» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Anti-Catholic preacher endorses McCain

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/03/08 at 9:22 pm

James Hagee's pet name for the Catholic Church is "the great whore."  Hagee, a Texas-based evangelical minister has endorsed the presidential candidacy of Republican Senator John McCain. 

You can't stop a person from endorsing you, but you can repudiate the endorsement, as Barak Obama did when Minister Louis Farrakhan endorsed him last week.

McCain incurred the wrath of the live-and-let-live Christian Right when after the 9/11 attacks he called Reverends Falwell and Robertson "agents of intolerance" after the good preachers had don nothing more than blame the bloodiest assault on American soil since the Civil War on gays, feminists, and liberals. 

Not this time.  McCain warmly accepted Rev. Hagee and appeared with him in public. 
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/02/28/mccain_endorsement_angers_cath.html

In the article above apoplectic Catholic League spokesman Bill Donahue condemns McCain for accepting the endorsement.   Donahue himself is a a hate-spewing crackpot. 

This was not a smart move on McCain's part.  It is quite doable to get all right-wing Christians Catholic and Protestant on your side.  Just don't accept endorsements from one who hates the other.  Dubya did well with working class Catholics.  McCain, a Catholic himself if I'm not mistaken, will incur their wrath if he does't smarten up.  And oh boy, does this guy need to smarten up!
::)

Subject: Re: Anti-Catholic preacher endorses McCain

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/03/08 at 10:36 pm

McCain is not Catholic.  I heard he now regrets the endorsement.  He a bit too secular for it not to bother him.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/04/08 at 7:22 pm

McCain is not Catholic.  I heard he now regrets the endorsement.  He a bit too secular for it not to bother him.

You're right, he's Anglican/Episcopalian.  Well, excuuuuuuse me!!!!
;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/05/08 at 8:50 am

You can't stop a person from endorsing you, but you can repudiate the endorsement, as Barak Obama did when Minister Louis Farrakhan endorsed him last week.

Calypso Lewis endorsed Obama?  I missed that.  I'm surprised the Clinton campaign did not highlight it and draw attention to the "Black Muslim" angle to smear Obama.

Did you see the "60 Minutes" bit on Sunday where the uneducated factory worker was expressing his concerns about "Obama is a Muslim and he won't put his hand on the Bible and blah-blah-blah".  The interviewer, Steve Croft, then said "Well you know, none of that stuff is true" and the factory worker replied (words to the effect) "Yeah I know that, but it still worries me".  The scary part of all of this is numbskulls like him actually get to vote.

Next thing you know, this thread will be all over the 'Net and people will be wringing their hands over the possibility that John McCain might be a Roamin' Catholic.  ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/05/08 at 6:26 pm

You're right, he's Anglican/Episcopalian.  Well, excuuuuuuse me!!!!
;)

I correct you once and you get all huffy. ::)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/05/08 at 6:30 pm

Calypso Lewis endorsed Obama?  I missed that.  I'm surprised the Clinton campaign did not highlight it and draw attention to the "Black Muslim" angle to smear Obama.

Did you see the "60 Minutes" bit on Sunday where the uneducated factory worker was expressing his concerns about "Obama is a Muslim and he won't put his hand on the Bible and blah-blah-blah".  The interviewer, Steve Croft, then said "Well you know, none of that stuff is true" and the factory worker replied (words to the effect) "Yeah I know that, but it still worries me".  The scary part of all of this is numbskulls like him actually get to vote.

Next thing you know, this thread will be all over the 'Net and people will be wringing their hands over the possibility that John McCain might be a Roamin' Catholic.  ;D

An endorsement is just an endorsement and not to be taken too seriously.  I've heard people insist Obama is Muslim because of his name.  Yes, even some stupid people vote.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/05/08 at 9:11 pm

Congratulations, Governor Stevenson, you've got the thinking man's vote!
Yes, but I need a majority to win.

Look, if every Joe Blow who doesn't know has ass from his elbow got disenfranchised the lines at the polls would be awfully short!

Next thing you know, this thread will be all over the 'Net and people will be wringing their hands over the possibility that John McCain might be a Roamin' Catholic.   ;D

I just assumed he was Catholic 'cos he's a frickin' Mick like me (but then again, I'm not Catholic, my dad made sure of that...he kept the guilt and threw away the cracker!)

I correct you once and you get all huffy. ::)

Actually, "well excuuuuse me" was a jab at the Episcopalian snobs.  See, the Episcopalian Irish-types who come from money and went to boarding school hate to be mixed up with the common Catholics who live in the rowhouses with their 29 children and get piss-drunk on weeknights singing "Danny Boy."  Something like that.
:-\\

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/06/08 at 11:38 am

Here's another aspect to it.  Anything denounce by Bill Donahue should be looked over 3 or 4 times.  He the Jerry Falwell of American Catholics.  This is the same guy who bitched about the "Mary- hating" lesbians that were on John Edwards campaign.  On the same token he writes nasty anti-gay articles for the Catholic magazine Crisis. 

If someone else like Cardinal George Archbishop of Chicago (who has a knack for diplomacy and an appreciating for diversity) were to have denounce it, then it would mean something.

Obviously I grew up Catholic so I know that Catholics can be just as arrogant and spiteful as a hyperactive Evangelical.

As for the "Well excuuuse me"  Now I know why that was my parents favorite comeback line".

Written By: danootaandme on 03/06/08 at 7:25 pm

Calypso Lewis endorsed Obama? 

I can't believe he is still alive.  A couple of years ago they had him a deaths door.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/06/08 at 8:31 pm

I can't believe he is still alive.  A couple of years ago they had him a deaths door.

Which led to one of my favorite Louie Louie statements ever, in re prostate cancer:
"Please, brothers, don't be afraid to let your doctor stick his finger up your rectum!"
8-P

(Well, I can agree with him there, an ounce of prevention after all...)

Here's another aspect to it.  Anything denounce by Bill Donahue should be looked over 3 or 4 times.  He the Jerry Falwell of American Catholics.  This is the same guy who bitched about the "Mary- hating" lesbians that were on John Edwards campaign.  On the same token he writes nasty anti-gay articles for the Catholic magazine Crisis. 

If someone else like Cardinal George Archbishop of Chicago (who has a knack for diplomacy and an appreciating for diversity) were to have denounce it, then it would mean something.

Obviously I grew up Catholic so I know that Catholics can be just as arrogant and spiteful as a hyperactive Evangelical.

As for the "Well excuuuse me"  Now I know why that was my parents favorite comeback line".

Lesbians don't hate Marys!  I love the way Bill Donahue gets all red in the face with the veins pulsating.  Reminds me of the cartoons where Elmer Fudd gets mad with steam shooting out of his ears! One of these days BD's going to get a massive brain aneurysm and drop dead on national TV and the Catholic League will file a wrongful death suit against Bill Mahar!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tard.gif

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/07/08 at 8:04 am

Well when he finally gets there, Brother Malcolm is gonna meet him there and kick his arse for eternity.

Check for new replies or respond here...