» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: economy supttering!

Written By: Tia on 03/27/08 at 8:02 am

proofreaders no longer affordable!

http://i29.tinypic.com/w2bsbp.jpg

Subject: Re: economy supttering!

Written By: KKay on 03/27/08 at 8:57 am

a housing price report was issued a few days ago; no on e is gong t make money there.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/27/08 at 9:59 am

On the plus side, I might be able to afford a house for my family once I graduate!  :D

Written By: Jessica on 03/27/08 at 10:33 am

;D

Written By: Tia on 03/27/08 at 11:42 am

i know! another 20 percent drop and i'll be ready to buy!

i was strolling along embassy row today, they had some lovely townhomes there that i'd be willing to throw down a cool 75K on. 8)

(i'm sure they're like 1.2 million right now.)

Written By: MrCleveland on 03/28/08 at 9:29 am

Invest in Gold and Oill.

Or...start denting cans in the grocery store.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/28/08 at 5:36 pm

On the plus side, I might be able to afford a house for my family once I graduate!  :D

If you can find a job that pays  ::)

Written By: La Roche on 03/28/08 at 6:01 pm

This is great for me!

Skilled trade, always a demand.
Just got a cost of living increase and will be getting an actual raise - raise in September.
Bartering with the landlord in regard to the lease coming up in June, looks like I'll be saving $75 on the rent.

Crash and Burn Wall Street, I'll be right here waiting to invest in land!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/28/08 at 6:40 pm

This is great for me!

Just got a cost of living increase and will be getting an actual raise - raise in September.
Bartering with the landlord in regard to the lease coming up in June, looks like I'll be saving $75 on the rent.

Crash and Burn Wall Street, I'll be right here waiting to invest in land!

In the Great Depression there were skilled tradesman hopping boxcars all over this land!
::)

Written By: La Roche on 03/28/08 at 7:19 pm

In the Great Depression there were skilled tradesman hopping boxcars all over this land!
::)

They didn't have dual citizenship bro.  ;)

Written By: Macphisto on 03/28/08 at 8:50 pm

My business is ok.  When people can't afford to buy soap anymore, then it's past the point of no return.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/29/08 at 5:47 am

My business is ok.  When people can't afford to buy soap anymore, then it's past the point of no return.

Dawn for dishes can be stretched out for years, and is safe enough for your hands, face.......

Written By: Tia on 03/29/08 at 9:20 am

Dawn for dishes can be stretched out for years, and is safe enough for your hands, face.......

dawn = official soap of the End Times! 8)

Written By: Jessica on 03/29/08 at 10:14 am

This is true. I bought a jumbo sized bottle in 2006, BEFORE we moved from California. I still have a quarter of it left. :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/29/08 at 9:07 pm

Soap?  There are a lot of people here in Amherst who wouldn't miss it much!
8-P

Written By: Macphisto on 03/29/08 at 9:16 pm

The majority of our customers are institutions and restaurants, but I see what you mean.

Written By: Macphisto on 03/29/08 at 9:17 pm

Soap?  There are a lot of people here in Amherst who wouldn't miss it much!
8-P

...or Asheville, NC for that matter....

Written By: La Roche on 03/30/08 at 11:58 pm

This is true. I bought a jumbo sized bottle in 2006, BEFORE we moved from California. I still have a quarter of it left. :D

Damn!

Ya know, I have a question, has anybody else ever bought the real big toilet paper things? I bought a 24 pack of them back in October.. still working on it as we cruise in to April.

Written By: Jessica on 03/31/08 at 10:05 am

Damn!

Ya know, I have a question, has anybody else ever bought the real big toilet paper things? I bought a 24 pack of them back in October.. still working on it as we cruise in to April.

We have a Costco Warehouse membership. What do you think? :D

Our toilet paper doesn't last that long, but we get some good mileage out of it. ;D
Soap, toothpaste, shampoo, etc. usually lasts us 4-5 months. Jason eats like a pig, so it pays off to buy food in bulk as well.

Written By: La Roche on 04/03/08 at 8:05 pm

We have a Costco Warehouse membership. What do you think? :D

Our toilet paper doesn't last that long, but we get some good mileage out of it. ;D
Soap, toothpaste, shampoo, etc. usually lasts us 4-5 months. Jason eats like a pig, so it pays off to buy food in bulk as well.

That's probably because you're a woman.. how do you guys use so much toilet paper? It's insane!

Written By: Step-chan on 04/03/08 at 8:08 pm

proofreaders no longer affordable!

http://i29.tinypic.com/w2bsbp.jpg

LOL

Good one. ;D

Written By: Jessica on 04/03/08 at 9:59 pm

That's probably because you're a woman.. how do you guys use so much toilet paper? It's insane!

I think your first sentence is correct. ;D

Written By: Red Ant on 04/06/08 at 12:49 am

Not always. The construction industry here has gone to sheesh, especially with new homes. Repair and commercial are still doing okay though. The newest guy on our job did metal stud work for 15 years prior... he's making more as an apprentice in telecom than he could make in his trade now - if he could even get a job.

Machinists, welders, glass-blowers, pipe fitters: I know far too many of these folks that are doing other things because a)there is no work in their fields to be had or b)there's work to be had, but with lousy wages and bad benefits (malefits?)

By the end of the year I may have to switch jobs or pick up some part time work to pay the bills. New hotel construction (our bread and butter) is slowing down, and I'm still at a loss as to how our boss managed to low bid a job 400 miles away from here, as well as one in Texas later this year. Hell, the trip charge alone for 3 people from VA there and back is over 2k.

Anyone notice that three airlines in the past week have folded and are/will file Chapter 13?

Ant

Written By: danootaandme on 04/06/08 at 5:16 am

Not always. The construction industry here has gone to sheesh, especially with new homes. Repair and commercial are still doing okay though. The newest guy on our job did metal stud work for 15 years prior... he's making more as an apprentice in telecom than he could make in his trade now - if he could even get a job.

Machinists, welders, glass-blowers, pipe fitters: I know far too many of these folks that are doing other things because a)there is no work in their fields to be had or b)there's work to be had, but with lousy wages and bad benefits (malefits?)

By the end of the year I may have to switch jobs or pick up some part time work to pay the bills. New hotel construction (our bread and butter) is slowing down, and I'm still at a loss as to how our boss managed to low bid a job 400 miles away from here, as well as one in Texas later this year. Hell, the trip charge alone for 3 people from VA there and back is over 2k.

Anyone notice that three airlines in the past week have folded and are/will file Chapter 13?

Ant

Yesyes.  I work in construction, (why is it that some people think the different vocations enveloped under the category of construction are not skilled trades?) and all the trades are suffering terribly.  There are cabinet makers filling out applications for Home Depot, which isn't hiring anyway.  The countries manufacturing base has been swiss cheesed, the construction industry decimated, our food production farmed out(pardon the oun), and without those the service industry cannot survive.  Things are only going to get worse before they get better.

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/06/08 at 11:40 am

Yesyes.  I work in construction, (why is it that some people think the different vocations enveloped under the category of construction are not skilled trades?) and all the trades are suffering terribly.  There are cabinet makers filling out applications for Home Depot, which isn't hiring anyway.  The countries manufacturing base has been swiss cheesed, the construction industry decimated, our food production farmed out(pardon the oun), and without those the service industry cannot survive.  Things are only going to get worse before they get better.

It's all because of NAFTA.

And this is what I will give to NAFTA. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/thefinger_red.gif

Written By: Red Ant on 04/06/08 at 1:21 pm

Certain construction trades require more skill than others, but all require skill. Hanging sheetrock requires nowhere near the skill that operating a crane does.

I separated out the four trades that I did because they are not generally involved in smaller building construction (and by smaller, I mean less than four stories high, which is about the maximum here due to zoning issues). Installing, say, a sprinkler system doesn't usually require a pipefitter, though many of the people in that field come from that trade.

What you said about cabinet makers is 100% on the money. Almost all furniture nowadays is pre-fab stuff from China. I know one really good cabinet man: he does high end remodeling (when he can get it) to make it.

~~~

I didn't notice it when I initially posted on this thread that the title was mispelled. The I looked again at the picture Tia posted. lol.

Ant

Written By: danootaandme on 04/06/08 at 3:38 pm

It's all because of NAFTA.

And this is what I will give to NAFTA. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/thefinger_red.gif

Don't blame it all on NAFTA.  The American public rolls over like lap dogs and let's it all happen. 

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/06/08 at 10:57 pm

Don't blame it all on NAFTA.  The American public rolls over like lap dogs and let's it all happen. 

Okay...25% of it was NAFTA, 25% of it was Wilson, 20% of it was lazy spoiled Americans, 25% of it is Corporation, and 5% of it is this Administration (Mostly Cheny since he was there since the 70's.)

Written By: danootaandme on 04/07/08 at 5:01 pm

Okay...25% of it was NAFTA, 25% of it was Wilson, 20% of it was lazy spoiled Americans, 25% of it is Corporation, and 5% of it is this Administration (Mostly Cheny since he was there since the 70's.)

5%!!!! (heavy sigh). 

Check for new replies or respond here...