» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Does Canada hate Obama?

Written By: Spirit of 76 on 03/11/08 at 2:35 am

I gotta admit from every comment from it's citizens and clip of the CBC I've seen about Obama, it seems that Canada hates Obama and rates him as bad if not worse than W. I've decided to pull my initial support for him because there seems to be too many mysteries about him and have decided not to vote for any major presidential party in this election.

However many in the US are still strong Obama supporters. And unlike W it isn't about neo-con evangellical Republicans vs the world but liberal, urban blue staters as well as many African American groups who suport such a seemingly divisive person. If Obama does win we might very well see a cultural split between the "Blue States" and Canada.

Subject: Re: Does Canada hate Obama?

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/11/08 at 6:04 am

I gotta admit from every comment from it's citizens and clip of the CBC I've seen about Obama, it seems that Canada hates Obama and rates him as bad if not worse than W. I've decided to pull my initial support for him because there seems to be too many mysteries about him and have decided not to vote for any major presidential party in this election.

However many in the US are still strong Obama supporters. And unlike W it isn't about neo-con evangellical Republicans vs the world but liberal, urban blue staters as well as many African American groups who suport such a seemingly divisive person. If Obama does win we might very well see a cultural split between the "Blue States" and Canada.

Why should Canadians care about Obama, and why should Americans care what Canadians think of him?

I mean, its not like he's proposing to annex Canada fer cryin' out loud.

Written By: Tia on 03/11/08 at 6:29 am

it appears to have something to do with nafta. like us, they'd like to see nafta reformed. unlike us, they appear to think that voting for the wife of the guy who put nafta in place to begin with is the way to do it. it's rather puzzling to me but whatever. if hillary wins the nomination i'm not voting for her, not because of nafta but because i refuse to vote for a pro-war candidate.  :(

anyway, negative opinions of obama arent uniform up north, nafta or no.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2008/02/21/4866113-cp.html

i like obama. i want him to be my daddy.

Written By: Spirit of 76 on 03/12/08 at 1:39 am

Ok, I'm clearing the slate by saying this-

I'll will stay undecided and will keep an open mind upon who I'll vote for until election day. And then I will keep that to myself. Whether it will be Obama, Hillary, McCain, Nadar, another independant, some write in candidate, or Lord Mylar- ruler of the 12 realms of Varnor ;D, who knows. Even I don't really have a clue until I make my final decision.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/12/08 at 8:03 pm

Unless you're American, in all honesty, who cares about your opinion. You're not voting!

Written By: Tia on 03/12/08 at 8:17 pm

well that's kinda harsh. but i'll tell ya i just really really REALLY wish hillary would go away. it's just looking worse and worse for her in terms of winning, and the more she drags this thing out the more she makes a mccain presidency more likely. and that would just be a disaster.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/12/08 at 9:22 pm

well that's kinda harsh. but i'll tell ya i just really really REALLY wish hillary would go away. it's just looking worse and worse for her in terms of winning, and the more she drags this thing out the more she makes a mccain presidency more likely. and that would just be a disaster.

I agree.

Circle gets the square!

Written By: Davester on 03/14/08 at 5:16 am

Tanya's comment made me wonder - if the "silent majority" in this country ever woke-up I wonder what side of the bed it would be...

Edited for clarification:  Unless my numbers are wrong, only around a third, maybe a bit more, of voting age persons vote in the general elections, right..?

Written By: Macphisto on 03/16/08 at 9:26 pm

NAFTA and CAFTA only benefit multinational corporations.  Canadian media would appear to be just as corporate as ours in its support for NAFTA.  Oh well, I thought Canada was better than this, but I guess I was wrong.

Ross Perot probably never expected to be as right about NAFTA as he turned out to be over the last decade and a half.  We should've elected him back in '92.

Written By: McDonald on 03/20/08 at 10:10 am

NAFTA and CAFTA only benefit multinational corporations.  Canadian media would appear to be just as corporate as ours in its support for NAFTA.  Oh well, I thought Canada was better than this, but I guess I was wrong.

True, but we have a national public broadcaster that is non-profit that sets the standard for news reports. The CBC has nothing to lose or gain by NAFTA, for example, so they have no reason to slant their reporting about it. As for CTV, CityTV, Global etc... and the French-language media (other than Radio-Canada), I don't know what they have to gain, but you may be right about that.

But people need not get their panties in a bunch, Canada does not hate Obama.... What a stupid statement. Like the whole country is somehow anti-Obama. That just isn't true. Most left-leaning Canadians probably even support him. Not everyone in Canada is so crazy about NAFTA. Truthfully, I have many questions and concerns about it myself. 

Written By: malibumike65 on 04/02/08 at 11:39 pm

As a Canadian, I don't hate anybody, including Mr. Obama. One thing I have never understood is that why statements made by idiots in the government are expected to be the general views of that countries citizens. Politicians put their spin on events all of the time. The Communism scare tactics of the 50s should be a testament to that, as Communists were made out to be evil and were blacklisted from working in all kinds of professions, yet the principals behind communism were the basis for labor unions across the world, including the US. Another example is the separation between Church and State. There is not suppose to be a connection between the two, but when somebody gets sworn into office, it's not a Playboy Magazine that they lay their hands upon. Politicians often get caught with their foot in their mouths.

Check for new replies or respond here...