» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: pitching puppies

Written By: Tia on 03/08/08 at 10:10 am

well, it's time to go there. i notice no one's started a thread about it yet.

this video of some dude pitching a puppy off a cliff has gotten to be big news on the internet, apparently making the top of google videos and even making it onto CNN. i assume everyone has seen it. i'm wondering what your thoughts were. i've seen all sorts of stuff:

1. it's fake
2. it's sad that people care about puppies but not people
3. it's a disgrace to the marine corps and most soldiers disdain such conduct
4. it's a sign of what happens when you train someone to kill and then stick them in a hellhole for five years
5. this guy's name and address is now known and he's getting reams and reams of death threats. originally i thought that was bad but now i'm not so sure.

here's my favorite commentary about the puppy toss incident.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5BR0wpkVwFA

sean is a voice of troof!

for those who haven't seen it. warning: this video will make you cry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92H910Pg3EQ

strange that this will probably end up in the history books.

Subject: Re: pitching puppies

Written By: loki 13 on 03/08/08 at 10:32 am

The only thing I can go by to say it's fake is that there is no Doppler Effect in the puppy's yelp as it's
flying over the cliff.

I don't know if it's fake or not but what does it matter. What kind of a$$wipe would want you think
he threw a puppy off a cliff.

Written By: Red Ant on 03/08/08 at 4:05 pm

The only thing I can go by to say it's fake is that there is no Doppler Effect in the puppy's yelp as it's
flying over the cliff.

I noticed that too.

~~~~

If this was some stupid prank here, I would be much more upset than I am.

Regardless of whether is was dead or alive, throwing a puppy off a cliff is messed up, but it's only a pixel in a much bigger, horrible picture that so many fail to see.

I wanted to post more, but I'll pass on getting way off topic with a huge rant two posts into a thread.

Ant

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/08/08 at 4:18 pm

First of all, I did not watch the video-nor will I. The people who did this should be ashamed of themselves. Yeah, yeah, it's a prank what harm was done? Plenty. For one thing this did happen not too long ago down in Puerto Rico.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/15/national/main3504503.shtml

And you know there is going to be some idiot who will copy it for real-not faking it.

Cat

Written By: KKay on 03/08/08 at 6:05 pm

i heard it's fake from the start...i'm choosing to go with that.

Written By: Tia on 03/09/08 at 10:51 am

flying over the cliff.
it's funny, people say that the sound of the yelp doesn't fade, but it actually does. as for dopplering, it's true that it doesn't but i'm not sure it would anyway.

I don't know if it's fake or not but what does it matter. What kind of a$$wipe would want you think

i saw this guy had a theory he did it to get discharged and get out of the war. which strikes me as plausible. the guy who did it claims that he did it because they actually have orders to shoot stray dogs because they cant take them in.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/10/08 at 5:41 pm

I've seen it.  The jerk probably owns dogs.  Some soldiers believe when they're at war they can do whatever the hell they want to and get away with it.  That has a tendency to let you get in touch with your inner blood thirsty barbarian.  If it was fake and made up for shock value, so be it.  However if it wasn't, I just stated a theory.  As for the Puerto Rican animal slaughter and dumping.  That was downright cruel.  To take pets from loving owners only to torture, kill then dump them makes me ashamed to call myself human. :\'(

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/10/08 at 8:25 pm

I've heard about this but I haven't watched it and I will never watch it.

Written By: Max Power on 03/10/08 at 8:32 pm

The yelp never really fade and the body was stiff the whole time so it's fake, if anything it's likely a joke gone awry as they probably though they're being funny but failed and ended up with huge amount of attention as a result.

Written By: Tia on 03/10/08 at 8:37 pm

The yelp never really fade and the body was stiff the whole time so it's fake, if anything it's likely a joke gone awry as they probably though they're being funny but failed and ended up with huge amount of attention as a result.
i don't WANT it to be real and i dont mean to get too clinical but if he threw the puppy a certain way where he spun fast he's gonna look stiff because of the centrifical force. and if you listen, the yelp actually does fade.

Written By: Max Power on 03/10/08 at 8:43 pm

i don't WANT it to be real and i dont mean to get too clinical but if he threw the puppy a certain way where he spun fast he's gonna look stiff because of the centrifical force. and if you listen, the yelp actually does fade.

Still too loud for that and remember once it's in the it it would've at least make a movement before it lands ( which it didn't went splat ).

Written By: Tia on 03/10/08 at 8:48 pm

Still too loud for that and remember once it's in the it it would've at least make a movement before it lands ( which it didn't went splat ).
that may be true, by that point it's rather small so it's hard to see what exactly's going on.

good goi we just got really forensic all the sudden. it's odd, i've seen at least four or five other videos of soldiers abusing dogs in iraq (which in itself is also strange but there it is) and they're rather obviously not fake. but they never went viral the way this one did. it could be a part of the reason this video got so much play is because it looks vaguely fake, sorta in a way more polished and pathological than the other videos i've seen, which are just gritty and real in a very banal kinda way and just ugly and dispiriting.

Written By: Max Power on 03/10/08 at 8:51 pm

that may be true, by that point it's rather small so it's hard to see what exactly's going on.

good goi we just got really forensic all the sudden. it's odd, i've seen at least four or five other videos of soldiers abusing dogs in iraq (which in itself is also strange but there it is) and they're rather obviously not fake. but they never went viral the way this one did. it could be a part of the reason this video got so much play is because it looks vaguely fake, sorta in a way more polished and pathological than the other videos i've seen, which are just gritty and real in a very banal kinda way and just ugly and dispiriting.

Gives out bad reputation as well.

Written By: Tia on 03/10/08 at 8:53 pm

Gives out bad reputation as well.
nowhere near as bad as some things.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fU7Kv0KAMOk

(warning: rather violent)

i guess this is part of my point. if you have the stomach to watch this, it's much much worse than the "puppy" video and obviously it isn't faked. the only thing the skeptic in me thought is that technically the voiceover could have been dubbed in later, and the voiceover adds a lot to the ugly nature of this video, but it pretty much stands on its own even if the voiceover is a puton. and i dont think it is.

but here's the thing: the death of a single cute puppy, though horrible, is nowhere near as criminal as what this video shows. and youtube is full of videos like this. no one watches them because they're too awful but the cute puppy dying video tugs at the heartstrings without being too over the top. so it goes all around the world.

Written By: Max Power on 03/10/08 at 8:55 pm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KtZ2ngytmtc&feature=related

Or that.

Written By: Red Ant on 03/10/08 at 10:17 pm

"200,000 dead Iraqis - who cares? 1 dead puppy - moral outrage!" - unknown

Since 2003, we've spent between 400 to 700 billion dollars on the war on terror in Iraq and Afghanistan (those numbers are probably low, and don't take into consideration things like Homeland Insecurity). That's roughly 250 million dollars a day. 4000 US troops, 1000 US contractors and hundreds of thousands of Iraqis are dead.

Here's a few things to really get upset about:

Real Cost of the War on Terror

(Under #3, they missed the small part about all the injured and wounded young soldiers needing expensive and/or extensive medical care for years to come)

3 trillion and growing?

What *just* 315 billions dollars looks like

By the way, where has that money come from? By raising taxes 500% across the board? nope. By cutting funding to other programs? Some of it. By borrowing money? BINGO!

Yes, most of the money we've spent on the war on terror has been borrowed. I'd hate to see the compound interest on a half a trillion dollar debt.

And then we have the grand finale of things to really cry about:

John McCain: 100 more years in Iraq? No Sweat!

As I said earlier, tossing a puppy over a cliff is but a pixel in a much larger and uglier picture. It's sad and messed up that it happened and it does tarnish the reputations of our troops. If this Motari guy did in fact throw a live puppy off a cliff, he's a sick bastard at best. But... what if it's fake? What if the dog was already dead or severly injured? Is letting it starve to death in the desert any better than suddenly ending its life? Maybe that guy is just a sick f***, maybe the things he's seen over there made him that way? Too many questions that can't be answered right now.

As Tia mentioned:

the guy who did it claims that he did it because they actually have orders to shoot stray dogs because they cant take them in.

I found this:  The Order: Shoot and Kill

It's possibly outdated and/or has been reversed, but never the less it did exist.

Snopes hasn't ruled on this video yet either.

Ant

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/11/08 at 12:26 pm

"200,000 dead Iraqis - who cares? 1 dead puppy - moral outrage!" - unknown

Since 2003, we've spent between 400 to 700 billion dollars on the war on terror in Iraq and Afghanistan (those numbers are probably low, and don't take into consideration things like Homeland Insecurity). That's roughly 250 million dollars a day. 4000 US troops, 1000 US contractors and hundreds of thousands of Iraqis are dead.

Here's a few things to really get upset about:

Real Cost of the War on Terror

(Under #3, they missed the small part about all the injured and wounded young soldiers needing expensive and/or extensive medical care for years to come)

3 trillion and growing?

What *just* 315 billions dollars looks like

By the way, where has that money come from? By raising taxes 500% across the board? nope. By cutting funding to other programs? Some of it. By borrowing money? BINGO!

Yes, most of the money we've spent on the war on terror has been borrowed. I'd hate to see the compound interest on a half a trillion dollar debt.

And then we have the grand finale of things to really cry about:

John McCain: 100 more years in Iraq? No Sweat!

As I said earlier, tossing a puppy over a cliff is but a pixel in a much larger and uglier picture. It's sad and messed up that it happened and it does tarnish the reputations of our troops. If this Motari guy did in fact throw a live puppy off a cliff, he's a sick bastard at best. But... what if it's fake? What if the dog was already dead or severly injured? Is letting it starve to death in the desert any better than suddenly ending its life? Maybe that guy is just a sick f***, maybe the things he's seen over there made him that way? Too many questions that can't be answered right now.

As Tia mentioned:

I found this:  The Order: Shoot and Kill

It's possibly outdated and/or has been reversed, but never the less it did exist.

Snopes hasn't ruled on this video yet either.

Ant

Touché.  And karma

Cat

Written By: thereshegoes on 03/11/08 at 4:26 pm

I would condemn this a lot more veemently if Abu Ghraib had not happened,now all i can say is may a lesson be learned: boys and girls shouldn't fight wars,no one is ready for it but don't pick 18 years old kids out of highschool,give them a gun,send them to hell and expect them to be heroes. War doesn't make real men,war makes f*cked up men.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/11/08 at 4:37 pm

I would condemn this a lot more veemently if Abu Ghraib had not happened,now all i can say is may a lesson be learned: boys and girls shouldn't fight wars,no one is ready for it but don't pick 18 years old kids out of highschool,give them a gun,send them to hell and expect them to be heroes. War doesn't make real men,war makes f*cked up men.

http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/happy/applause.gif

Cat

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/11/08 at 4:52 pm

Tragically, war wouldn't even happen if f'ed up men didn't start it in the first place...vicious cycle eh?

Did anyone snopes this to see if it's real?

Written By: Tia on 03/11/08 at 5:07 pm

Tragically, war wouldn't even happen if f'ed up men didn't start it in the first place...vicious cycle eh?

apparently snopes is still agnostic on it.

Written By: Red Ant on 03/11/08 at 9:06 pm

Yes - see the last line of my horrifically long post above.

Thanks for the karma, Catwoman.

Ant

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/11/08 at 9:32 pm

Aha!  I should read more :P

Written By: Macphisto on 03/16/08 at 9:47 pm

well, it's time to go there. i notice no one's started a thread about it yet.

this video of some dude pitching a puppy off a cliff has gotten to be big news on the internet, apparently making the top of google videos and even making it onto CNN. i assume everyone has seen it. i'm wondering what your thoughts were. i've seen all sorts of stuff:

1. it's fake
2. it's sad that people care about puppies but not people
3. it's a disgrace to the marine corps and most soldiers disdain such conduct
4. it's a sign of what happens when you train someone to kill and then stick them in a hellhole for five years
5. this guy's name and address is now known and he's getting reams and reams of death threats. originally i thought that was bad but now i'm not so sure.

here's my favorite commentary about the puppy toss incident.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5BR0wpkVwFA

sean is a voice of troof!

for those who haven't seen it. warning: this video will make you cry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92H910Pg3EQ

strange that this will probably end up in the history books.

Death threats over a puppy.  Wow...  that's just nuts.  It's just a freaking dog, people...  get over it.

When human rights are in better shape across the world, THEN I might care about animal rights.

Written By: Tia on 03/17/08 at 2:16 am

When human rights are in better shape across the world, THEN I might care about animal rights.
could be the two are related...

Written By: Marian on 04/03/08 at 1:07 pm

flying over the cliff.

That;s what I was wondering.

Written By: Tia on 04/07/08 at 7:13 pm

here's another video about the puppypitcher that might be a little controversial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9j9zcAcl40

he makes a decent point though.

Check for new replies or respond here...