» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: reverent wright's entire speech

Written By: Tia on 03/22/08 at 9:58 am

here's a shock: i think it's actually quite powerful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR8ctpnv1s8#B0YiKoExa1Q

i've listened to it three times now. it makes me want obama to be president even more, but makes me think it's unlikely he will be. :(

Subject: Re: reverent wright's entire speech

Written By: Tia on 03/22/08 at 10:03 am

at the end, when wright talks about "self-examination." glorious. i wish obama had stolen some of that for his own excellent speech.

Written By: loki 13 on 03/22/08 at 10:27 am

I just listened to his sermon and I only have one thing to say about him....unfortunately I
can't say it on this board and glorious is not an adjective I would use, a form of fertilizer maybe
but not glorious.

Just something else to think about. The Mayan calender says the world will end on Dec.21, 2012.
Nostradamus speaks of a third Antichrist who will rise to power around the same time frame. The
Antichrist will be a powerful speaker who will woo the younger generation and his followers and grow.
Only then will he unleash his true power.

Obama is very popular among the younger generation, he is a powerful speaker and is able to use his
speeches to wiggle out of any adversity. If elected in 2008 the end of his first term will be Nov. 2012.
Coincidence? Be careful what we wish for.

Written By: Tia on 03/22/08 at 10:55 am

I just listened to his sermon and I only have one thing to say about him....unfortunately I
can't say it on this board and glorious is not an adjective I would use, a form of fertilizer maybe
but not glorious.

Just something else to think about. The Mayan calender says the world will end on Dec.21, 2012.
Nostradamus speaks of a third Antichrist who will rise to power around the same time frame. The
Antichrist will be a powerful speaker who will woo the younger generation and his followers and grow.
Only then will he unleash his true power.

Obama is very popular among the younger generation, he is a powerful speaker and is able to use his
speeches to wiggle out of any adversity. If elected in 2008 the end of his first term will be Nov. 2012.
Coincidence? Be careful what we wish for.
the end of his term will in fact be in january 2013. as foreseen by billy joe bob, or somebody. ;D

there's this hilarious bit from christopher hitchens in "god is not great" about an astrologer who gets fired with a letter from his supervisor beginning, "as you no doubt will have foreseen..." now is not the time to bury ourselves in gobbledy gook. our problems are serious and will not be solved by fixating on pop cults like the neo-nostradamusists. (is that a word? well, i guess it is now.)

Written By: loki 13 on 03/22/08 at 11:11 am

the end of his term will in fact be in january 2013. as foreseen by billy joe bob, or somebody. ;D

there's this hilarious bit from christopher hitchens in "god is not great" about an astrologer who gets fired with a letter from his supervisor beginning, "as you no doubt will have foreseen..." now is not the time to bury ourselves in gobbledy gook. our problems are serious and will not be solved by fixating on pop cults like the neo-nostradamusists. (is that a word? well, i guess it is now.)

Very true, though he will still be in charge until January a new administration may be put in place. The transition period
will be a perfect situation for Obama to unleash his evil plot.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/devilsmile.gif

I just hope everyone knows I am being facetious. I don't believe in any of that fortune telling nonsense.

Written By: Tia on 03/22/08 at 11:21 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO5rMZE-Gts&feature=PlayList&p=80AC5780FDD68E7E&index=0&playnext=1

Written By: loki 13 on 03/22/08 at 11:39 am

This is what Reverend Wright and his ilk as well as all politicians want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4M9ctcE_wI&feature=related

Written By: Tia on 03/23/08 at 11:33 am

i dunno, this kind of cynicism is just too easy. there's nothing clever or useful about just saying everybody sucks. if we just say it's impossible for things to ever get better why dont we just kill ourselves and get it over with?

nah, i aint buying that.

Written By: Macphisto on 03/23/08 at 12:50 pm

The same is true of the warmongering crowd.  There are sheep on both sides.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/23/08 at 7:45 pm

Wright is right! It wasn't Rev. Wright who trashed America, it was the Bush Administration and the chickenscratch congress.  Get mad at them if you want.
::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/28/08 at 1:10 am

i dunno, this kind of cynicism is just too easy. there's nothing clever or useful about just saying everybody sucks. if we just say it's impossible for things to ever get better why dont we just kill ourselves and get it over with?

nah, i aint buying that.

Aaw, too bad.  We who remember Jeff Vogel's Scorched Earth Party coulda used you.

Written By: Tia on 03/28/08 at 8:34 am

Aaw, too bad.  We who remember Jeff Vogel's Scorched Earth Party coulda used you.

i bet they'll be running against these guys in 2012.

http://www.vhemt.org/

bring it!

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/28/08 at 11:36 pm

i bet they'll be running against these guys in 2012.

http://www.vhemt.org/

bring it!

You're on!
/raises a toast to the end of the race, and may he who dies with the most toys win!

My only beef (heh!) with VHEMT was that they took themselves too seriously.  I'm not childfree because I don't like the impact my species has upon other lifeforms.  I'm childfree (and a razor-slim minority among the childfree community) for precisely the opposite sort of reason:  because I really am a selfish jerk who wants to consume all the resources I can before they run out!

As for other lifeforms and human impact, as a capitalist, I'm for making the pie bigger.  If Earth can only sustain a population of a billion or two at US levels of energy consumption, then we either kill 5 billion people, or we increase the Earth's carrying capacity by outsourcing the messy stuff (principally materials/mining and energy generation) to offworld/orbital space and that sort of stuff.  Given cheap heavy lift vehicles (which we haven't figured out yet), the timeframes for travel between Earth and a near-earth orbiting asteroid (and the really low gravity wells associated with NEOs as opposed to the Moon or Mars) are exactly the sorts of timeframes and distances that worked with respect to the colonization of the New World.  There are trillions of dollars worth of metals (and continents' worth of living space) flying over our heads every year, and the minute that someone figures out a way for it to cost "less than trillions" of dollars to go get it, someone's gonna get spectacularly rich. 

But the spectacularly rich will be forgotten (how many people remember the fur and cotton tycoons of the 1600s-1800s, as compared to the founders of the American Revolution?) when stories like Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress stop being fiction and start being HOWTO guides.  Sorta like what the 21st century did with 1984, except that the 22nd-23rd will use books where the good guys have a chance at winning.  Pity we won't live to see it.

Written By: saver on 03/28/08 at 11:45 pm

So then why did Barack choose to separate himself from the guy if he balances his rants with good remarks...either you're for or agin and Obama left the folds leader.

Written By: Tia on 03/28/08 at 11:49 pm

either you're for or agin
this is where you've gone astray, my friend. it IS, in fact, possible to accept certain things about someone and not accept certain others. the world's not absolutes and, if you'll excuse the expression, black and white. mostly it's shades of gray.

Written By: saver on 03/29/08 at 4:47 pm

this is where you've gone astray, my friend. it IS, in fact, possible to accept certain things about someone and not accept certain others. the world's not absolutes and, if you'll excuse the expression, black and white. mostly it's shades of gray.

I wonder if that applies when you are campaigning for a coveted position....like another comnpany to work for? The new boss finds you worked for a cheater and liar, do you say....aside from that, the guy is great...WELL THEN, WHY'D YOU COME HERE?....

If you played the 'absolute' position- Yeah I left because he was an underhanded rotten scoundrel and I'M NOT and WILL NOT put up with it, I HAD to leave..I would revere you more.   

Written By: Tia on 03/29/08 at 7:15 pm

man, that obama is a heck of a guy.  8)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080329/pl_nm/usa_politics_dc_3

i'm thinking of getting an obama tattoo.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/29/08 at 7:23 pm

man, that obama is a heck of a guy.  8)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080329/pl_nm/usa_politics_dc_3

i'm thinking of getting an obama tattoo.

I may have to replace Richardson with Obama if this continues.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/29/08 at 8:53 pm

Obama is gonna get through this Reverend Wright thing because:

He's good enough;
He's smart enough;
and, doggone it,
People like him!

That's what it is, Obama has this uncanny knack for getting people to like him.  I don't know that we've seen anything like this since Ronald Reagan (the man not his policies)!

Consumer confidence is at it's lowest in 16 years, and that was about the time we told Daddy Bush to hit the bricks!

McCain is going to prove too much of an over-the-hill wingnut for people to want to vote for him.  It's only March and he's already shot an add with him as a POW identifying himself to the Vietnamese.  Who he was then isn't going exonerate him from who he is now.

Written By: Macphisto on 03/29/08 at 9:39 pm

After researching more about Obama's church, it seems like more and more things are showing up that indicate the craziness of Obama's congregation.  Less than a year ago, his church newsletter mentioned something about an ethnic bomb being developed by Israel and South Africa.  For whatever reason, the people running his church indulge in many conspiracy theories, and unfortunately, it's becoming apparent that there is a Religious Left nutjob element that counterbalances the Religious Right nutjob element.

Whatever the case, I think Obama is the least of multiple evils right now among the main candidates, but I might just write in Lou Dobbs at this point.  He's about the only political figure I truly agree with right now, and Obama might be a nice guy, but he keeps horrible company....  He needs to ditch that church like a bad habit....

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/30/08 at 3:44 am

Obama is gonna get through this Reverend Wright thing because:

He's good enough;
He's smart enough;
and, doggone it,
People like him!

That's what it is, Obama has this uncanny knack for getting people to like him.  I don't know that we've seen anything like this since Ronald Reagan (the man not his policies)!

Consumer confidence is at it's lowest in 16 years, and that was about the time we told Daddy Bush to hit the bricks!

McCain is going to prove too much of an over-the-hill wingnut for people to want to vote for him.  It's only March and he's already shot an add with him as a POW identifying himself to the Vietnamese.  Who he was then isn't going exonerate him from who he is now.

Karma for the anti-Bush and company fire and brimstone sermon.

Written By: Tia on 03/30/08 at 6:39 am

After researching more about Obama's church, it seems like more and more things are showing up that indicate the craziness of Obama's congregation.  Less than a year ago, his church newsletter mentioned something about an ethnic bomb being developed by Israel and South Africa.  For whatever reason, the people running his church indulge in many conspiracy theories, and unfortunately, it's becoming apparent that there is a Religious Left nutjob element that counterbalances the Religious Right nutjob element.

Whatever the case, I think Obama is the least of multiple evils right now among the main candidates, but I might just write in Lou Dobbs at this point.  He's about the only political figure I truly agree with right now, and Obama might be a nice guy, but he keeps horrible company....  He needs to ditch that church like a bad habit....

lou dobbs has got his own conspiracy theories going on.  :P

but if you think obama is the least of all evils, i guess i'll take it. just vote for him! lol. america can't take a mccain presidency, i'm pretty sure we'll sink into the sea like atlantis if that happens. :o

oh, by the way? ethnic bomb thing? totally true.

Written By: Jessica on 03/30/08 at 9:38 am

After researching more about Obama's church, it seems like more and more things are showing up that indicate the craziness of Obama's congregation.  Less than a year ago, his church newsletter mentioned something about an ethnic bomb being developed by Israel and South Africa.   For whatever reason, the people running his church indulge in many conspiracy theories, and unfortunately, it's becoming apparent that there is a Religious Left nutjob element that counterbalances the Religious Right nutjob element.

Well, if you want to get technical, you could probably research ANY church and find "dirty little secrets" about it. The only reason these ones came to light is because one of their members happens to be running for President.

Considering some of the things I've heard about various churches over the years, some old dude talking out of his ass about certain points isn't as bad as, oh say, molesting little kids, having rallies at fallen soldiers' funerals saying they died because "God hates f*gs", or preaching that anyone who isn't Christian is going to burn in the fiery pits of Hell. :)

On another note, here, watch Obama bowl really poorly:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/politics/2008/03/30/vo.obama.bowling.alley.cnn

Written By: Macphisto on 03/30/08 at 1:53 pm

I really hope you're being sarcastic.

Written By: Tia on 03/30/08 at 1:56 pm

I really hope you're being sarcastic.
sort of. it's not like the government has a history of being racist or anything. i'm sure there are plenty of folks in israel and south africa who WOULD do something like that if it were feasible and they thought they could get away with it.

Written By: Macphisto on 03/30/08 at 1:58 pm

sort of. it's not like the government has a history of being racist or anything. i'm sure there are plenty of folks in israel and south africa who WOULD do something like that if it were feasible and they thought they could get away with it.

I don't like Israel anymore than you probably do, but South Africa is being run by the black majority now.  Why would they participate in something like this?

Written By: Tia on 03/30/08 at 2:09 pm

I don't like Israel anymore than you probably do, but South Africa is being run by the black majority now.  Why would they participate in something like this?
i dunno. cuz they're lizards?

Written By: Macphisto on 03/30/08 at 2:29 pm

i dunno. cuz they're lizards?

The thing that really amused me about the claim made by this church is that they said the ethnic bomb was made to harm both Arabs and Blacks, so it showed just how ignorant they were about world affairs by including South Africa in the mix.

Written By: Tia on 03/30/08 at 2:34 pm

for the sake of clarity, i like israel fine. not too crazy about the current government over there, though.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/30/08 at 2:43 pm

for the sake of clarity, i like israel fine. not too crazy about the current government over there, though.

Isn't it a Fascism of sort?  That's what I've heard it compared to.  (Note not Nazism, but Fascism)

Written By: Tia on 03/30/08 at 2:59 pm

Isn't it a Fascism of sort?  That's what I've heard it compared to.  (Note not Nazism, but Fascism)
likud strikes me as pretty out there but it's not something i'd pretend to know much about.

Written By: Macphisto on 03/31/08 at 5:48 pm

It's not a Fascism, but they have some fascist tendencies.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/31/08 at 8:06 pm

You know who else loves Israel? Obama.
(He'd better!)
:o

Written By: Tia on 03/31/08 at 8:09 pm

You know who else loves Israel? Obama.
(He'd better!)
:o
but i thought obama was a black panther nation of islam guy? ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/31/08 at 8:44 pm

but i thought obama was a black panther nation of islam guy? ???

Picture Louis Farrhakhan in a prayer shawl.  You gotta do what you gotta do...

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/01/08 at 1:27 am

Gotta call foul on this one.

Researched by the South Africans during Apartheid, yes.  With Israeli help?  Maybe, but the Israelis would have abandoned any such collaboration as soon as they figured out that they were genetically indistinguishable from the Arabs.  Workable even for the South Africans?  No.  The project was a failure. 

Thank whatever deity you may or may not worship, but it just didn't work with the state of genetic engineering available to governments of the late 80s.  We've learned a lot since then, and gene therapy (as in the legitimate humanitarian use of viruses and/or retroviruses as the means to cure real genetic diseases) has been stalled since the mid-90s.  We can't even figure out how to cure cystic fibrosis by hacking influenza or rhinoviruses. That's a prize worth billions (and saves millions of lives). 

Turning a hacked flu/cold virus into something that can only be virulent in the presence of (for the pro-Apartheid South African government) activated melanin-secreting genes is only a theoretical possibility after a gene-therapy cure for CF has been succesfully tested and deployed.  Even if some Afrikaaner whackjobs came up with something that "worked" (for some genocidally-evil value of "worked'), the Israelis (and the Arabs) would still be both outa luck, because they're genetically indistinguishable.

Since nobody's stepped up with a multibillion-dollar genetic therapy for (insert disease here) that works on all ethnic groups, we can safely conclude that nobody's come up with a multimillion/billion-killing bioweapon targeted at (insert ethnic group here).  If the SA's or Israelis had actually figured out how to crack that particlar nut, their opponents would rapidly figure it out too, and while the species might not be extinct, humanity would probably be down to a few million humans who were lucky enough to be, by sheer mutant-freaky-accident, immune to the whatever plagues got unleashed during the war.

But for a great short story, google for Greg Egan's The Moral Virologist.  The full text of the story is available online.

Written By: Tia on 04/01/08 at 5:59 am

sorry, i was sorta joking. kinda like when i said that obama's a black panther. i just can't help myself.

Check for new replies or respond here...