» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: A wall is only as good as the holes in it

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/20/08 at 4:00 pm

http://www.texasobserver.org/article.php?aid=2688

What a surprise.  The Bush administration lackeys have no issues with forcing poor and middle class citizens to have a large cement wall built through their property, but are skipping past the property of rich Bush supporters and country clubs.

The wall is fairly pointless to begin with, but to have large gaping holes in it, and to be forcing people to divide their land for it is beyond the pale.

Subject: Re: A wall is only as good as the holes in it

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/20/08 at 4:45 pm

This doesn't surprise me.  For the love of God protect our boarder, just don't mess up the golf course.  The poor and middle class and their property are considered expendable to the less than 8% of the population that are upper class.  It is wrong of a nation to ask something of the poor and exempt the rich for vanity's sake.

Written By: Tia on 02/20/08 at 5:20 pm

the young turks were talking about this a couple days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcBlDrPAj40

the funny thing about this is that now the border patrol and the minutemen are all gonna be chasing around would-be immigrants on these guys' property. seems like a curious way to thank your supporters, although it's obviously not as bad as actually putting a fence through their yard.

the thing that's really infuriating about this is there's a bunch of other people who are running the risk of losing their livelihoods because of this but if you're rich and gave money to bush you can get around it no problem. it's sickening.

Written By: Macphisto on 02/20/08 at 5:51 pm

Agreed on all counts...  This administration doesn't care about border security or the working class.  All they care about is getting the support of rich people.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/21/08 at 12:40 am

Well, I think that's very considerate of the country clubs.  They're making it easier for their greens keepers and kitchen help to get back and forth to work!
::)

Written By: Jessica on 02/21/08 at 10:05 am

Well, I think that's very considerate of the country clubs.  They're making it easier for their greens keepers and kitchen help to get back and forth to work!

*snicker*

Karma to ye.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/21/08 at 4:56 pm

I knew there was a positive aspect to this. . . somewhere.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/21/08 at 7:51 pm

See, all you folks are missing the point.  It's not about how high the wall is or how long the wall is; it's not about where the wall does or doesn't get built; it is about who gets the no-bid contract to build the wall and how many billions in taxpayer money the corporation gets to pocket!  Last I heard it was Boeing...
8)

Written By: Tia on 02/21/08 at 7:54 pm

See, all you folks are missing the point.  It's not about how high the wall is or how long the wall is; it's not about where the wall does or doesn't get built; it is about who gets the no-bid contract to build the wall and how many billions in taxpayer money the corporation gets to pocket!  Last I heard it was Boeing...
8)
yeah, it's makework. it's a lot like the new deal, except that (1) it's focused on security and war instead of public works, and (2) the contracting process is so corrupt and without oversight that a lot of times contracts go way over budget and the project doesnt get finished. as a way of organizing a national infrastructure it's a recipe for "mad max" style living, but as a way of channeling public funds into private hands, you cant beat it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/21/08 at 7:57 pm

yeah, it's makework. it's a lot like the new deal, except that (1) it's focused on security and war instead of public works, and (2) the contracting process is so corrupt and without oversight that a lot of times contracts go way over budget and the project doesnt get finished. as a way of organizing a national infrastructure it's a recipe for "mad max" style living, but as a way of channeling public funds into private hands, you cant beat it.

The "Screw You Deal."
:-\\

Written By: La Roche on 02/24/08 at 1:52 am

the young turks were talking about this a couple days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcBlDrPAj40

the funny thing about this is that now the border patrol and the minutemen are all gonna be chasing around would-be immigrants on these guys' property. seems like a curious way to thank your supporters, although it's obviously not as bad as actually putting a fence through their yard.

the thing that's really infuriating about this is there's a bunch of other people who are running the risk of losing their livelihoods because of this but if you're rich and gave money to bush you can get around it no problem. it's sickening.

I never thought of it this way, I think it'll backfire. They'll have a tee time of 8:30, but remember to bring a shovel to scoop the dead Mexican off the 8th green.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/24/08 at 3:42 am

I never thought of it this way, I think it'll backfire. They'll have a tee time of 8:30, but remember to bring a shovel to scoop the dead Mexican off the 8th green.

Self-correcting problem.  After the first few dozen groundskeepers get shot by security, even the Mexicans aren't gonna be applying for body cleanup duty.  We'll have to hire Americans.  You know... for the kinds of jobs that even the Mexicans refuse to do.

Few years ago, I'd have put a smiley beside that.  Today?  It's not so much satire as it is depressing reality.  We'd just use our prisoner population.  You know...  for the kinds of jobs that even Chinese prison labor can't do.

"So it goes."
- Kilgore Trout.

Check for new replies or respond here...