» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Longest Religious Thread Ever

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/27/08 at 9:42 pm

Why not?

From Christianity to Bhuddism to warshiping Rutabagas, it's all here.

Subject: Re: Longest Religious Thread Ever

Written By: Tia on 04/28/08 at 10:10 am

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/original/0907hitchens.jpg

athiests are just a little sexier!  8)

Written By: philbo on 04/28/08 at 3:23 pm

warshiping Rutabagas

Warshiping?

...making a Rutabaga destroyer?  Now that might be worth forming a religion about :)

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/29/08 at 7:44 am

Rudi Gulliani should form his own church since he's doing a lot to piss-off the Catholics.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/29/08 at 6:00 pm

Rudi Gulliani should form his own church since he's doing a lot to piss-off the Catholics.

He's not the only one who's pissed off the Catholic Church.  I'd suggest a spin off group for those who can't hack traditional Catholicism.

Written By: midnite on 04/29/08 at 10:59 pm

Religion is a method to keep people from killing, raping, and stealing.  "Your every move is being watched, therefore you must be good."

On the other hand, the world is so complex and amazing, that someone (God) had to have created it.

I believe Da Vinci compared the earth to a clock and God to a clockmaker.  He created the world and has backed off to let it run its course.

Written By: Zoso on 04/30/08 at 9:20 am

On the other hand, the world is so complex and amazing, that someone (God) had to have created it.

The universe is anything but amazing. That's why the term "intelligent design" is so laughable. In our solar system, Earth is the only planet that can support life in some places some of the time. It absurd to think that "someone" created it. But I hear a lot of people who are agnostic or whatever say something a long the line of "the universe must have come from somewhere. There must have been a God in the beginning who created it all. Even if he didn't do it exactly as the Bible said he did". All that's doing is filling to void until a real answer comes along. That's all God has ever been. Just a temporary answer until we could find the real answer that is backed up with sufficient evidence and years of research. Believe it or not, before people knew why it rains, people thought God was crying. People have always attributed things they could've find the answer to, to God. But only until science provides the real answer. So now you may say 'there must have been a God or else how did this universe come into existence?' But when we can actually find out the real answer, you wont be saying it anymore.

Written By: Tia on 04/30/08 at 9:48 am

the current thinking on that is that our brains are just not capable of understanding the true reality of the universe. that's why we get up somewhere around superstring theory and indeterminacy and then folks seem to just kinda throw up their hands.

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/30/08 at 2:25 pm

The universe is anything but amazing. That's why the term "intelligent design" is so laughable. In our solar system, Earth is the only planet that can support life in some places some of the time. It absurd to think that "someone" created it. But I hear a lot of people who are agnostic or whatever say something a long the line of "the universe must have come from somewhere. There must have been a God in the beginning who created it all. Even if he didn't do it exactly as the Bible said he did". All that's doing is filling to void until a real answer comes along. That's all God has ever been. Just a temporary answer until we could find the real answer that is backed up with sufficient evidence and years of research. Believe it or not, before people knew why it rains, people thought God was crying. People have always attributed things they could've find the answer to, to God. But only until science provides the real answer. So now you may say 'there must have been a God or else how did this universe come into existence?' But when we can actually find out the real answer, you wont be saying it anymore.

There was a debate in a small town about "Intellegent Design".

Written By: philbo on 04/30/08 at 4:01 pm

Not that long ago, lightning and thunder were so amazing that a god had to be responsible.. a god also dragged the Sun across the sky.. sometimes the sea was so rough, it had to be a sea-god getting angry.. now we understand these natural processes, we no longer feel the need for gods to explain them.

Just because there are things about the universe we currently don't have an explanation for, it doesn't make a theistic explanation correct.

Written By: midnite on 04/30/08 at 6:25 pm

We are just microscopic ameobas in the giant universe.  True. We probably do not have the brain-power to comprehend what is out there.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/01/08 at 8:54 am

There was a debate in a small town about "Intellegent Design".

Would that small town have been named Dover PA?  Yeah, that was an attempt of a few trying to silence the many in the name of religion.

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/01/08 at 9:00 am

Would that small town have been named Dover PA?  Yeah, that was an attempt of a few trying to silence the many in the name of religion.

I believe that's the one. I did a report about it in school last year.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/01/08 at 9:20 am

That was kind of funny.  The school board was afraid to ask the parents opinion on the matter.  Most of the board was voted out the following election.

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/01/08 at 12:40 pm

That was kind of funny.  The school board was afraid to ask the parents opinion on the matter.  Most of the board was voted out the following election.

At least our opinions are safe here...for now.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/02/08 at 8:13 pm

Religion is a method to keep people from killing, raping, and stealing. 

And what a stellar track record it has... of doing exactly the opposite.

"Your every move is being watched, therefore you must be good."

At best, that's a very flawed and outdated way of thinking. I'm not saying that's your particular viewpoint, but jeez, that doesn't even work on six year olds anymore.

Religion is the greatest con in the history of mankind. It's a shame there isn't a god, 'cause then she/he/it could show himself and tell everyone they are full of it (even us pesky atheists  ;)). All the crap commited in his name... surely if he existed he wouldn't let the sheer amount of BS go uncontested. I suppose he's just too nice a guy so he lets it all go by (not), DGAF (plausible) or doesn't exist (warmer and bingo!).

Perhaps the greatest hoax in history could undo the damage from the greatest con: I wonder how many  dollars it would take to have a convincing "God" visit Earth. I'm sure it would be worth every penny... I bet David Copperfield could do it with a billion dollar budget.

I can prove my toilet is a more realistic deity than any invisible superfriend in the sky. Try me.

Ant

Written By: philbo on 05/06/08 at 8:34 am

I can prove my toilet is a more realistic deity than any invisible superfriend in the sky. Try me.

No s**t?

I think Billy Connolly once did a routine where he talked about praying to the spirits of the China Bowl.. maybe he thinks that, too :)

Written By: Jessica on 05/06/08 at 9:02 am

I'm remembering an episode of The Simpsons where Homer becomes smart after they extract a crayon from his brain and he proves that God doesn't exist. He then shows the papers to Flanders, who freaks out and burns them.

Carry on. ;D

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/06/08 at 11:32 am

I'm remembering an episode of The Simpsons where Homer becomes smart after they extract a crayon from his brain and he proves that God doesn't exist. He then shows the papers to Flanders, who freaks out and burns them.

Carry on. ;D

That Simpsons Episode was where they jumped the shark...in my opinion.

But...my pastor is doing a Summer Sermon called "The Gospel According to the Simpsons". (I'm not joking.)

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/25/08 at 2:26 pm

Here's one...Hagee or Wright?

Written By: Zoso on 05/25/08 at 4:17 pm

Here's one...Hagee or Wright?
Wright is the lesser of two evils.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/25/08 at 4:20 pm

Wright makes a bit of sense once you think about what he really said and meant.  Hagee is just a hate spewing moron who hides behind God.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/26/08 at 9:51 pm

And what a stellar track record it has... of doing exactly the opposite.

"Your every move is being watched, therefore you must be good."

At best, that's a very flawed and outdated way of thinking.

"Flawed?  Outdated?  Funny, it's working great for us!"
  - Department of Homeland Security / Komityet Gosudarstvennoy Bezopasnosti (literally, "Committee for State Security")

Written By: philbo on 05/28/08 at 4:47 pm

I guess this is worth a plug in this thread... I've been having an argument on-line recently with a chap who believes that the dinosaurs were wiped out by Noah's flood.  So I wrote

Diluvian Pie

..enjoy :)

Written By: MrCleveland on 06/04/08 at 2:07 pm

This doesn't start out as religious but it ends as a religious statement.

The Mexican Wizard predicted that Hillary Clinton would be President.

Moses has said "In Deuteronomy 18, Moses stated that God told him: "I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers; I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him. If anyone does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name, I myself will call him to account." (Deuteronomy 18: 18-19)

"But the prophet who speaks a word presumptuously in My name which I have not commanded him to speak, or which he speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet shall die." (Deuteronomy 18:20)

Professor Antonio Vazquez Alba is a false prophet.

Written By: philbo on 06/04/08 at 2:10 pm

The Mexican Wizard predicted that Hillary Clinton would be President.

Well, he's not necessarily wrong, yet.

I can see at least one scenario in which there's a second president Clinton.  Unless he explicitly said she would be *elected* president

Written By: Tia on 06/18/08 at 8:59 am

http://joshreads.com/images/0604/i060423famcirc.jpg

"This may be the first time ever that I’ve appreciated the Family Circus in a non-ironic fashion. Then again, this may be the first time that the Family Circus featured the aftermath of a ghastly parody of a religious sacrament that quickly descended into child-injuring violence. My favorite aspects: the discarded bible, face down in the grass, its pages no doubt scratched to ribbons by Kittycat in a desperate attempt to escape salvation; and the dripping water and anger-produced steam emanating from the aforementioned still-unsaved feline. I am a bit curious about the transistor radio — tuned to some cheesy contemporary Christian channel, no doubt. I also think that it was overkill to use the hose and the bucket and the water already in the birdbath. They really tried to baptize the hell out of that cat."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/18/08 at 10:41 pm

http://joshreads.com/images/0604/i060423famcirc.jpg

"This may be the first time ever that I’ve appreciated the Family Circus in a non-ironic fashion. Then again, this may be the first time that the Family Circus featured the aftermath of a ghastly parody of a religious sacrament that quickly descended into child-injuring violence. My favorite aspects: the discarded bible, face down in the grass, its pages no doubt scratched to ribbons by Kittycat in a desperate attempt to escape salvation; and the dripping water and anger-produced steam emanating from the aforementioned still-unsaved feline. I am a bit curious about the transistor radio — tuned to some cheesy contemporary Christian channel, no doubt. I also think that it was overkill to use the hose and the bucket and the water already in the birdbath. They really tried to baptize the hell out of that cat."

Something you should see:

http://garfieldminusgarfield.net/

Garfield minus Garfield.
Jon comes off like a cross between Zippy the Pinhead and Dennis the Menace!

Written By: Tia on 08/25/08 at 6:17 pm

http://static.crooksandliars.com/2008/08/jesus-loves-you-small.thumbnail.png

Written By: Tia on 08/25/08 at 6:19 pm

Something you should see:

http://garfieldminusgarfield.net/

Garfield minus Garfield.
Jon comes off like a cross between Zippy the Pinhead and Dennis the Menace!

or like the anti-hero of a sartre novel. that's great stuff.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/25/08 at 9:04 pm

http://static.crooksandliars.com/2008/08/jesus-loves-you-small.thumbnail.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/auciker/GayJesus.jpg

*Runs for her life*

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/25/08 at 10:56 pm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/auciker/GayJesus.jpg

*Runs for her life*
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Haman on 08/28/08 at 5:19 am

Yes, Conservatives are oh so stupid and Liberals are oh so smart and sophisticated.

I tend to think, however, that Fundamentalist Muslims and Islamofascists are far more stupid than our Conservatives.

To not see it is tantamount to being retarded.

By the way, I see many pictures treating Christianity with scorn, which is okay by me. I don’t see, however, that many pictures laughing at Islam.

Make no mistake about it: I am NOT a Conservative and I have no intention of defending Christianity. I realized a long time ago that the goal of the Christian religion is to enslave human beings, which is the same mission that other religions have, such as Islam, Buddhism or Liberalism.

What, Liberalism is not a religion? Oh, I’m sorry but it is, actually: it has a creed that believes in values that go against human nature (equality, universal brotherhood of mankind, etc.), it certainly has dogmas that are “unquestionable”, it has taboos (some things simply cannot be mentioned, much less discussed), it has messiahs… Do I really have to go on?

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/28/08 at 10:31 am

I think there is a big difference between revealed religions and what I would call philosophical ones, such as Buddhism or Tao, which have no anthropomorphic "god".  I also disagree with the notion that liberalism is a religion, except in the philosophical sense or among fanatics.  Further, one could say the same things about some conservatives, although not all.

Written By: philbo on 08/30/08 at 4:12 am

By the way, I see many pictures treating Christianity with scorn, which is okay by me. I don’t see, however, that many pictures laughing at Islam.

Although it's easy to say that it's because people are frightened of poking fun at Islam, I think it's largely because people know more about Christianity, and its inherent sillinesses, that we see more pictures (and parodies) poking fun at Christianity.  In order to maintain balance, I wrote a few parodies about Islam - I had to do a load of research to make sure I was taking the piss out of Islam, not the misreported, frequently bigoted view of the religion.

And you're stretching the word "religion" close to breaking point describing "liberalism" as a religion.. by that yardstick, you'd pretty much have to include Conservatism and any other -ism anybody feels like putting forward.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/30/08 at 11:30 am

What, Liberalism is not a religion? Oh, I’m sorry but it is, actually: it has a creed that believes in values that go against human nature (equality, universal brotherhood of mankind, etc.), it certainly has dogmas that are “unquestionable”, it has taboos (some things simply cannot be mentioned, much less discussed), it has messiahs… Do I really have to go on?

Human nature is a slippery issue.  Sure you can say humans are selfish, brutish, cruel, nasty etc, but we are also the total opposite of those things.  IOW there is no fixed human nature but a paradoxical mix of opposites, its very dialectical.

"Liberalism" has no such dogmas, although some liberals do.

I'm not sure what taboos you refer to, but if you mean that liberals reject the idea of inherent superiority and inferiority based on race, sex, national origin etc. you could say it was a taboo, but the fact is these ideas are just plain wrong.

And as to a messiah, wHo would that be?  Certainly not OBAMA.

Written By: Haman on 08/31/08 at 2:46 pm

And you're stretching the word "religion" close to breaking point describing "liberalism" as a religion.. by that yardstick, you'd pretty much have to include Conservatism and any other -ism anybody feels like putting forward.

First of all, thank you for being interested in my post.

Secondly, you are right!

Of course Liberalism is not a religion in the strict sense of the word. I was trying to make a strong argument using that analogy as a rhetoric weapon for shock value.

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/31/08 at 2:48 pm

First of all, thank you for being interested in my post.

Secondly, you are right!

Of course Liberalism is not a religion in the strict sense of the word. I was trying to make a strong argument using that analogy as a rhetoric weapon for shock value.

Just like Communism. But it does have a 'Cult of Personality'.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/03/08 at 1:45 am

If God exists, then Futurama, Season 3, Episiode 20, Godfellas is the most insightful sermon ever penned. 

Written By: Tia on 12/04/08 at 12:49 pm

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9GHoR-RJLy8/STbJXvI9IcI/AAAAAAAAJtc/DbOs8y6zzTY/s320/Holychurchofbacon.png

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/04/08 at 1:20 pm

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9GHoR-RJLy8/STbJXvI9IcI/AAAAAAAAJtc/DbOs8y6zzTY/s320/Holychurchofbacon.png

Guess converting Jews is not on the agenda.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/04/08 at 1:57 pm

Guess converting Jews is not on the agenda.

You would not believe how many Jews LOVE bacon, pork, & ham. My grandfather & great-grandfather who were supposed to be kosher would go to a Chines restaurant and order sweet & sour pork. And my grandmother, who lived in a Jewish retirement community, ordered a ham & cheese sandwich once when we took her out to lunch.

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/04/08 at 2:12 pm

You would not believe how many Jews LOVE bacon, pork, & ham. My grandfather & great-grandfather who were supposed to be kosher would go to a Chines restaurant and order sweet & sour pork. And my grandmother, who lived in a Jewish retirement community, ordered a ham & cheese sandwich once when we took her out to lunch.

Cat

Ham and Cheese, that's a Double-Whammy for Jews.

They don't even order Cheeseburgers.

And the reason why Islam never caught on in Germany is that Germans would have to give up pork and beer!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/04/08 at 2:20 pm

Cat

If you don't follow the rules of kosher yes some do.  My friend is a Reformed Jew and he eats sausage on pizza.  I think the Kosher rule is only a big issue with Orthodox and Conservative Jews.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/04/08 at 11:51 pm

There's nothing my friend Chaim likes better than rabbit stew and a nice glass of human blood!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/vampanim.gif

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/05/08 at 1:18 pm

There's nothing my friend Chaim likes better than rabbit stew and a nice glass of human blood!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/vampanim.gif

Sounds like a tribute to Good Friday and Easter.  :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/05/08 at 1:26 pm

Sounds like a tribute to Good Friday and Easter.  :o

It does!  I hadn't thought of that.  I just said rabbit 'cos it's not kosher.  I've never had rabbit, though I hear it's very tasty if done right.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/05/08 at 1:46 pm

It does!  I hadn't thought of that.  I just said rabbit 'cos it's not kosher.  I've never had rabbit, though I hear it's very tasty if done right.

I haven't had it either. I wonder if it taste just like chicken.  :D

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/08/08 at 12:03 pm

I've never had wild rabbit, but I have cooked and eaten domestic, which we bought already cleaned and frozen.  It does taste like chicken.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/08/08 at 1:13 pm

I have had it once when I was younger.  The only thing I remember is my dad telling me what I ate after I was done.  I think I was 5.  It made me cry. ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/08/08 at 1:32 pm

I have had it once when I was younger.  The only thing I remember is my dad telling me what I ate after I was done.  I think I was 5.  It made me cry. ;D

My friend had it done to him on Easter.  Mention Easter bunny to him and he cringes. ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 12/08/08 at 3:51 pm

On Easter?  That's just mean. ;D

Written By: Tia on 12/08/08 at 3:56 pm

http://static.flickr.com/40/117150011_68bd3e6dd7.jpg

yum! someone pass the butter!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/08/08 at 4:41 pm

On Easter?  That's just mean. ;D

Yes.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/08/08 at 4:42 pm

http://static.flickr.com/40/117150011_68bd3e6dd7.jpg

yum! someone pass the butter!

Not fair you had to post a cute one.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/08/08 at 8:45 pm

Not fair you had to post a cute one.

OK, how about this one?

http://barfblog.foodsafety.ksu.edu/monty.python.holy.grail.bunny.rabbit.jpg

I warned you, but did you listen to me? Oh, no, you knew, didn't you? Oh, it's just a harmless little bunny, isn't it?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/08/08 at 10:27 pm

It's the Killer Rabbit Tim the Enchanter warned about.  Quick where is the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch?  :D

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/09/08 at 11:20 am

I seem to remember something about Jimmy Carter and a vicious rabbit.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/09/08 at 1:51 pm

I seem to remember something about Jimmy Carter and a vicious rabbit.

Wasn't that Harvey?  Oh Jimmy Carter. NOT Jimmy Stewart.  ;) :D :D ;D ;D

"Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit".

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/09/08 at 2:16 pm

It's the Killer Rabbit Tim the Enchanter warned about.  Quick where is the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch?  :D

"Two shalt thou not count, nor shalt thou count four...five is right out!"
8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/09/08 at 2:19 pm

I've never had wild rabbit, but I have cooked and eaten domestic, which we bought already cleaned and frozen.  It does taste like chicken.

Indeed, Teddy Roosevelt had his grizzly bear and Jimmeh Cawtah had his, um, rabbit.
:-\\

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Carter_rabbit_incident

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/09/08 at 10:38 pm

Indeed, Teddy Roosevelt had his grizzly bear and Jimmeh Cawtah had his, um, rabbit.
:-\\

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Carter_rabbit_incident

Those "Swamp Rabbits" are pretty nasty.  As I recall the grizzly bear is now know as the Teddy Bear. ;D

Written By: Tia on 01/09/09 at 4:34 pm

http://thebloggess.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/img_1879.jpg

Written By: philbo on 01/09/09 at 6:42 pm

http://thebloggess.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/img_1879.jpg

"First Assembly of God"???

Bunch of FAGs, you ask me ;)

and "Jesus Died for Myspace in Heaven" - that's a Lucy in the Sky parody, ain't it?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/09/09 at 7:42 pm

"First Assembly of God"???

Bunch of FAGs, you ask me ;)

and "Jesus Died for Myspace in Heaven" - that's a Lucy in the Sky parody, ain't it?

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/capnmorgan2007/FAG.png

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/10/09 at 6:52 pm

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/capnmorgan2007/FAG.png

MATT DAMON!

God, I love that film because of that!

Check for new replies or respond here...