» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: How The World Sees Us

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/03/08 at 4:57 am

Global Views of USA Improve

For the times they are a-changin'

Subject: Re: How The World See Us

Written By: Tia on 04/03/08 at 5:49 am

i hope that's still the same after this election cycle.  :-\\ the smear job the right wing puts on obama is going to be truly hideous.

i think it will, though, i think obama is gonna win and things in this country are gonna turn around. hell, even if mccain wins this will be a marginally more likable country. i'll be honest with you, there was a time i sorta liked mccain, he doesn't seem like that bad a guy, and hell, anything that brings the bush presidency to an end will be a blessing. bush has been the worst curse this country has ever witnessed. (well, the civil war and vietnam were probably still worse periods in american history, to be fair, but still, as far as single people who have hurt america, he definitely takes the cake.)

Written By: Bobby on 04/03/08 at 6:48 am

Needless to say, I think most of the world's negativity towards the US is based around George Bush and, I believe, the negative factor is diminishing as we prepare for a change of president.

I get the impression that George Bush's presidency is like an unstable vehicle that has sped out of control. The issue is whether he crashes into something soft or takes people down with him. It will be interesting to see if Bush still has an effect on the US after his presidency has finished.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/03/08 at 12:56 pm

Bobby's got a point.  I too think things will get better after Bush is gone.  Perhaps a country will go as far as to charge Bush with War Crimes.

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/04/08 at 11:12 am

Sometimes i get the feeling that other countries are more excited about a real change happening in America than americans themselves. I know some must say "well that's none of your business and you don't know the truth about our reality because you don't live here" but is also true that at times it takes someone from the outside to help figure out some issues. For instance,when i was back in Europe these last years i had a lot of people coming up to me talking about Brazil as a land of opportunity because even though most of the news we had from Brazil was about gang violence and corruption in politics,they would see past that and understand the economical growth of Brazil in the past years emerging as a sort of superpower not only in South America but also worldwide.

However when i would call and talk with my family and friends here they would complain about how hard life was. Now we brazilians are also realizing how different our country is turning to be,we still have a lot of problems and there are times i despair because i remember how more efficient life was back in Europe or in the US but we all have to agree that we are on the right path now and it's exciting to be part of it living here and seeing it happening.

I don't know what really is at stake in this polls,i know if they would ask me i would say Germany influence is not as positive as they show here and i think China should be closer to the last place. But it also shows how quickly opinions change and that is what's truly positive. When it's time for you guys to vote i don't think you should be too worried about what the rest of the world says but think a little about it too because the american way has a chance to be an example again and now it's up to the voters to make it happen.

Written By: Tia on 04/04/08 at 12:10 pm

i think here there's still a bunch of after-effects of 911 going on, it's gonna be a change of generational impact here, and most of the impact, unfortunately, has been negative. one has been, i think, that a lot of people distrust the outside world -- rather than being merely ignorant of it, like they used to be -- i swear it seems like there's a bunch of people in america now who see the rest of the world as that big place where there might be people planning to fly planes into our buildings.

Written By: Tia on 04/04/08 at 12:11 pm

sorta like this guy.

http://images.villagevoice.com/issues/0639/tmw-big.jpg

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/04/08 at 2:35 pm

i think here there's still a bunch of after-effects of 911 going on, it's gonna be a change of generational impact here, and most of the impact, unfortunately, has been negative. one has been, i think, that a lot of people distrust the outside world -- rather than being merely ignorant of it, like they used to be -- i swear it seems like there's a bunch of people in america now who see the rest of the world as that big place where there might be people planning to fly planes into our buildings.

Yes i can understand that but at the same time maybe americans are afraid or maybe it's just because you were heroes for so long and now you still have more enemies than friends. 9/11 cannot be used as an "excuse" forever,you know? It happened and it was tragic and the world wept beside you all but now is time to move on and realise the vengeance seeking is ruining you as a nation too.

Written By: Tia on 04/04/08 at 2:37 pm

Yes i can understand that but at the same time maybe americans are afraid or maybe it's just because you were heroes for so long and now you still have more enemies than friends. 9/11 cannot be used as an "excuse" forever,you know? It happened and it was tragic and the world wept beside you all but now is time to move on and realise the vengeance seeking is ruining you as a nation too.
well yeah *we* know that! you gotta help us convince this guy!

http://growabrain.typepad.com/growabrain/Morans.jpg

Written By: karen on 04/04/08 at 2:41 pm

He was talking about his neighbours, the Moran family!

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/04/08 at 2:45 pm

Oops sorry i didn't mean you,i meant America! Wait you are America :P

He was talking about his neighbours, the Moran family!

Nice one ;D

Written By: Tia on 04/04/08 at 2:47 pm

Oops sorry i didn't mean you,i meant America! Wait you are America :P
i was reading the Mad Magazine spoof of "easy rider" on the exercise bike today... "they went looking for america and couldn't find it anywhere." we're a tricky place, we are. we have dinosaur parks AND cappacino stores, smart people AND dumb people!  :P

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/04/08 at 3:16 pm

i was reading the Mad Magazine spoof of "easy rider" on the exercise bike today... "they went looking for america and couldn't find it anywhere." we're a tricky place, we are. we have dinosaur parks AND cappacino stores, smart people AND dumb people!  :P

What is cappacino?

Written By: Tia on 04/04/08 at 3:19 pm

i meant cuppucccino. or something. i dunno, i never been able to spell it. i can spell dinosaur park though! and moran.

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/05/08 at 2:48 pm

sorta like this guy.

http://images.villagevoice.com/issues/0639/tmw-big.jpg

I actually like his stuff.

And the reason why America is having a better look is that Bush right now is touring the world, and thus far everything is going smooth.

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/06/08 at 7:25 am

I actually like his stuff.

And the reason why America is having a better look is that Bush right now is touring the world, and thus far everything is going smooth.

It is?  :o

I can tell you why overhere the US image improved...Obama!

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/06/08 at 11:37 am

It is?  :o

I can tell you why overhere the US image improved...Obama!

What I meant was his foreign policy...other than that, he sucks! (Not like Nixon or Carter sucks, but bad enough.)

Written By: La Roche on 04/06/08 at 8:58 pm

I'm always so proud when my state is represented by such a noble and intellectual ambassador.

Subject: Re: How The World Sees Us

Written By: philbo on 04/07/08 at 7:20 am

I hope (for everyone's sake) that the world changes its opinion of the US after Bush, but I rather fear that the places where it needs to change most (like across the Middle East), they won't even realize there's been a change at the top.  Hate propaganda has been peddled to the extent that even 9/11 was greeted with cheering in a lot of Arab states, and that was before Bush got going.

ISTM that Obama were he to be elected, would have the potential to change the view of the US from overseas more than any other candidate or previous incumbent... if he does win, I really hope he's got some world-class advisers (unlike the current crowd).

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/07/08 at 11:43 am

I hope (for everyone's sake) that the world changes its opinion of the US after Bush, but I rather fear that the places where it needs to change most (like across the Middle East), they won't even realize there's been a change at the top.  Hate propaganda has been peddled to the extent that even 9/11 was greeted with cheering in a lot of Arab states, and that was before Bush got going.

ISTM that Obama were he to be elected, would have the potential to change the view of the US from overseas more than any other candidate or previous incumbent... if he does win, I really hope he's got some world-class advisers (unlike the current crowd).

I think if a real change in the US foreign policy occurs then in time the Middle East will change their views as well. And if they won't then at least the US won't be ostracized by the rest of the world like has been happening in the last years. There will always be groups who see the US as an enemy but what America should focus right now is on regaining the trust of those who were once allies.

Written By: philbo on 04/07/08 at 1:21 pm

There will always be groups who see the US as an enemy but what America should focus right now is on regaining the trust of those who were once allies.

Agreed.

Check for new replies or respond here...