland...but he's not a frikkn' Coors commercial or something!  Mellencamp actually loves small towns, families, and the Heartland and you, Mr. Vice President, you love money and hording more of it!

There just aren't a lot of great right-wing rock 'n' roll stars to choose from!

The Beatles' "Revolution" is anti-war and anti-violence, but only if you're a total moron can you hear it as pro-capitalist. 

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/02/04/mellencamp-asks-mccain-to-stop-using-tunes/

"Born is the USA is a song about the dismay with the American dream and the regrets of the Vietnam War era.  So Reagan using it was beyond bizarre.  Well there's Celine Dion, but she's Canadian.  Gotta think about who can be the epitome of Right-Wing politics in music.  I could never understand how Right Wingers can make an  song to stand for a "totarian government.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/18/08 at 1:16 am

"Born is the USA is a song about the dismay with the American dream and the regrets of the Vietnam War era.  So Reagan using it was beyond bizarre.  Well there's Celine Dion, but she's Canadian.  Gotta think about who can be the epitome of Right-Wing politics in music.  I could never understand how Right Wingers can make an  song to stand for a "totarian government.

Charlie Daniels.  He'd do it.  Gotta go country~

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/18/08 at 10:59 am

Charlie Daniels.  He'd do it.  Gotta go country~

Yeah, he'll do.  Then of course there's Lee Greenwood's "Proud To Be An American".  Geez the Country music right-winger list is a mile long.  The only exception would be Willie Nelson.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/18/08 at 3:16 pm

Yeah, he'll do.  Then of course there's Lee Greenwood's "Proud To Be An American".  Geez the Country music right-winger list is a mile long.  The only exception would be Willie Nelson.

Actually, bona-fide country music is not in line with the corporate agenda, only Wal-Mart country music is...Lee Greenwood, Toby Keith, and the other clods Sean Hannity invites on his program. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/18/08 at 3:55 pm

Actually, bona-fide country music is not in line with the corporate agenda, only Wal-Mart country music is...Lee Greenwood, Toby Keith, and the other clods Sean Hannity invites on his program. 

You do have a point. The Wal-Mart country music crap didn't hit the scene till the "90's".  Not only would they be on the Sean Hannity program, but the 700 club and invited to NRA meeting to entertain gun totters. Sounds like a Republican resource to me.

Check for new replies or respond here...