» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Anybody else not like hearing Obama...

Written By: saver on 04/24/08 at 9:17 pm

Wheher this is a new campaign against Obama, heard the audio clip of how Obama voted not to give the death penalty  to gang members or in a certain case...
He voted against it playing out...I am swaying ...... if true..that means a lot in my books..

Subject: Re: Anybody else not like hearing Obama...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/24/08 at 11:49 pm

I am proud of Obama for resisting the pressure of right-wing emotionalism.  I am against the death penalty.  Period.  Killing more people does not solve anything. 

The only way these dim-witted attempts at smear from the Right are going to hurt the Dems is if the Dems don't have the cajones to reply with vigor.  John Kerry didn't nail those phony Swiftboaters because he wanted to transcend their BS.  The problem is his refusal to address it head-on made him look weak.  Kerry wouldn't have had to spend much time with it.  All he would have had to do is personally expose the little Nixon snitch in charge of the phony operation for what he was.
::)

Written By: saver on 04/25/08 at 1:00 am

Killing more people does not solve anything. 

::)

As I say to  all the Mike Farrells' and 'heads up their butts' whiners....do the math ..kill a killer HE'S NOT AROUND TO KILL ANYMORE,THINK OF KILLING ANYMORE, or ASKING 'OTHERS' TO KILL FOR HIM.

Even psyciatrists will tell you 'some people need to be killed' they are scum and have no chance for rehab...and these are people who try to get into the mind for a living..when someone even says 'let me out, I'll kill again' what is the choice?

Written By: limblifter on 04/25/08 at 3:40 am

As I say to  all the Mike Farrells' and 'heads up their butts' whiners....do the math ..kill a killer HE'S NOT AROUND TO KILL ANYMORE,THINK OF KILLING ANYMORE, or ASKING 'OTHERS' TO KILL FOR HIM.

Even psyciatrists will tell you 'some people need to be killed' they are scum and have no chance for rehab...and these are people who try to get into the mind for a living..when someone even says 'let me out, I'll kill again' what is the choice?

I noticed that you quoted a psychiatrist recommending killing someone, yet failed to provide a link to a reliable source actually quoting a reliable doctor. ??? Unless of course you are referring to Dr. Loomis from the Halloween movies. Then yes, I agree with you, Michael Myers is evil!!

Written By: Davester on 04/25/08 at 6:41 am

Obama's poetic rhetoric has yet to produce any kind of appealing ideas or practical solutions, IMO...

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/25/08 at 12:21 pm

Well, this is another thread entirely, but the death penalty does not deter killers  ::)

Written By: saver on 04/25/08 at 3:09 pm

I noticed that you quoted a psychiatrist recommending killing someone, yet failed to provide a link to a reliable source actually quoting a reliable doctor. ??? Unless of course you are referring to Dr. Loomis from the Halloween movies. Then yes, I agree with you, Michael Myers is evil!!

I listened frequently to the late Dr. David Viscott(KABC RADIO)..He was the one who said he has been to meet with many people in prison who have hacked people to death among heinous acts and that no rehabiltiation can set them straight and that some just have to be killed, they are the scourge of humanity.
They constantly threaten and even ask to be killed so they would not get out eventually and HAVE to kill again.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/25/08 at 7:19 pm

Even if that's true, it does not address the issue of why people kill in the first place and whether the threat of capital punishment actually stops them. 

Written By: philbo on 04/26/08 at 6:13 am

They constantly threaten and even ask to be killed so they would not get out eventually and HAVE to kill again.

If they're that worried about it, they can kill themselves - why ask for the state to do the job for them?

Even if that's true, it does not address the issue of why people kill in the first place and whether the threat of capital punishment actually stops them. 

We have been over this plenty of times before: the evidence is very clear that capital punishment has no measurable deterrent effect whatsoever.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/26/08 at 6:31 am

^ And all those god-fearing, bible thumpers, who love to put their words gods mouth always seem to deviate when it comes to "Thou Shalt Not Kill"  I don't see an unless or but in there.  Where is that moral imperative?

Written By: Jessica on 04/26/08 at 8:54 am

It sure in the hell isn't deterring the bullschitt over here.

This is what we're dealing with this weekend because of some asshats and their lovely use of firearms last weekend AND the fact that over 20 innocent children have been killed:

Chicago Police Out In Droves This Weekend

:-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/26/08 at 12:31 pm

It sure in the hell isn't deterring the bullschitt over here.

This is what we're dealing with this weekend because of some asshats and their lovely use of firearms last weekend AND the fact that over 20 innocent children have been killed:

Chicago Police Out In Droves This Weekend

:-\\

So this must be what Robert Johnson called "Sweet Home Chicago"!
:o

"But Daley said joblessness does not justify violence.

'When the killing is done, you still don't have a job, in fact, it greatly decreases the chances that you ever ... will have a job,' he said."

Boy, this guy's a genius!  If I had such astute powers of observation, maybe I could be mayor too...at least if my daddy was also mayor!
:D

Written By: saver on 04/26/08 at 5:22 pm

^ And all those god-fearing, bible thumpers, who love to put their words gods mouth always seem to deviate when it comes to "Thou Shalt Not Kill"  I don't see an unless or but in there.  Where is that moral imperative?

It depends what 'KILL' is....Bible quoters will find in the OLD TESTAMENT(was that when the Commandments were issued), will read of the armies killing those who didn't believe in God and worshipped oither gods.

How do they explain that ocurrance?  ..If the actual translation of KILL was MURDER...then all is in line..THOU SHALT NOT MURDER..then we can KILL those who murder as punishment...

Written By: EthanM on 04/26/08 at 8:04 pm

I think the best translation is "murder", but just because it isn't forbidden by the bible doesn't make something right.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/27/08 at 6:18 am

It depends what 'KILL' is....Bible quoters will find in the OLD TESTAMENT(was that when the Commandments were issued), will read of the armies killing those who didn't believe in God and worshipped oither gods.

Hypocrisy is not uncommon among we who were raised as "christian".  Translating the bible to ones own end isn't unknown.  Do you know that in the ancient Greek language, the language of the bible that was used to translate our modern day Protestant bible, a "virgin" was an unmarried woman?  Where does that leave Mary?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/27/08 at 9:24 am

Hypocrisy is not uncommon among we who were raised as "christian".  Translating the bible to ones own end isn't unknown.  Do you know that in the ancient Greek language, the language of the bible that was used to translate our modern day Protestant bible, a "virgin" was an unmarried woman?  Where does that leave Mary?

Not only that you have various translations of the Bible.  The King James, then there is the Catholic bible, the New International.  Then there is the Gnostic Gospels that say Mary Magdalene was closer to Jesus than any of the male disciples.  Which is probably why the Catholic Church aways portrayed her as a prostitute.  Nothing like a little male-dominating ego to hide the fact that a  woman may have been important. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/28/08 at 7:43 pm

How do they explain that ocurrance?   ..If the actual translation of KILL was MURDER...then all is in line..THOU SHALT NOT MURDER..then we can KILL those who murder as punishment...

Yeah the 10 Commandments are pretty simple.  Too simple.  We couldn't expect Moses to haul down all that fine print from the mountain on stone tablets.  Maybe Big G can just email it to our lawyers to figure out the sub-sections and appendices....
:D

Check for new replies or respond here...