» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Obama Stealing from Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/19/08 at 12:48 am

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/800015,obama021808.article

Here's the comparison:

Obama said on Feb. 16, ”Don’t tell me words don’t matter. 'I have a dream’— just words? ‘We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal’ — just words? ‘We have nothing to fear but fear itself’ — just words? Just speeches?”

Patrick, referring to his opponent, said on Oct. 15, 2006, “but her dismissive point and I hear it a lot from her staff is that all I have to offer is words, just words. ‘We hold these truths to be self-evident,’ just words? Just words? ‘We have nothing to fear itself.’ Just words? ‘Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.’ Just words? ‘I have a dream’-- just words?"

He Said, He Said: Did Obama Plagiarize Mass. Gov. Deval Patrick?

Compare YouTube videos:

Deval Patrick's "Just Words" speech from 10/15/06

Barack Obama's "Words Matter" speech this past Saturday in Wisconsin

Subject: Re: Obama Stealing from Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick?

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/19/08 at 10:16 am

Why is this even a news story?

Deval Patrick even came out and stated he was more than OK with it. Probably since both speeches were written by David Axelrod. Hillary's people when asked about whether they ever use something someone else said, wouldn't state that they don't.

Pathetic attempt to discredit Obama. mindlessly parroted by the opponents.  Hillary and McCain are getting real nervous.  Especially since they both appear to be picking up the "change" theme that Obama began with six months ago.  They're both afraid that if Obama gets the nomination, he'll basically win it all.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/19/08 at 10:56 am

Pathetic attempt to discredit Obama. mindlessly parroted by the opponents.  Hillary and McCain are getting real nervous.  Especially since they both appear to be picking up the "change" theme that Obama began with six months ago.  They're both afraid that if Obama gets the nomination, he'll basically win it all.

I really doubt McCain is nervous about Obama.  Obama has a three point lead nationwide over McCain, 46-43 with all the media attention, talking about nothing but change and hope.  When it gets into substance and experience, Obama ain't winning anything.  And all that is only IF Clinton doesn't massacre Obama in the delegate-rich states of Texas, Ohio and Pennsylvania, as looks likely, and the if the superdelegates (which she currently leads in) don't select her at the convention.

Plus McCain has a 16 point lead over Obama (53 to 37) in the key state of Florida.

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/19/08 at 11:29 am

I really doubt McCain is nervous about Obama.  Obama has a three point lead nationwide over McCain, 46-43 with all the media attention, talking about nothing but change and hope.  When it gets into substance and experience, Obama ain't winning anything.  And all that is only IF Clinton doesn't massacre Obama in the delegate-rich states of Texas, Ohio and Pennsylvania, as looks likely, and the if the superdelegates (which she currently leads in) don't select her at the convention.

Plus McCain has a 16 point lead over Obama (53 to 37) in the key state of Florida.

Obama currently has a three point lead over Hillary in Texas.  He trailed her by a full 20 points or more in Maine, last year and he still won the state quite easily a couple weeks ago.  Hillary suffers the same problem Ghoulani did.  The more people hear the message, the less they like the candidate.

In Florida, Obama could have a 40 point lead over McCain and still lose considering the history of voting in that state. Obama has also not campaigned in Florida due to their further manipulation of the voting process and moving their primary up.  The more Obama campaigns in a state, the quicker his numbers improve.

When it gets into substance and experience, McCain's past voting history should be enough to sink him at the polls. He's barely beating Huckabee now that Romney left, and frankly Huckabee is not electable outside of the south.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/08 at 11:51 am

It does not fit the definition of "plagiarism."  Obama acknowledges using Patrick's words and Patrick approves. 

This is the kind of dopy BS the right-wing dirty tricks machine will continue to pull until they figure out how to steal the '08 election.
::)

Written By: Jessica on 02/19/08 at 11:54 am

It does not fit the definition of "plagiarism."  Obama acknowledges using Patrick's words and Patrick approves. 

This is the kind of dopy BS the right-wing dirty tricks machine will continue to pull until they figure out how to steal the '08 election.
::)

Hillary started it. ;)

I have nothing to say. Chucky and Max covered it all.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/19/08 at 12:11 pm

Obama currently has a three point lead over Hillary in Texas.

Texas: Clinton 54% Obama 38%

Written By: Jessica on 02/19/08 at 12:19 pm

Really?

Texas: Clinton 50% Obama 48%

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/08 at 12:22 pm

Hillary started it. ;)

This is a good point.  Hillary has one of the highest ABA rankings of any lawyer in the country.  She ought to know better.  Maybe she's a little bit desperate.
???

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/19/08 at 12:25 pm

Really?

Texas: Clinton 50% Obama 48%

That's still a lead.

Rasmussen: Clinton 54%, Obama 38%
Survey USA: Clinton 50%, Obama 45%
Insider Advantage: Clinton 48%, Obama 41%
TCLU/Hamilton: Clinton 49%, Obama 41%

Source

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/19/08 at 12:26 pm

That's what I would call an outlier poll... most of the polls show a much closer race.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/poll-tracker.htm

click the Texas tab.  CNN and USA Today place them within two points.  I can't find the poll that showed Obama ahead a week ago.

Wisconsin is today, which is what matters most for this week.  Obama leads Hillary by almost 10 points.  The more victories leading up to Texas Obama wins, the more it carries through to the next state.  After today's victories, the machine will focus on the next states, where all Hillary has going for her, is name recognition.

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/19/08 at 12:32 pm

That's still a lead.  I remember quoting a part about Obama having a three point lead over Clinton in Texas.

Rasmussen: Clinton 54%, Obama 38%
Survey USA: Clinton 50%, Obama 45%
Insider Advantage: Clinton 48%, Obama 41%
TCLU/Hamilton: Clinton 49%, Obama 41%

Source

fine fine... I looked for it... here's one, it was 6%.

http://americanresearchgroup.com/pres08/txdem8-702.html

I'd say based on the number of polls showing such a minor margin of lead for either candidate it's still very much in play.  By no means the slam dunk for Hillary you are claiming, and a 16% lead is just pure fantasy when most are showing 6 or 8 points difference.

Wait until the polls after today's victories.  Hillary's small leads are going to turn into small loses by next week.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/19/08 at 1:30 pm

Once again it is a non-issue issue. To me, this screams of mudslinging. And why is that-because it seems that Obama is in the lead. I think Hilary said it several months ago that she was getting a lot of the potshots because she was in the lead. Now she is giving the potshots.

As for those polls, I wouldn't take any stock in them. How many times have polls said that someone was in the lead and once the ballots were counted, the polls were totally WRONG!!!

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/19/08 at 4:24 pm

http://thepage.time.com/obama-release-on-clintons-languge/

Obama release list of phrases and sayings she's lifted from Obama....

turn about is fairplay

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/19/08 at 8:38 pm

Once again it is a non-issue issue. To me, this screams of mudslinging. And why is that-because it seems that Obama is in the lead. I think Hilary said it several months ago that she was getting a lot of the potshots because she was in the lead. Now she is giving the potshots.

As for those polls, I wouldn't take any stock in them. How many times have polls said that someone was in the lead and once the ballots were counted, the polls were totally WRONG!!!

Cat

Obama is gonna spank Hillary in this election.  Unless the so-called "super delegates" ignore the will of the voters and instead cast their votes for Hillary.

Will be interesting to see how the Supers actually end up voting.  If they do NOT cast their votes in line with the popular vote, Democratic party will have some serious problems.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/08 at 9:40 pm

Obama is gonna spank Hillary in this election. 

I coulda done just fine without that image thank you!
8-P

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/19/08 at 11:03 pm

Appears that Obama has won Wisconsin, and will probably secure Washington State and Hawaii as well.

Hillary is campaigning hard in Ohio and Texas, lose those and she's done for.  At this point all she can hope for is a narrow win.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/19/08 at 11:12 pm

HA!  I read this thread title and I was like "Why would Obama steal that guy's wallet?"

I keed, I keed.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/21/08 at 12:43 am

HA!  I read this thread title and I was like "Why would Obama steal that guy's wallet?"

I keed, I keed.

You moonlight writing jokes for Rush Limbaugh?
???

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/21/08 at 3:10 am

I guess she's getting abit cranky now that Obama is actually in this for the winning. Some people must've betrayed her  ;)

And, GWBush2004, it's a good time to change your screen name because it's a bit outdated, and plus, we need reminding of who you're going to vote for and stand by for the next four years.

I think a lot of politicians lose sight of this whole race, and only a few have kept it in the right arena. Obama is one of them. McCain is not too bad, but I still am not sure of his record. I guess, in a sense, it would be nice to have someone who maybe hasn't been exposed to the ugliness of politics like other long timers have. I think we're all tired of the name smearing, backstabbing, ego-busting politicians in today's world and would actually like someone who's well educated and diverse and well traveled and worldly to maybe take a stand.

Written By: thereshegoes on 02/21/08 at 3:04 pm

I guess she's getting abit cranky now that Obama is actually in this for the winning. Some people must've betrayed her  ;)

And, GWBush2004, it's a good time to change your screen name because it's a bit outdated, and plus, we need reminding of who you're going to vote for and stand by for the next four years.

I think a lot of politicians lose sight of this whole race, and only a few have kept it in the right arena. Obama is one of them. McCain is not too bad, but I still am not sure of his record. I guess, in a sense, it would be nice to have someone who maybe hasn't been exposed to the ugliness of politics like other long timers have. I think we're all tired of the name smearing, backstabbing, ego-busting politicians in today's world and would actually like someone who's well educated and diverse and well traveled and worldly to maybe take a stand.

Very well said 8)

I'm on the outside and never seen so much excitement about a candidate before. Of course they're going to do whatever to dig some dirt on him but i'm confident voters will see past it and choose wisely.

The whole world is counting on you guys...do the right thing ,my friends ;)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/21/08 at 3:07 pm

Very well said 8)

I'm on the outside and never seen so much excitement about a candidate before. Of course they're going to do whatever to dig some dirt on him but i'm confident voters will see past it and choose wisely.

The whole world is counting on you guys...do the right thing ,my friends ;)

The right thing is Obama!

Written By: thereshegoes on 02/21/08 at 3:18 pm

The right thing is Obama!

Right on! Just the thought of the leader of the "free world" being named Barack Obama makes me tingle :-*

Check for new replies or respond here...