» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: New Jersey's new cellphone law.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/01/08 at 12:29 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080301/ap_on_re_us/cell_phone_ban;_ylt=AjpkA4KooOYPcwKPsjXdkFes0NUE

The state of New Jersey wants you to HANG UP AND DRIVE!!!

Some people are bound to whine and complain.  Your thoughts.

Subject: Re: New Jersey's new cellphone law.

Written By: loki 13 on 03/01/08 at 12:40 pm

It's about time, I only hope they seriously inforce it. One of my biggest pet peeves is people yapping on
the phone while driving. Corzine is the biigest mistake N.J. ever put into office but this is one thing he did
I agree with.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/01/08 at 3:53 pm

I wish there didn't have to be laws about it, but it's too dangerous, so I support it. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/01/08 at 4:11 pm

I wish there didn't have to be laws about it, but it's too dangerous, so I support it. 

Most people would agree with you that it's dangerous.  However some people who think it's dangerous also think they can drive with one hand on the freeway, during rush hour.

Written By: saver on 03/01/08 at 4:40 pm

California started a law awhile back that you MUST have your headlights on during the rain/while wipers are on ...have we heard anyone busted for that or heard of anyone which it was enforced on...hardly!!!!

I see vviolators all the time and feel the same will happen wiith phoners, we'll see them but how quick will the authority be around to see it,and pull them over?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/01/08 at 6:54 pm

Most people would agree with you that it's dangerous.  However some people who think it's dangerous also think they can drive with one hand on the freeway, during rush hour.

Telephone converstion is more distracting than talking to another person in the car, listening to music, or drinking coffee and eating doughnuts at the same time!  I'm guilty of all of them and I only drive with two hands on the wheel unless I must.  However, I have never been so dangerously distracted as when I've talked on my cell phone in traffic. 

If I must answer my cell phone while driving, I pull over.  If I cannot pull over safely, I don't answer it. 

Believe me, I don't like giving the cops another excuse to pull folks over. 

I also think it's obnoxious whenn people fight with their spouses in public via the cell phone, but that's not endangerious anybody...except yourself if I'm feeling particularly irritable!
;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/01/08 at 10:04 pm

I agree with this law, it is common sense.  A coworker of mine, about 10 years ago, was decapitated because he was talking on the cell phone and not paying attention.  He rear-ended a stopped flatbed truck at about 70MPH.

If I am driving I use the "handsfree" built into my car.  Gotta keep both hands on the wheel.

Written By: gibbo on 03/01/08 at 10:11 pm

It's a good common sense law. We already have these laws in Australia and they are enforced.....but there's never a cop around when you see someone wavering while on the phone.....

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/02/08 at 1:12 pm

It's a good common sense law. We already have these laws in Australia and they are enforced.....but there's never a cop around when you see someone wavering while on the phone.....

They have a cellphone law in a town near where I live.  Cops love busting people who break that law.  The fine is $150 per offense.  Of course this is the same town where the mayor lower the speed limit to 35 because the town need to raise funds without raising taxes. ::)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/02/08 at 1:21 pm

Telephone converstion is more distracting than talking to another person in the car, listening to music, or drinking coffee and eating doughnuts at the same time!  I'm guilty of all of them and I only drive with two hands on the wheel unless I must.  However, I have never been so dangerously distracted as when I've talked on my cell phone in traffic. 

If I must answer my cell phone while driving, I pull over.  If I cannot pull over safely, I don't answer it. 

Believe me, I don't like giving the cops another excuse to pull folks over. 

I also think it's obnoxious whenn people fight with their spouses in public via the cell phone, but that's not endangers anybody...except yourself if I'm feeling particularly irritable!
;)

Because your mind is on the conversation and processing it, that's a huge distraction.  Plus most people don't get emotional while drinking coffee or eating a donut.  (Insert Homer Simpson imitation here!!!)

People fighting during cell phone use and driving.  You almost want to get out of your car at the nearest red light and smack the person upside of the head.

Written By: Jessica on 03/03/08 at 11:12 am

I walk a lot, and if I'm crossing the street and some asshat is on the phone and almost hits me, their car gets a dose of spit, especially if the boy is with me. You do not screw around with a protective parent.

I was thinking of carrying a U-Lock with me to bash in car hoods, but figured I'd get in more trouble for that. :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/03/08 at 8:32 pm

A driver yapping on a cell phone is saying: My social life is more important than your safety!
>:(

I have narrowly avoided collisions with these asshats several times, and each time I did the narrowly avoiding.

Written By: Tia on 03/05/08 at 3:31 pm

A driver yapping on a cell phone is saying: My social life is more important than your safety!
>:(

I have narrowly avoided collisions with these asshats several times, and each time I did the narrowly avoiding.
i saw a thing on youtube the other day, some character named "robrant" or someone, sitting in his SUV driving WHILE MAKING VIDEOS to upload onto youtube.

he was also smoking a cigar and unleashing a fusillade of obscenities, blathering about fudgeing libs and goddamn sheesh-eating commies and how we've all got to get behind the war in iraq. then i see he's got like a four-year-old in the back seat.  ::) i message him (cuz i apparently dont know better than to talk to blithering morons) and was like, yeah, i dont even know where to start talking about the many ways in which you're vying for the darwin awards. he writes me back about none of that matters because he's on the top of the food chain.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/05/08 at 9:41 pm

i saw a thing on youtube the other day, some character named "robrant" or someone, sitting in his SUV driving WHILE MAKING VIDEOS to upload onto youtube.

he was also smoking a cigar and unleashing a fusillade of obscenities, blathering about fudging libs and goddamn sheesh-eating commies and how we've all got to get behind the war in iraq. then i see he's got like a four-year-old in the back seat.  ::) i message him (cuz i apparently dont know better than to talk to blithering morons) and was like, yeah, i dont even know where to start talking about the many ways in which you're vying for the darwin awards. he writes me back about none of that matters because he's on the top of the food chain.

I'd love to see that.  You got a link?  I hope somebody saves the video for that four year old so when he's 44 he can make the right decision about whether to let dad move in with him and the missus or dump the old bastid in that filthy old folks home where they give daily tapioca pudding enemas!
:D

Written By: Tia on 03/05/08 at 10:13 pm

I'd love to see that.  You got a link?  I hope somebody saves the video for that four year old so when he's 44 he can make the right decision about whether to let dad move in with him and the missus or dump the old bastid in that filthy old folks home where they give daily tapioca pudding enemas!
:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VIiLP3m1So

:P

remember, he's not a republican.

PS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUFR5Q1J-i4

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/06/08 at 11:14 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VIiLP3m1So

:P

remember, he's not a republican.

PS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUFR5Q1J-i4

He's neither Democrat or Republican.  He's an idiot.  IQ of about 73 is my guess.

Written By: Tia on 03/06/08 at 11:16 am

He's neither Democrat or Republican.  He's an idiot.  IQ of about 73 is my guess.
hard to argue with. it would be interesting to see what his grandkids think when they see that video of him going "f**k my grandchildren!" 50 years from now, when they're all standing in 20 feet of water. ::)

Written By: Tia on 03/06/08 at 5:47 pm

well, i guess you dont "stand" in 20 feet of water unless youre quite tall indeed but you see my point.

Written By: midnite on 03/08/08 at 2:07 am

I live in New Jersey.  I like the cell phone law.  Not a week goes by that I am cut off or stuck behind some clown on a cell phone driving slow.  ALOT of people on cell phones do not pay attention to the road.  They drive slow in the fast lane or cut you off because they are more concerned about the conversation than the cars in the lanes next to them.

I think the blue tooth cell phones are okay.  I think it is just very distracting when someone is holding a phone to their ear and driving 35 mph in a 65 mph zone.

By the way, New Jersey politicians are all corrupt

Written By: Macphisto on 03/16/08 at 10:11 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080301/ap_on_re_us/cell_phone_ban;_ylt=AjpkA4KooOYPcwKPsjXdkFes0NUE

The state of New Jersey wants you to HANG UP AND DRIVE!!!

Some people are bound to whine and complain.  Your thoughts.

Sounds cool to me.  I hate the bastards who talk and drive down here.

Check for new replies or respond here...