» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: stupid question for british people!

Written By: Tia on 03/21/08 at 9:19 pm

how come y'all dont have kings anymore? what's with it being queens all the time? ???

Subject: Re: stupid question for british people!

Written By: Jessica on 03/21/08 at 9:45 pm

how come y'all dont have kings anymore? what's with it being queens all the time? ???

*insert gay joke here*

There were a few kings in the 20th century. I'd elaborate more, but I need to go look up who they were and shtuff.

Written By: Tia on 03/21/08 at 9:56 pm

*insert gay joke here*

There were a few kings in the 20th century. I'd elaborate more, but I need to go look up who they were and shtuff.
see! you dont know either. yank. :P

Written By: Jessica on 03/21/08 at 9:59 pm

see! you dont know either. yank. :P

But I knew that they had some in the past 100 years! So nyah!

King George VI was the last one. That was Elizabeth II's father. And I knew that without looking it up.

Written By: Tia on 03/21/08 at 10:02 pm

But I knew that they had some in the past 100 years! So nyah!

King George VI was the last one. That was Elizabeth II's father. And I knew that without looking it up.
yeah, but where'd they go? why the big anti-king crackdown? i smell a conspiracy, as usual.

Written By: Jessica on 03/21/08 at 10:07 pm

yeah, but where'd they go? why the big anti-king crackdown? i smell a conspiracy, as usual.

George V (Elizabeth II's grandfather) died in the 30s. Edward VIII (Elizabeth's uncle) abdicated in the 30s because he wanted to marry a divorced commoner. George VI died of cancer in 1952.

No conspiracy, just the line of succession. Charles, then William will be next.

Written By: Tia on 03/22/08 at 9:26 am

George V (Elizabeth II's grandfather) died in the 30s. Edward VIII (Elizabeth's uncle) abdicated in the 30s because he wanted to marry a divorced commoner. George VI died of cancer in 1952.

hmm, sounds a little bit like what happened to all those witnesses on dealy plaza... all the kings having little "accidents." hmmm.....

Written By: karen on 03/23/08 at 3:56 pm

Hark the herald angels sing
Mrs Simson pinched our king

We just fancied a new softer more feminine face on the stamps and money.  Sadly we got Liz instead

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/23/08 at 4:10 pm

Hark the herald angels sing
Mrs Simson pinched our king

We just fancied a new softer more feminine face on the stamps and money.  Sadly we got Liz instead

It could be worse-you could still be stuck with Margaret Thacher as P.M.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/23/08 at 7:22 pm

No conspiracy, just the line of succession. Charles, then William will be next.

There was some speculation the throne was going to go to Prince Billy and skip Charles, but Charles would have to agree to it--I think.  Not sure of the succession rules.  Anyway, I think Queen Elizabeth was born in 1926, so she's getting up there in years...
???

Written By: danootaandme on 03/24/08 at 4:23 am

At least Lizzie has changed the order of succession so that females aren't excluded in favor of males.  Now if Willy has a female child first she will be first in line after him and not have to defer to a younger brother.

Written By: Jessica on 03/24/08 at 10:11 am

There was some speculation the throne was going to go to Prince Billy and skip Charles, but Charles would have to agree to it--I think.  Not sure of the succession rules.  Anyway, I think Queen Elizabeth was born in 1926, so she's getting up there in years...
???

Yeah, I heard that as well. I also heard Charles was pissed because Mum won't give up the crown anytime soon.

I think ol' Liz has a few good years left. Her mom lived to be almost 101. :o

Written By: karen on 03/24/08 at 10:25 am

I don't get this discussion that Liz should make William king after her instead of Charles.  It's been discussed in the UK for a number of years (from when William started walking as far as I can recall  :-\\).  O.K. so Charles is a bit of a prat, but how do we know William will be any better?  Succession is what it is and you put up with whoever is next in line.

Written By: Jessica on 03/24/08 at 10:35 am

I don't get this discussion that Liz should make William king after her instead of Charles.  It's been discussed in the UK for a number of years (from when William started walking as far as I can recall  :-\\).  O.K. so Charles is a bit of a prat, but how do we know William will be any better?  Succession is what it is and you put up with whoever is next in line.

Yeah, I'm not sure of that either. Unless the next in line is a complete psycho, why skip someone? Charles isn't BAD, he's just had the unfortunate luck to be born a prince and have his whole private life on display. If he were Charles Nobody from the countryside and played out his life in the same way, no one would care.

Written By: karen on 03/24/08 at 10:39 am

It could be worse-you could still be stuck with Margaret Thacher as P.M.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

True.  Although not if I had any say in it

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/24/08 at 11:37 am

It doesn't matter so much because British royalty has more to do with ceremony than policy, so all Charles has to do is dress up in the royal threads, smile, and wave.  We know he can do that.  He can also meet with the PM for tea and crumpets or whatever.  No prob.  I just don't see how they could skip him in succession unless he agreed to it. 

If Elizabeth can last until 2016 she might beat Victoria for longest-reigning monarch in the history of the kingdom.  Victoria reigned for nearly 64 years.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/24/08 at 12:18 pm

It doesn't matter so much because British royalty has more to do with ceremony than policy, so all Charles has to do is dress up in the royal threads, smile, and wave.  We know he can do that.  He can also meet with the PM for tea and crumpets or whatever.  No prob.  I just don't see how they could skip him in succession unless he agreed to it. 

If Elizabeth can last until 2016 she might beat Victoria for longest-reigning monarch in the history of the kingdom.  Victoria reigned for nearly 64 years.

There are some people in Britain who still consider the British Monarchy to be power by divine right.  Their numbers are very low compared to people who think bonnie Prince Charles should just look pretty and occasionally make a speech or two.

Queen Elizabeth 2 is in incredibly good health for her age, she'll make it. :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/24/08 at 1:07 pm

There are some people in Britain who still consider the British Monarchy to be power by divine right.  Their numbers are very low compared to people who think bonnie Prince Charles should just look pretty and occasionally make a speech or two.

Queen Elizabeth 2 is in incredibly good health for her age, she'll make it. :)

That Divine Right of Kings thing got the first Charles into a bit of a jam!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/behead.gif

There must be a site somewhere dedicated to Britons for the Divine Right of Kings, maybe affiliated with the Flat Earth Society!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/24/08 at 1:22 pm

That Divine Right of Kings thing got the first Charles into a bit of a jam!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/behead.gif

There must be a site somewhere dedicated to Britons for the Divine Right of Kings, maybe affiliated with the Flat Earth Society!

I'm aware of what happened to Charles.

Yes, there are a few people who really like tradition, and probably a few that still consider the world flat.

So, it's probably a cult.  I'm not going to worry about it until they start looking fondly at the Tower of London.http://www.replay.ru/forum/style_emoticons/default/butcher.gif

Written By: McDonald on 03/25/08 at 10:00 am

Empire, my dear man. Empire.  :D

Actually, these days it's the Commonwealth, but it still remains that the UK is only one of 16 independent kingdoms with QE II as Monarch. 

Victoria's run was incredibly influential. So  much so in Canada that we still celebrate her birthday every year (Victoria Day, a.k.a. May Long). I think we're the only ones in all the 16 realms who do. Great time though. A nice long weekend just as summer's starting to crank up.

Written By: Zoso on 03/25/08 at 10:14 am

It's just because they had daughters, not sons. After Liz kicks the bucket I expect there will be a long line of kings before there's another queen.

Written By: Gis on 03/25/08 at 10:21 am

True.  Although not if I had any say in it
I'd rather have her than Brown.

Written By: karen on 03/25/08 at 11:27 am

Maybe.  We'd left before he took over so I don't know what he's like.

Written By: Gis on 03/25/08 at 11:32 am

Maybe.  We'd left before he took over so I don't know what he's like.
Flushing the country down the pan sadly.  :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/25/08 at 11:37 am

Flushing the country down the pan sadly.  :-\\

Taking cues from Bush no doubt.  ::)

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/27/08 at 6:35 pm

they're just huge Elton John fans... that's all.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/27/08 at 7:40 pm

Elton for King! 

Written By: Jessica on 03/27/08 at 7:52 pm

Elton for King! 

Queen, dude. Queen. ;D

Written By: Tia on 03/27/08 at 7:59 pm

Queen, dude. Queen. ;D
whatever, he's a switch hitter. :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/27/08 at 8:00 pm

Elton for Whatever!

Doesn't have much of a ring, does it?
:-\\

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/28/08 at 10:43 am

Kings? Queens? What I really want to know is, who is the Jack of England?!?  ??? ??? ???

http://www.madore.org/~david/images/cards/english/jack-diamonds.png

Elton for King! 

Queen, dude. Queen. ;D

whatever, he's a switch hitter. :P

You know what they say about Elton John...he's a great piano player, but he sucks on the organ.  :o :o :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/08 at 10:46 am

Kings? Queens? What I really want to know is, who is the Jack of England?!?  ??? ??? ???

http://www.madore.org/~david/images/cards/english/jack-diamonds.png

A jack was called the knave meaning a male servant from 16th Century.

Written By: Jessica on 03/28/08 at 10:55 am

You know what they say about Elton John...he's a great piano player, but he sucks on the organ.   :o :o :o

That was so bad that I'm going to have to give you karma. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/28/08 at 1:11 pm

Or a Freddie Mercury fan?  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 03/28/08 at 6:04 pm

Gordon has a better rack.. but that's about as far as I'll go.

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Politics/Pix/pictures/2006/05/04/01JohnPrescottChrisYoungPACROPPED.jpg

Of course, Fatty Two Jags has the best rack of all.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/29/08 at 9:11 pm

The Jack off England?
Tony Blair stepped down last year!
:D

Check for new replies or respond here...