» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: The Liberal/Conservative Thread

Written By: Tia on 04/04/08 at 11:57 am

there will be one conservative and one liberal thing. guess which is which and then post one liberal and one conservative thing yourself.

http://images.villagevoice.com/issues/0640/tmw-big.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/224/499334262_3a5394bd90.jpg

Subject: Re: The Liberal/Conservative Thread

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/04/08 at 1:55 pm

I would assume the top one is a liberal slant and the bottom one is a conservative slant.

Am I supposed to post cartoons or just a thought?

1.  Let's help everyone who needs it even though money is finite!

2.  Let's bomb the hell out of North Korea because they suck!

:D

Written By: Tia on 04/04/08 at 4:17 pm

i'm gonna say 1 is liberal, 2 is conservative.

how bout this?

1. "If characters from "The Hills" were to emote about race, I imagine it would sound like B. Hussein Obama's autobiography, "Dreams From My Father."

Has anybody read this book? Inasmuch as the book reveals Obama to be a flabbergasting lunatic, I gather the answer is no. Obama is about to be our next president: You might want to take a peek. If only people had read "Mein Kampf" ...

Nearly every page -- save the ones dedicated to cataloguing the mundane details of his life -- is bristling with anger at some imputed racist incident. The last time I heard this much race-baiting invective I was ... in my usual front-row pew, as I am every Sunday morning, at Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago.

Obama tells a story about taking two white friends from the high school basketball team to a "black party." Despite their deep-seated, unconscious hatred of blacks, the friends readily accepted. At the party, they managed not to scream the N-word, but instead "made some small talk, took a couple of the girls out on the dance floor."

2. Democrats seem to have found the one criticism that gets John McCain angrier than anything else — bring up his comments about keeping U.S. troops in Iraq for “100 years.” Every time a high profile Dem (Clinton, Obama, Dean, et al) mentions this, he becomes enraged and insists his comments have been mischaracterized.

It’s true that McCain did not, as a point of fact, indicate that he wants to see the ongoing war continue until 2108, but rather, he envisions thousands of American troops “maintaining a presence” in the country for 100 years, after some semblance of stability has been established. They’re not, to be fair, the same thing.

As far as the McCain campaign is concerned, this realization should effectively end the controversy. Joe Klein argues that McCain’s confused about this, too.

"The problem with John McCain’s 100 years in Iraq formulation isn’t that he’s calling for 95 more years of combat — he isn’t — but that he thinks you can have a long-term basing arrangement in Iraq similar to those we have in Germany or Korea. That betrays a fairly acute lack of knowledge about both Iraq and Islam. It may well be possible to station U.S. troops in small, peripheral kingdoms like Dubai or Kuwait, but Iraq is — and has always been — volatile, tenuous, centrally-located and nearly as sensitive to the presence of infidels as Saudi Arabia. It is a terrible candidate for a long-term basing agreement."

Quite right. I’d just add, however, that McCain already knows this. In fact, he’s admitted as much.

The point seems to have been largely forgotten, but back in November, after months of insisting that Korea could be a model for a long-term troop presence in Iraq, McCain abandoned this position, saying he doesn’t want to use Korea as a model, and adding that the “nature of the society in Iraq” and the “religious aspects” of the country make withdrawal inevitable.

Soon after, McCain went back to his original position again, saying that a Korean model is entirely appropriate. So, for those keeping score at home, McCain 1) endorsed a multi-decade presence in Iraq; 2) denounced a multi-decade presence in Iraq; 3) re-embraced his first point; and 4) blasted those who agreed with his second point as being incompetent.

At the risk of sounding impolite, this guy is starting to make Bush look like he’s engaged and knowledgeable.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/07/08 at 3:53 pm

Bush just seems stubborn and wrong-headed.  McCain comes across as disoriented, calling to mind Reagan's second term.  The difference is Reagan was always cordial, except one time he called reporters "sons of bitches," but that's fair enough I suppose.
:P

Sometimes Tom Tomorrow is the only thing worth reading in our weekly freebie.  Check out the way he portrays right-wing syncophants and then check out "Fox and Friends."  Eerily similar!

Written By: philbo on 04/08/08 at 3:02 am

1. "If characters from "The Hills" were to emote about race, I imagine it would sound like B. Hussein Obama's autobiography, "Dreams From My Father."

Has anybody read this book? Inasmuch as the book reveals Obama to be a flabbergasting lunatic, I gather the answer is no. Obama is about to be our next president: You might want to take a peek. If only people had read "Mein Kampf" ...

Oh, great: does this really mean that the three presidential hopefuls are a flabbergasting lunatic, a liar (sorry, "mis-speaker") and another dimwit who by now doesn't even know who the enemy is in the Middle East?

Still, who am I to comment?  After all, we've got the dour charisma-free zone that is Gordon Brown and two old Etonian toffs as opposition.  How soon can they terraform Mars so that I can emigrate?

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/08/08 at 4:13 am

Bush just seems stubborn and wrong-headed.  McCain comes across as disoriented, calling to mind Reagan's second term.  The difference is Reagan was always cordial, except one time he called reporters "sons of bitches," but that's fair enough I suppose.

Offtopic:  I don't recall (heh!) the incident of which you speak, but I've got a track with Dan Rather saying "Sons-of-bitches, keep your mouth shut!" in Emergency Broadcast Network's Get Down (from 1995's album Telecommunication Breakdown).  Was Dan quoting Reagan as part of some news report about that incident? 

Written By: Tia on 04/08/08 at 6:21 am

Oh, great: does this really mean that the three presidential hopefuls are a flabbergasting lunatic, a liar (sorry, "mis-speaker") and another dimwit who by now doesn't even know who the enemy is in the Middle East?

Still, who am I to comment?  After all, we've got the dour charisma-free zone that is Gordon Brown and two old Etonian toffs as opposition.  How soon can they terraform Mars so that I can emigrate?
you're quoting ann coulter, so i wouldnt take it too seriously as she is a drooling lunatic. :)

Written By: philbo on 04/08/08 at 6:58 am

you're quoting ann coulter, so i wouldnt take it too seriously as she is a drooling lunatic. :)

That's Ann Coulter comparing Obama to Hitler?  Why am I not surprised?

..but it does leave Obama as the only candidate not so far being caught out either barefaced lying or being worryingly ill-informed

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/08/08 at 10:08 am

There's another comic strip with the same ideal.  Anyone ever heard of Prickly City?  You can read it on yahoo comics.  Carmen's the Conservative and Winslow is the Liberal.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u229/sirhcleman808/prickleycity.gif

Written By: Tia on 04/08/08 at 10:22 am

There's another comic strip with the same ideal.  Anyone ever heard of Prickly City?  You can read it on yahoo comics.  Carmen's the Conservative and Winslow is the Liberal.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u229/sirhcleman808/prickleycity.gif
ah yes, i saw that strip and was trying to think of the name to put it here! great minds think alike. i get the impression the strip itself is conservative overall, yes? or am i being paranoid?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/08/08 at 10:26 am

ah yes, i saw that strip and was trying to think of the name to put it here! great minds think alike. i get the impression the strip itself is conservative overall, yes? or am i being paranoid?

It is by a conservative, but every once in a while he really nails it.  For being a conservative cartoon it has cute quality beyond belief.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/08/08 at 8:16 pm

Offtopic:  I don't recall (heh!) the incident of which you speak, but I've got a track with Dan Rather saying "Sons-of-bitches, keep your mouth shut!" in Emergency Broadcast Network's Get Down (from 1995's album Telecommunication Breakdown).  Was Dan quoting Reagan as part of some news report about that incident? 

Oh yeah, I remember that record!  I think the Rather quote was from somewhere else.  The Reagan SOB incident from NYT:

AN EXPLETIVE FROM REAGAN

AP
Published: March 1, 1986

President Reagan, at the end of a picture-taking session today at which reporters were seeking to question him about the Philippines, turned to an aide and said, ''Sons of bitches!''

The remark, picked up by White House microphones, was clearly audible in the White House press room where other reporters were monitoring the session in the Cabinet Room.

Later, as he left for his Camp David retreat in Maryland, Mr. Reagan was asked by reporters whom he had in mind. He replied, ''I thought it was one of you saying it about us.''

After a chorus of ''No,'' the President, smiling, said, ''It wasn't me.''

Although White House aides had unplugging some television crew's cables from the White House sound system, a CBS News videotape showed Mr. Reagan uttering the words.

The Presidential spokesman, Larry Speakes, asked about Mr. Reagan's comment, said the President ''doesn't recall saying it - he doesn't recall anybody else saying it.''

''If he said anything,'' Speakes added, ''he said, 'It's sunny, and you're rich.' ''

'86 was when folks really began scratching their heads and asking, "Is this guy all there?"

Jello Biafra mentions this incident on his first spoken word album "No More Cocoons." (1987 Alternative Tentacles)

That's Ann Coulter comparing Obama to Hitler?  Why am I not surprised?

..but it does leave Obama as the only candidate not so far being caught out either barefaced lying or being worryingly ill-informed

Coulter would make a good Eva Braun!
:P

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/08/08 at 11:31 pm

Oh yeah, I remember that record!  I think the Rather quote was from somewhere else.  The Reagan SOB incident from NYT:

''If he said anything,'' Speakes added, ''he said, 'It's sunny, and you're rich.' ''

Karma for the backstory.  Sounds like Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau explaining how he really said "fuddle duddle".  (That happened way before my time.  I wonder if anyone ever got that on tape...)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/10/08 at 9:15 am

Karma for the backstory.  Sounds like Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau explaining how he really said "fuddle duddle".  (That happened way before my time.  I wonder if anyone ever got that on tape...)

Or the time they claimed Mayor Daley was calling Sen. Ribicoff a "faker" at the 1968 convention!
http://www-cgi.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1996/conventions/chicago/facts/chicago68/index.shtml

That's right, just mouth it so you can claim you were only saying "vacuum"!
:D

Check for new replies or respond here...