» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Warren Jeffs and his cult compound.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/08/08 at 10:24 am

Anyone been keeping up with the story?

Here's the latest . . .

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080405/ts_alt_afp/usrightspolygamysect;_ylt=AiC1Kie73vIXL5Kx30hhPUQ7Xs8F

At least it's going better than Wacco.

Subject: Re: Warren Jeffs and his cult compound.

Written By: Step-chan on 04/08/08 at 6:40 pm

And people call the "furries" crowd sick.

They better keep that guy away from the other inmates.... Wait a second, maybe they should let him "mingle" with the other inmates... Man, I can be so evil sometimes.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/08/08 at 7:54 pm

The more adolescent girls you get to "marry," with all that marriage entails, the higher your status in the cult.  That's the impression I got from the reports.
8-P

Well, they rescued at least some of the girls and young women and Jeffs is out of circulation.  No shoot outs, no fireballs, so this is pretty good considering our government's usual rapport with religious whackos.  Let's hope this abomination is snuffed out with no further violence. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/09/08 at 10:43 am

The more adolescent girls you get to "marry," with all that marriage entails, the higher your status in the cult.  That's the impression I got from the reports.
8-P

Well, they rescued at least some of the girls and young women and Jeffs is out of circulation.  No shoot outs, no fireballs, so this is pretty good considering our government's usual rapport with religious whackos.  Let's hope this abomination is snuffed out with no further violence. 

I heard a sex offender joined so he could "marry" someone not of legal age.

They've got most of the women and children out.  There were a few arrest, nothing major.  The kids and some of the women are going through serious culture shock.  I think things have been handled very well.

Written By: saver on 04/09/08 at 6:01 pm

Oh sure! Double standards, when I try to hook up with unmarried girls, they look down on me but do it in the name of religion and lawyers jump in to help stick up for the rights of the seducer! Now if I start a magazine.... maybe I could..(mmmmmmmm)! I got an idea!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/09/08 at 6:11 pm

Oh sure! Double standards, when I try to hook up with unmarried girls, they look down on me but do it in the name of religion and lawyers jump in to help stick up for the rights of the seducer! Now if I start a magazine.... maybe I could..(mmmmmmmm)! I got an idea!

Start a cult!!!

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/09/08 at 11:23 pm

Start a cult!!!

Already been done

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/10/08 at 9:05 am

I heard a sex offender joined so he could "marry" someone not of legal age.

They've got most of the women and children out.  There were a few arrest, nothing major.  The kids and some of the women are going through serious culture shock.  I think things have been handled very well.

Some of them had never been beyond the confines of the cult in their lives.  It's little better than human trafficking, the worst of which has yet to be detected, I'm afraid.
>:(

I know what you're trying to say, but the way you're saying it kinda grosses me out!
8-P

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/10/08 at 3:39 pm

Already been done

Perfect your brain washing skills.  Remember too, a cult requires financial resources.  One heck of a career choice buddy.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/10/08 at 3:43 pm

Some of them had never been beyond the confines of the cult in their lives.  It's little better than human trafficking, the worst of which has yet to be detected, I'm afraid.
>:(
I know what you're trying to say, but the way you're saying it kinda grosses me out!
8-P

They're only now starting to get the real information from the female members.  It's pretty bad.  Human trafficking and breeding for the purpose of extending the cult.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/10/08 at 5:52 pm

They're only now starting to get the real information from the female members.  It's pretty bad.  Human trafficking and breeding for the purpose of extending the cult.

It doesn't sound much like females get to be "members" so much as chattel.  The cult posted armed guards for a reason.  Creeeeepy!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/11/08 at 4:59 pm

It doesn't sound much like females get to be "members" so much as chattel.  The cult posted armed guards for a reason.  Creeeeepy!

Authorities found beds in the chapel and documents on cyanide poisoning.  If they're any doubt that Jeffs cult was a CULT and not a an off shoot of the Mormons that should put it to rest.  I hope they give Jeffs a retrial and tack on more charges.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/11/08 at 8:48 pm

Authorities found beds in the chapel and documents on cyanide poisoning.  If they're any doubt that Jeffs cult was a CULT and not a an off shoot of the Mormons that should put it to rest.  I hope they give Jeffs a retrial and tack on more charges.

OMG! It's like Jeff Foxworthy or something:

"You know you're in a whacko cult when...."

:D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/12/08 at 2:11 pm

OMG! It's like Jeff Foxworthy or something:

"You know you're in a whacko cult when...."

Most people would find the pamphlets and the decor a bit disturbing.  I don't think Jeffs got the anyone with an IQ of above 70 in his cult.

Call Jeff Foxworthy, I think you've just discovered his much needed new matterial. ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/13/08 at 7:49 am

Most people would find the pamphlets and the decor a bit disturbing.  I don't think Jeffs got the anyone with an IQ of above 70 in his cult.

It would be certainly a mistake to think that.  Assuming that the opponent is stupid is not a very good way to prevail.

I would guess that the intelligence level of the Jeffs Gang is much like the population at large.  You probably have quite a few people with IQ of 150+ as well as the normal share of 70-.

If you are brought up in that sort of situation from birth, and that is all you know, your intelligence will only take you so far.  You'll use your intelligence to further that in which you believe, oddball or not.

Those people are not stupid, they are twisted.  8-P

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/13/08 at 10:46 am

It would be certainly a mistake to think that.  Assuming that the opponent is stupid is not a very good way to prevail.

I would guess that the intelligence level of the Jeffs Gang is much like the population at large.  You probably have quite a few people with IQ of 150+ as well as the normal share of 70-.

If you are brought up in that sort of situation from birth, and that is all you know, your intelligence will only take you so far.  You'll use your intelligence to further that in which you believe, oddball or not.

Those people are not stupid, they are twisted.  8-P

Perhaps, but I'm wondering how someone like Jeffs could keep the cult as strong as it is?  You must remember his father started it.  I can understand the situation of people who are born into it.  However Warren Jeffs must have had the same EQ (emotional quotient) as his father in order to keep it going.  Not only to keep it going but to bring in new members.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/15/08 at 7:19 pm

Perhaps, but I'm wondering how someone like Jeffs could keep the cult as strong as it is?  You must remember his father started it.  I can understand the situation of people who are born into it.  However Warren Jeffs must have had the same EQ (emotional quotient) as his father in order to keep it going.  Not only to keep it going but to bring in new members.

He declared to his "mothers" after the old man's death, "You women are going to act like Father's in the next room!"  Then he married 'em all.  He's sort of a cross between Norman Bates and King Oedipus!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/15/08 at 7:55 pm

He declared to his "mothers" after the old man's death, "You women are going to act like Father's in the next room!"  Then he married 'em all.  He's sort of a cross between Norman Bates and King Oedipus!

He does look a bit like Norman Bates.  Oedipus complex to the 14 degree.  Downside, can you imagine the nagging?  Most men can hardly deal with one wife.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/22/08 at 9:38 am

He does look a bit like Norman Bates.  Oedipus complex to the 14 degree.  Downside, can you imagine the nagging?  Most men can hardly deal with one wife.

Weeell, I don't think "nagging" is much of a problem, less'n they want the tar beat out of 'em!  We're used to this monogamy thing with some sense of domestic equality.  Marital dynamics are a bit different in polygamist households, especially ones that marry off 14-year-olds!
::)

Check for new replies or respond here...